PDA

View Full Version : what is it about Sandy Hook?

baitstealer
04-30-2010, 06:36 PM
On all gthe internet sites out there they talk about fishing at Sandy Hook. The tackle shop internet sites say go there and fish. Is it a more awesome place to fish than anywhere else? I was trying to doi research and see if any 40pound cows were caught there, but I couldn't find any. is it really better than lbi, ibsp, point pleasant, belmar, or the hudson river? why, because it sticks out so much?:huh:

gjb1969
04-30-2010, 07:42 PM
it sits out river on one side ocean on the other fish stage there and so dose bait it has a little of everything rock rip rap sand holes cuts rips shallow and deep water what more could a fish want:fishing:

lostatsea
04-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Honestly I think the Long Branch/ Asbury area is better because of the jetties and structure on the bottom. That's just my opinion. :don't know why:

rip316
04-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Sandy hook has alot of wide open beach. You rally have to be a serious beach reader and surfcaster to score there regularly. I am a believer in structure just by fishing with Dark one night. Channels, jettys, are the best bet. Moving water is the best place to find the predators. IMO.

finchaser
04-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Honestly I think the Long Branch/ Asbury area is better because of the jetties and structure on the bottom. That's just my opinion. :don't know why:

What he said ^^^SH is not one of my favorites by land or sea never was.

buckethead
05-01-2010, 10:14 AM
I guess cause it is closer to home. There are a lot of different areas to go to if one spot is not working out. You don't have to drive miles to change.

GeoffT
05-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Sandy Hook is consistently productive, highly so in certain times of the year, but you have to know where to go and when to go to score consistently. Besides bait, wind and tide are important factors.

When bunker and other bait begin exiting the bays and rivers to the ocean, they have to go around the Hook with predators following. There's no better place to be during these times.

I rarely skunk at the Hook. It's a shock when I do.

SharkHart
05-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Well its a state park is a big reason.

When boat fishing the famous bunker schools do seem to routinely stop or tail off just below the hook, therefore the super larges may not be taken as often

fishinmission78
05-01-2010, 03:33 PM
You yankees can have sandy hook, I'll take Island beach and the cuts and sandbar structure of Ocean county any day.

finchaser
05-01-2010, 04:57 PM
You yankees can have sandy hook, I'll take Island beach and the cuts and sandbar structure of Ocean county any day.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::thumbsup:

captnemo
05-01-2010, 06:29 PM
From a fishing from a boat perspective?
current

cowherder
09-22-2014, 10:29 AM

Yeah what happens when there is just one sandbar and few cuts don't all the guys rush for the prime spots? no thanks!

surfrob
09-22-2014, 02:41 PM
Yeah what happens when there is just one sandbar and few cuts don't all the guys rush for the prime spots? no thanks!

or a bit further south where there is no bar, and no cuts... thus no structure at all! ya know... the *real* south jersey.

SH is an interesting place in and of itself, and when I was nearby it had it all at one time or another, but by SH I included everywhere from LB ocean front through the river.

Had some epic times out on False Hook, all hours day / night at different seasons. You can have albies, runs of weaks, fluke available the entire summer, all right at your feet. No real cows usually except certain times and places ( ;) ) and of course some years better than others.

As to beauty and interest, if you include the sedges and North Jetty, then IBSP is probably a better year round destination, but face it, everywhere along the coast has something of interest over the other at *some* point, right? :D

DarkSkies
05-23-2015, 01:57 PM
Just a reminder to Mr Monty about what he will be missing when he leaves our state....:(

seamonkey
05-23-2015, 02:26 PM
I don't know a lot about the northern beaches but I heard you can't drive on sandy hook. That would be a negative for me. My.02

Monty
05-23-2015, 03:23 PM
I don't know a lot about the northern beaches but I heard you can't drive on sandy hook. That would be a negative for me. My.02

Would be unreal crowded and I would think complete devastation with vehicles on the beach. Not enough space.
Some of the spots are a decent walk away and guarded by gorilla mosquitoes, that's likely the only reason they are fish-able areas at times.

cowherder
05-23-2015, 06:33 PM
NO ORV VEHICLES FOR SANDY HOOK! PLEASE! HOPE THAT NEVER HAPPENS!:burn: :2flip::scared: