PDA

View Full Version : picky spring bluefish in the surf?

porgy75
04-22-2010, 01:47 PM
^^ Cardoc you had some of the right tools but these spring surf bluefish are sometimes picky unless there's a heavy concentration of bait around.

I was thinking about Darkskies saying this. Some other guys have said the bluefish are so easy to catch you can catch them on hot dogs or popcorn.

Why are bluefish picky, what makes them that way? Why do they seem harder to catch in the spring, is it related to water temperature?

speedy
04-22-2010, 06:08 PM
they eat any thing one time i took a spoon from home cut the handle off drilled two holes in it put a hook on one end whipped it out there i was catching blues for a good hour non stop blue fish are nuts you know.lol

jigfreak
04-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Why do they seem harder to catch in the spring, is it related to water temperature?

Yes.
you can catch them on bait a lot easier than artificials when it's cold. If the water is near the 50s, a slow presentation or bucktail and pork should get them to hit.

surfstix1963
04-23-2010, 05:20 AM
Water temp will do it as mentioned above or they have possibly just had a good meal and are full even blues don't feed all the time.They may also be on the move and are not going to stop and eat.For the most part they are easy to catch

gjb1969
04-23-2010, 12:17 PM
i have had good sucess with steady retrive all the blues i got this week came from the right i cast left pulled the line tite and just dug the plug in to the sand and just reeled and there they were other guys reels fast or very slow they wanted it nice and steady as long as i felt bottom thats were the fish were and doing that got me mugged by two guys who were not geting anything so i must have bin doing it right for that day

DarkSkies
04-23-2010, 04:38 PM
I had about 42 bluefish hit on my presentations today, only landed 12 of them to the sand. Similar experience last night in the dark. I had to work for each of those hits, and change up my strategy quite often. Some of them were hitting like fluke or white perch.

They are extremely picky in cold water. Really, it's more a function of their metabolism than them being picky. I would rather use the term sluggish. Once the water is 10 degrees warmer they will behave differently. The water where I was fishing was very close to 50, ice cold. That's my experience, others may differ.

bluesdude71
04-25-2010, 07:20 AM
Yes.
you can catch them on bait a lot easier than artificials when it's cold. If the water is near the 50s, a slow presentation or bucktail and pork should get them to hit.

Yessir.

lostatsea
04-25-2010, 10:23 AM
I find if they are hungry enough they will grab at just about anything I throw.

I like to stay with mag darters and bucktails.