PDA

View Full Version : Gift from an old friend

DrakeS
05-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Many of you have come to know a plug builder named Tony Spina. He's known to many as the man who started several manufacturing companies of wooden Bass plugs.

I knw Tony a little differently. He's been a friend of my family since the 1950's. Tony Bologna as we call him, or by his later nickname "The Wheat" for the way his thinning hair would stand up is quite a colorful charecter.
Always getting himself involved in some sort of adventure, Tony was always the topic of discussion.

He was afterall the guy that when Stu Tinney (Striper Mag founder) cut off his thumb in a chum grinder the good samaritan who found the thumb, nailed it to the wall, and labeled the digit "Stu's Thumb" for the world to admire. When Stu returned from the hospital and spotted his thumb, he reportedly went limp!

Yes, Tony did while attempting to gillnet weakfish in the late 60's or early 70's catch a 2,000lb great white shark and tow it into Belmar where it broke quite a few scales.

Tony is up in years now and probably doesn't have much left in his tank. When we opened our new shop, he became sort of our mascot. Yes, he still has his adventures and he is slowed down by his declining health, but he is still Tony. There is an old thread on here that talks about a special plug that Tony had in his collection. He gave me that plug today. Like the Old Man and the Sea, the plug has a great story but that is for another to tell.

clamchucker
05-21-2010, 03:25 PM
He was afterall the guy that when Stu Tinney (Striper Mag founder) cut off his thumb in a chum grinder the good samaritan who found the thumb, nailed it to the wall, and labeled the digit "Stu's Thumb" for the world to admire. When Stu returned from the hospital and spotted his thumb, he reportedly went limp!

DrakeS, I have known of Tony Spina for many years, yet somehow I never heard that story. That is a good one, thank you for posting it.
That plug must be the one he caught his record fish on. What an honor for you to receive it.

DarkSkies
05-21-2010, 05:27 PM
I knw Tony a little differently. He's been a friend of my family since the 1950's. Tony Bologna as we call him, or by his later nickname "The Wheat" for the way his thinning hair would stand up is quite a colorful charecter.
Always getting himself involved in some sort of adventure, Tony was always the topic of discussion.

Tony is up in years now and probably doesn't have much left in his tank. When we opened our new shop, he became sort of our mascot. Yes, he still has his adventures and he is slowed down by his declining health, but he is still Tony. There is an old thread on here that talks about a special plug that Tony had in his collection. He gave me that plug today. Like the Old Man and the Sea, the plug has a great story but that is for another to tell.

That plug must be the one he caught his record fish on. What an honor for you to receive it.

Steve, I'll share something with you. The last time I visited him, he put that plug in my hand, closed my fingers around it, and told me to take it as he wanted me to have it.

I know what that plug meant to him. Every time I would visit him and he got to telling the story about that fish and the pride he had in making the plug that caught it, he would point to that plug. That plug was the focus of his stories and to me seemed to be one of the things that helped him deal with his current reality, which as you said isn't too great health-wise.

I couldn't take that plug from him, as honestly I didn't feel I was the person who should have had it. I felt there was someone out there who was more deserving of that gift.

As I read your story and the things you said about your families knowing each other for so long, it dawned on me that that plug has finally found it's home. It's where it was destined to be.

I'm happy for you, and grateful things went down that way. Thanks for sharing those memories. Tell Tony I said hi. I'll have to stop in your shop one day. :HappyWave:

surfstix1963
05-21-2010, 06:33 PM
I'm pretty sure your right Rich it has found its home and has a special meaning to all that have touched it.:fishing:

DrakeS
05-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks guys, the plug does mean alot to me. I have more Tony stories than most. In our group your not really one of us until Tony has led you into some adventure.

I can share this one with you all. Tony's truck recently died and he wanted to rent a car. He rode a pink girls bicycle from his daughters house to the shop. Dave who Tony has taken a liking to helped him rent a van for a couple of days. When it was returned the rental business discovered a strange smell coming out of the van. It turns out Tony had wet dog food in the back of the van from killie fishing. He motioned for Dave to take off and the last they saw of the rental guy was him powerwashing out the back of the van swearing a blue streak. I nearly lost control of all bodily functions when Dave told me the story.

I really didn't know what to say when he handed me the plug. It just seemed right to accept it. As alot have said here and other places, Tony is a good hearted guy. I can only imagine what he was capable of when he was in his 30's. I do know I am lucky to know him.

He stops in nearly every day and scratches out a few notes and tells us he's getting tired. Either Dave or I give him a ride home and repeat the process the next day. Rich, I don't know if we have ever met or not but we do have a friend in common.

Steve Horvath

vpass
05-21-2010, 07:02 PM
That's some stories. I Got chills. I love stories like these.:thumbsup:

surfwalker
05-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Haven't been on in awhile but had to post on your story.

I have probably read it over a few times, because I can relate to it and really enjoyed you sharing it with us, thank you.

It's amazing how certain people (personalities) and items can leave a lasting impression on us. He knows how much you would appreciate his gift to you.

Thanks again.

Happy Trails

Monty
05-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Hi Steve, I have only known Tony for a few years. Good hearted as you say. Great stories, I can only imagine all the experiences he has had. Great you have that plug, its special.

Pebbles
05-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Drake,

Those stories are wonderful. Rich brought me down a couple of times to see Tony. I was there the day that Tony wanted Rich to take the plug. We are so glad that you ended up with it. A life long family friend is where it belongs.

If you have more stories why not put them up in the "story of the month thread". You just might end up winning a plug.

Thank you so much for putting a smile on my face today.

johnnysaxatilis
05-22-2010, 10:06 AM
that's gotta be a nominee for the story of the month. good stuff!

cowherder
05-22-2010, 07:18 PM
that's gotta be a nominee for the story of the month. good stuff!

X2!

DrakeS
05-24-2010, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the reply guy. No story of the month plug needed as I have my plug.

As a side note, my friend Dave also has a Tony plug. His was bought at a garage sale some years back and had no idea it was made by Tony. When he showed it to him, Tony took the plug and motioned he wanted to sign the plug. He signed it TONY SPINA 1960. It turns out it was a plug Tony built for himself and gave away to another fisherman. Funny how the plug has made the rounds and how it finally made it back to Tony's hands. Some one had stuck green eyes on the plug, but Tony knew the plug the second he laid eyes on it. Here's a pic before the autograph.