PDA

View Full Version : NJ fishing reports for May 1-14, 2010

cardoc765
05-01-2010, 08:47 AM
So we went back out last night in the back bay. Water was calm and a slight warm breeze. Hour into the out going started getting hits and managed 1 keeper. 2 hours into the out going they really started hitting and we ran out of clam right after mrs cardoc got a really nice hit. I am sooooo beat from walking the sand and wading out all day yesterday and last night. Didn't see any blues last night and mrs cardoc saw a fish come to the top of the water and make a big swirl.

Hope you feel better pebbles. We still need to get out there.

buckethead
05-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Fished early morning at SH. Pulled in one keeper on a bucktail.

SharkHart
05-01-2010, 02:19 PM
First i went 3 hours without a bite, moved the ship/ aka my feet about 15 miles north, I found a ton of 16-21" bass boiling the bay waters on the outgoing tide. Got a bunch of them fiesty suckers, a lot were even picky even with one of the largest amount of surface activity and poping ive ever seen. A near by spot had a couple of fish that didnt look like toys :d in the 25-28", think i got 4 in that model size. Struck out looking for ocean side blues at first light

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/SharkHart/101_9297-1.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/SharkHart/april301.jpg

DarkSkies
05-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
IBSP - Island Beach State Park
LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
AI - Absecon Inlet
CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
CMC - Cape May County
CMR - Cape May Rips
GEI - Great Egg Inlet
TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
BB - Barnegat Bay
CB - Chesapeake Bay
CBBT - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
DB - Delaware Bay

DarkSkies
05-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Stripermania you won the plug in the April random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

PM me your info so I can send it out. Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site!:clapping:

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits, or something similar.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)

Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site! :clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&thumb=1&d=1238965319 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&d=1238965319)

DarkSkies
05-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Had a long day today, most of it was not fishin, but I did meet some good people along the way. :thumbsup:

5-5:30am - out back - picked up one medium blue on a storm shad at my first stop. Tide dropped, and on to the next spot.

6-9am - the beach nomoco- spent too much time here because of past productivity. There was a 1/2 hour flurry of bluefish activity on artificials. SS littleneck poppers were the ticket, I had none in my bag. Some bass were also caught on clams, but generally the morning seemed slower action than it had been. Ocean is warming up, but the water was a little dirty for the incoming. Light W breeze about 5mph.

To the 2 friends I fished near this morning, and the Dad and his sons (Internet name Ambassador?)....
I hope you remember the place I told you to check out on the way home. They had action with big blues today there. sustained action for 7hours, hundreds of big blues beached.

If you don't remember the place contact me through this site's e-mail. You should definitely consider taking your sons there tomorrow. If the weather conditions don't change drastically by then, you should all have a blast as those big blues should be there once more. :lookhappy: :wow: :fishing:

So on the way home I stopped at a back bay area. The water was stained, looked like toilet water. You couldn't see 1 foot down, heavy algae bloom, the bunker should be happy. :d

There were about 70 people fishing a 1/4 mile stretch of beach, and quite a few bystanders. Many of them were hooked up with very large blues at the same time. I spoke to a few guys going home, nice to meet ya's. :HappyWave:

They said the best action had been on krocodile type spoons. I geared up for the bluefish metal fest :headbang:and set out to find a casting spot. I started throwing metal and catching nice blues.

I want to be clear about when people say they had them on every cast. There may have been a few people there today with that experience, but for the most part I would call it a steady, sustained bite. Every few casts you would have a hit or a hookup, as some were missed in that stained water.

The presentation was important as well. The dirty water neccessitated the flashiest of spoons for the fish to see it.

What worked:
krocodiles, or kroc substitutes, gator spoons, kastmasters, and small ss type bottle plugs. Also a few were picked up on Roberts rangers, but not many.

To prove how specific the presentation needed to be, I went through my bag to find metals that were less effective:
ava jigs (though a few were catching on these)
hopkins (maybe not flashy enough)

There was also small bait in the shallows at the beginning of the ebb, and possibly cinder worms from a cinder worm hatch.

There was one guy getting them on almost every cast. He was using a heavier Deadly ****. I think this was part of the reason he was so successful, and the fact he was casting about 20 yards further than everyone else.

I fished there 2 1/2 hours. The best action was as I got there, fish were in close. With the ebb tide they gradually moved out further. I was told they had action since 6am, which gave everyone who was there for the duration over 7 hours of pretty great action.

It was so great that some of the Ocean County crews were there, Ellen and John, Ron Muccie's friends, and several other groups from OC.

I just don't want to hype this up like some people are prone to do, but for me it was great fishing, and intense fun fighting angry blues, the majority of whom tailwalked as you fought to bring them to shore. :wow:

I remarked to the guy next to me as he was battling a 10# blue on a small SS bottle plug: "Wow what crazy action, blues to 10# tail walking!"
He said: 'Yeah,I'm kind of jaded by now, we had them to 15lbs this morning!" ;) :scared:

That was the best part of today's fishing for me, the tail walking and the energy of these blues in warm water. I live for fights like these from shore with gator blues. You all can catch all the smaller bass you want every day, I'll take these monster blues over bass the same size every time. :dribble:

I got 12 to 11# and kept 4.

You could tell by the hoots and hollers that people were having a great time. Young and old were in the game here, though as I said those who dialed in to the metals above definitely got more fish.

If Dads are taking younger children to see and catch these, maybe it might be a good idea for the Dad to hook the fish first and then hand off the rod.

In all, it was a great way to end what started out as a slow day of fishin. :plastered:

fishinmission78
05-01-2010, 06:04 PM
IBSP 3-8am, 1 bass 34", many big blues, poppers. Bass on metal lip swimmer.

captnemo
05-01-2010, 06:25 PM
We got into a decent bite today near the Shrewsbury rocks. Bass to 16lbs, jigging. Saw rainfish near the Hook on the way home. Things are falling into place now fellas.

storminsteve
05-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Intense action today with tackle busting blues in the back of rb, it was amazing how fat they were. They have to be eating well. Lost a few crocs as they must have swallowed them whole and bit my leader. Anyone finds a blue with a croc in him you can keep the croc as my gift to bluefish insanity.:d
Dark great report you're right about needing flashy surface metals to get them, that water wasn't toilet water it was diarrhea water!

cowherder
05-01-2010, 08:03 PM
I got 3 bass at nomoco today on clams, to 34.5". 2 keepers, one short. Kept one at 28" because I didn't know I was going to get another bigger one. I don't know if the 34.5" spawned yet but it was fat, like with eggs, so I let it go. Darkskies great report and details! :thumbsup:You guys sound like you all had an awesome day. Pebbles I was reading the April reports, I hope you feel better soon, the fish are biting!:HappyWave:

lostatsea
05-02-2010, 07:31 AM
Fished Island Beach yesterday morning before sunrise. Got one bass on a pencil popper, bass was 27.5" Once the sun came up started hitting blues on metal, got a few to 9 pounds. We had a lot of fun. Darkskies looks like you have been able to get out and fish, I'm glad to see you are catching and having a good time. I hope you feel better Pebbles, hope it's not serious. Take care and best wishes.

buckethead
05-02-2010, 07:53 AM
Nice catches guys wtg! Pebbles I hope you are able to get out there soon when you feel better, would like to see you get into some fish too.

killie
05-02-2010, 11:55 AM
went fishing this morning. need I say more? :laugh:

LennyD
05-02-2010, 08:30 PM
looks like you guys getting fish all over.
I have not done any surf fishing yet this year, just on my kayak, and I'm doing good.
thanx for everyone for the report,keep up the good work.

lennyd

SharkHart
05-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Sunday onn the boat from squan to sandy hook, dead seas :eek:

DarkSkies
05-02-2010, 10:01 PM
went fishing this morning. need I say more? :laugh:
Someone said as soon as your feet touched Jersey soil the bite in Ocean County was stopped quicker than Raid kills bugs dead. Any truth to that? :eek: :HappyWave:

Congrats to the guys who got the fat bass today, some nice fish.
Wish I could have been there. :drool:
Maybe this week.
Shark check your pms.

DarkSkies
05-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Pebbles and I set out this morning for a repeat of yesterday's back bay bluefish action so she could see if her Finchaser custom rod would handle monster blues. :scared:

We missed the hot action in the morning, blues 8-16 were caught on poppers.

When we got there it was a slow pick. We made a move to a few other places. In all we hit about 7 places and only found fish in 3. At least it was some action, but nothing compared to Sat 5-1, where the action was sustained for 7 hours. Hey that's fishin. :fishing:

We did meet a lot of great people and have some cool stories to tell. I'll try to post up some of the stories and pics in the approproate threads. Here's one of them so far...
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=6565
look for the rest by clicking the "New posts" button on the top of the page, middle of the command menu.

We got to the next back bay spot and they had a decent pick of slammer bluefish on poppers and metal. I set Pebbles up with a popper, I threw a Kastmaster with bucktail siwash. I hooked up with a nice one on the first cast and set Pebbles up with a krocodile spoon. She got a decent one but it came unbuttoned. We both had a few more hits, even as it was bright as heck out there with the sun high in the sky. The fish were there because they were feeding on small spearing in the murky water.

All about the kids fishin...
The real stars of the bite there were the younger people and kids. Some of them were bailing fish as the bite was hot for about an hour and gradually lessened. We met some cool people and I got some nice pics. :HappyWave:

Then we hit a few other locations trying to get Pebbles to land a fish. No luck until we met Chris and the Bluefish Warriors :viking: but by then we had to head back home.

In all it was a real nice day on the water. Got a chance to meet some great people, and scout some more locations.

We even found 1 more swan, and the BANANA PEEL that Rip left at the beach! :ROFLMAO ;) :HappyWave:

We had fun in the sun and the hazy slightly overcast sky. The bite was naturally better whenever the sun hid behind the clouds for a bit. Being out there and not having to be home was a bonus in itself. :thumbsup:

And it was good to see the kids catching fish, part of a new generation being turned onto fishing and the outdoors. :lookhappy:

cardoc765
05-03-2010, 10:20 AM
So my parents have been after me to take them fishing so they could have a try at some big blues and stripers. We made a day of it yesterday. Started out in the back at the top of the tide. We used bunker and clams all day. Within 10 minutes I got a really nice hit that tore my bait right off the hook.

After about another hour and no hits (only crabs stealing bait), we decided to make a move. With the out going tide, I decided that the ocean might be a better bet for them to hook up. So we headed to nomoco and got set up again. Then about an hour and a half before low, my dad lost his virginity and caught a really pretty short. He was soooo happy. I was happy to see him finally get one. Made me happier to show him that he can get them too.

Shortly after that (about 45 mins before low) I got what to me felt like the biggest hookup I had yet all season. That thing chewed the bait and when he finally swallowed it and felt that hook, oh man he took off. I set the hook and all i heard was drag. He slowed down and then took off again. My mistake was palming the reel to slow him down and making sure the hook was set good. All of a sudden as i was stopping him from taking drag, poooof he was gone. I thought, maybe a big blue and cut my leader. Nope, the braid had snapped on me higher up. Still this morning, all i think about is what i should have done differently and going thru the motions in my head. Kicking myself in the butt, because I should have know better than to try and stop a fish in the ocean surf from running. Oh well, hopefully next time. If it wouldn't have felt like the biggest one so far this season, i wouldn't be so hard on myself. My family is very close and support each other very much. My mom was jumping up and down when i had it on, and all i wanted was to land a big fish with them there.

Does braid really deteriorate that much in a season? It's new and yes i have been fishing quite a bit this year. Ima peel some off today and get ready for my next time out.

Hey Dark, we told you RIP brings bananas for a snack. NOt only does he do that, but he leaves the peels behind to mess everyone elses mojo up since he didnt get any LOL LOL LOOL LOL :beatin:

Sorry RIP had to throw that in. lmao

cardoc765
05-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Mrs cardoc wanted me to post that she got 2 sea robins as well. Really nice big ones too. Here come the fluke soon!!!!!!

fishinmission78
05-03-2010, 11:36 AM
All about the kids fishin...
The real stars of the bite there were the younger people and kids. Some of them were bailing fish as the bite was hot for about an hour and gradually lessened. We met some cool people and I got some nice pics. :HappyWave:

Great report Dark and Co. Anytme you can get kids into fish it's golden.
Fished IBSP yesterday, crazy bass and blue action near the current. Blues to 13#, metal. Got one bass for the table 33" on a shad early on. Today was a lot slower for me, only a few big blues, outgoing tide.

baitstealer
05-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Hey Dark, we told you RIP brings bananas for a snack. NOt only does he do that, but he leaves the peels behind to mess everyone elses mojo up since he didnt get any LOL LOL LOOL LOL :beatin:

Sorry RIP had to throw that in. lmao

Hey guys that's some funny stuff right there, sounds like you are having a great time and that's what it's all about. I fished at sh yesterday and got a 27" bass on clams. It seemed a little slow but a few keepers were caught. Next time I'll get one.

jigfreak
05-03-2010, 02:45 PM
A few blues in the back, 5-7am, beginning of the incoming, bucktail.

vpass
05-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Late report,I fished yesterday Night from 6:30 to 9:30pm in NoMoCO front. I got a Bass about 30 inches. I also missed 3 hits. Bass caught on a Dannyplug.

Pebbles
05-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Rip, Don't feel bad about the bananas. I was with Rich when we spotted them. Kind of edged him on to put it up. :dSorry, all in fun.

rip316
05-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Not you too. At least the others who are bashing I know. I haven't even met you yet. Got something for you too. Now it's on like donkey kong. Mess with the bull and you get the horns. hahahahahahaha

chas527
05-04-2010, 12:37 PM
fished sh last night 6 t0 8 got4 bass on clams . one was 34inches long it hit the first minute i got there didn"t even get to put the pole in the sand spike.

fished sh this morning 5 bass one keeper on clams.

storminsteve
05-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Looks like you are really hitting them there chas way to go!
I hit SH this morning and fished the last of the outgoing, 5-6:30. One short bass 24", 2 big blues, ava 1oz with green tail. The water was beautiful and there was some small bait in the surf, not sure what it was.

cardoc765
05-04-2010, 04:26 PM
wtg chas. nice catch. glad to see youre getting into them.

cardoc765
05-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Fished nomoco last night from 5 to 1030. Nothing but garbage fish. Used clams and bunker. Caught enough skates, mrs cardoc and I could have roller bladed home. REading the water I did not like where i was fishing but, the beach was mobbed and there was no where to fish without walking a long ways. Mrs cardoc doesnt like that much. However, i learned that my theories of reading the water and beach were right. Seeing where the breakers were compared to where we were, and seeing where the breakers were compared to where i usually fish in that area was a huge difference. I fish the area i fish because of how the breakers are there. i dont fish areas of the beach where i was last night for the same reason. Just proved to me that im reading the beach correctly.

basshunter
05-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Fished nomoco today and got 2 keepers to 31" on clams, bottom of the outgoing. Cardoc that is a good point about reading the beach, not all of the beach will produce the same.

cardoc765
05-05-2010, 12:47 AM
Fished the back bay tonight with mrs cardoc. Go there at the bottom of the out going. Not many guys out which made it nice. About an hour into the incoming the bite started and continued till we left at 1130. Everything was on bunker. Tried clams and got one good hit. We saw bunker up top and mrs cardoc was so excited to finally get to see that. That is when we got the hit on the clams. We ended catching 9 blues to 11# and they were still biting when we left. The only reason we left was becasue we ran out of bunker. Mrs cardoc is exhausted and lots of sore muscles, but she wants to go again tomorrow. ;)

rip316
05-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Congrats on spending some quality time together. You deserve the catches you have been getting with all the time you have been putting in. Can't wait to get out there again with you. Not til Friday. By the way the farm market by my house has bannanas on sale for.59 a lb. I will bring you guys some.

yardvillejimmy
05-05-2010, 09:13 AM
OFFC fished all over NOMoCo yesterday without any luck. Finally had to beg for some clams and caught a 34 inch striper. :don't know why:

DarkSkies
05-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Not til Friday. By the way the farm market by my house has bannanas on sale for.59 a lb. I will bring you guys some.
Please bring some for me too! ;) :HappyWave:

Cardoc, congrats on the blues, there will be a night soon when they're gone, glad ya got into em, and Mrs Cardoc got to see the bunker swim in! :HappyWave:

Yardville,
You guys had that 30mph wind and angry storm sky working against you. When guys with over 150 years of fishing experience combined can't find many fish on artificials that worries me. :don't know why: Thankfully the clam saved the day. :laugh: :kooky::plastered::HappyWave:

Dark, Speedy, and the 2nd night shift:
After hearing the dismal results of the OFFC's fishing, complete with increasing winds and thunderclouds, I doggedly pushed Speedy to come out for a night of fishin the back areas.

I was sure we could pull a few angry bluefish out of the water where the bait had been thick. We set out from 8:30-12:30, last of the flood tide, to find something that would hit some artificials.

This was the first time he fished with me, after last night he might not want to fish with me again... :d I took the guy on a whirlwind tour of some of the best producing spots. We hit each one up for only a few minutes as I hustled us along. We moved our location more times than the terrorists do. ;) The water was pretty dirty in most of the places we hit, possibly due to the strong winds and some sort of algae bloom.

He didn't say much at first, I figured he was regretting his choice to fish with me as I moved the pace like a marine drill sergeant. :argue:

We finally made it to a previously productive spot, and the fish weren't there for the artificials either. Standard bucktails, shads, rubber, magdarters, various swimmers didn't work. Racking my brain for something different, I finally nailed the smallest bluefish of the year on a large smokey joe redfin. I told him to put one on and we worked the water. I lost another bluefish as he hit right in front of me, and Speedy had a few hits through the night.

It was dismal as he was fishing good water, but didn't have the chance to see it when the fish were there. We had a good time anyway, after he got used to my hyper movement from place to place. Hey, I really wanted to put him into fish. They were not stacked up or there in any numbers in any place we visited, about 7 places in total, and moving 3x at the last spot to find those few fish.

He proved to be a good fisherman, and worked his bucktails well without getting hung up. :thumbsup: If you can't find a fish on a bucktail or shad, they are simply not concentrated in the area you're in.

In all, a good experience with a funny guy and creative banana plug builder. :laugh: He also gave me an awesome needlefish he made, I'll post pics when I get a chance. Thanks dude! :clapping:

Nice fishin with ya, Speedy, would fish again anytime. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

Analysis - What I should have done differently:
They had a hot clam bite in the nomoco ocean for most of the day.
There has been a great bite on bunker heads, as nice size bass and some big blues are nailed where the bunker are thickest at night. I passed by one of those areas on the way to meet him, saw bunker stacked by the hundreds. We should have fished bunker if our objective was to catch some quality fish last night.
Live and learn. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

finchaser
05-05-2010, 10:28 AM
DS you should have taken him for SWANS;) you excel at that:HappyWave:from Chicago

DarkSkies
05-05-2010, 10:31 AM
^^ :moon: :HappyWave:
(I guess if we had one of those famous Killie's Saigon Slammers, we would have slayed them...)
How's the pizza in Chicago? Any good?

cardoc765
05-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Speaking of bunker heads. Of the 9 fish we got last night, 7 were c&r. When i cleaned the 2 we kept, I checked their bellies to see what they were feeding on. One had a semi full belly of bunker and the other had 2 whole bunker heads in him that were not even digested yet. What a freaking pig. Had all that food in his belly and still took my bait too.

Still the highlight was after all the hype I have told mrs cardoc about bunker boiling and birds working, she got to see one of the scenarios and still is talking about it. When it happened I told her let me re cast and hold on for dear life. I was able to cast right to the pod and bang she got a hook up. Now i need to be out there and get a day on the beach where she can get to see a frenzy of birds working and be able to cast to them and hook up.

Like DS, I love taking new comers out and getting them into fish. Teaching them the new experience and excitement. My sister wanted to hook up with bass or blues. I told her what she needed to use and do. She went to IBSP sunday, did what i told her and was thrilled she got 2 monsters. Now she's hooked and wants to go with us saturday. Her Kids and husband love it now too. Can't wait till my grandson is old enough to go and appreciate it too.

chas527
05-05-2010, 03:48 PM
fished sh this morning 630 till 1100 .3 stripers1 keeper 31 inches on clams.

speedy
05-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Please bring some for me too! ;) :HappyWave:

Cardoc, congrats on the blues, there will be a night soon when they're gone, glad ya got into em, and Mrs Cardoc got to see the bunker swim in! :HappyWave:

Yardville,
You guys had that 30mph wind and angry storm sky working against you. When guys with over 150 years of fishing experience combined can't find many fish on artificials that worries me. :don't know why: Thankfully the clam saved the day. :laugh: :kooky::plastered::HappyWave:

Dark, Speedy, and the 2nd night shift:
After hearing the dismal results of the OFFC's fishing, complete with increasing winds and thunderclouds, I doggedly pushed Speedy to come out for a night of fishin the back areas.

I was sure we could pull a few angry bluefish out of the water where the bait had been thick. We set out from 8:30-12:30, last of the flood tide, to find something that would hit some artificials.

This was the first time he fished with me, after last night he might not want to fish with me again... :d I took the guy on a whirlwind tour of some of the best producing spots. We hit each one up for only a few minutes as I hustled us along. We moved our location more times than the terrorists do. ;) The water was pretty dirty in most of the places we hit, possibly due to the strong winds and some sort of algae bloom.

He didn't say much at first, I figured he was regretting his choice to fish with me as I moved the pace like a marine drill sergeant. :argue:

We finally made it to a previously productive spot, and the fish weren't there for the artificials either. Standard bucktails, shads, rubber, magdarters, various swimmers didn't work. Racking my brain for something different, I finally nailed the smallest bluefish of the year on a large smokey joe redfin. I told him to put one on and we worked the water. I lost another bluefish as he hit right in front of me, and Speedy had a few hits through the night.

It was dismal as he was fishing good water, but didn't have the chance to see it when the fish were there. We had a good time anyway, after he got used to my hyper movement from place to place. Hey, I really wanted to put him into fish. They were not stacked up or there in any numbers in any place we visited, about 7 places in total, and moving 3x at the last spot to find those few fish.

He proved to be a good fisherman, and worked his bucktails well without getting hung up. :thumbsup: If you can't find a fish on a bucktail or shad, they are simply not concentrated in the area you're in.

In all, a good experience with a funny guy and creative banana plug builder. :laugh: He also gave me an awesome needlefish he made, I'll post pics when I get a chance. Thanks dude! :clapping:

Nice fishin with ya, Speedy, would fish again anytime. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

Analysis - What I should have done differently:
They had a hot clam bite in the nomoco ocean for most of the day.
There has been a great bite on bunker heads, as nice size bass and some big blues are nailed where the bunker are thickest at night. I passed by one of those areas on the way to meet him, saw bunker stacked by the hundreds. We should have fished bunker if our objective was to catch some quality fish last night.
Live and learn. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif it was great fishing with dark i had a great time have not done night fishing in a long time gone got in to it like riding a bike it comes rite to ya and will do it again
thanks bro :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::HappyWave::HappyWav e:

joesfishinproblem
05-05-2010, 06:01 PM
hit nomoco last night to many blue fish to count...but wat i could count was the mumber of hooks they bit off 16..all on fresh bunka..saw atleast 20000 bunker last night it was crazy...did manage to finally get a bass on a live line but lost it after about a min of a heavy fight...fish 1630 to 0300...gonna hit it again tonight:kiss:

speedy
05-05-2010, 06:46 PM
no rip i want dunkin donuts thanks lol

buckethead
05-05-2010, 07:17 PM
nomoco, went all over the place and could not even get a tap.

storminsteve
05-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Fished nomoco from 3-7pm tonight. Got some monster blues as the bunker came in, then a 31" bass on a pencil popper. Good times.

wish4fish
05-05-2010, 09:17 PM
waaay in the back last night, mostly bass to 34" and some blues, bunker all the way. dark check your pms

clamchucker
05-05-2010, 09:34 PM
I fished the park from 4-6 am this morning, last of the ebb. 2 bass, both keepers, fresh clams. First bass kept of the season.

LennyD
05-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Nomoco, fished from 5-7pm, non-stop action!!!!!!!!!
Managed about 12 Bass, all keepers up to 35" (kept 2), another 20 blues (monster), we left the spot after 7pm action was still good. While we were there big bass pushed bunker almost to our feet. The best surf fishing experience i ever had, ever!!!!
Awesome!!!

rip316
05-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Congrats on the grat catches guys. It looks like it;s hit or miss depending on where you are.

cardoc765
05-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Nice job Lenny, wish4fish, and JFP. I love when the fish push the bunkers up on the beach. Joefishinproblem I hear ya on the lost hooks. mrs cardoc and I had that happening all nite 2 nights ago. Monster freaking blues and I tried tightening the drag and muscling them to the sand but they had other plans in mind.

We fished in the back last night. Good bite the previous 2 nights, but last night the wind blew in around 5 and muddied up the water, created a chop and even tho it the water layed down we did not get even a look let alone a tap. Didn't see any bunker this time either. Going to try going out tonight again.

chas527
05-06-2010, 12:36 PM
fished sh last night windy and cold. big blues came through chasing bunker about 7 pm monster blues.managed 5 blues and 1 keeper striper 31 inches lost 3 rigs and one a 17 jig.got the striper on bunker that the blues chased on the beach.

DarkSkies
05-06-2010, 12:55 PM
fished sh last night windy and cold. big blues came through chasing bunker about 7 pm monster blues.managed 5 blues and 1 keeper striper 31 inches lost 3 rigs and one a 17 jig.got the striper on bunker that the blues chased on the beach.
Sounds like a recurring theme between SH and Manasquan last night until sunset. WTG Chas, Lenny, and all those who got into the nice action.

Too much zig-zagging...
Fished with G last night. After making bait at the bunker factory ;) he let me talk him into hitting the ocean for some migratory bigger bass.

There were plenty of bass and blues where we were, smashing the bunker. In fact, he snagged an 8# bluefish that hit a snagged bunker he was bringing in.

There were definitely some decent keeper sized bass around.

I had other ideas, wanted to look in the ocean for a 20 or 25 bass. I felt that they would be passing by, and gave it a shot with the northbar bottle darter, bucktails, and shads.

He fished fresh bloody bunker in the building SE seas, as the waves were crashing over some of the rockpiles we visited. The surf was getting big, but it was kind of cool as the pea soup fog moved in at 2am. You could barely see 20 feet in front of you. :cool: Good thing we were fishin the outgoing.

He managed a large skate, I got totally blanked.

Had I nailed a decent bass, I would have been the genius. :lookhappy: It didn't work out that way. At least I gave it a shot as some larger bass have been moving along the surf line.

We then hit the bunker place for a 2nd visit. By that time the action had died and scattered bluefish were being caught.

Hit another back bay place with bait, we got a small bluefish.

Still looking for that surf action, we returned to the ocean for the sunrise. Some other surfcasters and we probed all levels of the water column, which was now cold and dirty, with a cold wind coming from the S.

Wind shifted to the SW, so we again returned to the bay area in search of some big bluefish. As we were fishing the beginning of the flood tide, it took us an hour to find a consistent bluefish bite. At one point we had to cast about 50X to get a strike. Gradually, the action increased as newly arrived big blues began to hit our small metal and poppers.

G and I both lost a few as they would get close to us like reeling in dead weights, and then take off like a rocket the second they saw us. :wow:

These blues were all purple and dark green, ocean fish. The reason we were catching was we were willing to wade out 1/4 mi into the bay at the beginning of the flood.

Some of the catches were comical... G was bringing one in when all of a sudden another one charged his leg like a bull. :viking:Maybe it was a mate of the one he caught.

We had to leave for work as soon as the bite got good. We had a great time catching a few of those bigger blues. Today ya had to work for them. It's always highly addictive to me to catch bluefish in the 10+ lb class. :dribble:

Lessons:
Never leave the fish to find the fish!

rip316
05-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Nice job guys.

vpass
05-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Fished yesterday for 3:30pm to 9:00pm. NoMoCo caught 15 to 20 blues to 10 pounds. Lost a nice size bass on a popper, it broke my heart.:( It was lots of fun. Watch a group of flyfishers slaying the blues, and bass. This one guy who was flyfishing was catching more bass then blues. he had a bass that went 35 inches or more. I'm dying to get out now, but my son has hockey tonight.:plastered::plastered::kooky::argue:

joesfishinproblem
05-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Fished yesterday for 3:30pm to 9:00pm. NoMoCo caught 15 to 20 blues to 10 pounds. Lost a nice size bass on a popper, it broke my heart.:( It was lots of fun. Watch a group of flyfishers slaying the blues, and bass. This one guy who was flyfishing was catching more bass then blues. he had a bass that went 35 inches or more. I'm dying to get out now, but my son has hockey tonight.:plastered::plastered::kooky::argue:
i think know the flymen ur speaking of if he ids an older gent...he kills bass big time on his flys.....i went out 1600 till 0100 tons of blues 2 bass about 15 lbs each on bunka...used circle hooks to avoid so many bite offs it work only lost 3 hooks..use 12/0 circles

vpass
05-06-2010, 08:01 PM
i think know the flymen ur speaking of if he ids an older gent...he kills bass big time on his flys.....

YES, Nice guy he was wearing an orange jacket.

skinner
05-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Was able to go last night fished bunker and ended up with a nice 30" bass.

c4charlie
05-07-2010, 08:34 AM
First time that I can post that I caught a bunch of fish that do not count.

Yes, I went to the dark side and took my small boat down to tidal waters on Wed. Yukon and I had a blast catching blues on bunker, clams (yes clams), and plugs. Maybe I should say the double dark side since we used bait as well as a boat. We got a couple stripers just under the keeper mark. Experienced a bit of everything. Definitely a lot easier fishing from a boat vs surf fishing. Hope I don't turn lazy. Being able to hit my favorite spots in seconds and also a fish finder showing me bait and the bottom contour.

It was very nice seeing the other side and being able to scout my surf fishing spots. Found out why I catch fish where I usually catch them and what they are attracted to. Since it was my maiden voyage on tidal waters, I decided to take it easy and catch using conventional methods. Next time, I am going to break out the fly rod and see what happens when you catch a monster blue on one.

Well maybe not the next time because my little guys want to go next week but the next opportunity without the little guys. They didn't come on the first trip but they are sure looking forward to the next one.

PS. I also caught one of the largest bluefish ever! http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/graemlins/cwm31.gif

chas527
05-07-2010, 12:51 PM
fished sh this morning 630 till 1100.got 3 bass 2 keepers, nice morning lite breeze.

DarkSkies
05-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Went fishin with G, Cardoc, and Rip316 last night. Got to the bunker factory around 11pm after scouting some other places. Some decent fish had been caught, but only a few. More on that in the Dirty Water thread.

We had some fresh bunker and set it out as the tide was still on the flood. Rip, the Mad Banana Dude, :laugh: who had previously put a banana on his head for good luck when we stopped at Quik Chek for gas, showed us that bananas can be lucky as well.

As far as other goofs, I was probably the biggest goofball all night, giving the crew plenty to laugh about. We got fatigued later on after fishing all night for sporadic action, so I'm always glad to provide some comic relief. :bucktooth:

Might as well fess up now, I suck at casting conventionals. I brought the heavier sticks for the bigger fish, but if I had to make the Major League baseball roster with my conventional casting skills, the complete ineptitude and other goofs I made wouldn't even qualify me to be the water boy. :o

I'll be gearing up my line and terminal tackle differently before I go back there again this weekend.

I am King Googan, and will gladly argue with anyone out there why I deserve that title more than they do! :ROFLMAO

The night's Fishing and the "Bananas at the Beach Myth" dispelled...
After we set up, using heads and chunks, Rip nailed a 28" bass on a bunker head within the first 30 mins. :thumbsup: WTG, Rip. :clapping:

The bite was not as great as it had been as there were too many bunker around and the fish were keyed into smashing the schools. It was awesome to watch the cycle of life as prey was jumping out of the water in fear for their lives from the predators, who made sporadic passes to slash or swallow their Nervous Bunker Meals. :scared:

Previously, G and I found bunker with large bite marks and missing pieces as we made bait. So far it's a bad year if you were born a bunker... ;)

The rest of us got some nice fattened bluefish 10+ # throughout the night by throwing smaller bunker chunks. G and I fished 2 bait rods, heads and chunks. We all lost some decent sized fish as they hit our bunker heads baited with larger hooks. The action seemed toned down a bit and maybe the fish were a little more wary of all the pressure lately.

For example, we figured out as the tide dropped that we were better off throwing bunker without the light sinkers we had been using. Even with FF rigs, it seems the fish were sensitive to any weight at all. Loosely drifted chunks or heads produced twice as many hits.

The hookup factor was disappointing for all of us. We weren't using circles like Joesfishinproblem has been, maybe that's the ticket, large 12/0 circles.

BTW, we ran into Joe as he was leaving and he graciously gave us his leftover fresh bunker, thanks Joe! :thumbsup: :clapping:

As we fished though the night, each of us lost a nice bass due to different circumstances. I'll only blame my lost bass on my Googanism, and let the others speak for themselves. ;)

Cardoc and Rip had to leave around 4:30 am, G and I fished through the night and continued to fish a sporadic bite of large bluefish. Action was most concentrated around 2-5 am, and probably more bunker movement dependent than tide dependent at that location.

Hitting it hard in the AM, Round 2:
When the sun rose, G was shot, but I wasn't happy with the total results for the night so we hit another hot bay area. As the tide was receding, I again had to wade out almost 1/4 mile as G caught some much needed rest, we were averaging 3 hours a night sleep for the past few nights.

I fished that bay area for 2 hours, from 6:30-8:30 am, searching for big bluefish with artificials. A few other guys came out and left after a half hour because of the lack of action. I compulsively continued, but should have left with the other anglers. The only action I managed was a decent hit on a 1/2 oz ledhead with a white double twister tube trailer.

The bay waters were like chocolate milk from the previous night's winds, and cold. In a way it's good because the fluctuations may keep the bluefish and bass in the bay for a while longer. There is a lot of bait around, spearing, tons of grass shrimp (snagged a few) and some other small bait is settling in. The forage base is good, we just need some clearer and (slightly warmer) water.

We all had a good time, I won the King Googan contest, we missed some quality fish, and Rip showed he can take some banana ball busting and still catch a bass. :thumbsup:

WTG for the guys here and the shadow people who are putting in the time to get into nicer bass. :clapping:

cardoc765
05-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Had a blast last night with the guys. going back again tonight. Went out this afternoon at low tide to find bunker still jumpin. Lost a like 7 blues to either a hook not stuck well enough or my flouro leader bitten into and broken. Lost a nice sized bass that I had on a while. The only thing i can figure was i was using a pre-tied hook from last year that had some flex to it. I don't think it stuck in enough and ended up with the hook coming out and my bait was gone.

It was real funny to watch Dark cast like it was the first day of trout season. Boy he can hook things other than fish really well. :HappyWave: Thanks to G for being the first one to snag bunker for each of us so we had fresh bait. Can;''t wait to get back out their again tonight. I'm rigged and ready for them this time.

DarkSkies
05-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Had a blast last night with the guys. going back again tonight. Went out this afternoon at low tide to find bunker still jumpin. Lost a like 7 blues to either a hook not stuck well enough or my flouro leader bitten into and broken.

Hey D, I wouldn't worry about using flouro leader, at night. I would go with 80 or 100 mono. I was using that after you left and it held up pretty well. Switch over to big circles and things might be different.

It was real funny to watch Dark cast like it was the first day of trout season. Boy he can hook things other than fish really well. :HappyWave: Thanks to G for being the first one to snag bunker for each of us so we had fresh bait. Can;''t wait to get back out their again tonight. I'm rigged and ready for them this time.

I'm just glad I didn't give any of you guys some exotic piercings with my wild baitcast lobs. :embarassed: :laugh: Believe me, Cardoc is being too kind, I think it was actually worse than that. :HappyWave:

Back at em this weekend, hopefully we'll all be better prepared. :thumbsup:

cowherder
05-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Wow it seems you guys have a great time whether you catch them or not. Nothing seems to embarass you Dark, how do you manage to do that?
BTW, great reports guys I felt like I was there.

rip316
05-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Heading out to meet Cardoc real soon. I am takin my wife and youngest son with me. I hope they hold up.

finchaser
05-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Went fishin with G, Cardoc, and Rip316 last night. Got to the bunker factory around 11pm after scouting some other places. Some decent fish had been caught, but only a few. More on that in the Dirty Water thread.

We had some fresh bunker and set it out as the tide was still on the flood. Rip, the Mad Banana Dude, :laugh: who had previously put a banana on his head for good luck when we stopped at Quik Chek for gas, showed us that bananas can be lucky as well.

As far as other goofs, I was probably the biggest goofball all night, giving the crew plenty to laugh about. We got fatigued later on after fishing all night for sporadic action, so I'm always glad to provide some comic relief. :bucktooth:

Might as well fess up now, I suck at casting conventionals. I brought the heavier sticks for the bigger fish, but if I had to make the Major League baseball roster with my conventional casting skills, the complete ineptitude and other goofs I made wouldn't even qualify me to be the water boy. :o

I'll be gearing up my line and terminal tackle differently before I go back there again this weekend.

I am King Googan, and will gladly argue with anyone out there why I deserve that title more than they do! :ROFLMAO

The night's Fishing and the "Bananas at the Beach Myth" dispelled...
After we set up, using heads and chunks, Rip nailed a 28" bass on a bunker head within the first 30 mins. :thumbsup: WTG, Rip. :clapping:

The bite was not as great as it had been as there were too many bunker around and the fish were keyed into smashing the schools. It was awesome to watch the cycle of life as prey was jumping out of the water in fear for their lives from the predators, who made sporadic passes to slash or swallow their Nervous Bunker Meals. :scared:

Previously, G and I found bunker with large bite marks and missing pieces as we made bait. So far it's a bad year if you were born a bunker... ;)

The rest of us got some nice fattened bluefish 10+ # throughout the night by throwing smaller bunker chunks. G and I fished 2 bait rods, heads and chunks. We all lost some decent sized fish as they hit our bunker heads baited with larger hooks. The action seemed toned down a bit and maybe the fish were a little more wary of all the pressure lately.

For example, we figured out as the tide dropped that we were better off throwing bunker without the light sinkers we had been using. Even with FF rigs, it seems the fish were sensitive to any weight at all. Loosely drifted chunks or heads produced twice as many hits.

The hookup factor was disappointing for all of us. We weren't using circles like Joesfishinproblem has been, maybe that's the ticket, large 12/0 circles.

BTW, we ran into Joe as he was leaving and he graciously gave us his leftover fresh bunker, thanks Joe! :thumbsup: :clapping:

As we fished though the night, each of us lost a nice bass due to different circumstances. I'll only blame my lost bass on my Googanism, and let the others speak for themselves. ;)

Cardoc and Rip had to leave around 4:30 am, G and I fished through the night and continued to fish a sporadic bite of large bluefish. Action was most concentrated around 2-5 am, and probably more bunker movement dependent than tide dependent at that location.

Hitting it hard in the AM, Round 2:
When the sun rose, G was shot, but I wasn't happy with the total results for the night so we hit another hot bay area. As the tide was receding, I again had to wade out almost 1/4 mile as G caught some much needed rest, we were averaging 3 hours a night sleep for the past few nights.

I fished that bay area for 2 hours, from 6:30-8:30 am, searching for big bluefish with artificials. A few other guys came out and left after a half hour because of the lack of action. I compulsively continued, but should have left with the other anglers. The only action I managed was a decent hit on a 1/2 oz ledhead with a white double twister tube trailer.

The bay waters were like chocolate milk from the previous night's winds, and cold. In a way it's good because the fluctuations may keep the bluefish and bass in the bay for a while longer. There is a lot of bait around, spearing, tons of grass shrimp (snagged a few) and some other small bait is settling in. The forage base is good, we just need some clearer and (slightly warmer) water.

We all had a good time, I won the King Googan contest, we missed some quality fish, and Rip showed he can take some banana ball busting and still catch a bass. :thumbsup:

WTG for the guys here and the shadow people who are putting in the time to get into nicer bass. :clapping:

To DS and his merry men:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

finchaser
05-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Fished out front for a couple hours 29 pounds still swimming but then again boat fish don't count

rip316
05-07-2010, 08:56 PM
When are we going? aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. lol. still chomping at the bit. PM me.

cardoc765
05-08-2010, 03:52 AM
Yes thats right. It's 3:48 am and mrs cardoc and I just got home from fishing with RIP. Had a good time. Mrs cardoc once again got to see bunker schools jumpin and swarming around. However we didn't manage to find any fish under them. Had one hit that ran off 3 times and then nothing. Freaking bunker bumping my line and taking it finally wearing my braid to the point of breaking. So we got the old :skunk:.

Mrs cardoc: made me happy to see cardoc hunting down the fish and listening and looking for the bait and trying to catch it and put the whole night together for us. RIP did a good job too.

finchaser
05-08-2010, 08:07 AM
5:30 to 7:30 AM 7 blues and 2 bass 18 to 24" all released
All caught on jig head and rubber tail

yardvillejimmy
05-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Fished NoMoCo with OFFC yesterday afternoon. Two of us caught one small bluefish each. The metal master was the winner with ten. :d No bass.

cardoc765
05-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Its great to see the OFFC group getting out there and scoring fish.

SharkHart
05-08-2010, 12:53 PM
One 21" bass last night in the bay and tons of wind, not my year

DarkSkies
05-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Wow it seems you guys have a great time whether you catch them or not. Nothing seems to embarass you Dark, how do you manage to do that?

Cowherder, considering how many times I've been close to death in my life, there's not much that could embarass me at this point. I learned long ago that the nicest people to be around are those who not only see humor in the mistakes of others, but are willing to laugh at their own mistakes and failures. :lookhappy: Feel free to make fun of me anytime. :thumbsup:

Mrs cardoc: made me happy to see cardoc hunting down the fish and listening and looking for the bait and trying to catch it and put the whole night together for us. RIP did a good job too.
Hey Mrs Cardoc! :HappyWave: I heard you had a good time but pooped out early! What's up with that? :don't know why: :)

To DS and his merry men:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:
We could be a lot merrier if we had a leader, say like an Old Grouchy one.... :laugh: I think the Tshirts would look better that way, and maybe Killie would be more motivated to design that logo he's workin on for us.... :HappyWave: Your fan club misses ya! ;)

5:30 to 7:30 AM 7 blues and 2 bass 18 to 24" all released
All caught on jig head and rubber tail
:clapping: Hmmm, one 1 1/2hour fishin trip VS our marathon 10 hour trips...
Same amount of fish caught, what can the Merry Men learn from this?...

One 21" bass last night in the bay and tons of wind, not my year
Weird year so far...Moco seems where all the shore fish in the whole state of NJ are now, if you believe in the tackle shop reports..:kooky:
I'm counting on you, Fin, and the other OcCo fishermen to pump up those OcCo numbers and whip us misguided MoCo fishermen! :plastered: :fishing:

Fished NoMoCo with OFFC yesterday afternoon. Two of us caught one small bluefish each. The metal master was the winner with ten. :d No bass.OFFC now roaming the beaches on a regular basis, you guys are like bloodhounds for fish, catch em up. :thumbsup:

ledhead36
05-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Fished several places and ended up catching 2 bass out back. Both shorts, bunker.

vpass
05-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Fished last night incoming tide out front NoMoCo. Caugth 20+ blues. Blues were bigger to 10 pounds during day ligkt. at Night a huge school of cocktails moved in. I was trying not to catch them moved several times. I was swimming plugs just keeping the line tight and drifting plug and still blues were slamming it.:kooky:

cardoc765
05-08-2010, 05:47 PM
:eek: Went out today after getting home a 3:30 or 4 this morning from fishing. Hit up a local spot in the back. Once I saw how effin nasty it was I wanted to go home. Mrs cardoc said she wanted to give it a try anyway since we were entered into a free tournament. So we did for about 2 hours and we had enough at that point. Only got a couple hits and saw a few fish caught by others nothing to brag about with 60 or more guys out there.

Did get to talk to a couple guys and met Kevin and his son Colllin. Collin is 8 and was very much into fishing. His dad is originally from Martha's Vinyard and told me how common it is to get bass in the 50-52# class up there in October. Seeing Collins zeal in fishing I talked to him a bit and then gave him a brand new bomber still in the box as a gift to keep trying. Also met Steve and his son michael and man was this kid a diehard. Watching him set the hook and respond to hits on his rod. Michael was 10 and loved fishing the shore and the pond in his back yard. So Michael too got a brand new bomber for his efforts and zeal to fish hard and more.

rip316
05-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Very nice of you Cardoc. Way to pay it forward.

DarkSkies
05-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Congrats on the catches guys, especially having the ballz to tough it out in the wind. :fishing:

Cardoc, good deal paying it forward. Let me know when ya need more plugs, seems like all around people had a good time despite the sandstorm. :thumbsup:

Monty
05-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Out front 1:30 -3:00 this morning, nothing.
Moved to the back, fished to 9:00 and got one striper around 28" on chartreuse teaser.
Lost a couple too :don't know why:.
That was some tough conditions :scared:.

finchaser
05-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Tides are blown out today there is no water

Monty
05-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Tides are blown out today there is no water

I thought my watch may have broke, was like, jeesh, there should be more water here :don't know why:.

lostatsea
05-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Gave it a try early am, nothing.

rip316
05-10-2010, 06:36 AM
When there is adundance of west wind we get what is called a west wind bowout. This mean the winds are so strong that it actually blows the water right out of the bays and rivers. creates a lot of shallow water.
When I used to slip my boat in the very back of the Metedeconk River, There would be days when I would have to stay in because the water leadind out into the river was only a foot and a half deep.

clamchucker
05-10-2010, 12:09 PM
I fished IBSP for the first 2 hours of the outgoing this morning. One short bass and a few small bluefish on a heavy Ava jig, green tail. The beach is problematic in certain areas down there tolks, be careful. There have been a lot of folks getting stuck.

c4charlie
05-11-2010, 08:57 AM
I plugged 2-3 locations and could not get a hit. In my 3rd spot, I noticed big schools of bunker. So I said, screw the plugs. I snagged a couple and went back to my first spot. Made some fresh bleeding chunks. Within a couple minutes, I started hooking up. All medium blues. Lost a few hooks but had a great time. I threw out the heads hoping for bass and one got bitten off by a blue and the other was a funny game of a small blue picking it up and swimming with it quite a ways with my baitrunner. The blues, would not leave any of the heads alone. I would up with 5 or 6.

Too many blues, I want some bass. Blues did cough up some baitfish so I know what the fish are eating for next time.

yukon
05-11-2010, 12:33 PM
I got out this morning from 5 - 8 NoMoCo. No wind at all. It was like a lake but it looked good so I stayed and waited it out instead of moving after the first hour. I was fishing clams and bunker. A few good hits but nothing on the bait. Then our friendly friend the bunker decided to show up and make things interesting.

Small pod got close with some good fish on them but then they we're gone... But then they came back and the pod was three times the size. 3 other guys happened to walk up as things got good. Everyone hooked up. We all had a blast working together, helping get fish out of the rocks, calling out the bunker as they came back left then right... This one which came in at 14# got it on a pencil. Only lasted about 30-40 min. but watching the bass push the bunker onto the rocks was awesome...

chas527
05-11-2010, 12:59 PM
fished sh this morning 630 till 12 , nothing two rays on bunker nothing on clams not even a hit.cool morning lite breeze.

fishinmission78
05-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Congrats on the catch yukon. I got blanked this morning at the park, as you said the ocean was like a lake. Metal, small swimmers, shads, not a hit.

storminsteve
05-11-2010, 02:19 PM
I Everyone hooked up. We all had a blast working together, helping get fish out of the rocks, calling out the bunker as they came back left then right... This one which came in at 14# got it on a pencil. Only lasted about 30-40 min. but watching the bass push the bunker onto the rocks was awesome...

Sounds like an awesome morning yukon.:thumbsup:
Even more awesome that no one was pushing and screaming to get to the bass. Maybe that's because it was a weekday? Nice report, congrats.

I fished nomoco from sunrise to 7:30am, one bass 33", clams, and a big skate.

seamonkey
05-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Fished a CM beach last night from 12-5am, 2 short bass, one was 27.75, still short, still swimming. Clams.

DarkSkies
05-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Glad to see some got into nice action yesterday. The Atlantic Ocean was cold as a morgue yesterday afternoon for artificials, lots of dead water. All afternoon action was in the back. There was some night action as well, but only on the "RED X's" ;)

My report is in G's Dirty Water Anglers thread. :fishing:

LennyD
05-12-2010, 07:55 PM
I got out this morning from 5 - 8 NoMoCo. No wind at all. It was like a lake but it looked good so I stayed and waited it out instead of moving after the first hour. I was fishing clams and bunker. A few good hits but nothing on the bait. Then our friendly friend the bunker decided to show up and make things interesting.

Small pod got close with some good fish on them but then they we're gone... But then they came back and the pod was three times the size. 3 other guys happened to walk up as things got good. Everyone hooked up. We all had a blast working together, helping get fish out of the rocks, calling out the bunker as they came back left then right... This one which came in at 14# got it on a pencil. Only lasted about 30-40 min. but watching the bass push the bunker onto the rocks was awesome...

Nice fat fish!

finchaser
05-12-2010, 08:29 PM
tonight 6 to 8 pm 1 bass 27" inside ,east wind brought in some warmer water ocean was as low as 44 in places now up to 47

c4charlie
05-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Bass were a bit picky but I managed to hook up and land this one on a bunker chunk. Not as many blues as usual which was a nice change.

35" and 13lbs

I was fishing EAST of the Parkway. Will be back out tonight!

DarkSkies
05-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Bass were a bit picky but I managed to hook up and land this one on a bunker chunk. Not as many blues as usual which was a nice change.

35" and 13lbs

I was fishing EAST of the Parkway. Will be back out tonight!

So ya finally went to the dark side??? :eek: Blues were less evident in that area last night because the fresh water after a heavy rain changes the salinity and sometimes tends to push the bluefish elsewhere. The blues should be back in greaater numbers tonight as salinity returns to normal levels. Fishing an area like that is also tide dependent as you may sometimes tend to get more bass during the tide changes. Bigger fish should be everywhere this time of year but unfortunately they're not...
You found them at the bunker factory, no waders required. ;)

Congrats, WTG! :clapping: :thumbsup:

tonight 6 to 8 pm 1 bass 27" inside ,east wind brought in some warmer water ocean was as low as 44 in places now up to 47

I wonder if people know how hard it is to catch a fish in OC from land at night now? So hard that people in OC are coming up to moco in search of one of the few places fish are consistently being caught.

I think you and Bob were one of the only ones who managed fish from that area that night, I think you guys could pull a fish out a rain puddle if ya had to. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I know you worked for that fish.
You got a fish out of an area that other people probably fished and gave up on, that's hard-core. Congrats. :fishing:

chas527
05-13-2010, 01:12 PM
fished sh this morning,630am till 1130. got one fish but it was a keeper 29 1/2 nice fish got it on clams at 1100.

gjb1969
05-13-2010, 02:50 PM
:thumbsup::fishing:

clamchucker
05-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Fished the park with clams this morning, one skate.

cardoc765
05-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Nice fish C4. Fished the back tonight. Started 2 hours before the top and Mrs cardoc got 3 small blues and missed a couple good hits. The wind started to blow a bit and the bite died off quick. When mrs cardoc said the fish were taking to long of a lunch break we moved to the bunker factory. Not a nibble and they stopped production. No life what so ever was seen. BOOO :(

Im out for the weekend now. I will be working on the Eagle out of atlantic highlands tomorrow night and a double on saturday. Next week I'll be working on the Capt Dave out of the highlands thursday friday and saturday mornings.

rip316
05-14-2010, 06:38 AM
Good luck Cardoc.

yardvillejimmy
05-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Went clam fishing in NoMoCo with the OFFC yesterday afternoon. With the cold southeast wind blowing we got nothing but a couple of sea robbins.

Then about an hour and a half before dark the wind calmed and changed to the south. fishjay spotted the bunker boiling in front of us.

We did not have our plugging poles with us so as I watched the rods fishjay and metal master went to get our gear at the truck.

As a few of the rods got hits I struggled to get the lines out of the water.

When they returned with the rods and plug bags we all started throwng bombers (as Dark Skies refers to them "those cheap plastics").

In an hour and a half flurry we managed a total of ten bass between 20 and 30 pounds. fishjay caught the big one. :HappyWave:

finchaser
05-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Went clam fishing in NoMoCo with the OFFC yesterday afternoon. With the cold southeast wind blowing we got nothing but a couple of sea robbins.

Then about an hour and a half before dark the wind clamed and changed to the south. fishjay spotted the bunker boiling in front of us.

We did not have our plugging poles with us so as I watched the rods fishjay and metal master went to get our gear at the truck.

When they returned with the rods and plug bags we all started throwng bombers (as Dark Skies refers to them "those cheap plastics").

In an hour and a half flurry we managed a total of ten bass between 20 and 30 pounds. fishjay caught the big one. :HappyWave:

Great to see the old guys put it to the new breed of internet bass fisherman way to go:thumbsup::clapping::clapping::clapping:
Pay attention snot slingers.

GeoffT
05-14-2010, 10:39 AM
A fresh body of fish has arrived in RB. Just in time for the new moon. My buddies have been hammering fish on plugs the last couple nights. I'll be out there tonight. :thumbsup:

I went to a new secret spot with a friend last night. While I could only hook up one big fish which almost promptly came unbuttoned, he had four bass to 15 lbs and also lost a bigger fish. I could see that this spot has very good potential. Best part is no one has ever fished there by foot to my friend's knowledge, which is a miracle in NJ.

rip316
05-14-2010, 04:40 PM
I am no way disrespecting you Fin but, I believe these OFFC were slinging snot and left there mighty plugging rods in the truck. A school of bunker and bass following them right in front of them within casting distance. That's like shooting fish in a barrel. Sounds like they were lucky more than anything. They did have the proper equipment with them though. Like I said no disrespect.

DarkSkies
05-14-2010, 09:42 PM

Then about an hour and a half before dark the wind calmed and changed to the south. fishjay spotted the bunker boiling in front of us.

I'm so happy for yor guys, you put so much time in you deserved this. :clapping: :thumbsup::thumbsup:
And those "cheap plastic lures" is how you guys :beatin: all the young pups out there. :cool:

Great to see the old guys put it to the new breed of internet bass fisherman way to go:thumbsup::clapping::clapping::clapping:

I wanna share something about the Old Farts Fishing Club with the members here.
These are the guys who are on the beach long after everyone else goes home. The ones who say "one more cast" which keeps them out in the cold and rain for another hour.

They're some of the guys here who have taught me about how things used to be before the moratorium, and why. :learn: They have seen the best, and worst, of striped bass fishing.

And they pound the sand relentlessly when they're out, in search of fish. :thumbsup:

Although fortunate the bunker came in, you guys definitely worked for those fish. Hearing that story made me want to hear it again and again, WTG! :clapping: :clapping::clapping: :thumbsup::thumbsup: :fishing: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
05-14-2010, 09:45 PM
I went to a new secret spot with a friend last night. While I could only hook up one big fish which almost promptly came unbuttoned, he had four bass to 15 lbs and also lost a bigger fish. I could see that this spot has very good potential. Best part is no one has ever fished there by foot to my friend's knowledge, which is a miracle in NJ.

Could be kayak fish or mud fish for future exploits? ;), watch those quicksand holes... :scared: :HappyWave:
Congrats, bro. :thumbsup:

finchaser
05-15-2010, 07:58 AM
I am no way disrespecting you Fin but, I believe these OFFC were slinging snot and left there mighty plugging rods in the truck. A school of bunker and bass following them right in front of them within casting distance. That's like shooting fish in a barrel. Sounds like they were lucky more than anything. They did have the proper equipment with them though. Like I said no disrespect.

None taken they hate bait fishing and primarily plug.

fishinmission78
05-15-2010, 08:28 AM

:clapping:Nice report guys. Some friends had them down here around that time, similar sizes. I missed out but got one the morning after.

storminsteve
05-15-2010, 08:50 AM

I wanna share something about the Old Farts Fishing Club with the members here.
These are the guys who are on the beach long after everyone else goes home. The ones who say "one more cast" which keeps them out in the cold and rain for another hour.

They're some of the guys here who have taught me about how things used to be before the moratorium, and why. :learn: They have seen the best, and worst, of striped bass fishing.

And they pound the sand relentlessly when they're out, in search of fish. :thumbsup:

Although fortunate the bunker came in, you guys definitely worked for those fish. Hearing that story made me want to hear it again and again, WTG! :clapping: :clapping::clapping: :thumbsup::thumbsup: :fishing: :HappyWave:

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:Great report and story fellas. I would fish next to you any day. Look forward to meeting you all on the beach some time.

jigfreak
05-15-2010, 10:27 AM

X2, wtg for the OFFC.:clapping::clapping:

GeoffT
05-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Could be kayak fish or mud fish for future exploits? ;), watch those quicksand holes... :scared: :HappyWave:
Congrats, bro. :thumbsup:

And you would be wrong. :HappyWave: I would love a kayak someday but not in this case. It was a long long long walk though, a good workout for my aging lungs and legs. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
05-15-2010, 12:03 PM
I would love a kayak someday but not in this case. It was a long long long walk though, a good workout for my aging lungs and legs. :thumbsup:

Hey, I've been wrong before, and I know tomorow I'll be wrong about something else. ;) It's all good, bro. :HappyWave: There's no price you can put on a place where you can fish in solitude during the height of the fishing season. :dribble:That's one of the reasons guys get into kayak fishing.

As for your aging lungs and legs, I think you're selling yourself short a bit. I heard rumors that you could run a 10k facing backwards, and still beat half the people in the race. :lookhappy: :thumbsup: