PDA

View Full Version : Top of the line

porgy75
05-06-2010, 06:12 PM
What is the top of the line rod and reel to buy? In your opinion why?

surfstix1963
05-06-2010, 06:22 PM
I think thats a matter of personal preference for me I like my lamiglas rods they have never given me any trouble and all my reels are shimanos for the same reason I'm not a VS guy never will be personally I don't like them I've fished my friends several times they just don't float my boat for the money.

skinner
05-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I have heard some great things about VS. It's a little out of my price range, but maybe one day.

speedy
05-06-2010, 09:10 PM
surfstix for the money that you pay for a vs it better tell you where the fish are... just like you said a lamigas and a shimano . i still have my first lamiglas rod i was 19 a guy made me a brige pole to use 80 lb braid i love that rod

jonthepain
05-07-2010, 08:10 AM
for trout, a G Loomis. for salt, St. Croix. for surf plugging, a ben doerr

i've got a couple of daiwa bait runners that i'm happy with. been through a dozen or more penns. one still works. got a kobia that seems adequate.

Monty
05-08-2010, 08:04 AM
For a reel I love a the VS. I have a VS200 matched to a one piece 10 foot Lami Supersurf (rated for and throws 1-4 oz) that is a great all around combo for plugging. I can throw 1 oz, throw and work pencils to 4 oz with it. And can cast very good distances with it. With wind pounding into my face I can drill an Ava 27 or 37 into the wind with this rod. And The VS I can drop in the wash or sand and keep fishing (and not worry). I usually walk a good distance from the jeep and have had other reels fail on me. The VS is "tighter", not as smooth as other reels, but I love it.
I also gave a Breakaway Omega rod 10'6" that throws 2-5 oz and I really like it. It will out cast the Supersurf, does not work a pencil, but for throwing 3-5 oz, I love it (good sensitivity for working plugs).
As for ZB, I hear their customer service is great, but that thyere has been lots of problems with them out of the box. I think if you have a good one(that does not fail), its better, smoother, better line lay down, than a Van Staal. But my biggest issue is reliability, so top of the line for me is the Van Staal.

hookset
05-08-2010, 05:02 PM
I have a lami that I would not part with for anything.