PDA

View Full Version : white perch for food, white perch for bait?

plugginpete
04-26-2010, 06:47 PM
Who catches them here?
What do you use, just put little worms on small hooks?

Did anyone ever catch them and liveline them for bass. They look like they would be great bait because they're a bit smaller than bunker. Thanks, guys.

clamchucker
05-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Who catches them here?
What do you use, just put little worms on small hooks?

Did anyone ever catch them and liveline them for bass. They look like they would be great bait because they're a bit smaller than bunker. Thanks, guys.

Yes pluggin pete, you can catch them in the back bay areas and the estuaries. You just use small trout style hooks, throw it out with a light weight, and wait for the fish. If they are there you will know it. Using them for bass might be illegal, it might not. I am not sure on that one. We used to do it all the time though. The older anglers I know of, and myself, have caught some nice bass in the 20# class using this method. What we used to do is catch them, put them in the live well. We would live line the smaller ones by drifting in a boat under a bridge. Bass love them. They are a good fish to use if the bass are not big enough to swallow a whole bunker and you want to find an alternate bait.