PDA

View Full Version : NJ and NY Bight sturgeon sightings

DarkSkies
07-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Now is the time of year you'll start hearing more reports. They have been sighted since the early spring as well.

I started this thread because Rip-Plugger and Jimmy Z sent me pics, and I thought it would be a great opener for a fish that a lot don't know much about.

They date back to pre-historic times, and are targeted as a catch and release gamefish in some of the large Western rivers near the tailraces of the big dams.

They say once you hook a big one, it can become an obsession. :drool:

So if you hear of any sturgeon reports in this NJ/Y area, or have any info about them to add to this thread, feel free. :thumbsup:

Ever catch one or see them jump out of the water? Post up about it.

They are a protected species here, so if you caught one by accident you should snap a quick pic and get it back in the water quickly. There are those who are such sticklers to the law they say you can't even touch them. I understand that point of view, I'm all for protecting species that need to be protected. Yet suppose a father and son are out fishing, and they get one by accident. I see nothing wrong with snapping a pic as you'e in the process of releasing that fish.

Here's a pic to start ya's off, realize that there isn't much of a chance of one that large being in our waters...

but ya never know....:eek:

basshunter
07-11-2010, 10:07 AM
I saw one about 2 months ago. We were in raritan bay, chunking for bass. One jumped out of the water about 10' from the boat, this was at 6am, just as the sun was coming up. Scared the crap out of me.