PDA

View Full Version : How to: Kayak rod holders, adjustable

DarkSkies
05-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Many are probably familiar with the standard rod holders many kayaks now come with. Some people augment those by putting aftermarket holders in the holes.

That's fine, unless you start getting quality fish that might tow you around. :scared:

I ran into a guy I haven't seen in awhile, BillDude. He gave me permission to take these pics of his setup. I thought it was a creative way to handle the problem of maneuverabilty.

So, with all credit going to BillDude, here are some pics and basic instructions.

Thanks Bill, it was great to run into ya again. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
05-29-2010, 04:44 PM
Get your smaller milk crates, one that will fit the parameters of the kayak indent.

Notice how he has the collars and couplings on the inside. (2 on each side, top and bottom)

They're there for a reason. You would use either 1 1/2 " or 2" depending on your preference. I would tend to go with smaller tubing, and go with 1 1/2"

Pay particular attention to the stainless steel clamps on the inside. They not only go around the tubing, they connect it to the outside of the crate.
That's the key design of this system - the stainless steel clamps allow the tubing to swivel from side to side. That's a big deal when a larger fish hits the rod, and you need to maneuver yourself and the rod around to fight the fish.

DarkSkies
05-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Close-up of the clamps and the positioning.

(please excuse the chaos in the milk crate, he had been out all day fishin and I rushed him into lettin me take these pics)

Another neat trick, he uses reflective tape on the tops of the holders, you can get a roll of it at Harbor Freight. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

DarkSkies
05-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Pic of his yak:

Thanks again for your permission, Bill. :HappyWave: