PDA

View Full Version : Quantity or quality - Fish

FinnsnGrinns
05-15-2008, 08:18 AM
While striper fishing do you like it more when you catch alot of fish or are you like me and prefer to catch quality fish, clean with nice markings.:fishing:

dogfish
05-16-2008, 10:18 PM
I look for schoollies when bringing the family. Otherwise, would rather spend a whole week targeting bigger fish than getting small bass or blues every night.

bababooey
05-16-2008, 10:48 PM
I would rather catch fish each time any size. Bass are nice, but if using light tackle and fishing sucks, i'lll take some big sea robins if that's all there is. not reallly happy with the skates and dogfish, though.

fishinmission78
05-17-2008, 05:04 PM
^ What he said, addicted to the action, even if its 20' schoolies, all good.

lostatsea
05-15-2009, 04:04 PM
I'd rather have a couple of nice bass or blues than a lot of smaller fish.

surfwalker
05-15-2009, 07:02 PM
I'll take 'em either way, long as I see the stripes.

Monty
05-15-2009, 07:13 PM
I am ok with either situation, just being out there is great. But given the choice, I would take the big, quality fish over quantity.

jimbob
05-15-2009, 10:16 PM
I would prefer to catch large bass, but I really don't care one way or another. I like the action on surface plugs.

Rip-Plugger
05-15-2009, 11:02 PM
in my early years it was amounts that mattered,these days I target larger fish and I have been more successfull at it.
I began fishing larger plugs and rubber and to this day I am not afraid to sling out a monster piece of wood after my quarry.
besides,if something hits my wood,it is something good 'cause I fish mostly large.

R-P

gjb1969
05-15-2009, 11:23 PM
eather way is fine with me just fishing is all i need so if i get a bunch of small fish its cool big girls is cool to just want to fish:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
05-16-2009, 04:32 AM
I am ok with either situation, just being out there is great. But given the choice, I would take the big, quality fish over quantity.

This is me lately as well. Have been spending a lot of time going for fish I have only dreamed about. Decided to make the dreams a reality this year. It doesn't have to be a trophy bass, either, I'm addicted to the fight.

The biggest fish that can give me the best action for that time of the year, is the one I will go after at that moment. That also includes monster blues, 15# class. I'll drive further to go after fish like that, even for bluefish, I like the fight with big blues that much. :heart:

Or I'll try to catch a fish that I know will only be around for a short while. This is the year I challenge myself more than I ever have. I know there will be a lot of skunked nights, no big deal. I know I could scratch a fish or 2 out of usual spots, but I want something more than that this year, I'm willing to go fishless in that pursuit. For me, it will be worth it.

finchaser
05-16-2009, 06:48 AM
Either or just as long as something pulls on the line they all go back anyway.
Big blues are another thing love them
Bass, teenagers fight the best IMO after 30# bass are lazy and in the 40 to 50# one run and it's over. They are like people as they age they get big and heavy and slow and tire out fast there best friend is current.

plugaholic
06-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Either or just as long as something pulls on the line

Yes, I agree. It's not a happy trip if I didn't get a pull on my line, even a skate or doggie is ok. I'll take it, at least it was something. :thumbsup:

finchaser
06-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Another thing comes to mine I like to catch all sizes as it assures me of healthy stocks. when a particular size disappears for we are in trouble again.

nitestrikes
07-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Another thing comes to mine I like to catch all sizes as it assures me of healthy stocks. when a particular size disappears for we are in trouble again.

That's a good point. I read that somewhere before the last moratorium was put into place, there were mostly a lot of big fish being caught and no one thought anything was askew. I think they called it the "bowl of M&M's" theory, where you could keep taking M&Ms and not notice the amount in the bowl was getting smaller.

clamchucker
07-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Either or just as long as something pulls on the line they all go back anyway.

Absolutely. I don't need to chase after the trophies, leave that to you younger folks. I know I will run into a nice fish a few times a season by virtue of being in the right place at the right time. You can't necessarily plan that. Looking back at log books helps, but sometimes it's just dumb luck. I enjoy anything on the end of the line, it makes it all worthwhile.

ledhead36
02-05-2010, 01:05 PM
When I bring the kids I want them to get in on a lot of action so I don't care about the size. When I am solo, I want to hunt for that big fiish.

skinner
12-23-2010, 10:43 AM

I think that's an important indicator too. I don't remember hearing as many 50lb bass caught this year as in previous years. Maybe I'm guilty of that mindset too. If I am out there, I would rather catch a big fish. When everything goes right and you land it, you have a sense of achievement. All I need is one, though. I feel supplies are limited. When I have reached the mark I set for myself for the year, say like 30 lbs, I try to let the others go. I do understand the excitement of keeping a 50, even though people say they don't taste great. If I got one I would have a hard time letting her go and would probably bring her home.