PDA

View Full Version : Oil spills and fishing

strikezone31
04-29-2010, 06:00 PM
They are doing controlled burns on the oil spill, I can't help but think that there is still going to be some sort of damage done to fish which of course will effect the fisherman.

How is this going to effect us down the line?

surfwalker
04-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Now 3 miles from the Louisana shoreline/estimated 5,000 barrels (200,000 gallons) per day gushing out of that thing. The effect will linger for years in the areas it contaminates.

Sorta makes MPA's laws look like a joke compared to what corporate America can screw up.

jonthepain
04-30-2010, 07:07 AM
i'd be totally shocked if it wasn't some environmental group that blew it up for "earth day."

surfwalker
04-30-2010, 07:48 AM
I thought about that, jon, nothing surprises me anymore. If you can think it, someone might attempt it. We'll never know.

surferman
05-05-2010, 05:34 PM
2010 Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill (http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/)

Fishing still safe off Florida coastline, officials say
ByAssociated

May 05, 2010, 3:06PM

http://media.nola.com/tpphotos/photo/-14e62d150e3eeca8_medium.jpgTimes-Picayune archiveFlorida Agriculture Commissioner Charles Bronson said Wednesday the state's seafood remains completely safe. Florida officials say they have no intention of shutting down commercial or recreational fishing off the state's coastline because of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

State and some federal agencies are continually sampling fish and shellfish habitats in the Gulf to see what effect the uncontrolled oil spill might have on the seafood industry.

Florida Agriculture Commissioner Charles Bronson said Wednesday the state's seafood remains completely safe and that there is no reason for authorities to shut down fishing in the Gulf.
Agency leaders said they are concerned that misconceptions about the safety of Florida's seafood business could have a crippling effect on the state's fishing and tourism industries.

baitstealer
05-06-2010, 06:02 PM
This is going to destroy the fishing in that area for many years. How are the lifelong fisherman going to be compensated? I hear some of them have obtained jobs with the oil company to help clean up the mess. I bet there is not enough boats out there to help.

lostatsea
05-07-2010, 05:02 PM
At first they said it was not that bad. Yet this is getting worse by the day.

More of Gulf closed to fishing because of spill

NEW ORLEANS – Federal officials have expanded an area that is off-limits to fishing because of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said Friday an area from the Southwest Pass of the Mississippi River to south of Pensacola, Fla., is now closed. NOAA spokeswoman Christine Patrick said the initial closure was 6,814 square miles and the new area is 10,807 square miles.

Late Thursday, Louisiana officials closed shrimping in state waters from South Pass of the Mississippi to the eastern shore of Four Bayous Pass just east of Grand Isle.

Earlier, state waters east of the Mississippi were closed to seafood harvesting.

cowherder
05-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Now 3 miles from the Louisana shoreline/estimated 5,000 barrels (200,000 gallons) per day gushing out of that thing. The effect will linger for years in the areas it contaminates.

Sorta makes MPA's laws look like a joke compared to what corporate America can screw up.

I agree, and the fines they have to pay are quite often small compared to the total damage. The only way for people to get compensation for the losses is to sue them like in a class action suit.