PDA

View Full Version : Sandy Hook drowning

buckethead
07-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Every year something like this happens. RIP.

Two cousins drown in Sandy Hook Bay off Plum Island

Published: Sunday, July 25, 2010, 11:20 AM

Updated: Sunday, July 25, 2010, 12:32 PM

http://media.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impact/photo/shookjpg-8740560020fb19a8_large.jpgThe Star-Ledger file photoA photo of Sandy Hook beach. Two cousins drown on Saturday afternoon while wading in the bay off Plum Island, officials said.

SANDY HOOK -- A 33-year-old man and his 30-year-old cousin both drowned Saturday afternoon while wading with other relatives in Sandy Hook Bay off a sandbar called Plum Island, the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office said. Two relatives were taken to a hospital after also trying to help, as was a toddler who was in the water at the time.
Gonzalo Romero-Tlamintzi, 33, of Sea Bright, was swept into the bay at about 4:30 p.m., said Peter Warshaw, a spokesman for the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s office. His cousin, Miguel Angel Romero-Leon, 30, of Red Bank, tried to save him but was pulled under by the strong current.
The two were taken to Monmouth Medical Center, where they died. Their deaths are believed to be the first drownings at Sandy Hook since the start of the summer season.
Neither man could swim, said John Warren, a spokesman for the Gateway National Recreation Area, which includes Sandy Hook. One of the victims was found in 15 feet of water, but it was not known which one, he said.
Romero-Tlamintzi's brother also tried to help but was pulled under. Warren identified that man as Martin Romero. He was administered CPR and survived. Martin Romero was also taken to the hospital in critical condition.
Romero-Tlamintzi's wife, Natasha Tlamintzi, also swam out to help while still holding their 27-month-old daughter, Warren said. She made it back to shore with the child, but collapsed from exhaustion. The two were taken to the hospital.
The family was wading on the bay side, where signs are posted warning beachgoers that there are no lifeguards, Warren said. The water has strong currents and sudden dropoffs.
Warshaw said the victims were in the water "at various levels, form ankle to waist deep." He said it the water "is particularly dangerous when the tide changes, It's a posted 'No Swimming' area and there are no guards."
Park Rangers from Gateway, along with emergency crews from Highlands, Sea Bright and Rumson responded.

blitzhunter
07-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Every year we have the same thing near the north channel bridge in Jamaica Bay, the currents are intense and you can reach the channel at low tide. Even though you can walk out the water can rip you away. be careful out there!

fishinmission78
07-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Sad, you would think it would be pretty simple, stay away from strong current during a full or new moon.

c4charlie
07-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Sad story. I think it is even simpler. Stay in very low water if you can't swim.

I was at Sandy Hook that day and saw all of the Police EMT activity. I knew something bad happened and having fished that spot many times, it is not a spot to take lightly. The currents going by there rip and during a full moon it is even more unsafe.

RIP.

rip316
07-27-2010, 04:52 PM
I fished that area one night with Dark and believe me if you do not shuffle your feet to find the holes you will fall in one. I was scared to death but once I got the feel for it I was ok. Still had to be very careful. Caught some BIG *** BLUEFISH THOUGH.

BassBuddah
07-29-2010, 08:26 AM
We have strong rips at Montauk and Orient. Most folks don't understand how strong they can be near the full moon. Signs are posted warning of the dangers. How much more can you do? It's up to people to decide the level of risk they want to take. Still, it's very sad when someone drowns like this.

hookedonbass
07-29-2010, 07:12 PM
My family hangs out there. We all know it is risky with no life guard, we better start to think twice about it.

hookset
08-28-2014, 02:58 PM
Another one, RIP

By MaryAnn Spoto | The Star-Ledger

on August 27, 2014 at 10:53 AM, updated August 27, 2014 at 12:52 PM

MIDDLETOWN — A 17-year-old beachgoer drowned in the ocean off Sandy Hook after he went missing on Tuesday evening, park officials said Wednesday morning.

The teen, who was not identified, was pronounced dead early Wednesday morning after being taken off the beach Tuesday evening, said Daphne Yun, spokeswoman for the National Park Service which oversees Sandy Hook.

Yun said the teen was swimming in the ocean in an area not guarded by lifeguards between areas C and D in the park after 5 p.m. People who were with him sought out lifeguards, who were still on duty at the time, and reported that they could no longer see him, she said.

The teen was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead Wednesday morning, Yun said.

She did not immediately know the hometown of the teen or the hospital where he died.

Lifeguards are on duty at Sandy Hook until 6 p.m.

bababooey
08-28-2014, 03:02 PM
Sad news t&p.

baitstealer
08-29-2014, 09:44 AM
Fishermen were talking about that on the beach this morning. Be cafeful guys! Prayers for the family.