PDA

View Full Version : No nonsense fluke leader

surfstix1963
06-27-2010, 10:42 AM
This is how my grandfather showed me the fast tide slow tide no non sense fluke leader(it was easy for kids to tie and not bother him so he could fish) it is as basic as possible one peice of leader material( I use fluorocarbon I'm not sure if they had it back then but he didn't use it and he caught fish) two overhand loops and a swivel.Basically you take your leader and run it through the swivel leaving the tag end sticking out about 6-8" long enough to form a loop for a sinker tie the swivel in there the longer end which is hanging down from the other side gets another loop(i'm going to put pics in)it will be easier to see what I mean any how the use of the loops is to switch back and forth for sinkers or the baited hooks/teasers according to the tide or the short bite fluke tend to have sometimes i like a longer leader when the drift is fast and put the teaser on the bottom loop sinker on top and vice versa when the tide is slowing.It was probably easier to just put the pics in but hey I need to annoy someone:dYou can also add a couple of split shots to the teaser/hook end if it does become fouled to keep it away from the other side of the leader.

nitestrikes
06-27-2010, 03:25 PM
the use of the loops is to switch back and forth for sinkers or the baited hooks/teasers according to the tide or the short bite fluke tend to have sometimes i like a longer leader when the drift is fast and put the teaser on the bottom loop sinker on top and vice versa when the tide is slowing.

Interesting way of doing things, thanks for sharing.

surfstix1963
06-27-2010, 04:44 PM
My grandfather liked simplicity no beads,spinner blades and most often a sinker loop on the bottom of his 3 ft. leader and 8-12" above that a leadered hook thats it no droppers just an overhand knot(loop to loop connection).I use the dbl. loop leader sometimes for surf fishing w/ a teaser I use snaps instead of loops so I can change the plug and teaser combo w/o tying or dealing w/ the loops(quick change)I guess you could do the same for fluke but the less hardware the better.