PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth County: Where are the jetty crabs?

DarkSkies
06-27-2010, 02:25 PM
So I was out fishin the other night, Fishing, and poking around, people know scouting and nosing around at night is my thing. ;)

Last year, there were hundreds, sometimes thousands of crabs on each rockpile I visited.

I know a lot of folks are now fishing with crabs, I get daily reports from my crabologist friends. :dribble:

Even if the % of people fishing crabs doubled, it wouldn't account for the lack of crabs I found.

I know they move with the tide, I know where to look for them. I know behavior is sometimes different with the full and new moons.

Honestly, most of the crabs I was seeing last year, peering on the bottom sides of the rocks, were the Japanese shore crabs. Not the mitten ones, but the japanese shore crabs, an invasive species that allegedly comes in on the container ships, and has spead like wildfire.

More on crabs in these threads:

Crabology101: (japanese shore crabs post #3)
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=4445&highlight=crabs

Mitten crabs:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=4723&highlight=crabs

DarkSkies
06-27-2010, 02:34 PM
As mentioned, the rocks last year were filled with crabs. The Japanese shore crabs were thought to be a hardy species, hence the dominance over other crabs, the calicos, etc.

I know they're shedding with the full moon. They can't all shed at the same time, or disappear all at once.

When I get a chance, I'll contact the Marine Center at Brigantine, and the Rutgers Marine resources division.

In the meantime, to the first person that can offer a detailed, scientific explanation (other that what they communicate to me or is listed below), that explains this aberration, I'll send ya a free plug. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help, guys and girls. :cool:

Some of the potential explanations I've already heard:

1. It was an extremely bad winter, with some severe storms. The ferocity of some pushed sand up on the jetties, making the environment different than in the past. This pushed them all into the sand around the jetties, not on top.
To me this seems like the most reasonable one so far, and one I'm most inclined to accept. I'd like to hear from a few others before I accept this.

2. The temps around the jetties are hotter this year, pushing them to stay in the water.
Maybe, maybe not.

I did take some pics which may help explain some things. Will try to post them up when I get a chance.

rip316
06-27-2010, 03:59 PM
People use them for bait to catch tog from the jetties for when they are out of season. hahahahahahaha.

wish4fish
06-28-2010, 02:55 PM
i know a ho who lives near bayville, she got lots of them lol:upck:

DarkSkies
07-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Some pics...

Finally got a chance to post them up. As I explained, the bases of these jetties were covered with crabs at this time last year. About 70% were Japanese shore crabs, said to be a hardy bunch.
The rest were calicos and a few other types.

I know the calicos are still there in the sand, friends are raking them and catching the occasional big bass.

What happened to the rest of them, the overflow that grouped up on the rocks? All thoughts appreciated.

Above are the small juvenile mussels clinging to the top sides of the rocks. The little crabs climb over these at night to find food. The only ones I found were dead crabs.

DarkSkies
07-29-2010, 01:18 PM
This shows the side of the rocks, from the top mussel colonies to the lower half, which seems devoid of life.

These show the depth of the vertical structure. You can see the barren base parts of the rocks. It looks like the winter cold and storms had scrubbed these bottom areas of all life. Last year at this time there would be hundreds of crabs, assorted sizes, on each rocky area.

Here you can see a dead crab (calico) stuck to the mussel colony.

This is the only live crab I found that night, a Japanese shore crab. The lone survivor from the jetties? :don't know why:

hookset
06-22-2015, 01:12 PM
They're all dead now.

surfrob
06-22-2015, 01:26 PM
I only have a junk theory and would be interested in hearing from state biologists.

Two words: beach replenishment.

finchaser
06-22-2015, 03:03 PM
Beach replenishment yes I have seen video's and DVD on the destruction to marine life but the Army Corp of morons say no

fishinmission78
06-25-2015, 04:02 PM
I only have a junk theory and would be interested in hearing from state biologists.

Two words: beach replenishment.

Beach replenishment yes I have seen video's and DVD on the destruction to marine life but the Army Corp of morons say no

I definitely agree with you guys beach replenisment has ruined a lot of prime area. One thing I wanted to bring up is island beach. We have not had any replenishment and did not get the mondo blitzes in may and june that we always get. There are a lot of bunker around and the blues have stayed for a long time. But the bass have been absent. Doesn't make sense unless you consider that most of the bass have been caught and are just not there.

fishinmission78
06-25-2015, 04:04 PM
They're all dead now.

I agree. 10 years ago the may and june striped bass fishing from the surf was outstanding. The fish just didn't go on vacation. Half of them are dead.