PDA

View Full Version : What make....

surfwalker
07-23-2010, 07:52 AM
...car/truck/bike have you owned since you got your drivers license.

Which one was the most fun to drive or has that one story that you remember from it.

Or, what's the one you wish you still had today, or maybe you do.

DarkSkies
07-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Good topic Surfwalker, how ya been! :HappyWave:

1. Fords, Chevy, Dodges, man did I beat up on a lot of vehicles. Usually I got them cheap, so ya know what that means, cheap cars, high amounts of repairs.

2. Most fun to drive was the Suburban Diesel, used to take that thing back and sneak in Split Rock reservoir before they opened it to the public. Climbing up 45deg mountain rocky fire trails, getting stuck in mud bogs, 4' of dirty water, scientifically figuring the best way to prop it up to get it out of there, and still getting on the water in time to get some great LMB, pickerel, crappie, and giant yellow perch action....those were the days. I spent about 10k in repairs on that truck because of all the punishment it went through. :o But the weekends we spent at Split Rock, with hardly a soul around, some of the greatest fishin in the state back then, were some of the best of my early life. :dribble: Great memories.

Another one that was fun was the HD Sturgis. Took that one to the Eastern shore of Maryland, Cape Cod, lots of poker runs in between. Still have it but not much time for poker runs anymore. :don't know why:
Did some crazy stunts on it while ridin the highways...friends liked to ride over 110mph so I hadda keep up...got good at riding with my feet over the handlebars, and mooning people while standing up and riding down the road...good times. :plastered:

3. One I wish I had today...not the Suburban, I way over-extended myself on that one with the repairs. But the memories are priceless, and the last place I got to take my Dad fishin with us. :thumbsup:

stormchaser
07-23-2010, 10:39 AM
I had an old jeep grand wagoneer, had it for 10 years. Great beach buggy. Got rid of it because the trunk was rusting out. I don't have pics. Mine was like this one, but a little more ratty looking.

nitestrikes
07-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Had a 67 mustang. First car I got laid in, cruised in, lots of rocking and rolling. I would buy that car back if I could.

finchaser
07-24-2010, 06:28 PM
First car was a 1966 Chevelle 396 SS

surfwalker
07-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Dark, enjoyed the stories.

stormchaser, always liked the Jeeps

nightstrikes, I'm sure you'd like to have that 'Stang back

Fin, I bet you’d still like to have that Chevelle today, sweet.

In 1967 my first car was a 1965 Fiat, 4-door box, strictly transportation, no fun. After 6 months of that car I picked up a cherry Roman Red Impala convertible (black top) with a 348ci/ six pack/350hp. Got tired of the 348 after another 6 months and picked up and dropped a late model 409/dual quad/425hp in th RR Impala (gas was only about $.29/gal then). That engine ripped that car apart- blew head gaskets, tranny’s, rears, banjos, spent more time with my butt sticking outta the hood than in the seat, but I loved every minute of it, miss those times.

Junked that car in ’69 and put the 409 into a 1961 Impala (pale green “sleeper”) “Bubble Top”. Got rid of that engine after a while and placed a 327 (340hp-paid $40) in it. All engines provided a lot of good times ( and lose of license a few times). The best part was when you lifted the hood, all you saw was an engine, from wheel well to wheel well, nothing but engine.

During this time and up till mid 1970 I also had a 1966 Triumph Bonneville (650cc/dual carb/metalflake green(bad luck color) and a 1958 Pontiac Chieftain (4/5 body trunk), part chaser, re-painted barrier blue iridescent. Had a great boat ride and you just couldn’t kill it. Cruised nice and you could fit any amount of gear in that trunk, just one of the fun cars. More to follow?

Happy Trails

Monty
07-24-2010, 09:01 PM
I have had a bunch, these are my most memorable ones:
- Had a 62 Chevy Belair, I learned to use a clutch with, that was fun (got mugged in NYC (17 years old), could not lock doors, thugs opened them up and got in).
- Ford Fairlane, first accident, hit a UPS truck on the side at the Willobrook mall (just got license, going to buy Ranger hockey tickets, still don't know how I didn't see it).......watched it teeder side to side for what seemed like forever. Lucky it did not roll over. (Had ACDC blasting in the 8 track player).
- An AMC Matador (360 cu in) I wrapped around a pole (it was a tank (thank god)).
- First new car was a Datsun 310, $5,600.00 (GREAT VALUE), 40-50 MPG, blew a head gasket 85k miles, I changed it myself, had extra parts, car would stall every 30-40 miles after my I changed that gasket. Lots of fresh water fishing with this car.
- Audi 100 for about 6 months, best riding vehicle I ever owned, engine seized.
- Fiero with a T bar roof (leaked). Had no room. Tried changing the brakes 1x and had to get it towed and fixed at a station.
- 72 Charger SE, Lots of fun (40k miles never changed the oil, just added when needed).
- Jeep Wrangler was my favorite vehicle (until someone stole my doors while the jeep was in my drive way (wife made me get rid of it)).
- Been driving Jeeps for the last 15-20 years, will never buy another one after I am done with my current one. Chrysler screwed me so bad I would hope that everyone associated with that company would loose their job. They are crooks.
- I bought a Eagle Medallion (new), as I was pulling out from the dealer I asked where the glove compartment was.....did not have one.....buying that car was a mistake, a big mistake.

A tiny sampling of my vehicle history...........:kooky:

Oh, I rolled a Ford Pinto, ended up on the roof....got out, rolled it over, kept on going. Another bad purchase (they roll to easy). :o

surfwalker
07-24-2010, 09:29 PM
Factory installed- they screwed it to the bottom of the dash on one of my cars, great.

rip316
07-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Me and Richie were dicussing this the other day. He asked me if I hit the lottery and had a chance to buy any car, what would I get. And Finchaser answered that question. Chevelle. 396 ss.
I used to have 1985 Monte Carlo ss. That was my best car.

surfstix1963
07-25-2010, 10:43 AM
1st was a 74 Monte Carlo what a boat beat that thing to death and couldn't blow that 350,my favorite was my 72 Chevelle and I put up a few pics of mine and my brothers 70 SS Chevelle:thumbsup: and my cousins T-Bucket:thumbsup: the good ole days.

surfwalker
07-25-2010, 11:41 AM
At work right now, just a short post.
Monty, great stories, enjoyed them.

rip, surfstix- more great stuff, especially the pics.

Happy Trails

fishinmission78
07-25-2010, 02:26 PM
69 camaro, great stories guys keep em comin.:thumbsup:

surfwalker
07-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Continued. In 1972 I bought a new HD Sportster (XLCH-kickstart-$2,175). Picked it up in a blizzard in January, threw it in a van. Rode it stock for a year, then the next winter ripped it down and did mild molding, narrow extended springer front end/spool front wheel (no brake), Lake Injector and other stuff. Old school. Rode all the time- got stopped by the police 29 times in a month and a half- kept my license/registration in my helmet. I still have that bike today, but hasn’t been used in quite a few years. Waiting for that last good ride with the guys.

Had a ’64 Impala at the time and gave it to my uncle. Picked up a cherry ’69 Buick Electra 2 door “Deuce and a quarter” for $2100. Another boat (yacht) ride. Champagne beige with a brown vinyl top. Had the paint redone an cleared and it looked like it was 3” thick, gleamed. Ended up junking it in ’79 when the frame rusted out. I’d take that car back today (couldn’t afford the gas though). More to follow?

Happy Trails

Monty
07-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Passed my drivers license test (miracle (hit the cones parking)), in my mothers Ford LTD. Was like a boat. Think it had a 400 cui, with a 4 barrel carburetor. I hate big vehicles (kinda based on me crashing into things with bigger vehicles).
Drove a Buick Skylark (my moms again and it was another boat) over a rock wall (2 flats), had snow tires in trunk :thumbsup:.
Remember all the room in those trunks?
surfwalker, my best friend around the mid 70's had an Impala, jacked it up, racing stripes. We would drive that car in the woods, was like a tank, great times.
I went through cars the first 3 years I had my license like crazy. Always moving/replacing the 8 track player, power booster, and speakers. One time had 8 track and cassette player installed.

Rip-Plugger
07-25-2010, 08:10 PM
oh man,I had a 1969 LTD xlt,totally blacked out,no chrome,429 cleveland,360 horse,C-6 auto,9 inch nodular iron rearend,what a car,lost 1 race to wheelspin.real tire blazer.

1974 LTD 400 smallblock,puke yellow factory paint,green interior.13 years and left me stuck 1 time,bad starter.great car as well.

1978 mercury cougar-XR-7,400 smallblock,factory ram air[very rare car]9 inch nodular iron rearend,great car.

now,1990 LTD police interceptor ex fire chief car town of portland,Ct.351M,B & M prepped 3 speed auto/overdrive,positraction rearend,red body,white hardtop,tranny cooler,oil cooler,fast machine.

also now 1991 LTD LX,injected 302,K & N,straight 3 inch double exhaust,self modified air spring rear suspension w/ oil damping 4000 pound load max,custom extruded
aluminum drive shaft,no balancing needed.

motorcycle-1986 yamaha virago 1100,custom made[self] straight 2 inch drag tubes,stroker kit now 1205,custom oil cooler added by me from a yamaha RZ 650.
so reliable,I never bought another bike yet,before this one I had a 1982 750 virago that was a great machine as well.

oh boy what a time!
I really must say,every one of them were/are like a good woman,never let ya down.

R-P

Rip-Plugger
07-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Continued. In 1972 I bought a new HD Sportster (XLCH-kickstart-$2,175). Picked it up in a blizzard in January, threw it in a van. Rode it stock for a year, then the next winter ripped it down and did mild molding, narrow extended springer front end/spool front wheel (no brake), Lake Injector and other stuff. Old school. Rode all the time- got stopped by the police 29 times in a month and a half- kept my license/registration in my helmet. I still have that bike today, but hasn’t been used in quite a few years. Waiting for that last good ride with the guys.

Had a ’64 Impala at the time and gave it to my uncle. Picked up a cherry ’69 Buick Electra 2 door “Deuce and a quarter” for $2100. Another boat (yacht) ride. Champagne beige with a brown vinyl top. Had the paint redone an cleared and it looked like it was 3” thick, gleamed. Ended up junking it in ’79 when the frame rusted out. I’d take that car back today (couldn’t afford the gas though). More to follow?

Happy Trails

the deuce and a quarter,manthose were sweet rides,curb feelers sticking out and all.
my uncle had one a 76 it came factory black on one side and white on the other,that 430 would blaze some rubber!
R-P

dogfish
09-11-2014, 03:58 AM
oh man,I had a 1969 LTD xlt,totally blacked out,no chrome,429 cleveland,360 horse,C-6 auto,9 inch nodular iron rearend,what a car,lost 1 race to wheelspin.real tire blazer.

R-P

Nice car, I had a 69 plymouth fury at one time.:thumbsup: