PDA

View Full Version : 4500 lbs of bass

Pebbles
04-22-2010, 06:53 PM
This goes to show how much the striped bass has declined over the years. They served 4500 lbs which was caught in Montauk the night before.

"When her Majesty Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip dined at the Waldorf in 1957, Claude Philippe, with a Gallic regard for Americana, had prepared, 4,500 pounds of striped bass for the royal feast. Monsieur Philippe, who currently heads the Lucullus Circle in New York, presented the fish with a champagne sauce surrounded by golden fleurons. The bass had been caught a scant 24 hours before in the salty waters of Montauk. Her Majesty pronounced the fish a culinary masterpiece, and somehow it seemed that Captain John Smith had triumphed in the end."- also In The Encyclopedia of Fish Cookery

surfstix1963
04-23-2010, 05:03 AM
Nice tidbit of info Pebbles Thanks.The decline is getting worse again as far as the bigger fish hopefully the smaller ones will make it to breeding size. Did you break in that new rod yet if so lets see some pics.:HappyWave::d

plugginpete
04-23-2010, 05:38 PM
The decline in bass over the years is quite amazing. Thanks for posting it pebbles.

Pebbles
04-23-2010, 05:49 PM
I thought it was interesting that years ago this was allowed to happen.

Yes, I was able to try out my new rod, but failed to catch anything that night. It became a south wind and put those fish down.

surfstix1963
04-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Next time how do you like it is it better on your shoulder.