PDA

View Full Version : Should the fish rest?

skinner
06-11-2010, 11:29 PM
I was looking for a How to video on the best way to fillet a flounder. This guy suggests that you let the fish rest on ice for 24 to 48 hours before you fillet them. Is this common practice? I usually fillet them as soon as I get home.

J0rOoAkpFw4

surfstix1963
06-12-2010, 06:22 AM
Put them on ice but not directly on it as soon as you catch them(burlap bag). I wouldn't wait 24-48 hours to fillet not to mention leaving the organs inside, if you need the fish that stiff to fillet maybe you shouldn't be using a knife or your using the wrong one.

finchaser
06-12-2010, 09:48 AM
IMO never for that amount of time really pushes the statement fresh fish,if they need to be held over 24 at least bleed and gut.
People that eat dog fish, if fish is not gutted as soon as they come out of water their urine goes into there meat and it smells like ammonia

jonthepain
06-12-2010, 10:15 AM
never heard that before.

like finchaser says, that's pushing it.

to me, fresh is same day.

bababooey
06-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Put them on ice but not directly on it as soon as you catch them(burlap bag). I wouldn't wait 24-48 hours to fillet not to mention leaving the organs inside, if you need the fish that stiff to fillet maybe you shouldn't be using a knife or your using the wrong one.

What he said.