PDA

View Full Version : Mugging rules page1

basshunter
12-10-2009, 10:58 PM
I know this thread has been beaten to death before but i just have to say that one of the most annoying things about fishing is the mugging when you are by yourself and someone just walks right up to you to start fishing. With miles of beach why do they think you are in the golden spot? Also spot burning why do people have to do it what do they get out of it.

just doesn't make any sense to me.:beatin:

fishincrazy
12-10-2009, 11:28 PM
I have to agree this issue has been beatin to death.I was fishing with a well know local angler this spring.This guy lives on the canal in point pleasant.The issue of spot burning came up.He told me he didn't care if anybody knew where he fished.It was his opinion that people chasing spots and not working and cultivating their own spots was a damn shame.He said when folks hear of his success at certain spots they crowd him for maybe a night or 2 but then they leave and he has it to himself again.I saw alot of this this fall in Brick,Man you'd have a good morning the word would get out then blamo everybody and their brother where out in force.I found it would die off pretty quick and then it would be back to normal.I'd see the same guy's out on my next go round.I always hate to read about specific spots,but after this fall and seeing the throngs come and go.I think I can live with it at least a little.

FC

basshunter
12-10-2009, 11:40 PM
The problem I have with mugging is that I do work my *** off scouting and searching. I go at low tide, high tide, bad and good weather. If I put in that much time doing my homework than no I am not interested in some lazy *** bum coming to mug me.

DarkSkies
12-11-2009, 07:10 AM
^

That's why ya won't see it here.

I have the same experience as you Basshunter. It's a free ocean out there, anyone can come up alongside you and fish next to you. We have no say in that. That's how it should be, as long as someone gives you a decent amount of space.

It can get crazy when because of an internet report, you have hordes of people converge on one specific red x when if they studied the area, they would realize that there might be 5 or more spots at that location that produce regularly.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763

Of course, that would require going to the area at low tide and seeing what the structure really looks like with your own eyes. Many people can't be bothered with that, that turns fishin into work for them. :rolleyes:

I like that kind of scouting, to me it's a challenge.

fishincrazy
12-11-2009, 09:40 AM
That's why ya won't see it here.

I have the same experience as you Basshunter. It's a free ocean out there, anyone can come up alongside you and fish next to you. We have no say in that. That's how it should be, as long as someone gives you a decent amount of space.

It can get crazy when because of an internet report, you have hordes of people converge on one specific red x when if they studied the area, they would realize that there might be 5 or more spots at that location that produce regularly.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763

Of course, that would require going to the area at low tide and seeing what the structure really looks like with your own eyes. Many people can't be bothered with that, that turns fishin into work for them. :rolleyes:

I like that kind of scouting, to me it's a challenge.

I agree with you here Dark!!!The work put in finding those wonderful bars/cuts and rips is alotta fun!!!It does really !!@!$$@#!!! when you on the bite and you get mugged!I've always been a big believer in you get what you pay for.The more you put into finding and learning specific spots the better you'll do.Your also right in the fact that any beach has multiple spots on a spot where you'll find fish!!! :thumbsup:

The problem I have with spot burning is that I do work my *** off scouting and searching. I go at low tide, high tide, bad and good weather. If I put in that much time doing my homework than no I am not interested in some lazy *** bum reading about some hot spot on the internet and coming to mug me.

The internet has really made it easy to follow the fish when their migrating,IT helps me alot.This however doesn't make me mug anyone.These people who think because yesterday they where at point A so we'll go there are nuts!!!I find the report chasers are the first ones to complain when the bite is off.Due to not working a beach just going to the spot they learn nothing!!!I agree with you here basshunter the age of communication has made ir difficult to hit that honey hole without having to deal with the crowds.:eek:

FC

plugcrazy
12-11-2009, 06:04 PM
If people want to read the web than come on out, that's fine. Of course by no means should they go mugging the ones who are their first. They should also better be willing to come up with info if they are asked from some of their friends. Too many expect info but are not willing to share.

gjb1969
12-11-2009, 06:39 PM
thats why if i dont go out with dark i just go fish and tell no one thays why i do what i do fish were a lot of people wont the more they turn there nose up at it the better for me and dark knows what i mean so the cell phone guy and mr mugger can have the little fish on one there but me so no spot burn:clapping:

finchaser
06-17-2010, 09:46 AM
If only this was true! WAIT, then again it was 90% true before the INTERNET and cell phones:burn:
by FIN

Rules BY NICK HONACHEFSKY of the fisherman

SURF D0NT’ S

No Mugging,
Please!
Follow a few sinijle rules and
courtesies and everyone will have
a beller surf fishing experience.

Mug (verb) — to hold up, knock off,
loot plunder, hijack swindle.

If you’ve fished the beach long enough, you know what “mugging” is. Loosely defined, it’s the direct, uncomfortable encroachment of the area you are fishing area by another angler, usually occurring after the said angler sees you hook up, or after said angler thinks there is enough room to fish the same exact spot as you.
However you look at it, you know what it feels like when it happens to you and it can lead to angry verbal exchanges, fistfights, and most importantly, missed fishing time, all of which destroy a fishing outing. So how do you know if you’ve been mugged? More to the point, how do you know if you’re mugging someone else? Here are a few quick guidelines to follow to keep you on the straight and narrow.

FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED
The Golden Rule: If you are the first one to get to a spot, then that spot is yours to fish. No other angler has the right to move in and try to claim the spot when you’re already there — no matter how many times they’ve fished it.
Getup earlier if you want to put claim on a spot.

DEADSTICKERS/BAITFISHERS
You arrive at a spot and come upon an angler whds at the beach ahead of you, and has two sandspiked clamming rods set up and fishing a particular hole. If you see this, move to either side of the deadsticked rods. Other anglers should not fish anywhere between the deadstick rods but should fish on the outermost sides of the rods. I live in Normandy Beach year-round and some mornings I walk up to my beach to what I consider “my hole” to start plugging, only to see a deadsticker there. I feel trespassed, but he was there first, and that makes it his hole to fish, plain and simple. I move on; which leads me to the 20/50-yard rule.

20/50-YARD RULE
If a deadsticker is set up in a hole, and I want to plug, it is not considered mugging to walk 20 yards in either direction from his outermost rods and start making casts.
However, if you are also deadsticking or baitfishing, it’s best to stay at least 50 yards away. Go down to the next hole to set up camp. When anglers are plugging or snagging bunker, a comfortable distance between anglers actively fishing is usually around 30 to 50 yards.

BUNKER SCHOOL PROTOCOL
When adult bunker schools come in close enough to snag from the suds, it can get competitive from the beach.
Always stay on the outskirts of the snagging crew. Say there are five guys all snagging bunker, but the school has begun to move south fast. You are on the tail end of the snagging crew. You don’t have the right to pick up and muscle your way in between anglers 2 and 3, or 3 and 4. What you should do is frog-hop the entire bunch of anglers and intercept the school ahead to start snagging again. However, that action only applies if the pack of anglers is fairly tight If the anglers are spread out, see the 20/50-yard rule above in respect to re-entering the snagging crew in the middle.

BOAT VS. SURF
The concrete rule: No boat has the right to fish so close to the surfcaster’s average casting distance without expecting repercussions. Surf fishermen should get first dibs on surf fish. If a boat fishes a bunker school or boiling bass closely enough to the shore to read the writing on a surfcaster’s hat, the boater must expect the possibility of being pelted by errant plugs, heavy metal jigs or weighted bunker snags. A surfcaster needs not give way to a boater.

BLITZ CONDITIONS
This one can get really hairy in the heat of the moment, so it’s best to keep it ultra-simple: Don’t”cut in.”
An angler walks up to the beach and sees bass and blues busting the surface all over. If the pack of anglers is tight, don’t walk down and begin casting between two anglers already spaced evenly apart. You’ll encroach on their already established personal space and screw up the whole dynamic. Walk to either end of the pack, anticipating the school’s movement, and begin casting. The school moves, then the other anglers pickup and frog-hop to the forward-progressing end of the line to begin casting again. It’s bad karma to “cut in” between anglers.

finchaser
06-17-2010, 09:51 AM
BEACH BUGGIES VS. WALK-ONS
Eighty percent of my surf fishing is done by walking on, 20 percent by beach buggy. Beach buggies have the decided advantage when it comes to chasing blitzes and scoping out spots. But this is how it goes: Most muggings occur as a conflict between beach buggy anglers and walk-ons.
Too many beach buggy anglers sit in the comfortable heat of the truck with binoculars without making casts. Once another angler — often a walk-on — has a bent rod, many times the buggy angler will run out of the truck and start casting 20 yards away.
Bad move; It’s not bad to want to fish where the fish seem to be, but buggy anglers shouldn’t do drive-by muggings. A nice gesture would be to ask the walk- on if he minds you casting there for a few. Common courtesy goes a long way.

PUT THE MUZZLE ON MUGGING!
When surf fishing, all that really matters is common sense and a little respect. We’ve got a lot of anglers in New Jersey and 128 miles of coastline to hit hard. Sure, there will be days where it’s a ghost town and you have the beach all to yourself, but there will be days when it will be jampacked. React accordingly.The saying goes, “Do unto others that which you would like done unto you:’ or something like that. If it feels like you are mugging somebody, chances are you are. Whether you’re a local who lives year-round in a beachside community, a part-timer who owns a house or rents to enjoy a few months out of the year, or a day-tripper who drives from inland towns to enjoy the beaches, we are all fishermen and all have the same rights, respects and responsibilities to share the beach eqially. Respect the angler. Don’t mug!

rip316
06-17-2010, 11:28 AM
I was fishing SH last week. I was reeling in an effin sea robbin. All alone I was on the entire beach. All of a sudden two guys approach me. One sets up, no lie 8' of my rod. The other guy does the ame to my left. I could not understand it. I am not a very confrontational person UNTIL provoked. The guy to my left crossed me two times. The second time he tells me maybe I should put more weight on because of the current. That mother effer heard me politely mutter to myself but loud enough some not so nice words. That was my worst muggin ever. Over a stinkin sea robbin.

jigfreak
06-17-2010, 12:33 PM
If only this was true! WAIT, then again it was 90% true before the INTERNET and cell phones:burn:

BLITZ CONDITIONS
This one can get really hairy in the heat of the moment, so it’s best to keep it ultra-simple: Don’t”cut in.”
An angler walks up to the beach and sees bass and blues busting the surface all over. If the pack of anglers is tight, don’t walk down and begin casting between two anglers already spaced evenly apart. You’ll encroach on their already established personal space and screw up the whole dynamic. Walk to either end of the pack, anticipating the school’s movement, and begin casting. The school moves, then the other anglers pickup and frog-hop to the forward-progressing end of the line to begin casting again. It’s bad karma to “cut in” between anglers.

That would be ok, if people actually had manners. Unfortunately I don't think you could pull it off fishing the jetties. Definitely agree with you on the pre-internet and cell phone thing, though.

bababooey
06-17-2010, 03:02 PM
BUNKER SCHOOL PROTOCOL
When adult bunker schools come in close enough to snag from the suds, it can get competitive from the beach.
Always stay on the outskirts of the snagging crew. Say there are five guys all snagging bunker, but the school has begun to move south fast. You are on the tail end of the snagging crew. You don’t have the right to pick up and muscle your way in between anglers 2 and 3, or 3 and 4. What you should do is frog-hop the entire bunch of anglers and intercept the school ahead to start snagging again. However, that action only applies if the pack of anglers is fairly tight If the anglers are spread out, see the 20/50-yard rule above in respect to re-entering the snagging crew in the middle.

BOAT VS. SURF
The concrete rule: No boat has the right to fish so close to the surfcaster’s average casting distance without expecting repercussions. Surf fishermen should get first dibs on surf fish. If a boat fishes a bunker school or boiling bass closely enough to the shore to read the writing on a surfcaster’s hat, the boater must expect the possibility of being pelted by errant plugs, heavy metal jigs or weighted bunker snags. A surfcaster needs not give way to a boater.

I feel your pain guys. Even though I'm not on the beach much, I can tell you how aggravating it is on the water, and you set out your chum slick. You start catching fish because of your chum, money, and time. Then some yahoo comes along and decides to set up next to you. If that isn't a mugging I don't know what is. I blame it all on bad parenting and parents being too lenient with the children. Johnny never got hit when he was growing up, so hence he feels a right to walk on the toes of others after he grows up.

gjb1969
06-17-2010, 04:58 PM
friggen a-holes they are all just stupid thats why i dont like to go out front much if i am with dark i will go there if i stay away i cant stand it with me u get three times after that its on the city tude will come out and i can get very nasty

strikezone31
06-17-2010, 06:18 PM
That was a thread well worth reading. Great suggestions. There are too many numb nuts out there who think they own the beach and give a rat's *** about anyone else.

jonthepain
06-17-2010, 06:25 PM
yet another reason i moved out of jerksky

DarkSkies
12-04-2011, 08:33 AM
I know some might think this is stupid, but after my foray into IBSP this week it's apparent some folks out there need instructions on this type of etiquette...

I'll lay more down when there is time, for now feel free to post opinions...

finchaser
12-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Keep advertising IBSP and it will get worse

jonthepain
12-04-2011, 01:39 PM
ha ha

sounds to me like somebody got a 5 oz Hatteras slung over their line

:HappyWave:

ledhead36
12-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Pebble Beach and Cliffwood get bad in the spring and you get mugged. When that happens I just move. I have a few tricks up my sleeve, and there is more than one way to skin a cat.

storminsteve
12-04-2011, 06:08 PM
As soon as I got a fish this morning, out on a bar, 3 guys came out to where I was. Its like they watch you like vultures or something.

surfstix1963
12-04-2011, 06:23 PM
I don't bother with crowds they can keep their fish I've got some of my own spots.

mick2360
12-04-2011, 06:35 PM
I was boat fishing a couple of weeks ago. A guy caught my line with his backcast, catches an attitude and says, Who's F****** braid is this? I said, "Mine, you caught it with that Babe Ruth backcast you've been throwing". Not a problem from then on.

A lot of this stuff is brought on by guys getting a little fish crazy. There is never an excuse for getting into a guys space....I see it happening more and more and sadly it is not always rookies doing the mugging.

Monty
12-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Pebble Beach and Cliffwood get bad in the spring and you get mugged. When that happens I just move. I have a few tricks up my sleeve, and there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I can't stand crowds, if it gets crowded I'm out of there too ledhead. Whats the deal with the cats:kooky:

surfwalker
12-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Crowds- I don't deal with them anymore, even at the expense of not catching. I move on now or don't go to these areas. I don't need to spend the day grinding my teeth and growling because of the selfish motives of others. I could go on but the crowds will increase more and more every year, especially if the bite is a lasting one. How much of these crowds only fish the runs, when you're supposed to catch? Do any of them search out the Bass on the off months? Keep the crowds, and I'll save whatever teeth I have left.

jigfreak
12-05-2011, 01:17 AM
I was boat fishing a couple of weeks ago. A guy caught my line with his backcast, catches an attitude and says, Who's F****** braid is this? I said, "Mine, you caught it with that Babe Ruth backcast you've been throwing". Not a problem from then on.

A lot of this stuff is brought on by guys getting a little fish crazy. There is never an excuse for getting into a guys space....I see it happening more and more and sadly it is not always rookies doing the mugging.

I do the exact opposite Mick, if a guy comes behind me and won't wade out to the bar with the rest of us, I get a little wild with my backcast and say "Careful, wouldn't want to hook you!" and they then give me some space. I know we have to share the space but what happened to the simple courtesies of excuse me or hey I'm over here.

dogfish
12-05-2011, 07:59 AM
We don't have such problems in Mass. We practice little things called manners and respect.:kooky:

clamchucker
12-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Well, dogfish, the lack of manners is appalling. When I first started fishing the surf there were a lot less folks fishing. So I suppose that could have something to do with it.

7deadlyplugs
12-05-2011, 02:26 PM
I agree clamchucker, it getsworse and worse every year.

mick2360
12-05-2011, 05:10 PM
I do the exact opposite Mick, if a guy comes behind me and won't wade out to the bar with the rest of us, I get a little wild with my backcast and say "Careful, wouldn't want to hook you!" and they then give me some space. I know we have to share the space but what happened to the simple courtesies of excuse me or hey I'm over here.

I like your technique. Sometimes the dimwitted and the outright rude need a wake up call!

ledhead36
12-05-2011, 07:25 PM
I can't stand crowds, if it gets crowded I'm out of there too ledhead. Whats the deal with the cats:kooky:

Just a meaning of expression monty. I don't skin them though I do know some hunters who say they would like to.:d Do you skin your cats when they are older or just put them in the cats old age home?:scared: :HappyWave:

Monty
12-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Just a meaning of expression monty. I don't skin them though I do know some hunters who say they would like to.:d Do you skin your cats when they are older or just put them in the cats old age home?:scared: :HappyWave:
No, that would be crazy. We have 4 that were stuffed and they are in a small room , 2 others were hit by cars, wife had them cremated and has them in some type of jars in that room. :d :HappyWave:

storminsteve
12-05-2011, 09:19 PM
No, that would be crazy. We have 4 that were stuffed and they are in a small room , 2 others were hit by cars, wife had them cremated and has them in some type of jars in that room. :d :HappyWave:

Stuffed cats? :scared:I heard you can bring them back to life if you wish hard enough.;) :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMja9C6Htts

ledhead36
12-08-2011, 03:16 PM

I think we need to see pics of your cat trophy room. Are you sure you weren't a hunter in another life?:laugh: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
07-16-2012, 10:42 PM
I think we need to see pics of your cat trophy room. :laugh: :HappyWave:

Well, Monty's not a hunter but he almost brought a mugger home the other day....
As he was driving home, he told me about this guy who was mugging him on the beach. Every time Monty got a fish the guy was there to see what he was doing and how he was doing it (Monty was the only guy on the beach that got fish that morning......)

Later on, we discover it was Al.....:laugh:

Good old Al....he may not be able to catch fish...but when someone else is....he's on it! :HappyWave:

Good job Monty, you're now famous.....I can see seminars in your future......:)

Al Ristori's report......
"I didn't catch anything in the surf this morning, but watched a surfcaster fight two snagged sting rays. Fortunately, he was using relatively heavy spinning tackle that enabled him to work the first ray that I'd estimate at 30 to 50 pounds and was snagged in the tail. He switched to a surface plug, and was working that hard when he hooked up with a sea robin that hit the fast-moving teaser on the surface. Then he went back to the original diamond jig, and amazingly snagged into another sting ray that he eventually cut off on the leader in the wash. "

Monty
07-17-2012, 07:13 AM
Well, Monty's not a hunter but he almost brought a mugger home the other day....
As he was driving home, he told me about this guy who was mugging him on the beach. Every time Monty got a fish the guy was there to see what he was doing and how he was doing it (Monty was the only guy on the beach that got fish that morning......)

Later on, we discover it was Al.....:laugh:

Good old Al....he may not be able to catch fish...but when someone else is....he's on it! :HappyWave:

Good job Monty, you're now famous.....I can see seminars in your future......:)

Al Ristori's report......
"I didn't catch anything in the surf this morning, but watched a surfcaster fight two snagged sting rays. Fortunately, he was using relatively heavy spinning tackle that enabled him to work the first ray that I'd estimate at 30 to 50 pounds and was snagged in the tail. He switched to a surface plug, and was working that hard when he hooked up with a sea robin that hit the fast-moving teaser on the surface. Then he went back to the original diamond jig, and amazingly snagged into another sting ray that he eventually cut off on the leader in the wash. "

Dark I have no idea how you found that (you are "in the zone") :HappyWave: . I thought that was so funny, talking about it with you and then you finding that. Like I was telling you after fishing the guy would mosey on over, see whats happening, hang out and make some casts close by then mosey on away. But was real nice, chit chatted a bit. While I was doing everything I could to get the first ray in we were joking and laughing a bit about it. Seemed like a nice guy. What a wacky small world, its always something crazy going on, every fishing outing (experience) is special :wheeeee:.
I read yours and Finchasers reports, real skill, getting bass when others have given up.
Here I am, catching fish that I am not targeting, almost clown like (herring, sea robins, rays), and then having Al write about it. Another example (like rule number 26), of how to be a Googan. :kooky:

Googan Rules
Rule #26: While catching ridicules (not targeted) fish in unorthodox ways have an outdoor writer mug you (in a nice, pleasant way) and then write about it.......

DarkSkies
07-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Googan Rules
Rule #26: While catching ridicules (not targeted) fish in unorthodox ways have an outdoor writer mug you (in a nice, pleasant way) and then write about it.......

With your permission I'm gonna copy your words here and post it in one of the Googan threads....:laugh:

If there was a trophy for ray-catching, I would present you with it....we could have an awards banquet for ya if ya wanted...Finchaser told me he would do all the cooking and we could have it at his place....:kooky:

Monty
07-17-2012, 10:13 AM
With your permission I'm gonna copy your words here and post it in one of the Googan threads....:laugh:

If there was a trophy for ray-catching, I would present you with it....we could have an awards banquet for ya if ya wanted...Finchaser told me he would do all the cooking and we could have it at his place....:kooky:
Sure post it, and I will bring the rays and see robins (freshly caught) for him to cook. Of course I would not be fishing for them, but that does not seem to matter.

CharlieTuna
07-17-2012, 07:04 PM
I am so glad we don'rt have that problem up here. Even on the Canal, when the fishing is good guys will give each other some respectful space. Must be something in the water in NJ.

Pebbles
07-17-2012, 07:09 PM
:clapping: Wow Monty, I can now put you on my list of famous people whom I know. You are in the company of Sean Connery, and John Travolta.
Can I have your autograph?:heart:

Monty
07-17-2012, 10:52 PM
:clapping: Wow Monty, I can now put you on my list of famous people whom I know. You are in the company of Sean Connery, and John Travolta.
Can I have your autograph?:heart:
:laugh:
You know Connery and Travolta?
I bet they never got mugged (in a polite way) by Al.
From now on its back to the spots no one else fishes, no more crowds, muggings, rays (well one) and those gosh darn autograph requests :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
06-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Seems like a good time to revisit this thread....thanks to Fin for starting it.....:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
07-11-2013, 08:36 PM
Nothing against people fishing on boats,,,,,I did it for years....

Was just having a conversation with a friend the other day, about how fish are concentrated in such few locations now in the NY Bight that if I had a boat there is a handful of places I would be fishing in the dark, every night, if I wanted success catching night bass......

Did many an offshore trip where I was the navigational guy and the clean-up guy in exchange for passage and a day of fishin.....

I realize there is a delicate balance between boaters and land fishermen....and honestly feel that if we all tried to understand each other a little better we could have less battles out there......:thumbsup:

DarkSkies
07-11-2013, 08:42 PM
As I said, I think if guys fishing from land and boaters could all be a little more considerate of people out there, it would make the world a better place.

There are simple common courtesies that people just seem to lack....
I remember being in a boat many times, and some clueless captain would just motor right through some fish we were working because he wanted to be in the front of the line....This would result in him putting the fish down, and we all lost out because of the selfishness and "Me-first" attitude.....

I have seen situations where either the boaters were at fault, or the land based fishermen were also at fault.....I don't think it's fair to blame one group over the other, without knowing the circumstances, who was there first, etc, etc....

DarkSkies
07-11-2013, 08:47 PM
This incident happened on the morning of June 23.....

A few of us were fishing in the beach in nomoco.
There was a large amount of blues slightly offshore, making their way in with the tide, pushing small bait inshore....

We were waiting for them to come closer,,,and casting like madmen.....
Some boaters were oblivious to the action and continued on without realizing the action they were passing up.......

This one Capt in particular, sped by on plane, and he was in close to the beach,. no more than 150' off.......

Then, in a flash, the guy to the left of me gets spooled in a matter of seconds......:whoo:
Down to the point where his reel was damaged as well.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17422&stc=1

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17423&stc=1

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17424&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17421&stc=1

He had a nice setup, Shimano Sustain Surf, with a 10'6" rod.......
He was out about 150' and this Capt's prop caught the line as the Capt drove by at high speed.....

DarkSkies
07-11-2013, 08:50 PM
The fisherman's name was Diego....still waiting to see if he called me, when my phone is fixed....

In the meantime I'm going to document what happened, and try to see if we can ID this boat,,,,,
possibly to get some public shaming of this Capt....and to let him know the damage he caused by acting so recklessly......

I know he had some issues with his prop, because he was dead in the water for 10 minutes as he tried to figure out how to get 300 yards of braid out from around his prop seals........

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17426&stc=1

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17428&stc=1

basshunter
07-11-2013, 09:23 PM
I can't stand the arrogance of someone who would do something like that. That guy prob couldn't buy a clue if he had a million dollars. Doesn't take much common sense to know when you are passing a group of fishermen some of them might have lines in the water.
If he was in inlet and spooled someone casting in the middle I would of looked at it differently and said it was the fishernens fault. The way you described it he was at fault. Hope he blew his seals. Please post pics so we can see who this ****wad is.

bababooey
07-11-2013, 10:26 PM
As I said, I think if guys fishing from land and boaters could all be a little more considerate of people out there, it would make the world a better place.

I remember being in a boat many times, and some clueless captain would just motor right through some fish we were working because he wanted to be in the front of the line....This would result in him putting the fish down, and we all lost out because of the selfishness and "Me-first" attitude.....

I have seen situations where either the boaters were at fault, or the land based fishermen were also at fault.....I don't think it's fair to blame one group over the other, without knowing the circumstances, who was there first, etc, etc....

Thanks for stating that. There are always 2 sides to every story.

robmedina
07-12-2013, 06:52 AM
In life I go way out of my way to make sure I, or my kids are cognizant of other people and it burns me when others are not. That is my sickness...I need help!

Monty
07-12-2013, 07:06 AM
Thanks for stating that. There are always 2 sides to every story.
Great post bababooey.
Here is my side.
My fishing has been screwed up by boat fisherman at least a thousand times.
I have never inconvenienced one boat fisherman.

Question: What do you call a good fishing boat?
Answer: Structure.

I have zero well wishes for any boat fisherman (unless kids are involved, always want kids to have a good time :) )

As for adult boat fisherman :2flip:

Sorry if off topic dark, I was just replying to bababooey's great post.

captnemo
07-12-2013, 10:27 AM
I am all for respecting no wake zones. If this is the open ocean it can get a little dicey and would be different. When surfers or fishermen are in the area one needs to be respectful. I have been in situations where I was doing nothing wrong and fishermen were yelling at me as I drifted by. Folks need to think about who was there first and who was inconviencing who. I try not to interfere with the guys on the shore whenever possible.

dogfish
07-12-2013, 01:01 PM
That's why ya gotta carry an extra sinker or 2. Boat comes by within 100' and isn't leaving and mugging us the sinkers get attached to the line and we cast as close as we can. after a few casts they get the message and move out some. Lots of times it is the city folk they don't know squat about etiquette. We call them yahoos or boat googs but many don't have experience or understand about courtesy. All you have to do to captain a boat today is have the bread to make the down payment. They should really expand the Capt training to include getting along with others on the water and trying to fit in with all the other groups without being a ****. Sorry to hear that happneed ds hope you can id the guy.

voyager35
07-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Dogfish I understand your frustration but I don't think anything was ever resolved by violence. I as well try to be respectful of shore guys but if anyone was tossing sinkers at my boat I would be on the horn to the coast guard or marine police.

Monty
07-12-2013, 02:41 PM
They should really expand the Capt training to include getting along with others on the water and trying to fit in with all the other groups without being a ****.

:clapping:

Getting along with others. How about showing respect for others as being part of a persons life.

seamonkey
07-15-2013, 03:10 PM
My fishing has been screwed up by boat fisherman at least a thousand times.
I have never inconvenienced one boat fisherman.

I am all for respecting no wake zones.. Folks need to think about who was there first and who was inconviencing who. I try not to interfere with the guys on the shore whenever possible.

What happened over the weekend in Absecon is a perfect example of this. Hope it is ok to post here dark. If not please delete. This came from another site where a guy almost swamped a man and his son who were fishing on the side of a channel where it was 330' across.Scumbags! Boats name was jabu and the reg # is nj H303 HA

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17264&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17265&stc=1

"Fishing behind absecon today we saw a few 40ft boats come within feet of our boat at full speed. We were actually hit with their trasom wash and one guy almost got flipped over.
The boat in this pic was called the JABU These guys should be thrown in jail for their total disregard for people's safety.
As you can see the strapper in the background laughing and me and my 6 year old boy"

seamonkey
08-15-2013, 11:01 AM
I blame it all on bad parenting and parents being too lenient with the children. Johnny never got hit when he was growing up, so hence he feels a right to walk on the toes of others after he grows up.

x2, agreed!

basshunter
08-22-2013, 03:07 PM

The me first attitude is one of the things that is wrong with our society today. jmho

cowherder
11-06-2014, 09:22 PM
I got mugged tonight and thought it would be fun to talk about the different types of mugging or strategies some of these jerks use.
"Squeeze play" - when you are fishing the usual 10 feet or more from someone else. 3 guys come up and one starts casting between you. You get distracted or go to unhook a fish. Then all of a sudden there are 2, and 5 minutes later there are 3. Obviously they cannot fit into that 10 foot space and squeeze you over as they muscle there way into the mix. What gets me is the guys tonight didn't even say anything they just came in and did it! If I knew the gent fishing to my left I might have said something. He saw them do it and just looked at me with upraised hands as if to say W.T.F!!!!:don't know why:

Does anyone have any more descriptions of muggers, or strategies to help deal with these A-holes? thanks

storminsteve
11-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Haha funny stuff squeeze play. Have definitely experienced that one out there.

madcaster
11-07-2014, 03:32 PM
I was at the hook one day there was a small picket line of guysand cocktail blues where out front of us .I was standing in about the middle. Iwasn’t fishing. There was no room for me, so I just stood there and watched. Thisold guy walks by me and starts throwing 5ft from the kid to the right of me ….theold guy was all excited and hooks into one …now the kid has nowhere to throw …heget pushed out by the old guy and the kid walked to the end of the line …whichwhere the blues …weren’t ….mean while everyone is busy trying to unhook fish …soI stepped in and made a few cast …by then the blues moved on
This old man was so excited to see busting fish ….he lostall his manors ....I think some time that's the issue

plugcrazy
11-07-2014, 04:31 PM
I.he lostall his manors ....I think some time that's the issue

I think that's the biggest part of it. What happened to manners and common courtesy?

7deadlyplugs
11-08-2014, 08:48 AM
^^^^^^ I think they stopped being important when the death and destruction video games started to get popular. Or else it's the upbringing. I remember when growing up my parents used to make me ask to be excused to leave the table. They also made me write thank you notes when someone sent me a gift or money. Do kids even do that anymore? Now they just do it via text.:kooky:
My most hated kind of mugger is when you are fishing the beaches at night and you are catching. Some doofus sees you land a fish and he drives up to you shining his lights right on you and the water. Then he says as you are unhooking the fish "Any luck?" I had this happen to me the other night near Demo and the guy had no clue. Then he gets out to set up and fish, with his truck running, because I had just landed one striper. I would never do that.

bababooey
11-08-2014, 03:42 PM
It happens on boats too. You are trying to work a bunker pod and the tool comes barreling right into the middle.:2flip: Or you go to anchor up on a small piece for blackfish and someone decides that piece is big enough for the both of you. Weekend warriors.

fishinmission78
11-09-2014, 11:41 AM
I got mugged tonight and thought it would be fun to talk about the different types of mugging or strategies some of these jerks use.

binoculars guy.
When there are fish working bait on the water and a few of us are lined up. There will always be a guy trying to get in the lineup with binocs. He'll say - "hey dude do u mind I'm just looking!"
then as soon as one of us hooks up he runs back to his truck to get his rod. starts wildly casting with no respect for others. that's when he gets his line cut.:)

J Barbosa
11-09-2014, 03:58 PM
The new term is "hand holders" because they fish so close together it looks like they are holding hands. Also, if there isn't a fish on every few casts they turn into "cell jerks" or "smoke jerks" because they are either smoking or browsing on their smart phones.

It use to be 10-15 ft of space between you and the next guy when fishing in a lineup situation. It's now less than 5ft because if someone walks on the beach and sees 10ft of space they squeeze their way in. It's practically un-fishable and no longer fun.

I was taught if someone is already on that jetty you move along. Open beaches...if you can see their rod it's to close unless you know them.

I was in RI earlier this year and a friend was telling me about how to fish this one popular spot. There is a waiting line, a casting rock, and a fighting rock. You make one cast, if you hookup you move to the fighting rock. If you don't get anything you move to the back of the line and the cycle keeps on repeating. Nobody ever fights and guys have 20+ fish nights with 20 other guys there.

surfrob
11-11-2014, 12:35 PM
just head down to Brigantine today, you'll find lots of space.

just sayin'

seamonkey
11-12-2014, 08:15 AM
^^^^^^^^ Surfrob that will only last till riptide posts a pic of a cow. Then they will all come a running here.

hookedonbass
11-18-2014, 12:28 PM
Yesterday I was fishing moco. Found some big blues in the rain. There were some young guns fishing at the beach I was at. One of them caught a striper about 30 inches. He immediately took out his cell phone and started taking pics of the fish and the beach we were at. He was also taking pics of the other surfcasters including me. When I asked me what the hell he was doing, he said:
"Oh dude no worries, these are for my facebook page!"
I said - hey you could have asked, maybe I don't want to be on a facebook page!
He said - no problemo, but if you want you could give me your facebook name and I will friend you.

What the hell is wrong with some of the young kids out there. I am young myself, not yet 30, but would never consider taking pics like that and immediately posting them on facebook. Now I know why when 200 guys show up for a blitz this is likely how it happens. :2flip:They are all cruising facebook every day for reports and run out when they see a pic.

By the way the dude said his name was Matt. I have his facebook ID if anyone wants it. Does anyone know this joker?

ledhead36
11-18-2014, 12:35 PM
Yesterday I was fishing moco. Found some big blues in the rain. There were some young guns fishing at the beach I was at. One of them caught a striper about 30 inches. He immediately took out his cell phone and started taking pics of the fish and the beach we were at. He was also taking pics of the other surfcasters including me. When I asked me what the hell he was doing, he said:
"Oh dude no worries, these are for my facebook page!"
I said - hey you could have asked, maybe I don't want to be on a facebook page!
He said - no problemo, but if you want you could give me your facebook name and I will friend you.

What the hell is wrong with some of the young kids out there. I am young myself, not yet 30, but would never consider taking pics like that and immediately posting them on facebook. Now I know why when 200 guys show up for a blitz this is likely how it happens. :2flip:They are all cruising facebook every day for reports and run out when they see a pic.

By the way the dude said his name was Matt. I have his facebook ID if anyone wants it. Does anyone know this joker?

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.pngsounds like a real a-hole. I don't know why fellas do that either.

jigfreak
11-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Now I know why when 200 guys show up for a blitz this is likely how it happens. :2flip:They are all cruising facebook every day for reports and run out when they see a pic.

You got it thats exactly how it happens.
Yeah i know that guy.
His name is Matt Doucherbaggins:laugh:

Blazin420
11-18-2014, 12:55 PM
Yup i no of the guy also...He is a piece of work...All about the"look at me im a facebook fishing hero"..Him and his crew...They are all the same that young "my S*** dont stink" "i no everything about everything" attitude!!! Hey i dont consider myself old at 35 and dont wanna sound like a "old"man but these guys are annoying!I dont think even when i was younger did i ever have that attitude..But thats the way most younger dudes are now...really comes down to having no respect for anything..I see it all the time not just in fishing..They have no etiquette at all..Love to muscle there little crew into spots and then go post it all over FB...I personally have grown a deep HATE for FB lol..I havent ever taken it seriously but now i just hate it.. Haha ok rant over for me...Just glad im not the only 1 thinking it

finchaser
11-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Face Book fishing hero's SU_K

SharkHart
11-19-2014, 09:06 AM
I know the guy and he isnt a bad guy at all, I had a discussion with him last fall about spot burning and he thought it was all BS he seems to have totally turned around on that
but what he doesnt realize or care is people watch him for activity, last i knew, last season anyway he didn't work, I have come across more then a few non working fisherman over the years who have mystery resources, and it puts you in a whole higher stratesphere for fishing success

VSdreams
11-20-2014, 06:00 AM
I know the guy and he isnt a bad guy at all, I had a discussion with him last fall about spot burning and he thought it was all BS he seems to have totally turned around on that
but what he doesnt realize or care is people watch him for activity, last i knew, last season anyway he didn't work, I have come across more then a few non working fisherman over the years who have mystery resources, and it puts you in a whole higher stratesphere for fishing success

Sharkhart I agree, but if the guy is still mugging people he hasnt learned anything. I think I ran into him and his crew in nomoco in June this year.

Yup i no of the guy also...He is a piece of work...All about the"look at me im a facebook fishing hero"..Him and his crew...They are all the same that young "my S*** dont stink" "i no everything about everything" attitude!!! Hey i dont consider myself old at 35 and dont wanna sound like a "old"man but these guys are annoying!I dont think even when i was younger did i ever have that attitude..But thats the way most younger dudes are now...really comes down to having no respect for anything..I see it all the time not just in fishing..They have no etiquette at all..Love to muscle there little crew into spots and then go post it all over FB...I personally have grown a deep HATE for FB lol..I havent ever taken it seriously but now i just hate it.. Haha ok rant over for me...Just glad im not the only 1 thinking it

^^^^Blazin I agree. When did fishing become so important that dudes will have to ruin it for others just so they get into the action? I don't know if this is the same guy but it sounds like it!

In June there was a week of big fish on the beach in nomoco. I took off work for 2 days and didn't get one fish despite running all over. The thing that was frustrating was these fish would come in for 15 minutes at a time and if you could cast a mile you might have a chance of getting one. On average I would say if 30 guys were fishing there might be one or two stripers caught. One of those days there were a lot of guys crowded on the beach casting. There was not a lot of room. This guy and his two friends came up between me and another guy. There was only about 8 feet between me and the other guy and one of them jumped in the line and started casting. Then when the guy next to me caught a nice 25 pounder and moved back to unhook his fish the other 2 jumped in. They did not even acknowledge him or me they just jumped in, mugged us and started casting. Of course they didn't catch fish the guy next to me caught one of only 4 fish that afternoon.

What gets to me is they had no manners. The guy they mugged got mad and left. I should have said something but didn't. As they were talking to each other (they would not talk to us) one of the guys called the other guy Matt. Don't know if it was the Matt you are all talking about but the way blazin420 described it it might have been? As they left the one named Matt got into a black car. Next time I WILL say something because it was so rude and elitist!

This is part of the problem out there the rudeness. I think if we all start saying something to these muggers it might make a difference.

surfrob
11-24-2014, 03:10 PM
.. Hey i dont consider myself old at 35 ...

blaze is now an old FART ... ROTFLOL!!!! :D

hey, I adopted a "don't ask, don't tell" policy and down where I am, my biggest fear is that someone will report in to a local bait shop
before I hit the beach.... I hate showing up to 200 of my best, unknown friends when a baitshop posts about the 1 or 2 stripers caught
in the county this fall from the surf... but I digress.....DOH!

surfrob
11-24-2014, 03:12 PM
^^^^^^^^ Surfrob that will only last till riptide posts a pic of a cow. Then they will all come a running here.
yup, Andy can keep a secret if asked but too many just run and tell without conditions

DarkSkies
05-23-2015, 02:05 PM
It's that time of year folks...if you are out .....this weekend is the beginning of a time period when those who don't fish all year will come out for a weekend and go all out.....a friend got his cell phone wet the other night with some inconsiderate behavior by others....

Be careful out there...

seamonkey
05-23-2015, 02:22 PM
mugging rules 101- If it is crowded remember we all must share the water! Can't get that through your thick head please stay home!

surfrob
11-07-2015, 06:54 AM
I remember being in the surf flyfishing, by myself, catching a bit... all of a sudden, and I mean "one minute lonely, one minute mugged" I was surrounded by the crowd. Obviously "they" didn't know what a flyline does. Totally nuts. Gave up and left since I didn't want to hook anyone. I gave up following the crowds long time ago, might have decreased my catch rate but surely improved my quality of life. The boats on the beach drive me insane as well, understandable at times, but still not cool if you were standing there first.

seamonkey
11-07-2015, 08:37 AM
:clapping::clapping: To you man for not following the crowds! It gets very frustrating. The reports talk about fish they got yesterday. Have never seen bunker around for more than one day unless in the back bay. I can't believe they would mug a fly fisherman too! Aren't they afraid of getting hit by a back cast? smh

lostatsea
05-24-2016, 12:18 PM
the infamous Johnny bucktails in the news again.

This was posted yesterday on another fishing site.
Yesterday, 05:49 PM

5/23 Bass

Mated for my buddy on his 31 contender cuddy. Loaded the wells in one throw and to where we've been fishing. Started off slow but one we got them going we chunked 6 bass, missing a bunch that didn't commit and a few blues.

Now a bit of short venting....not going to mention ANY names, but I'm sure if you guys could guess one genius on the water who's been in social media lately....

Well if anyone is familiar with the 31 contebder cuddy, I was on the bow pulling up the anchor and along comes bright light flying 50yards off our bow throwing a huge wake at us. Once again I'm on the bow with no railing with an anchor setup in my hands. Unbelievable but just straight idiocracy. Needless to say he got an earful from my buddy the captain.

cowherder
05-24-2016, 12:23 PM
the infamous Johnny bucktails in the news again.

This was posted yesterday on another fishing site.
Yesterday, 05:49 PM

5/23 Bass

Mated for my buddy on his 31 contender cuddy. Loaded the wells in one throw and to where we've been fishing. Started off slow but one we got them going we chunked 6 bass, missing a bunch that didn't commit and a few blues.

Now a bit of short venting....not going to mention ANY names, but I'm sure if you guys could guess one genius on the water who's been in social media lately....

Well if anyone is familiar with the 31 contebder cuddy, I was on the bow pulling up the anchor and along comes bright light flying 50yards off our bow throwing a huge wake at us. Once again I'm on the bow with no railing with an anchor setup in my hands. Unbelievable but just straight idiocracy. Needless to say he got an earful from my buddy the captain.
Doesn't surprise me.

J Barbosa
05-24-2016, 01:02 PM
We were leaving the Leonardo weigh in station from a fluke tourney last year in nasty weather and here comes a 37' Sea Hunter running at 60mph+ when the weigh in's didn't close for another 15-20 minutes. The biggest wake I have ever experienced in my boat in what is a very narrow channel.

16 year olds shouldn't be driving 15,000lb boats

basshunter
05-25-2016, 05:48 AM
I don't understand why people do that in modern times.

With the internet everything is instant and you would think he would realize people would remember his boat. Just because Daddy bought your boat doesn't mean you can go around messing with everyone else. What a loser.

hookset
05-25-2016, 01:14 PM
I thought this trainwreck couldn't get any worse, but it just keeps getting better and better. SMH at the stupidity.

surferman
09-02-2016, 01:19 PM
Another clash between boaters and shore guys. Very sad.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwj0uYPmmPHOAhUFlx4KHThBCEkQFggbMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Freddit.ddns.net%2Fnews%2Fsargent-thuggery-causes-sebastian-north-jetty-to-close-at-night&usg=AFQjCNFaD98nSSjijBQZ4tnHKUEMxLxFuQ

lostatsea
05-31-2017, 12:57 PM
We were leaving the Leonardo weigh in station from a fluke tourney last year in nasty weather and here comes a 37' Sea Hunter running at 60mph+ when the weigh in's didn't close for another 15-20 minutes. The biggest wake I have ever experienced in my boat in what is a very narrow channel.

16 year olds shouldn't be driving 15,000lb boats

Heard he likes to mug kayakers also.

cowherder
05-31-2017, 05:01 PM
muggers come in all shapes and sizes. What gets me the most is they dont even acknowledge you when they roll up next to you and start casting away!:beatin: