PDA

View Full Version : ASMFC 24" Striped bass meetings & others

finchaser
04-22-2010, 12:06 PM
This is from Al Ristori's Conservation watch column

The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC Striped Bass Management Board meets on May 4 from 9:45 to 11:45 a.m. at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town in Alexandria, VA, to take up several contentious issues, including declining catches, an- attempt to increase- commercial quotas, and a proposed 24-Inch mimum in New Jersey.
- I’ve received numerous reports of- lower striped bass abundance from all along the coast. By no means is this anything like the scarcity we * experienced a couple of decades ago, but the trend Is disturbing. Recreational landings of more -than 2.2 million stripers weighing 12,310 metric tons in 2008 are very Impressive when compared from the low of 336 metric tons in 1989, but also represent a 17 percent decrease from 2006.Thére were actually Increases in 2008 from Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York, while the remaining states averaged a 32 percent decease Reports from the states with better fishing in 2008 indIcate they weren’t duplicated last year.
A veteran angler’s recent report on the Bass Barn website a big drop in small bass in a Maryland river that’s usually crammed, with them in the spring has created further anxiety, as have dire reports of spreading mycobacteriosis disease in the Chesapeake. With all of those warning signs, it’s hard to believe that an increase in commercial quota, -proposed by New York at the last ASMFC meeting, will be considered.
The ASMFC Advisory Panel had a conference call last week to discuss a conservation equivalency proposal by the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife and the NJ Marine Fisheries Council to permit a change in striped bass regulations from the coastal standard of two at a 28-inch minimum to one bass of 24 inches or greater plus a second of 32 inches or greater. The Technical Committee determined - that change wouldnt decrease the spawning stock biomass, and the panel favored it in an 8 to 2 vote — though both some proponents and opponents had reservations about their votes. As a New Jersey recreational and charter boat advisor from New Jersey, I supported the proposal because it would give surf fishermen a much better chance of catching a keeper. From a boater’s viewpoint, there could be some lessening of pressure on large bass, but it’s a mixed bag for boaters. One party boat skipper opposes it because a second keeper at 32 inches will be harder to achieve, while another looks forward to fall jigging when there are ‘lots of bass, but often few that make 28 inches. If the ASMFC accepts this change, and it works out as assumed, it’s likely that other states will put forth similar proposals. Even if the, ASMFC supports the proposal next month, New Jersey anglers will have to make their decision on a regulation that hasn’t been widely publicized in the state as yetand must still go through the legislative process. It could be effective this year, but is more likely to be set for 2011.
Other key Management Board meetings next month include the Atlantic Herring Section on May 3 from 3:15 to 5:45 p.m.; the Summer Flounder, Scup and Black Sea Bass Board on May 4 from 8-9:30 a.m., and the Weakfish Board at 1-2:30 p.m. that day. On May 5, the American Eel Board is on from 11:15 to noon, followed by the Atlantic Menhaden Board from 2:45 to 5:30 p.m. On May 6, the Spiny Dogfish & Coastal Sharks Board meets from 9:15 to 10:15 a.m.
THE FISHERMAN • APRIL 22, 2010

porgy75
04-22-2010, 01:35 PM
This is from Al Ristori's Conservation watch column

-I’ve received numerous reports of- lower striped bass abundance from all along the coast. By no means is this anything like the scarcity we * experienced a couple of decades ago, but the trend Is disturbing. Recreational landings of more -than 2.2 million stripers weighing 12,310 metric tons in 2008 are very Impressive when compared from the low of 336 metric tons in 1989, but also represent a 17 percent decrease from 2006.Thére were actually Increases in 2008 from Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York, while the remaining states averaged a 32 percent decease Reports from the states with better fishing in 2008 indIcate they weren’t duplicated last year.
A veteran angler’s recent report on the Bass Barn website a big drop in small bass in a Maryland river that’s usually crammed, with them in the spring has created further anxiety, as have dire reports of spreading mycobacteriosis disease in the Chesapeake. With all of those warning signs, it’s hard to believe that an increase in commercial quota, -proposed by New York at the last ASMFC meeting, will be considered.

Hello is anyone listening out there? If so what is the point of making it a regulation that we can keep smaller bass, Can anyone explain this to me?

DarkSkies
04-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Beginning of the end, I give up. :don't know why:

seamonkey
04-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Don't give up dark, we need people like you and finchaser to post these things up. I think they should have 2 at 24" and not allow you to keep bigger breeders, or get a tag to get 2 trophy fish a year. I think they do something like that in VA and FL, so why can't we have a regulated slot here?

jigfreak
04-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Don't give up dark, we need people like you and finchaser to post these things up. I think they should have 2 at 24" and not allow you to keep bigger breeders, or get a tag to get 2 trophy fish a year. I think they do something like that in VA and FL, so why can't we have a regulated slot here?

Cmon Dark, you are not giving up on us, please don't or I will start a website for Obama Muslim stamp lovers.:moon: :HappyWave:

I like the 2 at 24" option, people are keeping entirely too much big fish.

porgy75
04-22-2010, 08:25 PM
If people are concerned about too many big fish being kept why are the size keepers not between 24" and 35"?