PDA

View Full Version : Why I Moved to NC

jonthepain
06-19-2010, 09:47 AM
There has been some discussion lately about how unfriendly NJ is becoming towards beach and kayak fisherman. I mentioned that as one reason why I moved from NJ to NC. So naturally, some members here have asked me why I picked North Carolina of all places.

Well, I think this recent news report pretty much sums it up:

ctXn4P3B7OM

"He had beautiful hair"

DarkSkies
06-19-2010, 10:09 AM
That guy Tim Peeler should be a regular guest on a reality TV show. Central casting dreams about finding people like that.

"He was 10 ft tall, had beautiful hair..
I tried to run him off, had to rough talk him..." :) :clapping:

You guys had the best offshore and inshore fishing too, until recent shut downs. :(
That's a shame, as I was just getting ready to move down there. ;) :HappyWave:

jonthepain
06-19-2010, 10:20 AM
I was just getting ready to move down there.

our loss
:(

DarkSkies
06-19-2010, 10:23 AM
I don't think ya would be happy having me for a neighbor, Jon. First thing I would do would be to stock up on coffee. After a year or so, there would be less coffee on the shelves in the stores, and y'all would have to pay more for your daily cup. ;) :HappyWave:

gjb1969
06-19-2010, 01:58 PM
u can keep nc i just go visit my family and then i go home i go nuts after a few days to many bugs and people who just p### me off if i have to deal with bs i can stay home so thats what i do

albiealert
06-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Ha, funny clip!
What are the property taxes like down there? I'm paying 15k/yr. Every year it goes up, and the services seem worse.

jonthepain
06-22-2010, 05:08 PM
I was paying 10k a year in Bridgewater, 11 years ago, on a 3 br on .75 acres.

Bought a 3 br home with close to 3k sq ft under roof, on over 3 acres for $126k, a half hour from Raleigh, 20 min from Cary, Apex, RTP, RDU. Was paying $800/year prop tax when we first moved here. it's gone up to $1200 a year since then. lol.

also went from paying $6k a year in auto insurance to $700 yr.
that's gone up (mostly my fault plus teen driver) to around $2k.

DarkSkies
06-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Bought a 3 br home with close to 3k sq ft under roof, on over 3 acres for $126k, a half hour from Raleigh, 20 min from Cary, Apex, RTP, RDU. Was paying $800/year prop tax when we first moved here. it's gone up to $1200 a year since then. lol.

Amazingly low figures, I bet you pat yourself on the back for making that choice to move there. :thumbsup:
Once people eliminate the sky-high property taxes, they open themselves to all sorts of other financial options to invest in (IRAs, new businesses, etc)

Some people around here pay $900/month or more in property taxes, and we're talking about average houses.:scared:

porgy75
06-23-2010, 03:56 PM

Your auto insurance went down about 90% to begin with, can those figures be accurate?
Even with some negative reports you are still paying 66% less than in NJ. That's a great bargain. I wonder how the companies down there can afford to make a profit at those reduced rates while the companies in NJ were complaining they were losing money. Something is definitely wrong with our NJ auto insurance system then.

jonthepain
06-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Your auto insurance went down about 90% to begin with, can those figures be accurate?

yes. when they first quoted that to me, i thought they meant seven hundred bucks a month. i said i thought it sounded a little high. he said, well that comes out to such and such a month, you can pay monthly if you want, - i just about fell over. i gave him a check for the first year as fast as i could write it in case he had screwed up somehow. lol

i found out the hard way tho that they do not have no-fault here. i was used to nj so when i had an accident i told the cop "yeah maybe it was my fault, so what?" so i got binged for the whole deal. i don't even think it was my fault, but i was so used to no-fault insurance that i just blurted that out like anybody really cares who's fault it is anyway. ha ha boy did i learn.

maybe that's one reason why nj ins is so high. plus about a billion people all packed into 3 sq feet of space. especially compared to down here.

btw salaries are a lot lower here...

skinner
06-24-2010, 10:52 AM
maybe that's one reason why nj ins is so high. plus about a billion people all packed into 3 sq feet of space. especially compared to down here.

btw salaries are a lot lower here...

A billion people, and 10% of that number is lawyers waiting to sue for the slightest hurt or the smallest auto accident. It sounds like you have a pretty decent life down there.