PDA

View Full Version : Striped bass: Sense of smell, olfactory ability

DarkSkies
06-04-2010, 01:26 PM
The other day Rip and I were talking about striped bass and how, and how intensely, they smell food. I thought I would share some of this stuff with you guys and girls....

Striped Bass Fishing: saltwater strategies
(from the Saltwater Sportsman series)
http://books.google.com/books?id=f8UF0Stz3g8C&pg=PA12&lpg=PA12&dq=striped+bass+sense+of+smell&source=bl&ots=khQouhHekn&sig=qTcmpNOd0FcZ3IHsrY_uhXQSSYE&hl=en&ei=BTQJTOTWBYSBlAeB2bSgDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=striped%20bass%20sense%20of%20smell&f=false

This is a pretty informative book, some of the paragraphs showcased tell some interesting things about how they smell and find their food.

DarkSkies
06-04-2010, 01:32 PM
This is a great article from New England Kayak fishing, by Dr NEKF. Check out the site when you get a chance.

Written by Dr. NEKF Wednesday, 19 December 2007 19:00 By Dr. NEKF

Knowing about the fish you are going after can help improve your odds as a fisherman. For instance, by studying the striped bass’ anatomy you can glean clues about characteristics and behaviors. Comparative anatomy is a science that compares the differences and similarities of organ systems between species. For example, a fish has a set of nostrils like a human does, yet, unlike a human, they are only used for smell, and not breathing. However, most fish just have a set of holes through which water flows. Yet, unlike most fish, a striped bass has a pair of nostrils on each side that maintain a connection between the nostrils and the mouth, like in humans. This actually allows for smell and taste to be integrated and shows us that the striper, as a fish, relies on smell and taste a lot more than vision to navigate through its world of water.

The nerve tracts for smell are well developed in stripers yet the visual cortex (that part of the brain dedicated to vision) is small. It is no surprise that a striper, therefore, has a keen sense of smell, but not as keen as Anguilla rostrata, the American eel. A study once showed that eels responded to 1 billionth of a drop of alcohol in a pool. It is thought that striped bass, like salmon, can smell their place of birth and this is what guides them on their quest to spawning grounds. It is also why using scented artificial baits makes a lot of sense. In addition to smell, a striper has taste buds on its lips, tongue, and over most of its mouth. Stripers literally swim in a sea of smells and chemicals. They are therefore very adept at chemoreception. These are all good reasons why you must make sure that your lures and baits are free of foreign smells and tastes, ie. sunblock, bug spray, cologne, perfume, soap, etc.

Looking in a striper’s mouth you will notice several clues as to its eating behavior. It does not have teeth in the real sense of the word as in the case of a bluefish. It has roughened areas on the upper and lower jaw, and two parallel elongated patches on the back of the tongue. The teeth are abrasive, rather than cutting, as anyone with “Striper-thumb” knows. Therefore, these teeth are not meant for chopping or cutting, like the bluefish, but for holding http://www.newenglandkayakfishing.com/images/stories/bigmouth.jpg

and grasping its prey. The mouth is very large and ends immediately into the esophagus or muscular tube that empties into the stomach. As you study the striper’s mouth, it is apparent that it was meant to engulf and swallow its prey whole. Since it is primarily piscivorous or fish eating, it must take its prey head first or else the fins and dorsal rays would become lodged in the bass’ throat. Its stomach has large folds in it or rugae that increase the surface area to hasten digestion. Once a bass engorges itself and fills its stomach, it will lie low until the food is digested and then again feed.

Best regards,

Dr. NEKF

http://www.newenglandkayakfishing.com/content/articles/54-striped-bass-anatomy-and-fishing.html

DarkSkies
06-04-2010, 02:12 PM
The studies below seem to mirror the belief by a lot of Dirty Water Anglers that when fishing muddy or cloudy waters, bait is the best choice....

While a great deal of research has been conducted on the olfactory systems (sense of smell) of salmon and catfish, comparatively little has been done on bass until recently. We do know that a bass’ sense of smell is not as keen as that of a salmon or catfish, but it is much better than previously thought. It has been noted that bass discriminate scent much better than even the best bird dog.

Any discussion of the bass’ sense of smell should consider how they use it, i.e., for foraging or protection and when. Bass use their full range of senses especially when visibility is limited. Smell becomes increasingly important in low light or muddy water situations.

The bass’ preyfish are composed of amino acids, the building blocks of all protein and flesh. Each preyfish contains differing proportions of amino acids. The injury of a preyfish and release of amino acids into the water elicits a searching behavior from the bass. This is one reason why scent products with amino acids are attractive to bass.

Tests by bass researcher Dr. Loren Hill show that bass can detect a preyfish odor source at a distance of 25 feet. Only the bass’ sense of hearing (which is my next article) is capable of greater range under normal water clarity conditions. Dr. Hill also points out that the bass exhibit a snakelike swimming action when honing in on an odor source.

A bass has a pair of nostrils, or nares, on each side of its head between the eyes and upper lip. Each nostril has two openings separated by a bridge of skin. Water does circulate continuously through these short passages where microscopic, hair like cilia detect odors. The water passes through the nostrils without entering the throat.

As a bass swims about, water movement is enhanced and the nostrils are constantly in use. A membrane tissue, called the olfactory epithelium, consists of complex folds that line the nostrils. This membrane greatly increases the total surface area and the bass’ receptive scenting powers.

Within the epithelium odor molecules activate millions of olfactory receptor nerve cells, these send a message to the olfactory centers of the bass’ brain where the odor is interpreted.

As a bass ages and grows larger, the number of olfactory folds increases. It has been found that young 4 to 6 inch largemouth bass have 5 or 6 folds. A 12 inch bass may have 10 folds while one 20 inches in length may have as many as 20 folds. It has also been found that the diameter of the olfactory organ itself grows with age. Most scientists conclude that older bass have a better developed sense of smell.

http://www.bassonhook.com/leo/leo02.html

DarkSkies
06-04-2010, 02:14 PM
I could always use help with these articles, guys. I may post up a thread but I count on you to flesh it out with more references, personal examples and stories, etc. Thanks for helping us all, and helping the new guys to learn. :thumbsup:

seamonkey
06-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Riptide rotters, there is a place riptide bait and tackle that sells riptide rotters which I believe are half-rotten clams soaked in clam oil. Putrid, but they supposably work.:upck:

finchaser
06-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Riptide rotters, there is a place riptide bait and tackle that sells riptide rotters which I believe are half-rotten clams soaked in clam oil. Putrid, but they supposably work.:upck:

Kinda of like Dark Skies fish attractant waders that he wears:D:HappyWave:

Me personally I think they find more food with there lateral line as plugs have no scent they give off vibrations and sound. In most blitz situations plugs out fish bait on a regular basis. Also in very rough surf scent becomes less of a factor. Plugs cover more ground and account for bigger spring fish than clams.

Of course all you Raritan bay guys will disagree, but remember you fish in very large groups so it's more a chum line.

DarkSkies
06-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Kinda of like Dark Skies fish attractant waders that he wears:D:HappyWave:

Thanks for bein so helpful there, ya grouchy OGB. :moon:
I know they stank, even your girlfriend noticed it the next day. My bad, all my fault. :embarassed:
They've since been washed in orange cleaner, so not so stinky anymore (as much ;) :HappyWave:)

finchaser
06-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks for bein so helpful there, ya grouchy OGB. :moon:
I know they stank, even your girlfriend noticed it the next day. My bad, all my fault. :embarassed:
They've since been washed in orange cleaner, so not so stinky anymore (as much ;) :HappyWave:)

Does the orange attract tropical fish????????????????????

DarkSkies
06-04-2010, 03:59 PM
^^ Yeah, I been catchin those "plank fish" lately. ;)
Might be S American, or Australian. :huh: :d Great Barrier Reef, even.

DarkSkies
04-10-2014, 06:56 PM
Bringing this to the top for Dr Doug. :HappyWave:
Hope it proves helpful.

surferman
04-29-2014, 01:57 PM
Thanks so much for posting, good read. Where I fish in the Delaware its often dirty or muddy water so I feel smell has to play a great part in whether a fish finds your bait or not.