PDA

View Full Version : Bunker boats: an up close look - who are they, where do they come from?

finchaser
05-28-2010, 07:50 PM
The 5 out of state bunker BAIT boats that worked Manasquan and north left a trail of dead bass which was over 4 miles long. Bass were in the bunker nets and were not scooped with a net like the bunker but gaffed and thrown over to die. This is how they make a statement since they can't net bass in NJ waters to keep as a bye catch:burn:.
Yes its perfectly legal as they can't keep them but they don't need to kill them either:(.they could scoop and release them,the scoops they off load bunker with are about 3 feet round.

speedy
05-28-2010, 07:59 PM
The 5 bunker BAIT boats that worked Manasquan and north left a trail of dead bass which was over 4 miles long. Bass were in the bunker nets and were not scooped with a net like the bunker but gaffed and thrown over to die. This is how they make a statement to keep bass as a bye catch:burn:.
Yes its perfectly legal as they can't keep them but they don't need to kill them either:(.
:burn::burn: some one should gaff them and throw them over :burn::burn::burn::burn:
and this is legal that not right :burn::burn::burn::burn::burn:

speedy
05-28-2010, 08:02 PM
fin did you get pics i have a freind high up the rope game warden

Monty
05-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Seriously, do we expect anything different now a days?
Every day I am amazed at how low the people in this country are.
I am thoroughly disgusted with this country.

surfwalker
05-28-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm not surprised in the least at the arrogance and defiance of the me people that are out there. Because it's legal doesn't make it right. It's becoming more evident that these people are just out for themselves and have no conscience. Ignorance also contributes to downsizing of a species. Makes me sick.

finchaser
05-28-2010, 08:47 PM
From a charter friend of mine,as he repoerted today on another site.

Short report because we are all very pissed at what these out of state bunker netters are doing to our resources while degrading water quality. They are out of control and are now using an offshore reduction vessel. Word has it they killed a right whale on thursday and hundreds of trophy bass daily that are considered by catch.

speedy
05-28-2010, 09:12 PM
From a charter friend of mine,as he repoerted today on another site.

Short report because we are all very pissed at what these out of state bunker netters are doing to our resources while degrading water quality. They are out of control and are now using an offshore reduction vessel. Word has it they killed a right whale on thursday and hundreds of trophy bass daily that are considered by catch.
:burn::burn::burn::burn::burn::burn::burn:if i had my way some c4 wood find there boat ooopps it is very upsetting that they let them do this :burn::burn::burn::burn::burn:

speedy
05-28-2010, 09:43 PM
The 5 out of state bunker BAIT boats that worked Manasquan and north left a trail of dead bass which was over 4 miles long. Bass were in the bunker nets and were not scooped with a net like the bunker but gaffed and thrown over to die. This is how they make a statement since they can't net bass in NJ waters to keep as a bye catch:burn:.
Yes its perfectly legal as they can't keep them but they don't need to kill them either:(.they could scoop and release them,the scoops they off load bunker with are about 3 feet round.
fin just got off the phone with my freind from fish&game he sad he needs to see pic he said they are c&r only not killed that is what he is telling me they can be thrown over not killed

DarkSkies
05-28-2010, 10:10 PM
It's kinda hard Speedy, but not impossible. They told me they want specific proof. I spent a few afternoons last year taking video footage of a Comm, but the best I could do was document some minor violations. Not worth it for them to prosecute.

A lot of the boats Fin is talking about have proper permits. The only way to make them disappear is for fishermen to get organized like they did in the 1980's, when guys like Finchaser, Joe Melillo, Surfwalker, and a host of others and Fishing clubs out there all got together and kept at it.

I don't mean to sound cynical, but to get that level of invoilvement from fishermen today might be next to impossible. We Recs can't even make a good % showing at the March on Washington. There are millions of Rec anglers on the US's Coastal Zones, yet only a few thousand showed up to protest regs that affect the rules for everyone.

Today, at this moment, many fishermen are more concerned about when the next wave of big fish will be close and how they can get one. That's the way it is. I don't see that changing much until the majority see the cause and affect between netting the bunker in close and the immediate decline in the fishery after.

Many fishermen out there today aren't old enough to remember what life was like back then, nor do they care. That's what were working with here, although I have many thanks and praise for those who DO care. :thumbsup:

Here's a partial answer, Speedy.

DarkSkies
05-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Speedy, sometimes the will and desire of fishermen is not enough. That's why PACs (Political Action Organizations) like the RFA were formed. They get things done. :thumbsup:

Recreational Fishing Alliance
Friends & anglers,

As we celebrate the Memorial Day weekend, Our nation's primary fishery law - the Magnuson Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act - contains restrictions that have no sound basis in science, and were put into law with help from the Pew Charitable Trusts and their friends at Environmental Defense, Natural Resource Defense Council and the Marine Fish Conservation Network. The agenda of these uncompromising Pew-funded environmental groups is pretty clear to us here at the RFA - to keep us off the water, using whatever means possible.

The question remains, why is it always the fishermen?

Again, why is always the resource users who take the switch, while resource abusers walk away unscathed?

Recreational fishermen are conservationists - we all want to rebuild our nation's fisheries, but there's no need to get there in random timeframes that shut down access while waiting for fisheries to rebuild. While these wild-eyed environmental organizations propose radical plans to privatize fisheries and arbitrarily restrict angler access, the RFA has been actively lobbying Congress for a more responsible plan, leading rallies on DC, and taking on serious legal challenges in hopes of reversing the indifference that currently exists at the federal level towards our recreational fishing communities.

Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend, and may God bless America!

Jim Hutchinson, Jr.
Managing Director - RFA
Join the RFA!!!

speedy
05-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Here's a partial answer, Speedy.
dark but 4 miles of dead bass is not good for them:huh::huh::huh:

finchaser
05-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Bait boats are legal but I don't believe reduction boats are legal

voyager35
06-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Some friends and I have been arguing over a few beers about ways to curtail the bunker boats. I went and did some research, as finchaser says they have their permits. Short of cutting holes in their hulls it doesn't seem there is much we can do as long as the Omega vacuum (reduction) boats are not out there doing it. From what some other captains have said a lot of these boats were from other states like MA and RI.

The only way to win on this one seems to gettting outraged and getting our politicians involved again. Anyone think Pallone is up to the task or will he just collect our contributions. My thinking is maybe that new candidate Diane Gooch could use this as a campaign plank. Or the RFA in NJ could help us. Either way, it won't get done by us complaining about it. I wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

Here's some stuff that was out there on the internet -

SHIRRED OR PURSE SEINES FOR MENHADEN FOR FISH MEAL REDUCTION
The taking of Atlantic menhaden by any means for the purpose of fish meal reduction is prohibited.
SHIRRED OR PURSE SEINES FOR MENHADEN FOR BAIT

SEASON:

January 1 to December 31.

AREA:

Atlantic Ocean - between 0.6 and 3 nautical miles from shore, jetties or piers; Raritan Bay and Sandy Hook Bay - not closer than 0.6

nautical miles from shore, jetties or piers; Delaware Bay - that portion of Delaware Bay south and east of LORAN C line 42850 not closer than 0.6

nautical miles from shore, jetties or piers.

GEAR:

Purse or shirred net.

SPECIAL RESTRICTION:

Applicants must apply for a bait permit between January 1 and March 1 in every calendar year. No applications shall

be accepted after March 1 in any calendar year. Maximum length of vessel is 90 feet. Maximum length of net is 150 fathoms (900 feet). Removal

of fish from purse seine shall be by brailing or dip netting only. Fish pumps are prohibited aboard harvest vessels permitted to purse seine menhaden

for bait. All fishing and related activities may not occur any closer to the shore, jetties or piers than 0.6 nautical miles in the Atlantic Ocean,

Delaware Bay and Raritan and Sandy Hook bays. No fishing permitted between sunset and sunrise. No fishing permitted on Saturdays, Sundays or
any holiday officially observed by the State of New Jersey (New Year's Day, Martin Luther King's Birthday, Lincoln's Birthday, Washington's

Birthday, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Election Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day, and

Christmas Day). No stakes, markers, buoys, crab pots, lobster pots, fish pots, or staked shellfish grounds shall be disturbed by the act of fishing.

Possession of any fish other than menhaden is prohibited.
Any vessel engaged in fishing for Atlantic menhaden for bait must obtain a bait permit and shall display, on both sides of the vessel amidships, a
yellow capital letter "B" not less than five feet in height on a black square background not less that six feet on a side, or as otherwise specified in the
regulation. In all cases, however, each side of the black background shall be no less that three-quarters of the height of the gunwale at amidships
from the waterline.
A permit suspension/revocation schedule exists for violation of authorized fishing areas. Any vessel operating under this permit is required to
notify the Division’s Marine Enforcement Unit (609-748-2050) on a daily basis of the identity of the vessel, the intended fishing locations of the
vessel or any change in intended fishing location prior to the onset of fishing activity. All persons licensed to take Atlantic menhaden for bait
purposes only shall keep and submit accurate records of the amount and location of Atlantic menhaden harvested.

FEE:

Based upon gross tonnage - range $20-$700

voyager35
06-02-2010, 05:08 PM
This was passed Jan 6,2002.
Dark I believe you also have a thread on it somewhere here.

P.L. 2001, CHAPTER 359,
approved January 6, 2002

Assembly, No. 3512
A
N ACT
1 concerning the taking of menhaden in State coastal waters
2 and amending R.S.23:3-51.
4 BE IT ENACTED by the Senate and General Assembly of the State
of New Jersey:

7 1. R.S.23:3-51 is amended to read as follows:
8 23:3-51. a. A person intending to take menhaden with purse or
9 shirred nets in any waters in the jurisdiction of this State, including the
10 waters of the Atlantic ocean, within
[3] three nautical miles of the
11 coast line of this State, shall apply to the commissioner for a license
12 therefor. The commissioner, upon [the] receipt of the application and
13 payment [to him] of the fee [provided in section 23:3-52 of this
14 Title] required pursuant to R.S.23:3-52 , may, [in his discretion] at
15 the commissioner's discretion, issue to the applicant a license [,] to
16 take menhaden [with purse or shirred nets] , except as prohibited in
17 subsection b. of this section . The license shall be void after December
18 31 next succeeding its issuance.
19 b. Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection a. of this section
20 or any other law, or any rule or regulation adopted pursuant thereto,
21 to the contrary, the commissioner shall not issue a license for the
22 taking of menhaden, and no person may take menhaden, in State
23 coastal waters, including Delaware, Great, Raritan, and Sandy Hook
24 bays, for the purpose of reduction, including conversion to fish meal,
25 oil, and other components.
26 c. This act shall not affect the taking of menhaden in State coastal
27 waters for the use as bait for commercial or recreational purposes.
28 (cf: P.L.1979, c.199, s.66)
30 2. This act shall take effect immediately.
33 STATEMENT
35 This bill prohibits the taking of menhaden in State coastal waters,
36 including Delaware, Great, Raritan, and Sandy Hook Bays, for the
37 purpose of fish meal reduction. Under the bill, the licensed taking of
38 menhaden in State coastal waters for use as bait for commercial or
39 recreational purposes would continue to be permitted.
A3512

3 Prohibits taking of menhaden in State coastal waters for fish meal
4 reduction.

rockhopper
06-02-2010, 05:34 PM

As much as it sucks they are only interested in what they are making a living on. Soon they will not have a reason to get the bunker.

paco33
06-04-2010, 10:49 AM
This is how they make a statement since they can't net bass in NJ waters to keep as a bye catch:burn:.

It almost seems like they are giving a big :2flip: to state officials?

This was in today's Asbury Park Press. They can't get herring so they are scooping up all the bunker. Contact your legislator and tell them you support the A2304/S1130 bills.

http://www.app.com/article/20100604/...bus-amendments (http://www.app.com/article/20100604/OPINION05/6040345/On-bunker-boats-and-omnibus-amendments)

On bunker boats and omnibus amendments

By JOHN OSWALD ?€? STAFF COLUMNIST ?€? June 4, 2010
While many anglers thought the bunker boats that once plied New Jersey waters were a thing of the past, they're back. This time the boats are after the bunker for bait and not for the purpose of fish meal, cat food, fertilizer and the other products the reduction boats provided.

"These are bait boats, not reduction boats, so we're not seeing the massive, mechanized depletion of our coastal bunker stocks for the purpose of reduction," said Jim Donofrio, RFA's Executive Director.

DarkSkies
06-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks for all the informative postings on this guys. The link to the original bunker bill info is this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5151

Anyone who is mad as hell about this, that's a good thing. :burn: Take that anger and use it to send letters to your legislators.

Contact the RFA, get included in their newsletters through an e-mail sign up, and keep yourselves informed.

This will not be resolved with rhetoric on the internet.

As Capt Adam has said, there are bills in the works, but they're not completed yet. These guys need our support. There is still a danger that they won't be passed.

All for the price of a $70-200 yearly permit, these out-of state boats can come into our NJ waters and net all the bunker they want. If this doesn't seem unfair to you folks out there, I don't know what would be more unfair.

Use your outrage to get involved.
Become part of the solution not the problem.
Many hands and voices are needed, make yours count today. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
06-04-2010, 12:54 PM
The thread below, originally posted by Finchaser, illustrates how the "big guys" Omega Protein get things done, by generous campaign contributions to the key legislators in their districts.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5839

The one benefit here is that the majority of the bunker boats that were gathering bunker off NJ were independents. Sure there were ones allegedly connected to Omega, and the Omega boat was allegedly offshore beyond 3 miles. (Still waiting for photo evidence of that).

For the most part, these are single boats coming in from other states because they can't get herring. They use the argument that they have to feed their families, this is what they must do. I feel bad that they have the herring resource taken away from them, but not bad enough to give them carte blanche to net all our bunker. :don't know why:

There is no sense of "selective netting" with these guys, they net all the bunker (and "bass bycatch" under them) until the bunker are gone.

The fish move on when this happens, they don't wait around for new pods of bunker to come up the coast.

That's why right now the majority of striped bass are following their northern migration in search of cooler water and larger bait.

The bunker are the key, though. Ask H Bruce Franklin, who wrote "The Most Important Fish in the Sea". The bunker that were here would have held the bass in the ocean for at least another few weeks until the ocean temps pushed those fish north. We all should be outraged about that. :learn:

Marinas, coffee shops, B&T shops, and others that were dependent on a robust striped bass fishery will suffer as less fishermen will be out there.

Part of me sees a benefit in this, as I feel those fish have been hammered all along the Eastern Coast this year, and it seems the numbers of big bass are slightly down at each place they visit.

But that's for another thread...the focus here is to help the PACs like the RFA and others who represent us to get these bills passed.

The bunker in NJ state waters should stay in NJ waters until it moves off on it's own. NY years ago enacted some of the strictest regulations for bunker netters, and doesn't have half the problems with bunker netters that we have. :clapping:

It's time for NJ legislators to get tough with these netters, and demand a closer look at the tenuous relationships between bunker netters and out of state corporations. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

We as fishermen deserve at least that, but we won't get that handed to us. We have to fight for it.

Thanks for reading, and I hope this spurs you on to at least write a letter or join the RFA. :thumbsup:

www.joinRFA.org (http://www.joinRFA.org)

voyager35
06-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Some info, on S1140

Thursday, June 03, 2010

VAN DREW BILL TO PROTECT COMMERCIAL, RECREATIONAL FISHING CLEARS COMMITEE

Legislation Would Restrict Harvest of Local Bait Fish

TRENTON – Legislation sponsored by Senator Jeff Van Drew (D-Cape May/Cumberland/Atlantic) that would protect commercial and recreational fishing in New Jersey was approved today by the Senate Environment and Energy Committee.

The bill (S-1140) would limit the issuance of permits for the commercial fishing of menhaden, a popular bait fish, beginning in 2011.

The measure was crafted to protect New Jersey from an influx of commercial fishermen from New England looking to harvest menhaden for lobster bait, as a result of a federal restriction on the amount of herring that can be used for that purpose.

“This legislation would restrict menhaden harvesting to historical levels, and prevent our waterways from becoming overrun by commercial fishermen from up and down New England’s coast,” said Senator Van Drew. “This is about protecting our commercial fishing industry, but also about ensuring our recreational fishermen have the ability to cast a line in open waters.”

Menhaden is used for bait by commercial fisheries but also is a major food source for striped bass, a top recreational catch in New Jersey. Van Drew noted that commercial and recreational fishermen in New Jersey waters cooperate and said a deluge of out-of-state commercial fishermen could pose a conflict.

Beginning in 2011, the bill would require the Environmental Protection commissioner to restrict the licenses issued for commercial menhaden fishing to people who had a valid license for at least one of the years from 2002 to 2009, and possessed a valid license in the preceding year.

The measure would also limit the size of replacement vessels for commercial fishing, requiring that no new vessel used to harvest menhaden could be greater than 10 percent larger in length, gross registered tonnage or net tonnage; a replacement vessel also could be no more than 20 percent greater in horsepower than the vessel that qualified for a license in 2010.

Additionally, no vessel used to harvest menhaden commercially could be greater than 90 feet in length, and any that did not fit the requirement would have to be retired.

The bill now heads to the full Senate.

basshunter
06-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Fishing Column: Bait bill moves forward

By JOHN OSWALD • STAFF WRITER • June 7, 2010

A New Jersey Senate bill that would limit permits for the commercial fishing for mossbunker has been approved by the Senate Environment and Energy Committee and will now move on to a full senate vote.

The legislation was crafted to protect New Jersey from an influx of commercial fishermen from New England looking to harvest the popular baitfish. The appearance of these boats in state waters, more noticable in recent weeks due to the thick bunker schools, is a result of federal restrictions on the amount of herring normally harvested for bait.

Sponsored by Senator Jeff Van Drew (D-District 1) the bill would protect commercial and recreational fishing in the state.
"This legislation would restrict menhaden harvesting to historical levels, and prevent our waterways from becoming overrun by commercial fishermen from up and down New England's coast," Senator Van Drew said. "This is about protecting our commercial fishing industry, but also about ensuring our recreational fishermen have the ability to cast a line in open waters."

Beginning in 2011, the bill would require the Environmental Protection commissioner to restrict the licenses issued for commercial menhaden fishing to people who had a valid license for at least one of the years from 2002 to 2009, and possessed a valid license in the preceding year.

The measure would also limit the size of replacement vessels for commercial fishing, requiring that no new vessel used to harvest menhaden could be greater than 10 percent larger in length, gross registered tonnage or net tonnage; a replacement vessel also could be no more than 20 percent greater in horsepower than the vessel that qualified for a license in 2010.

The Assembly version of this bill, A2304, was unanimously passed in March, and once S1140 passes in the Senate, all that remains is for Gov. Christie to sign it into law.

http://www.app.com/article/20100607/SPORTS06/6070347/Fishing-Column-Bait-bill-moves-forward

DarkSkies
06-10-2010, 10:15 AM
There are some internet sites out there now where the members are urging other members to write letters, and the belief that this will get some results.

First of all, let me say I applaud those guys who took the initiative to think of that. :clapping::clapping: They're actually trying to effect a positive change instead of just ranting on the internet. :thumbsup:

However, there are times when letter writing campaigns and e-mails are just not effective. I believe the politicians have gotten smart about the increased e-mail volume, and are now responding with "template responses" without even reading the context of the letters that are being sent to them.

The post below is a small illustration of this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=29288

That's why I feel we need to put more support into fishermen PACs like the RFA and others. We need some muscle behind our words and sentiments. The PACS are in a position to achieve results, and they will not tolerate being ignored by politicians

DarkSkies
06-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Here's a post I put up on another site, I think it helps to put things into perspective...

I have some tentative numbers for you guys to help put it into perspective...

(please be aware that all these numbers are mere estimates to help people understand the magnitude. Some assumptions were made in these calculations and I'm not looking for anyone to take these as Gospel. Do your own research and learn about this. Anyone who has more accurate numbers is welcome to post theirs, and I will be glad to edit mine) http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

It was reported that in the last few days, approx 31 million lbs of bunker were netted.

That's 31 million pounds. :eek:

Just for the sake of argument, assume that each bunker boat (there were 8) split the take, each bunker weighed 1lb, and the netters were paid .05c/lb for each bunker. Again, I know I'm simplifying this and there may be inaccuracies in these calculations. I'm just trying to illustrate a point....

31million x .05c/lb = approx $1.55 million in value at the wholesale level.
If you distribute this "total" among the approx 8 boats, that gives them gross revenue of approx $187k/vessel, all for a few day's work.

Again, even if these numbers are not completely accurate, consider their cost of doing business in the state of NJ

1. Cost for bunker permit for each boat, $70-500/boat, according to statute.
2. Cost of fuel to come down to NJ.
3. Cost of labor and lodging for crewmates.
4. Cost of spotter planes.

Probably less than $100 k for all those out of state boats to be here, and less than $5600 in permit fees to the state of NJ.

So...
for the measly price of less than $5600 in yearly permit fees,,, (for all of the 8 boats)
these boats get carte blanche to take as many bunker as they can, with as many visits as they can manage, to NJ.

Meanwhile, we as a state:
1. Lose revenue from fishermen who aren't fishing, as there are now less striped bass, with less bunker around.
2. The bass don't have a reason to stick around, and many are now North of us, so we have an opportunity loss there.
3. Loss of revenue - to marinas, gas stations, delis, tackle shops, charter captains, who will make a percentage less this year than they did last year...

All because we allow other states to come in and net our bunker.

As I said, some may find fault with some of the points I made here. I threw this together in a hurry, I'm not claiming 100% accuracy.

However, I do claim that not having these bunker for our NJ recreational fishermen represents a huge economic loss to many ancillary parties.

That's the part I would like you fishermen and fisherwomen to key in on, and the part where you should be mad as hell.

DarkSkies
06-11-2010, 07:29 PM
bunker boats:
Where are they netting?
Who are they?
Where do they come from?
Who are they affiliated with?
Who do they sell their catch to?
Do they operate under any restrictions?

These and all related questions are acceptable topics for this thread.

Feel free to post up all observations of bunker boats you see on a daily basis, here.

DarkSkies
06-11-2010, 07:39 PM
I want to state at the outset that these guys are all allowed to do what they're doing.

They all have the appropriate permits, which they've paid the state of NJ anywhere from $20-$700 for unlimited access to our bunker.

They aren't breaking any laws.

No matter how strongly your feelings may be against them and the netting they do, remember they have followed the regulations, and are permitted to to this by our elected officials and bureaucrats.

This thread is merely an attempt to document their whereabouts.

We have a constitutional right to know who from out of state is coming into our state, netting our fish, and sending them to other places.

We have a constitutional right to know who's being greedy and scooping up every last bunker, so our NJ fishermen have nothing left to fish for when the bass leave as there no bunker to hold them.

I shot some footage today.

Nothing spectacular, just a bunker boat going about it's business.

I think we have a right to know who are these guys in our waters.

Feel free to post up anything on this topic, pics, catch estimates, videos, any official communications regarding these netters, etc. Boat names, owners, corporate ownership (if any) would all be great info to post up, if you have access to it.

I don't feel the proposed legislation will stop the out of state netters who are already coming in. I came up with the idea for this thread to raise public awareness when we get to the next level, next year. People will begin to undertand the current proposed legislation has too many loopholes and doesn't give us the protections they think it will.

I'll post the videos, and some more pics, as I get a chance.

Thanks for any help you guys can give to keep this going. :thumbsup:

cardoc765
06-11-2010, 07:41 PM
after talking to the guys i see and talk to on a daily basis here is what I know.

A lot of the bunker boats invading us right now are not even from our area. The belford pirates and other local boats are doing thier normal thing. Some from down south have gone a bit crazy. However further north meaning north of NY they have been closed down to being able to fish for herring as a means of bait fish and other needs such as cat food and stuff. So, those boats instead of tying up and not making money have been making the trip down here. They stay for a few days netting all kinds of bunker and then head back north. They unload and plan another trip back here. It is true that in their catches they are netting any fish that are feeding on the bunker and not releasing them properly.

So, here in NJ we now have almost double the amount of bunker boats than we are used to. Who is governing them is beyond me. But there are captains getting together to find out why this is happening and how it can be governed. They are ticked off about it because it is killing the fishery and will leave us with nothing to fish for in the coming years. They know it has to be stopped and are working on a plan to try and make it happen.

DarkSkies
06-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Sent in by Finchaser, thanks!

Update: Monday - June 7, 2010 - 2pm - Manasquan, NJ - Just got off the phone with Capt. Gene from Shore Catch. As I type this there are 7 commercial netters from Gloucester, MA and Cape May, NJ netting on every bunker school their little plane can find. Sorry guys if we can't find any more bait to fish with. If you care you can print & sign the below letter which is in circulation thanks to The Greater United Charter Boat Fleet of New Jersey. Mail it to the politician(s) of your choice. Since it's only a template you can modify to your liking. Very sad if our bass fishing is over because of commercial bunker netting.

June 7, 2010

Governor Chris Christie
Office of the Governor
PO Box 001
Trenton, NJ 08625-001

Senator Frank Lautenberg
Hart Senate Office Building
Suite 324
Washington, DC 20510

Senator Jeff Van Drew
21 North Main Street
Cape May Court House, NJ 08210

Senator Robert Menendez
Suite 528
Washington, DC 20510

Director David Chanda
N.J. Division of Fish and Wildlife
P.O. Box 400
Trenton, NJ 08625-0400

Congressman Frank Pallone, Jr.
504 Broadway
Long Branch, NJ 07740

Senator Bob Smith
216 Stelton Road
Suite E-5
Piscataway, NJ 08854

Re: Support For Senator Jeff Van Drew, Menhaden Bill A2304/S1140
Menhaden Purse Seining Regulations & Compliance
Request for Termination of Menhaden Commercial Netting
State of New Jersey Coastal Waters By New Jersey Taxpayers

Dear Elected Officials:

I am writing in support of the Bunker Bill A2304/S1140 currently being sponsored in the Assembly by Mathew Milam, Nelson Albano, Celeste Riley and in the Senate by Jeff Van Drew and Robert Smith.

I am also writing to each of you to place you on notice of the out of control and unregulated commercial purse seining and netting of Menhaden currently being conducted in New Jersey coastal waters, specifically off Ocean and Monmouth counties. Out of state vessels, ships, trucking companies supported by planes and helicopters are netting thousands of tons of Menhaden from New Jersey state waters daily. In just 2 weeks they have wiped out miles upon miles of Menhaden. Our ecosystem cannot support this level of netting. Indiscriminate killing and by catch may include right whales, striped bass, weakfish, bluefish, turtles and dolphins. We have been subject to constant harassment from low flying spotter planes and total disregard by reckless netting activities. The public is outraged and the media has been contacted.

As a local recreational fishermen, taxpayer and voter I am personal witness to the devastation caused by these vessels and the negative effects it has on New Jersey recreational fishing, local economies and water quality. I am asking you all to immediately suspend and eliminate the commercial netting of Menhaden in NJ state waters pending an environmental and ecological study. The amount of Menhaden being netted is unregulated and cannot be sustained and will be exhausted by these purse seiners. They are very efficient with their spotter planes, helicopters, 1/5 mile nets, vacuums, transport ships and dozens of 70-90 foot vessels all while being non discriminatory. This occurs Monday-Friday, sun up to sun down. I really question what the state of New Jersey gets out of this? The state permit fee of $200 is minimal but consequences on recreational fishing and water quality are tremendous. New Jersey is allowing out of state vessels, out of state trucking companies, out of state payrolls yielding poor recreational fishing and millions of dollars in lost sales tax revenue from anglers not spending money on motels, restaurants, fuel, tackle, bait, boat purchases, registration fees, food, recreational fishing charters, tolls, insurance, boat maintenance, etc while sacrificing the water quality for the state of New Jersey (Menhaden are huge filter feeders of algae and plankton which is now spiking due to high nitrogen levels from fertilizer run off, also a separate DEP issue). This is a violation of every citizens and anglers rights fishing New Jersey coastal waters.

The issue needs to be addressed ASAP before our waters suffer the same consequences of the Chesapeake Bay. Does the state even know or care where the hundreds of thousands of tons of Menhaden are trucked to or what they are used for? We are told for bait only but no one can be sure of this. Possibly being delivered to Corporations for processing? A single Corporation located in Virginia operates 41 company-owned fishing vessels and 32 spotter planes for use in their fishing operations. Spotter planes are used to locate schools of fish and then directing the ships for the final catch with a purse seine net. Does the state care that out of state businesses are profiting from our resources at our expense on so many levels? The State of New Jersey including the citizens are getting ripped off in many ways, plain and simple. Once these vessels deplete our waters they simply move on to another while our Ocean resembles a desert. How can you as our elected officials allow this to occur? Who is profiting from the depletion of our resources and what gives these out of state netters rights to our resources which are owned by us the taxpayers and voters of New Jersey? State resources are not owned by elected officials or by a consortium of unregulated out of state netters. We elected you to office to represent our interests. That clearly is not being done on this issue.

As you can tell the anglers of New Jersey oppose the current management of the Menhaden fishery and the state needs to eliminate the commercial netting of Menhaden now, not next year or next month. Please support and pass the Bunker Bill A2304/S1140 ASAP.

The state is also now contemplating the requirement that recreational saltwater fishermen register and we all anticipate a saltwater license requirement and fee in 2011 or 2012. This will be an insult to us based on the above management policies. As a neighboring state governor has stated, the American public has a right to fish. You can expect stern and collective opposition from the hundreds of thousands NJ saltwater anglers, voters and related sport fishing industries if something is not done to protect New Jersey marine resources ASAP. Specifically, Menhaden which is a staple food source for many migratory game fish of New Jersey while also filtering and purifying millions of gallons of seawater daily.

I also support the Reef Pot Bill and the elimination of all Gill Netting in New Jersey coastal waters which has resulted in the total collapse of our Weakfish population.

Thank you for your consideration. Please address our concerns and represent our interests as taxpayers, anglers and voters living and fishing in the State of NJ. You have a responsibility to protect our state resources for the greater interests of the public, not special interests and need to act now in support of Senator Van Drew's Menhaden Bill A2304/S1140.

Sincerely,

Cc: Fox5 News
WKXW 101.5 FM

Pebbles
06-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Done

Very interesting.

bababooey
06-12-2010, 11:01 AM
We saw them the last time we were out. Didn't think of taking pics though, we were too busy calling them every name in the book.:2flip: There wasn't one pod of bunker left when they were done. Dark I know you said they have permits and are legal, but there were a few times when they were right among us and were pretty close. I guess there are no regs that say how close they can come to other fishermen? I hate those guys.

DarkSkies
06-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Bababooey, here are some of the regs as originally posted by Voyager. I didn't read anything in there about how close they can be to other boats.
It does give us some interesting parameters, though:

1. They cannot be closer than 0.6 miles to shore. (That does present some difficulty in areas like Raritan Bay where the shoreline is irregular)

2. They cannot net on Saturdays, Sundays or Holidays.

3. They can net unlimited amounts of bunker, all for a yearly permit fee of between $20-700. Not a bad deal, huh?
That means that's the maximum revenue the state of NJ can get from these guys. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

4. Daily Notification:
"Any vessel operating under this permit is required to

notify the Division’s Marine Enforcement Unit (609-748-2050) on a daily basis of the identity of the vessel, the intended fishing locations of the
vessel or any change in intended fishing location prior to the onset of fishing activity. "
If anyone is interested in stopping these guys, especially the out of staters, maybe you might want to call the NJ MEU (609-748-2050) and see if they are in fact calling in every day. It seems like a minor point, but they're required to do this by law. I'm guessing that not every one of them does this on every trip out. I could be wrong, and if so I apologize. Sometimes minor violations in areas like this are the only defense we have to reach out of state netters who haven't complied.

Just my thoughts for anyone out there who is so motivated. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

Here ya go, and thanks to Voyager for posting them:

The taking of Atlantic menhaden by any means for the purpose of fish meal reduction is prohibited.

SEASON:

AREA:

Atlantic Ocean - between 0.6 and 3 nautical miles from shore, jetties or piers; Raritan Bay and Sandy Hook Bay - not closer than 0.6

nautical miles from shore, jetties or piers; Delaware Bay - that portion of Delaware Bay south and east of LORAN C line 42850 not closer than 0.6

GEAR:

Purse or shirred net.

SPECIAL RESTRICTION:

Applicants must apply for a bait permit between January 1 and March 1 in every calendar year. No applications shall

be accepted after March 1 in any calendar year. Maximum length of vessel is 90 feet. Maximum length of net is 150 fathoms (900 feet). Removal

of fish from purse seine shall be by brailing or dip netting only. Fish pumps are prohibited aboard harvest vessels permitted to purse seine menhaden

for bait. All fishing and related activities may not occur any closer to the shore, jetties or piers than 0.6 nautical miles in the Atlantic Ocean,

Delaware Bay and Raritan and Sandy Hook bays. No fishing permitted between sunset and sunrise. No fishing permitted on Saturdays, Sundays or

any holiday officially observed by the State of New Jersey (New Year's Day, Martin Luther King's Birthday, Lincoln's Birthday, Washington's

Birthday, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Election Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day, and

Christmas Day). No stakes, markers, buoys, crab pots, lobster pots, fish pots, or staked shellfish grounds shall be disturbed by the act of fishing.

Any vessel engaged in fishing for Atlantic menhaden for bait must obtain a bait permit and shall display, on both sides of the vessel amidships, a

yellow capital letter "B" not less than five feet in height on a black square background not less that six feet on a side, or as otherwise specified in the

regulation. In all cases, however, each side of the black background shall be no less that three-quarters of the height of the gunwale at amidships

from the waterline.
A permit suspension/revocation schedule exists for violation of authorized fishing areas. Any vessel operating under this permit is required to
vessel or any change in intended fishing location prior to the onset of fishing activity. All persons licensed to take Atlantic menhaden for bait
purposes only shall keep and submit accurate records of the amount and location of Atlantic menhaden harvested.

FEE:

rip316
06-12-2010, 07:11 PM
I did it too.

storminsteve
06-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Bunker boats threatening sportfishermen

Published: Friday, June 11, 2010, 8:07 PM Updated: Friday, June 11, 2010, 9:32 PM

(http://connect.nj.com/user/ajristor/index.html)Al Ristori (http://connect.nj.com/user/ajristor/index.html)
[/URL][URL="http://blog.nj.com/saltwaterfishing_impact/print.html?entry=/2010/06/bunker_boats_threatening_sport.html"] (javascript:OpenWindow('http://www.nj.com/sendthispage/sendthispage.ssf?'+location.href,490,510);)

Purse seiners licensed as "bait boats" have not only been wiping out millions of pounds of bunkers that are a critical factor in holding large stripers in our area, but they're now so intent on wiping out every school that those boats are trying to run sportfishing boats out of their way. Capt. Mike Copeman of the Renegade from Point Pleasant said he was threatened by a Gloucester seiner Wednesday afternoon. The crew of that boat threatened to sink him, and Copeman called the State Police to complain. In the past, bait boats (aided by spotter planes) found their own bunker schools, and stayed away from the recreational fleet. Unfortunately, that no longer seems to be the case. Anglers in the Manasquan area are up in arms, and a petition opposing their actions is being circulated.

A bill was approved in a Senate committee recently that would only allow bait boats that have been fishing in state waters for some time to receive licenses. That would halt the movement of New England herring boats into the bunker fishery after severe restrictions were placed on herring due to the overfishing by that fleet. Yet, the bill will do nothing to stop the decimation of local bunker stocks by the present bait boat fleet. The only solution is to put them outside state waters(three miles), just as was done with the reduction boat fleet several years ago. Almost all of the bait boats come from out-of-state, and contribute little to the state's economy.

Dark and others, you guys are right on the $$ with your comments. Bunker boats have to go!
Now they are threatening charter captains!

I copied and pasted the letter, sent it to Gov Christie, please do it guys if you get a chance, it only takes a minute.

wish4fish
06-14-2010, 05:40 PM
sink all the bunker boats, someone shud go at nite and drill holes below the water they are like the belford pirates they net everything and think of all the bass they kill:2flip:

clamchucker
06-14-2010, 05:51 PM
wish4fish, you are better off taking the letter they have here, copying it, and sending it to one of the people on the list. I did that and am suggesting for all you folks out there who are aggravated to do the same. Violence or vandalism never solves anything.

wish4fish
06-14-2010, 05:58 PM
i know just kidding lol they are all over tho, and i m sick of hearing about them, i hope next year is different

hookset
06-14-2010, 06:12 PM
This came from finchasers thread on 4 miles of dead bass -

SEASON:

AREA:

GEAR:

Purse or shirred net.

SPECIAL RESTRICTION:

from the waterline.

FEE:

hookset
06-14-2010, 06:15 PM

GEAR:

Purse or shirred net.

. Maximum length of vessel is 90 feet. Maximum length of net is 150 fathoms (900 feet). Removal

for bait.

I don't know if there was a violation, but on another site a captain was talking about reduction boats. The way I read this I thought they weren't allowed?
Also he said he was out there on Sat, and saw them. I thought they weren't allowed to net on Sat?

Here is the report -

"Broke Barnegat inlet at first light on Sat. Went south for bunker then stripers. Loaded up on bunker until a netter sat down along side of us and took most of the school. On the horizon at the 3 mile line there were four Bunker reduction boats waiting for the spotter plane"

cardoc765
06-15-2010, 09:28 AM
I was out with Mrs cardoc a couple weeks ago. We were headed north from belmar. As the boat was underway a bunker boat with a 15ft row boat with a motor on it flew past us. All of a sudden he saw the bait that we were headed to and immediately dropped his net and started circling right in front of us. We had to make a quick turn he was so close. Then a guy jumped in the row boat and started making circles of his own keeping other boats away from them. I couldn't believe the way they did it. It was like they owned the water and that was their fish and eff everyone else. At the risk of causing and accident was crazy. Wonder how many stripers they caught in that string? The bass were onthe bunker 2 seconds before they dropped the nets. :beatin::2flip:

cardoc765
06-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Check out this Fox new report
http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/loca...-part-1-030210 (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/investigates-fish-oil-part-1-030210)

lostatsea
06-15-2010, 11:13 AM
I was out with Mrs cardoc a couple weeks ago. We were headed north from belmar. As the boat was underway a bunker boat with a 15ft row boat with a motor on it flew past us. All of a sudden he saw the bait that we were headed to and immediately dropped his net and started circling right in front of us. We had to make a quick turn he was so close. Then a guy jumped in the row boat and started making circles of his own keeping other boats away from them. I couldn't believe the way they did it. It was like they owned the water and that was their fish and eff everyone else. At the risk of causing and accident was crazy. Wonder how many stripers they caught in that string? The bass were onthe bunker 2 seconds before they dropped the nets. :beatin::2flip:

That sucks cardoc. We were fishing this morning in Ocean county. On the way back we did see a bunker bait boat. I don't know if they were harassing anyone, but it certainly seems some laws were violated when you ran into them. Or if they are not breaking any laws, they are definitely acting like A**holes. That behavior will not win them any friends or popularity among fishermen, and you never know when you will run into them again. I don't understand why they don't get it?

captnemo
06-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Check out this Fox new report
http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/loca...-part-1-030210 (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/investigates-fish-oil-part-1-030210)

Great read cardoc thanks for posting.
Here is an article by Capt Chris Gatley who writes for ESPN outdoors.

Updated: June 14, 2010, 2:07 PM ET
Bunker wars

Commerical boats rustrating recreational anglers by affecting striper fishing

Email (http://sendtofriend.espn.go.com/sendtofriend/SendToFriend?URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/saltwater/columns/story?columnist=gatley_chris&id=5285331&title=Chris%20Gatley:%20Bunker%20wars&id=5285331)
Print (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=5285331&type=story)
Comments (http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/5285331)2 (http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/5285331)
http://a.espncdn.com/winnercomm/outdoors/i/col/colmug_gatley_chris.jpg By Chris Gatley
ESPNOutdoors.com
Archive (http://search.espn.go.com/chris-gatley/)

http://a.espncdn.com/winnercomm/outdoors/saltwater/2010/Gatley/WT-commbunker_576.jpgCourtesy Capt. Mickey MelchiondoA commercial bunker boat and its net tender ply the waters off New Jersy.
By now, saltwater anglers realize the importance of adult menhaden, or bunker, and the symbiotic relationship bunker play within our ecosystem.

Bunker are the true lifeline to the entire striped bass population along the east coast. What's more, bunker are filter feeders, and without them only bacteria and jellyfish can eat the plankton floating in the water.
The complexity here is that jellyfish also eat fish fry as well as fish eggs. In short, bunkers play a pivotal role in balancing the ecosystem.
Right now, the Atlantic Coast, specifically New Jersey, is witnessing a crushing blow to its Atlantic menhaden or bunker fishery with an unprecedented disturbance to the heart of the striped bass migration.
For weeks, large purse-seining vessels have situated themselves immediately off our coast while spotter planes and helicopters locate schools.
Like clockwork, planes and purse-seine vessels work in harmony as huge nets are continually set throughout the day. Most vessels have been adhering to the state legislation requiring them to remain at least three miles offshore.
http://a.espncdn.com/winnercomm/outdoors/saltwater/2010/Gatley/pg-katfishcharters.jpg Courtesy Michale LipariWith bunker stocks being depleted by the commercial fleet, could this be one of the last 50-pound stripers caught?

However, several boats, including the herring fleet from Gloucester, Mass., have found a loophole in the law that allows vessels with bait permits to deploy purse-seine nets within 6/10 of one mile off New Jersey beaches.

Tensions and frustration on the water are high and is so bad that a major war of words along with aggressive maneuverability among all boat captains has become vicious. Anglers, charter captains and commercial fleets are engaged in aggressive bouts on a daily basis.
One charter captain who wished to remain anonymous filed a complaint with the state police as his boat and life was threatened just days ago.
Other captains from the recreational fleet experience a daily display of aggressive boatmanship pushing them out of the way. In fear of getting run over or run aground, these recreational captains are learning to go the opposite direction.
If you were to drop by the commercial docks after successful hauls, you will see on average five to six tractor trailer loads of bunker being caught per vessel each day. Although recreational anglers understand that commercial fishermen are entitled to earning a living, the abundance of adult menhaden being extracted on a daily basis is alarming. Couple this with the main migration of striped bass passing through our waterways at this time and the disturbance to the striped bass fishery that results, and most would agree that regulations must change.
"On several occasions, I have seen big bass floating belly up behind the purse seining fleet," Captain Jim Gahm said.
Why are bunker so highly sought after? The primary products of bunker are fish meal and fish oil.
Two basic forms of fish meal are produced. When specific fish such as bunker, herring and pollack are harvested, it is solely used as a supplemental protein source fed to livestock.
Through the years, plant derived sources have become unavailable or have become too expensive. In addition, fish meal is used as a bypass protein source for lactating dairy cattle.
Another product, fish oils, has long been used in maintaining a healthy diet for humans.
Omega Protein Company is the commercial fleet using purse seining vessels to catch bunker along the Atlantic Coast as well as in the Gulf of Mexico. An official company press release may explain why so many boats have descended upon our waters and so quickly.
"The Deepwater Horizon oil spill, which has affected our business and has led to increased costs, has not had a material adverse effect on our planned Company-wide fish catch," said Joe von Rosenberg, Omega Protein Chairman and CEO. "Our previously announced operating plan to reconfigure our Gulf of Mexico fishing fleet to avoid the areas affected by the oil spill appears so far to be working well."
"The Company does not routinely announce fish catch statistics but it is doing so in this case because of the uniqueness of the situation created by the oil spill. The Company does not currently intend to update this information or make further announcements regarding fish catch, although it may elect to do so in the future if circumstances dictate."
According to NOAA, New Jersey has long been considered an important alternate fishing ground for commercial bunker fleets. Although I cannot get an official response from Omega Protein, reading between the lines leads me to believe that some (if not all) of these bunker boats from Virginia are the displaced boats that once fished the Gulf of Mexico population of bunker prior to the oil spill.
Add to the equation the closure of the herring fishery in New England and our bunker populations are experiencing an unprecedented number of commercial boats while recreational anglers are frustrated and up in arms.

Editor's note: Capt. Chris Gatley can be found with his fishing clients chasing striped bass in front of the Statue of Liberty, or heading offshore to the Atlantic Ocean canyons off the NJ/NY coast for tuna. His articles on cutting-edge fishing techniques can be found in The Fisherman Magazine, and he's a regular presenter at key sports shows during the winter months (when he's not pursuing whatever he can find in East Coast rivers).

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/saltwater/columns/story?columnist=gatley_chris&id=5285331

jigfreak
06-15-2010, 01:29 PM

If I was out there and they pulled that crap I know I would be tossing 8oz sinkers at their heads. You're a better man than me cardoc for keeping your cool.

cardoc765
06-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Got this at another site:

The Assembly and Senate are currently sponsoring Senator Van Drew's Menhaden Bill A2304/S1140 to reduce Bunker netting and or permitted vessels. Below is a letter that can be cut and pasted to Word for printing. If you are sick and tired as most of us are with the Bunker rodeo currently going on and depletion of our resources then print, sign and address the below letter that is being circulated courtesy of The United Charter Boat Fleet of New Jersey. Feel free to personalize it as you see fit. Time to act is now as the bill is currently being discussed and people are pissed:

Updated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 9, 2010

Governor Chris Christie
Office of the Governor
PO Box 001
Trenton, NJ 08625-001

Senator Frank Lautenberg
Suite 324
Washington, DC 20510

Senator Jeff Van Drew
21 North Main Street
Cape May Court House, NJ 08210

Senator Robert Menendez
Suite 528
Washington, DC 20510

Director David Chanda
N.J. Division of Fish and Wildlife
P.O. Box 400
Trenton, NJ 08625-0400

Congressman Frank Pallone, Jr.
504 Broadway
Long Branch, NJ 07740

Senator Bob Smith
216 Stelton Road
Suite E-5
Piscataway, NJ 08854

Re: Support For Senator Jeff Van Drew, Menhaden Bill A2304/S1140
Menhaden Purse Seining Regulations & Compliance
Request for Termination of Menhaden Commercial Netting
State of New Jersey Coastal Waters By New Jersey Taxpayers

Dear Elected Officials:

I am writing in support of the Bunker Bill A2304/S1140 (att.) currently being sponsored in the Assembly by Mathew Milam, Nelson Albano, Celeste Riley and in the Senate by Jeff Van Drew and Robert Smith.

I am also writing to each of you to place you on notice of the out of control and unregulated commercial purse seining and netting of Menhaden currently being conducted in New Jersey coastal waters, specifically off Ocean and Monmouth counties and in Raritan Bay. Out of state vessels, ships, trucking companies supported by a network of planes and helicopters are netting thousands of tons of Menhaden from New Jersey state waters daily wiping out the entire population of filter feeders and forage for game fish. In the last 2 weeks they have wiped out miles upon miles of Menhaden. Our ecosystem cannot support this level of netting. Indiscriminate killing and by catch may include right whales, striped bass, weakfish, bluefish, turtles and dolphins. We have been subject to constant harassment from low flying spotter planes and total disregard by reckless netting activities putting us in harms way. The public is outraged and the media has been contacted.

As a local recreational fishermen, taxpayer and voter I am personal witness to the devastation caused by these vessels and the negative effects it has on New Jersey recreational fishing, our local economies and water quality. I am asking you as our elected officials too immediately issue a moratorium while supporting Senator Jeff Van Drew’s Bill to restrict and then eliminate the commercial netting of Menhaden in New Jersey state waters pending an environmental and ecological study. The amount of Menhaden being netted is unregulated and cannot be sustained and is being exhausted by these purse seiners. They are very efficient with their spotter planes, helicopters, 1/5 mile nets, vacuums, transport ships and dozens of 70-90 foot vessels all while being non discriminatory. This occurs Monday-Friday, sun up to sun down without an annual quota! I really question what the state of New Jersey gets out of this? The state permit fee of $20- $700 is minimal but consequences on recreational fishing and water quality are tremendous.

New Jersey is allowing out of state vessels, out of state trucking companies, out of state payrolls yielding poor recreational fishing and millions of dollars in lost sales tax revenue from anglers not spending money on motels, restaurants, fuel, tackle, bait, boat purchases, registration fees, food, recreational fishing charters, tolls, insurance, boat maintenance, etc while sacrificing the water quality for the state of New Jersey (Menhaden are huge filter feeders of algae and plankton which is now spiking due to high nitrogen levels from fertilizer run off, also a separate DEP issue). This is a violation of every citizens and anglers rights fishing New Jersey coastal waters. The State of New Jersey has a fiduciary duty to protect our resources from foreign interests and states.

The issue needs to be addressed ASAP before our waters suffer the same consequences of the Chesapeake Bay. Does the state even know or care where the hundreds of thousands of tons of Menhaden are trucked or shipped to or what they are used for? We are told for bait only but no one can be sure of this as they are not pursued. Possibly being delivered to Corporations for processing? A single reduction Corporation located in Virginia operates 41 company-owned fishing vessels and 32 spotter planes for use in their fishing operations. Spotter planes are used to locate schools of fish and then directing the ships for the final catch with a purse seine net. Does the state care that out of state businesses are profiting from our resources at our expense on so many levels? The State of New Jersey including the citizens are being ripped off in so many ways, plain and simple. Once these vessels deplete our waters like they did to the Herring in Massachusetts they simply go back home while our Ocean resembles a desert. How can you as our elected officials allow this to occur? Who is profiting from the depletion of our resources and what gives these out of state netters rights to our resources which are owned by us the taxpayers and voters of New Jersey? State resources are not owned by elected officials or by a consortium of unregulated out of state netters. We elected you to office to represent and protect our interests. That clearly is not being done on this issue.

As you can tell the anglers of New Jersey oppose the current Menhaden management plan by The New Jersey Division of Fish & Wildlife. The state needs to revoke all permits and discontinue the harvesting of Menhaden now, not next year or next month. Regulation and quotas are nonexistent. After three phone calls to the Division of Fish & Wildlife I am still waiting for a list of the 2010 permitted Menhaden vessels.

The state is also now contemplating the requirement that recreational saltwater fishermen register and we all anticipate a saltwater license requirement and fee in 2011 or 2012. This will be an insult to us based on the above management policies. As a neighboring state governor has stated, the American public has a right to fish. You can expect stern and collective opposition from the hundreds of thousands NJ saltwater anglers, voters and related sport fishing industries if something is not done to protect New Jersey marine resources ASAP. Specifically, Menhaden which is a staple food source for many migratory game fish of New Jersey while also filtering and purifying millions of gallons of seawater daily.

I also support the Reef Pot Bill and the elimination of all Gill Netting in New Jersey coastal waters which has resulted in the total collapse of our Weakfish population in northern New Jersey waters.

Thank you for your assistance. Please address our concerns and represent our interests as taxpayers, anglers and voters living and fishing in the State of NJ. You have a responsibility to protect our state resources for the greater interests of the public, not special interests or neighboring state industries in exchange for minimal State permit fees ranging from $20-$700. Please act now in support of Senator Van Drew's Menhaden Bill A2304/S1140.

Sincerely,

cardoc765
06-15-2010, 02:23 PM
yet another charter capt. with bunker boat issues

This morning I went out early with a friend of mine and at 7:00 5 Bunker boats come out and charged to where we were set up with a few pick ups and 3 or 4 run offs and they started to drag the coast clean of any fish at all, as we saw them toss back 10 or 15 dead bass we said this has got to stop!!!
When we got in there way they were on the radio calling the CG and they instructed us keep clear, regardless of the dead Bass and by-catch
We have to keep pressure on our people that we elected into Trenton, so keep those e-mails and letters going to them.

DarkSkies
06-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Speedy called in this morning, the report:

4 bunker boats
1 was about 100' long.
1 was about 40-50'.
the 2 remaining boats were skiffs with the main boats.
There were also 2 spotter planes circling above to help spot the bunker so the netters could grab them up.

This was about 9am.

Thanks for the report, Speedy, reports and pics (if you can get them, or read the boat markings and ID) are all appreciated in this thread.

Although today it seems they were all legal, as has been mentioned some of these captains have threatened some of the Rec fishermen on the water.

We need to keep documenting this in case there is a blatant violation, for which we should push for prosecution.

Bear in mind that these boats all have their permits and are operating within the law. However, sooner or later they'll slip up.

Thanks for your diligence, guys and gals. :thumbsup:

speedy
06-16-2010, 09:30 PM
to add to this the b-boats where not 3-n miles from the rocks the four people i talked to later that day said

DarkSkies
06-17-2010, 08:27 AM
to add to this the b-boats where not 3-n miles from the rocks the four people i talked to later that day said

I hear ya bro, there are also some boats that are violating the restriction by not staying at least 0.6 miles from shore when throwing the net.

Here's some shots I took yesterday, 6-16-10, around 8:30 am. The boat in question was maneuvering back and forth off the Moco coastline. When I saw this boat, it was clearly closer than 0.6 mi.

I just want to emphasize that I didn't observe any behavior that violated the statutes, from this particular boat. I didn't see any netting going on while they were inside the statutory line.

Just the same, here's some pics. Others, feel free to post pics or any info you can relate about these boats.

Sooner or later, one of us will be hopefully be able to document some violation.

hookset
06-17-2010, 04:06 PM
yet another charter capt. with bunker boat issues

This morning I went out early with a friend of mine and at 7:00 5 Bunker boats come out and charged to where we were set up with a few pick ups and 3 or 4 run offs and they started to drag the coast clean of any fish at all, as we saw them toss back 10 or 15 dead bass we said this has got to stop!!!
When we got in there way they were on the radio calling the CG and they instructed us keep clear, regardless of the dead Bass and by-catch
We have to keep pressure on our people that we elected into Trenton, so keep those e-mails and letters going to them.

Absolutely disgusting!:beatin:

cardoc765
06-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Headed out the highlands today and right smack in the middle were 3 b boats just hanging out there waiting for god knows what.

cardoc765
06-21-2010, 10:51 AM
This is from another site. One of the local charter captains posted this. I am happy for him. Hope more guys keep their eyes open and take action.

While fishing off Sandy Hook today the bunker boats came in close to the beach illegally. The Coast Guard went out, the game wardens got involved.
Glad to see law enforcement really cares. Had one local bunker boat and New England boat devastating massive amounts of bunker close to the beach.
Stripers mixed in with them. I made the call and it looks like i will have to go to court to testify, so be it. I obey the law while running my charter boat, they must also follow the rules. They are making tons of money at the expense of New Jersey and they can't even do it legally. Will post some pictures later.
We had five charter boats taking pictures and trading some kind words. Once the Coast Guard came out all the bunker boats went back to Belford. Too bad!

DarkSkies
06-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Dark was right, it's only a matter of time before they eff up.

^^ Thanks for posting that Cardoc. Many of these captains are hard working, honest, and only looking to feed their families. Unfortunately, mixed in with that group are guys who will break any law they can slide past to put a few hundred $$ extra in their pockets at the end of the day.

There have to be people like the captain above out there, willing to call the Coast Guard, and follow through if it means them going to court.

Realistically, I ask anyone who reads this, how many people are willing to do that? :don't know why:

The answer:
Not many....

So many thanks to that Captain who posted that, Cardoc, and you for posting as well. We're not gonna gain any ground by letting others do the work here, or being complacent and expecting "Joe, Jon, Sal, or Bill" to do it for us.

Thanks to all out there who can see this clearly. :clapping::clapping: :thumbsup:

hookset
06-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Keep up the good work fellas. I saw 2 bunker boats out there this morning. If we don't watch over them they will take every last bunker.:2flip:

finchaser
06-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Bad part is it's all legal:( they have permits

fishinmission78
06-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Bad part is it's all legal:( they have permits

Yeah but even with the permits they're no better than pirates.:burn:

baitstealer
07-01-2010, 05:48 PM
I heard him on the radio today. They were out on a boat, mugged some guys on the LBI, and got some bass under the bunker close to the rocks where the guys were. When they caught a bass, they said the guys on the jetty were yelling at them, saying they didn't have a clue as to etiquette.

His friend, the boat owner, yelled back to the guys on the jetty, "well we must have a clue because we got a fish and you didn't!:moon:"

I don't really think that was fair. They got the striper because they came really close to the jetty where the other guys were fishing. They had the whole ocean, and they had to go and harass the guys on the jetty. What is wrong with people? I like Dennis, I listen to that show every day. I know he loves to fish, but now I have a different opinion of him. What do you guys think of boaters who come too close to the jetty fishermen?

bababooey
07-01-2010, 06:04 PM
I heard that too. Dennis is a funny guy, most of the time I agree with him and his politics. I would have had to see how close he came to the guys on that jetty. I wouldn't do that. If I ever get into a situation where I have a guy yelling at me, I give them the :don't know why: oops my bad shrug, and move further out. No sense in getting in fights on the water. I think he could have handled that better. It was mostly his frend doing the arguing though, Dennis was just relating the story.

DarkSkies
07-10-2010, 09:46 AM
This is just an update for guys who are waving their hands in the air with the new proposed bunker legislation (the VanDrew bill). It seems that some view that as great progress. :rolleyes:

While it's better than nothing, it's not really solving much. And as others mentioned, all it will do is prevent new players from getting a bunker permit next year. Those who have their permits from 2009 and earlier will still be able to come into NJ water and net unlimited amounts of bunker.

Business as usual, for the most part. The only difference will be a few new players frozen out. :don't know why:

NY has strict bunker regulations. According to my sources, there is no ocean bunker netting permitted in state waters by purse seine boats. All purse seine netting has to be done past the 3 mile limits in federal waters.

NJ boaters enjoyed world class striper fishing for the months of May and June, directly attributable to the abundant bunker.

As a result, people have been travelling to NJ from PA, midwestern states, and Canada this year, to get in on the phenomenal striped bass ocean bite. Ask yourself how much that's worth to our state in tourist dollars? :learn:

LI boaters off the Rockaways and western LI are now enjoying world class bass fishing. In some instances it's better than the fishing at Montauk, Block Island, and Cape Cod ocean hotspots.

The next time you see a pro-bunker commercial position in an internet conversation, where they argue they should be given parity....
ask yourself if they continue to have unlimited access to the bunker off the coast of NJ, how long our area will remain as a world class striper destination for vacationers? :don't know why: http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

It's all about the bunker....no bunker, and there's nothing to hold the big fish from moving north. Just ask H Bruce Franklin. :thumbsup:

fishinmission78
07-10-2010, 12:30 PM
It's all about the bunker

I hear you dark but I say it's all about the $$ the commercial lobbyists give to the politicos. jmo.

clamchucker
07-10-2010, 01:12 PM
One thing I have learned in my decades on this Earth is that a lot of wheeling and dealing goes on in the back rooms and gov't conference halls. It is less of a case of what is right, and more of a case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease. That is the reality we all face.

Monty
07-10-2010, 01:43 PM
One thing I have learned in my decades on this Earth is that a lot of wheeling and dealing goes on in the back rooms and gov't conference halls. It is less of a case of what is right, and more of a case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease. That is the reality we all face.
It may be the reality, but its so wrong and really makes me angry.:burn:

surferman
09-16-2010, 03:39 PM
:clapping:They finally passed it. I really don't see where it is going to make much of a difference, but maybe I'm wrong.

Menhaden Bill Becomes Law

Belmar, NJ 9/15/2010September 15, 2010 - Governor Chris Christie Takes Action on Legislation
Immediate Release

Belmar, NJ 9/15/2010
September 15, 2010 - Governor Chris Christie Takes Action on Legislation

A bill supported by the New Jersey Outdoor Alliance, that revises statute concerning licenses to take menhaden (A-2304/S-1140), was signed into law by Governor Christie yesterday.
“This law is a beginning in the effort to reduce the negative impact on the environment and recreational fishing,” said Anthony Mauro, Chairman, New Jersey Outdoor Alliance. He continued, “This bill had the unanimous support of the 22 member council of the NJOA Conservation Foundation. We look forward to monitoring the impact of the new law and, if necessary, pursuing remedial measures.”

The bill provides that the Commissioner of Environmental Protection may only issue a license for a person to take menhaden with purse or shirred nets if that person possessed a valid license for at least one of the years between 2002 through and including 2009, and commencing in 2011, the commissioner may only issue a license to a person to take menhaden who (1) possessed a valid license for at least one of the years between 2002 through and including 2009, and (2) possessed a valid license in the preceding year.
The bill also provides criteria for the replacement and retiring of vessels used to take menhaden with purse or shirred nets. Lastly, the bill provides that the Commissioner of Environmental Protection will regulate the taking of menhaden, including the issuance and transfer of licenses for the taking of menhaden.

surferman
09-16-2010, 03:45 PM
:burn: http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.gifhttp://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.gif :2flip: They are still at it, guys. There have been a lot of bunker off Cape May and the netters are there in full force. Guys are starting to report some bunker kills. The most recent one was about a few miles long and seen yesterday:
"When we were running out at daybreak from CM the bunker netters were out in full force. There were schools of bunker for 10 miles out. All the dead ones were just the aftermath from the days catch."

porgy75
09-16-2010, 04:04 PM
That sucks!

seamonkey
09-20-2010, 04:05 PM
^ Lunds took responsibility and said they would clean it up. Amazing. I don't see how they can blame oxygen levels though, it was in the ocean.

Broken net caused wash-up of dead fish on North Wildwood beach, officials say

Published: Monday, September 20, 2010, 1:42 PM Updated: Monday, September 20, 2010, 1:42 PM

NORTH WILDWOOD (http://www.nj.com/north-wildwood/) — State officials say a broken net on a fishing vessel caused the wash-up of thousands of dead fish on a North Wildwood beach.
The Fish and Wildlife Division says the boat reported it released an estimated 30,000 to 40,000 pounds of menhaden when its net broke.

Most of the fish washed up along Hereford Inlet in North Wildwood over the weekend. Some fish were reported scattered on North Wildwood beaches from the inlet south to 18th Street.
Menhaden are a small bait fish and member of the herring family.
Officials initially suspected low oxygen levels were to blame.

The vessel works out of Lund's Fisheries in Cape May. The division says Lund's has accepted responsibility and will remove the fish.

porgy75
09-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Question, if new york has stricter regulations than we do, why can't they make it the same for all the states. Wouldn't that make it easier to enforce the law if it was the same all along the coast? Or is this just a stupid question?

bababooey
09-04-2013, 08:20 PM
^^^^^ Porgy I don't pay a lot of attention to the different states but read a thread where they were arguing about the allocation. I think if you tried to make it more equal there would be some serious warring going on out there. I think it is heavily in favor of the southern states like Maryland and Va but not quite sure.

ledhead36
09-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Yup and even if it was even there would still be groups that cheat and find other ways to selll the extra like the belford pirates.

captnemo
09-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Question, if new york has stricter regulations than we do, why can't they make it the same for all the states. Wouldn't that make it easier to enforce the law if it was the same all along the coast? Or is this just a stupid question?

IMHO they need a more accurate assessment of who fishes for a living and who is just futzing around. I think the latest decisions hurt a lot of the little guys with not much impact on Omega.

surferman
02-18-2014, 11:48 AM
With the new bunker restrictions do you think there will be less out of state bunker boats in NJ this spring? From what I read they can't participate. So maybe they will go elsewhere and leave our bunker alone?

finchaser
02-18-2014, 05:01 PM
The buzz at the docks this week was the announcement from the state of the closure of commercial menhaden fishing and speculation about what that means for recreational fishermen.
“At first glance, many recreational anglers will cheer this as a good thing, but the reality of this is that small businesses will suffer,” said Bob Matthews of Fisherman’s Den in Belmar.
The N.J. Division of Fish and Wildlife closed the commercial pound net, otter trawl, gill net, and bait net fisheries effective 12 a.m. Thursday on the basis that 2014 quotas had been reached by Wednesday.
However, the principal harvesters of menhaden in New Jersey — the purse seine fishermen — are not shut down and will still be able to ply their trade this year.
For recreational fishermen, who were hoping that menhaden would not be subject to the usual commercial pressures this year, that is not the case.
There is still plenty of uncertainty about how the bait supply to charter and party boats and tackle shops will pan out.
Purse seine fishermen are allotted 95 percent of N.J.’s total allowable catch of 41.728 million pounds according to Bob Considine, spokesman for the N.J. Department of Environmental Protection.
In 2013, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission set the menhaden quota for three years, 2013-2015, so N.J.’s harvest allotment is the same as last year. That was the first ever quota on menhaden.
Rich Issaken, a commercial purse seiner at the Belford Seafood Cooperative, said his haul of menhaden gets divvied up between lobstermen, crabbers and the bait and tackle shops. But he said the quota isn’t that much.
“It’s nothing. Last year we were closed out by July 25. We usually fish into October. We lost three months,” he said.
Issaken also said the co-ops two pound netters that fish in the Sandy Hook and Raritan bays are done for the year. The loss of their supply of fresh menhaden to tackle shops may be felt by anglers in the wallet and their choice of fresh or frozen bait.
John Bogan at Brielle Bait and Tackle said last summer his price for a single fresh adult bunker was $2 and a bag of three frozen menhaden cost $4.99. He doesn’t see it getting any cheaper.
“They’re not going down, I can say that fairly confidently,” Bogan said about prices.
The good news is that cast netters will still be able to supply the shops with fresh bunker. They are one of the bait net categories not closed, according to Considine.
“If the angler has a menhaden landing license for cast nets, they can catch and sell their menhaden,” he said.
Recreational fishermen, charter and party boats are permitted to snag menhaden and use cast nets to catch menhaden

plugcrazy
02-04-2016, 10:15 AM
Fascinating read thanks for sharing.

DarkSkies
05-25-2016, 11:12 PM
Remembering the hard work that Finchaser and some of his old fart cronies put in in to have these boats moved from our shores.....

Back then they were basically fishing right beyond the third breaker...
With very lax regulations...

When I think of the hard work some of these folks put in, and see the general apathy out there today, I know that these achievements could never happen in today's times.

We all owe a debt of gratitude to people like finchaser and all of the other old farts. They fought tooth -and-nail, and did whatever was needed, to move these boats away from the surf line. :clapping: