PDA

View Full Version : Disasters: 21st century, and their effect on the FISHING environment

DarkSkies
06-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Which do you think were the worst?

Some come to mind...

Union Carbide deadly gas explosion
Russian nuclear accident
Poisons in the main Chinese rivers

Exxon Valdez

The Katrina Hurricane2005

DarkSkies
06-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Thought I would put up some pics and links...

I'm really looking for a disaster that you feel affects the FISHING environment, and your take on how much we were/will be affected by it.

Katrina - fascinated me because it took thousands of square miles of shore and turned them into mud flats.

Here's some examples of the destruction, the guy has a VR site, pretty cool. :wow:

http://bigeyeinthesky.com/Default.asp?CID=Katrina

williehookem
06-21-2010, 05:45 PM
The Gulf oil spill
California earthquake

Monty
06-21-2010, 08:57 PM
All devastating.
All man made, displaying our short falls, which I truly think are expanding at an incredible rate.

I like using Katrina as an example of how this country is run by self loathing, single minded politicians. In how they truly did not care about the suffering of the US citizens.
So now we have the other party in charge.
Not caring about the wildlife. Not caring about the loss of jobs, the devastation and suffering it will cause to all forms of life.

The US may be the greatest country in the world, but I do not think that this is what Lincoln had in mind when he said "that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth". Its on hiatus I guess.

captnemo
06-22-2010, 11:31 AM
The US may be the greatest country in the world, but I do not think that this is what Lincoln had in mind when he said "that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth". Its on hiatus I guess.

The older I get the more apparent it becomes that the gov't is run by a group of elitists. They will try to hide any defects they can until the mistake becomes too great to ignore. Then, they try to find a scapegoat to blame it on. I am sick of this type of government. In the BP gulf case, I believe the engineers who were in charge, along with the chairman, should be fired. Fishing will be affected down there for years.

Monty
06-23-2010, 12:03 AM
They will try to hide any defects they can until the mistake becomes too great to ignore. Then, they try to find a scapegoat to blame it on. I am sick of this type of government.

I agree 100% and am also sick of it.

DarkSkies
08-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Sent in by Surfstix, thanks!

baitstealer
08-07-2010, 01:52 PM
The Tsunami.