PDA

View Full Version : Sandy Hook north beach is closed for plover nesting.

storminsteve
05-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Just wanted folks to know that north beach is closed. I was there today, They have all these fences up and one that goes to the water.:burn: I wonder how long they will keep it closed this time?

rip316
05-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Thats rediculous. I am not a bird hater but, Who thinks this stuff up. Will the bird population bring revenue or fisherman buying park passes and spending money on bait to fish in that park? Unreal.

surfwalker
05-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Most likely access to the False Hook will be closed until the middle of August, if lucky. Some years it will be closed until the end of Aug or early Sept, depending on the nesting. I'm sure the closure will be enforced this year due to all the trouble that went on last year.

rip316
05-27-2010, 07:53 PM
What kind of trouble are you refering to Surfwalker?

GeoffT
05-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Relax, boys. They do this every year. And no, it's not likely FH will be closed until August - they say that every year and it rarely ever does.

surfwalker
05-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Rip, last year some a'holes destroyed one of the nests on the Hook.

And yes it's done every year, and the closure time is dictated if the plovers have one or two nestings in a season. It may open earlier if the nest is abandoned.

rip316
05-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Like I said I am not a bird hater. I would not destroy there nests or dumb stuff like that. Thanks Surfwalker.

Mike O
07-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Does anyone have a list of places on Sandyhook where you can't fish. Seems like a lot of the better places are restricted because damn birds that are not even close to the waters edge no matter what phase of the tide it is. :huh:

finchaser
07-25-2012, 02:25 PM
The hook is on Nobama's MPA list for total closure

Monty
07-25-2012, 11:04 PM
From what I have experienced in the years past form an area (north end) on North Beach wrapped around to the Fisherman's Trail (or close to it). Then I remember a few years ago it was closed at the very entrance of Sandy Hook (got kicked out after tangling with some Gators (broke a Fenwick SaltStik that morning)). Not sure if that area is closed this year. I think there are ropes or strings that are strung across open beach in a lot of areas that are to keep people off the top part of the beach from the birds. Would have thought that would have been sufficient for the whole park and let the people fish close to the water line.

storminsteve
07-26-2012, 06:18 PM
I think there are ropes or strings that are strung across open beach in a lot of areas that are to keep people off the top part of the beach from the birds. Would have thought that would have been sufficient for the whole park and let the people fish close to the water line.

I agree, those stupid plovers ruin it for months on end. Right now I think parts of north beach are closed up to where gunnison is. Not sure of others.

buckethead
07-26-2012, 06:59 PM
What Monty said. Last time I was there is was the Rips to Gunnison. I read up on them. Takes 25-30 days for the eggs to hatch. 30 days for the chicks to get to the point where they can fend for themselves.
This starts in May, so you figure by the end of July, which is 90 days, they should be long gone. Yet they keep the beaches closed to at least Aug 31.
I have hardly ever seen a plover up there. Stupid policies as far as I am concerned.

Monty
07-26-2012, 07:30 PM
This starts in May, so you figure by the end of July, which is 90 days, they should be long gone. Yet they keep the beaches closed to at least Aug 31.
I have hardly ever seen a plover up there. Stupid policies as far as I am concerned.
I asked the Rangers a few weeks ago as I was entering the park when the beaches would open up, they said closed to at least Labor Day.
I can only think the plovers are an excuse to keep people off the beach in those areas. Less beach to patrol, less garbage spread around.

jigfreak
07-27-2012, 07:30 PM
i always felt if they can't survive on their own with reasonable help. maybe they were not meant to be. jmo

Mike O
08-01-2012, 03:27 PM
I guess the bird watchers spend more time and money then the fishermen. I thought most of those birds were sleeping @ night! So why can't we fish while they sleep? Do the bird watchers have to pay for a 50 dollar watching pass or something? Total Bull****

finchaser
08-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Bird watchers are pissed also it's closed to all and if obama gets his way all of the hook will be an MPA and closed for good. they closed 250 miles of beach in California along with some national parks

Mike O
08-02-2012, 08:16 PM
So if it is closed to all, who is checking to see what the effects of closing the beach is having, if any. They have been doing this long before obama was in office. Him nor any other president in recent memory could care less. Somebody is making money off of this. I pay my 50 bucks every year just to fish @ night, and have a great respect for all wildlife. But I do have a problem with financing their cause, especially when it prevents me or anyone else from getting what we are paying for. And what does MPA stand for, Im not familiar with it.

storminsteve
08-03-2012, 10:57 AM
But I do have a problem with financing their cause, especially when it prevents me or anyone else from getting what we are paying for. And what does MPA stand for, Im not familiar with it.

:clapping: welcome to NJ MikeO, the bend over and get screwed state. Every time you turn around they ask for more $$ for something. You are right what do we get in return, and why are there no studies to see if closing the beach has improved the plover population?

Mike O
08-03-2012, 02:06 PM
yeah, your right storm. Iv'e been bent over for the last 40 years myself, I should know better LOL. Well you know what they say, love it or leave it. I guess I'll stick around for another 40 years just to see what developes. Who knows, maybe chicken eggs will spike in price like everything else and we will have to resort to bacon and plover eggs. At least we will know where to find them.

DarkSkies
06-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Fin called me today and advised North Beach at Sandy Hook will close as of 12pm tonight.

Closure will remain in effect till Sept 1.
The temporary loss of this piece of real estate is a real blow to us surf fishermen. :(

cowherder
06-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Wanted to let you guys know they got an early start on the closure. I was there at 5pm today and they wouldn't let anyone up there.

cowherder
05-28-2015, 08:42 AM
I tried to go last night and it was closed. This sucks!

buckethead
05-28-2015, 08:51 AM
That's one of the reasons I rarely fish up there. All that productive area and they close the best part for months.