PDA

View Full Version : Fatal Boat Death leads to arrest

Pebbles
07-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Boat operator is arrested in connection with fatal boat crash near Statue of Liberty

Published: Saturday, July 03, 2010, 12:25 AM Updated: Saturday, July 03, 2010, 7:57 AM

James Queally/The Star-Ledger

http://media.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impact/photo/boat-blood-towedjpg-47af967e2d90db35_large.jpgMyFoxNy.comA MyFoxNy.com video shows a damaged and blood-stained boat being led toward Liberty State Park following the collision.

Jersey City - Thee holiday weekend got off to a tragic start on the waters around New York and New Jersey, with two separate boat collisions occurring last night -- one resulting in a fatality.
The most serious accident took place in New York Harbor, in the shadow of the Statue of Liberty, at about 6:20 p.m., when two pleasure boats collided, killing one person and injuring two. A police spokesman said one boat operator was arrested and alcohol may have been a factor in the crash.

A second boat crash occurred in Ocean County just before 8 p.m., when a boat collided with a kayak in Gunner’s Ditch in Brick Township, just north of the Mantoloking Bridge, authorities said. The crash knocked the driver of the kayak out of his vessel and into the water, according to State Police spokesman Brian Polite, but the boat’s operator managed to pull the man to safety.
The victim from the kayak was treated for minor back injuries in Brick Township Memorial Hospital and released before 10 p.m., Polite said.

In the New York Harbor accident, eight people, including three children, were aboard the vessels when the deadly crash occurred near Liberty Island, said Detective Brian Sessa, a New York City Police Department spokesman. One victim, identified only as a 30-year-old male, died, authorities said.

Two other men in their 30s suffered minor injuries and were rescued by NYPD marine units and taken to waiting emergency crews at the Liberty Landing marina in Jersey City, U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer Thomas McKenzie said.

All three victims were taken to Jersey City Medical Center following the crash, and the two survivors were listed in stable condition.
Coast Guard officials were alerted by a "Good Samaritan" who was boating in the area at the time of the collision, said McKenzie.
Police said a 30-foot Pro-Line fishing vessel operated by a 39-year-old man crashed into the side of a 17-foot Bayliner speedboat occupied by the three victims. The operator of the fishing vessel was arrested last night, according to an NYPD spokesman, who said "charges are pending and likely alcohol-related."

Police said three adult males were aboard one boat, while the second boat was occupied by two adults and three children. The children appeared to have escaped without injury.

A helicopter pilot for Fox 5-TV news in New York, who was flying over New York Harbor, reported seeing three injured boaters, two of whom had blood on their clothes as they walked on their own from a rescue boat to an ambulance.

Video footage from the helicopter showed one of the damaged boats being towed to shore by an emergency vessel.
Officials from the U.S. Coast Guard, NYPD and the U.S. Park Police are investigating the crash.

McKenzie said the Fourth of July weekend often triggers a spike in boat traffic in New York Harbor, and he advised boating enthusiasts who venture into the water to take extra precautions.
"We’d like to remind boaters to boat safely, use common sense and wear a life jacket," McKenzie said.

New Jersey is no stranger to serious boating accidents. In May 2009, a 24-year-old Bergen County man was killed and four of his friends injured when their 15-foot skiff slammed into the side of a 25-foot Boston Whaler near the mouth of the Manasquan Inlet between Point Pleasant Beach and Brielle.

The boaters were riding on relatively tranquil seas last night. Winds were between 6 and 8 knots in New York Harbor, according to the National Weather Service, and sea swells were at 1 foot or less. Officials said those conditions are normal for this time of year.
Star-Ledger staff writerMegan DeMarco contributed to this report.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/07/two_boats_collide_near_statue.html

speedy
07-03-2010, 08:39 AM
see people just dont get it :burn: they are out to have a good time ok but leave to alk. at home . not saying all boaters but to take some ones life because your being an *** hole and drinking
:beatin::beatin::beatin::beatin::beatin::beatin::b eatin::beatin::beatin:

you dont have to drink to have a good time

rip316
07-03-2010, 09:06 AM
I was in the area of Gunners Ditch yesterday but, we were back at the marina by 3 so It had not happened yet. Two years ago the same area is where a drunk guy ran into a small boat with a few people in it and the husband was killed instantly. Ashame that this has to happen to people that are just out to have a good time and some drunk has to take someone's life. Should go to jail forever.

DarkSkies
07-03-2010, 09:27 AM
I remember that story from a few years ago, Rip, tragic. :(
This one too, alcohol and piloting a boat don't mix. The margin for error is a little more forgiving then driving a car, but it's a deadly mix just the same.

It's one thing to have a beer or 2 back at the dock after a day on the water, but if you're the captain you're responsible for the lives of others. It's no joke if you had to come home from a trip and tell someone that someone out on your boat or another one died because of your negligence.

There are so many cases where I feel the offenders should have gone to jail. The Flowers case, Barry Flowers and his yacht from Livingston crashed into a bunch of old time fishin buddies off of Ocean County, killing one. The other case you're talking about where the husband got killed...in that one I think the kid was drinking as well, and tried to hide the boat. The guy he hit is now absent from his wife and childrens' lives forever.

We have too many laws in NJ to begin with, but I wouldn't be opposed to having harsh criminal penalties for someone convicted of causing injuries or death while BWI. Every year around the holidays it's another tragedy. Sad.

gjb1969
07-03-2010, 10:23 AM
if u are in that place u see things like that all the time some people just do what they want when i fish there i just think they must be nuts just so many of them drive there boats the same its a shame

clamchucker
07-03-2010, 01:04 PM
There are so many cases where I feel the offenders should have gone to jail. The Flowers case, Barry Flowers and his yacht from Livingston crashed into a bunch of old time fishin buddies off of Ocean County, killing one.

That was a travesty. He got away with murder on that one.
Be careful out there this weekend folks. This morning I saw such an abundance of boats you would not think we are having a recession.