PDA

View Full Version : Beaverkill & Willowemoc

fishlipper
05-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Met a guy who now lives in Roscoe, NY. He used to live on the North shore of LI, hardcore salt guy.

He told me about the Beaverkill, I've never been there. Searched for some paragraphs on reelwaters.com, thought I would put them up. Looks like beautiful water to fish. :drool:

The Beaverkill...

The Beaverkill is a natural flowing river from the rolling hills of the Catskills. Where it and the Willowemoc meet, is the town of Roscoe also known as "Trout Town USA". From there, the river pours down until it merges with the East Branch which then joins the West Branch, in the town of Hancock. This union forms the Main Stem of the Delaware River.

I do fish the Housi and the Farmington during the winter months but once April arrives and the snow melts, I become anxious to begin my season in the Beaverkill. Its clarity reminds me of the rivers that I would play in as a child in Scotland. Being around the translucent and majestic waters always gave me a sense of calmness while the water's purity made me feel as though I could drink it. Comparatively speaking to the rivers mentioned above, I think that the Beaverkill holds the cleanest waters out of them all.
http://www.reelwaters.com/admin/editor/editor_uploads/Image/beaverkill_two.jpgWhen strong rains hit this inviting river, it unfortunately becomes somewhat chocolate in appearance, although I believe that this effect is caused by the Willowemac's flow rather than the Beaverkill itself. The river will clear fairly fast regardless. If the rain is calm, then the water may only be slightly affected anyway.
On the Beaverkill, caddis can seemingly be hatching all day. At some point between the third week of May and last week of June, March Browns will come out in full swing. Olives and other mayflies grace the river with their presence too. No matter what bugs are in season, it is the river's natural origin that I enjoy the most.