PDA

View Full Version : NJ fishing reports for August, 2010

DarkSkies
08-01-2010, 09:40 PM
NJ fishing reports for August, 2010
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
IBSP - Island Beach State Park
LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
AI - Absecon Inlet
CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
CMC - Cape May County
CMR - Cape May Rips
GEI - Great Egg Inlet
TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
BB - Barnegat Bay
CB - Chesapeake Bay
CBBT - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
DB - Delaware Bay

DarkSkies
08-01-2010, 09:42 PM
VSdreams you won the plug in the July random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:
PM me your address so I can send it out to ya!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits, or something similar.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)

Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site! :clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&thumb=1&d=1238965319 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&d=1238965319)

basshunter
08-02-2010, 08:40 AM
OC from 6-8, few short fluke, one stargazer, gulp new penny shrimp on a bucktail.

captnemo
08-02-2010, 01:30 PM
We had some good sea bass fishing over the weekend at some inshore snags. We fished shrewsbury rocks down to Belmar, and got our 3 man limit. There were a lot of shorts, but the action was good nonetheless.

SharkHart
08-02-2010, 08:06 PM
tried for fluke by land sunday morning arrived at monco jetty to find thousands and thousands of spearing being harassed by thousands of snappers, bait was balled up thick as thieves in the wash and spraying out of the water, cocktails blues were periodically blitzing off the tip of the rocks, we pulled a schoolie bass out of the mix too. Funny thing was it seemed to drive off the fluke. Switched to the river later after the rain delay and picked up about 10 flatties each.

All the brown is Bait

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/SharkHart/bait8-1.jpg

cardoc765
08-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Fished the bay yesterday even in the storm with 18 family members. Got to see my lil niece and nephew catch 15 fluke each. My parents and all siblings caught fish as well as my 2 kids. All in all 12 keepers with my sister winning the pool with a 6lb 241/2 inch fluke. Wow what a fat and really wide fish. Almost didn't fit in the net it was so wide.

rip316
08-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Sorry I missed it dude. Thanks for the invite though.

finchaser
08-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Fished the bay yesterday even in the storm with 18 family members. Got to see my lil niece and nephew catch 15 fluke each. My parents and all siblings caught fish as well as my 2 kids. All in all 12 keepers with my sister winning the pool with a 6lb 241/2 inch fluke. Wow what a fat and really wide fish. Almost didn't fit in the net it was so wide.

way to go:clapping::clapping::clapping:

speedy
08-03-2010, 12:19 AM
thats what its all about W T G BRO:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

DarkSkies
08-03-2010, 10:22 AM
tried for fluke by land sunday morning arrived at monco jetty to find thousands and thousands of spearing being harassed by thousands of snappers, bait was balled up thick as thieves in the wash and spraying out of the water, cocktails blues were periodically blitzing off the tip of the rocks, we pulled a schoolie bass out of the mix too. Funny thing was it seemed to drive off the fluke. Switched to the river later after the rain delay and picked up about 10 flatties each.

All the brown is Bait

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/SharkHart/bait8-1.jpg

Nice intel Shark, thanks. :thumbsup: A fellow fanatic called me about albies yesterday and we were guessing when they might show up for surfcasters. I told him my guess would be around the 2nd week of August, or when the spearing and small bait were thick in the surf line. I kind of had a picture in my mind like this.

They come in close when there are consistent amounts of small bait to draw them in. The surf bait has been there, but not as thick as I remember in years past. Your pic shows things a bit differently. Now the countdown begins...:dribble:

Wow, the Cardoc ARMY was out in full force! 18 of ya's? Cool. :cool:
A 24 1/2" fluke is a slob compared to all the shorts out there. :wow:

Nice job on the fishin, guys, glad you all had a good time. :thumbsup:

voyager35
08-03-2010, 01:05 PM
We fished raritan bay this morning, some deeper channels. Kept only larger fluke because we were drifting back and forth over the NY line. 3 keepers to 23", and a lot of fish that were between 17 1/2 and 18 1/2. The best bait was bucktail tipped with peanut bunker with gulp teaser, though we did manage some with big spearing and squid.

rip316
08-03-2010, 06:08 PM
nice job Voyager.

storminsteve
08-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Played hookey yesterday, a bud and I took a boat ride off the shore of monmouth county. We were fluking, got some shorts, when we saw birds and bluefish tailing about 2 miles off monmouth beach. For the next 3 hours we jigged slammer blues to 15lbs, ava27 jigs with green tail. There were a lot of small baitfish, the blues were spitting up sandeels and rainfish when we got them aboard. It was a bloody bluefish feast, and we lost several jigs as one was hooked and others followed it. Great day of fishing, my arms are tired.:fishing:

cardoc765
08-04-2010, 10:42 AM
pics of the cardoc family fun fishing day

rip316
08-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Now I am really sorry I missed it.

cowherder
08-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Great report and pics cardoc, looks like you all had a great time. Are you in any of the pics?

cardoc765
08-05-2010, 07:57 AM
Nope not in any of those pics. Here is a thread with one of me
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=6078&page=6

DarkSkies
08-05-2010, 12:07 PM
G and I went fishin last night. He fished from shore, I fished from the yak. He got a short bass, lost a bigger one, on sandworms. :thumbsup:

I managed 14 porgy and one large oyster cracker, no bass. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon11.gif
Full report in the kayak reports thread.

finchaser
08-05-2010, 08:26 PM
G and I went fishin last night. He fished from shore, I fished from the yak. He got a short bass, lost a bigger one, on sandworms. :thumbsup:

I managed 14 porgy and one large oyster cracker, no bass. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon11.gif
Full report in the kayak reports thread.

:wow:If you become good enough with the kayak, you can peddle out to the swans and bring food to them like a caterer., Maybe you'll even get invited to spend the day.;)

speedy
08-05-2010, 08:53 PM
:wow:If you become good enough with the kayak, you can peddle out to the swans and bring food to them like a caterer., Maybe you'll even get invited to spend the day.;)
ooooooo man:plastered::plastered::plastered:

gjb1969
08-06-2010, 01:12 AM
:kooky::kooky::clapping:

fishinmission78
08-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Too bad you can't win any tournaments with these annoying birds, dark would be out front on the leader board.;)

I fished the park this morning, few short fluke, some weeds, the W/Nw wind cut the surf down, all we need now is some monster bluefish to cruise in and out.

DarkSkies
08-06-2010, 11:52 AM

Man you guys all have memories like elephants. :laugh:
I haven't posted a swan pic in almost 9 months. Pebbles was the last one to post up the swan pics. But hey, if ya's need me to be the swan target, feel free. I might just have to look around on my trips, and post some more for ya's. :moon: :lookhappy:

Here's a rockpile I was anchored up to the other night, I jammed my anchor in there to keep me out fishin a distance from the kayak-bashing rocks. When I got there, I chased a lot of seagulls away, hence the seagull crap all over.

Alas, no swans. :2flip:

yukon
08-06-2010, 05:00 PM
I haven't been fishing locally in a long time hence no reports. Not much of a fluke guy.

But I did get back from Block Island yesterday to find those fishes with the stripes.

We fished two nights from 8 to day break. Me and close friend along with a guide which if its your first time out to BI is a must IMO. We fished with a wetsuit vs waders which is key to get out to good deep water. We would find our rocks at last light with fall back positions since the tide was coming in each night. We'd then walk out to chest high water to flat top boulders to fish from.

First night got two nice bass at 20# and dropped 3 more:embarassed: Second night got 7 bass all in the high teens and got just as many hits. I fished loaded SS needles, loaded Red Fins, 9 in tsunami sand eels and pencils. My first fish on night two I got right at dusk on a pencil. She tail flipped like crazy after crashing the pencil amongst the rocks. Awesome sight.

We had hoped for double digit nights but the winds came in the day we got there and we had to fish one side of the island and of course the other side had the hot bite the days prior. It was still an incredible trip.

Not sure what it was but these fish were extremely aggressive. They fought like mad till the end and would CRUSH your lure. There was no mistaking hitting a rock or a patch of weed vs a hit.

It was some tough fishing but I'll be back in the fall for sure.

Tight lines!

buckethead
08-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Fished for about 3 hours last night. Got a couple of skates but not much else.

Monty
08-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Yukon, nice report. Sounded like great fun.

Not sure what it was but these fish were extremely aggressive. They fought like mad till the end and would CRUSH your lure. There was no mistaking hitting a rock or a patch of weed vs a hit.
Tight lines!

clamchucker
08-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Nice report yukon, it's good to hear about summer bass action.
I fished ibsp this morning, 5 fluke near the top of the tide, one keeper that barely made it, gulp and bucktail,

storminsteve
08-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Went crabbing today in the navesink with chicken. We got almost 2 bushels between the 4 of us, a few throwbacks. There were some large jimmies, I think this has to be the best year in a long time. Cooking them now in beer and old bay, mmmmm!:drool:

Monty
08-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Fished this morning 1:45 to 8:00. Two small cocktail blues after sun up on teaser. Very slow. Nice night, not hot, no bugs, breeze.

DarkSkies
08-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Good to see some of ya's getting out and at least trying, people. :thumbsup:

Summer doldrums in full affect, some fish here and there dependent on bait and temp. There are definitely a lot of places that aren't holding fish this time of year.

Pebbles and I fished the 1st half of the incoming in the tandem kayak yesterday. We were targeting porgies, bass and bluefish. Great day, but despite a smorgasbord of bait I brought along we got skunked. Even the area that produced for me so well a few nights before was totally dead. Go figure. :huh:

Full report in the kayak fishing reports in kayak forum.

chas527
08-09-2010, 02:49 PM
took the grandson crabbing in the naversink .great day 80 crabs in 4 hours. left them biting, ran out of places to put them.

bababooey
08-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Late report, picked here and there to get our 3 man limit of seabass on Sunday. We fished near the red church in 35' of water.

storminsteve
08-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Moco this morning 4-6, incoming tide, one small bass on an ava and teaser, bass hit the teaser.

c4charlie
08-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Just got back from a fun morning of crabbing and snapper fishing. Two boys and my wife came along and we had a great time. Crabs were biting and the snappers were caught on almost every cast or drop. My wife did an excellent job catching as well as my two little pros. http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/highfive.gif

I spent a lot of time putting spearing on hooks so that the extra long hook point would be right on the tail. I was out fished by everyone including my wife! http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/wink.gif

We are going to Round Valley camping for the weekend which is going to lots of FUN. I http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/graemlins/heart.gif it there.

jigfreak
08-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Nice report c4charlie, I'm about due for a crabbing trip, old bay and fresh steamed crabs, mmmmm.:drool:

rip316
08-11-2010, 05:29 PM
I have a better recipe for the crabs if you want to try it. I'll get it from my brother in law and post her here. They are deliciuos. What he does is this. He takes a five gallon bucket filled halfway with ice water and puts the crabs in alive. This puts the crabs in a sleep like trance. Then he pulls the belly open and cleans out all of the kaka. Then he boils a mixture of water, olive oil, diced garlic from a jar, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes. I have to get the exact measurements. Get this mixture to a rapid boil and then put the crabs in for I think 12 mins. These were the best crabs I have ever eaten. Couple cold Corona's and what a time.

cardoc765
08-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Looking forward to Tuedsday. Monmouth county parks hires every charter boat in Atalntic highlands once a year and takes all the kids that sign up fishing for the day. I will have 30 kids that day. It's going to be fun passing on the sport and being with the kids.

wish4fish
08-15-2010, 04:14 PM
went to nomoco last night got some sharks on bunker they were all doggies none with teeth.

wish4fish
08-15-2010, 04:16 PM
. Then he pulls the belly open and cleans out all of the kaka..
hey dude u dont like the crab kaka? all that yellow and green stuff i didnt think it was the kaka i thought it was the stomach.

rip316
08-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Whatever it is I do not eat it. Nasty looking stuff and I was always told to clean it all out or I would get sick so that's what I do.

fishinmission78
08-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Fished the park today with clams and bunker, it was weedy as hell.:skunk: (1 skate, does that count against a skunk?)

Monty
08-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Fished out back this morning, 2;30-7:30, skunkarooskie. Had 1 hogy bit in half, that was pretty much it. Real nice night, not hot.

bababooey
08-16-2010, 09:35 AM
slammer blues are back! - we had a great morning yesterday battling slammer blues to 15lbs down the beach from the hook. All jigged on spoons and diamond jigs with red tails. Great action, my arms are tired.

gjb1969
08-16-2010, 12:53 PM
slammers now i can get my big fish fix:fishing::dribble:

cardoc765
08-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Had a 7 man charter today. Went to where the blues were yesterday and nothing. Boats from as far as PP were there and not a bite. Took a run a lil further offshore and BAM. 24 monster speeders landed and another 30 lost due to guys playing with their drag or just coming off. Smallest was around 8lb. Most were in the 10-12lb range and 3 bigger ones to 15-16lbs. Haven't seen large slammers like that in a while.

fishinmission78
08-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Way to go on the slammers, guys. I fished Island beach this am, wrong time and tide but I had to give it a try. Nothing but weeds on the incoming.

captnemo
08-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Had a 7 man charter today. Went to where the blues were yesterday and nothing. Boats from as far as PP were there and not a bite. Took a run a lil further offshore and BAM. 24 monster speeders landed and another 30 lost due to guys playing with their drag or just coming off. Smallest was around 8lb. Most were in the 10-12lb range and 3 bigger ones to 15-16lbs. Haven't seen large slammers like that in a while.

We got in on that action too Cardoc, only we weren't prepared gear wise. We were fluking and saw the readings. We started jigging, and it was crazy. We only managed to land a few, maybe 2 out of 20 or so. The rest we got close, or had a LDR. They were gorilla blues, many over 14 pounds. I'm embarrased to say I broke one of our cheap fluke rods on one of them. I haven't seen bluefish that size inshore in quite some time.

VSdreams
08-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Fished this morning at nomoco with gulp and a small sinker in back of it, 4 short fluke. There were a lot of small baitfish close to the edge, but nothing was on them except fluke.

cardoc765
08-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Thought you guys would like to see a pic of yesterdays catch!!!

cardoc765
08-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Had the boys and girls club of Monmouth County out today. The kids had some fun catching a few shorts and 2 keepers in 2 hours. Short trip, but it was good to show them how to fish and watch them bring some in.

chas527
08-17-2010, 04:53 PM
fished sh this morning 7am till 12 . cauth some mullet yesterday an tried that ,4 shorts.did see alot of bait in the water. talked to one guy he said the blues were there about 6 for about 1/2 hour

rip316
08-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Good job Cardoc wit hthe kids. You are a classy guy. That's why we are brothers from other mothers.

DarkSkies
08-18-2010, 07:40 PM
:clapping: for the kids' trip Cardoc. Getting a child into fishing pays lifelong dividends. The smiles alone are priceless. :thumbsup:

I fished the last 3 hours of the flood, first hour of the ebb, early today. The 3 hours were in back bay spots. The amount of bait built up is awesome, thousands of medium spearing in a few spots, different sized peanuts and mullet in others. I'm excited the bay waters dropped10 degrees in the last 2 weeks, but we still need another 5-10 degree bump downward. Last year around this time I was catching big blues to 15 in the deeper parts of the bay and some inlets. This year the dominant life species are smaller blues, fluke, and some other assorted fish thrown in.

With the amount of bait if there were numbers of fish the water would be exploding.

I did hear and see some fish feeding, as I said nothing worthwhile. Casting artificials 3 hours produced only 2 bumps. I had to work for those 2 hits, working the entire water column with spearing and peanut profile offerings, rubber, bucktails, and very small swimmers. The hits were managed with spearing type small rubber, but nothing aggressive or with tails bit off. Small fish nonetheless, it was good to be out there as I haven't had any fish action in over a week. :plastered:

Right before sunrise I hit the ocean looking for some big bluefish, or anything except fluke that would pull a little drag. The big rollers on the ebb told me there was an offshore swell, with some coming in at 4-6' high.

The variable N wind made casting a challenge. I presented with bucktails and heavier storm shads, northbar bottle darter, bigger ML swimmers, and 1 1/2 to 2 oz metal as the sky got brighter. I couldn't manage one bluefish hit on the ocean side in the rough surf. There was small bait, but it was scattered as the gulls dived randomly.

The dinner bell was ringing as the wind shifted to the NE. The predators were just not there in any numbers. I was fishing close to where they have been caught, if I had a boat. ;)

I was thinking that today was probably a bad day to take a kayak out, as the pre-dawn swells were pretty frequent. :eek:

There are fish other than fluke out there, in specific areas of structure for those with boats, or back bay inlet and current areas for those who want to bait fish. Fresh spearing, peanuts, and mullet are the dominant profile now. Netting them and throwing out the biggest ones at night is a recipe for success.

As for me, I just needed to be out there, wetting a line and mixing it up. :fishing:

hookset
08-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Fished an occo beach, dropping tide, this am. 3 short fluke and one star gazer, gulp and buck.

fishinmission78
08-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Above the park this morning, before sunrise. Worked some cuts and holes. Got 2 small bass, one on a shad, another on a spearing sized teaser.

jigfreak
08-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Went on my friend's skiff in the SJ back bays this morning. We bailed the short fluke, 40 between the both of us, managed one keeper at 19". Got a blowfish and a trigger also. Small bucktails tipped with spearing.

seamonkey
08-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Fished on Brigantine island today on the ocean side, 3 decent kingfish on bloods.

plugaholic
08-21-2010, 08:07 AM
Fished LBI last night. I started using bunker but ended with blood worms. One sand shark. I did not get anything else with either one of them.

clamchucker
08-21-2010, 10:07 PM
There were some decent size cocktail blues in and out of the surf at IBSP today. I managed a few on ava 007 with green tails. The action was sporadic, and the best for me was the first hour after sunrise.

Monty
08-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Ocean side this morning, 1:45-8:00.
4 short fluke on teaser and a plug.
A few teeny snappers (they hit the teaser and popper that was there size).
Saw another dead thing:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showpost.php?p=41209&postcount=12

Was nice out, had fun :d. except for dead thing :huh:

Actually two dead things, anyone know what this is (type of fish)?

rip316
08-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Weakfish?

DarkSkies
08-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Actually two dead things, anyone know what this is (type of fish)?

Many of us haven't seen one of these in a while, Monty. :wow: :eek: :bigeyes:

Looks like a washed out weakie to me. Some have been pulled in here and there, S Jersey, Delaware Bay, Barnegat Bay, and across the way in the NY side of the Bight. There are reports of small 6-7" spikes in S Jersey waters. I have some friends in LI that have been getting them regularly now. I'm surprised we don't hear more chatter about them on the RB side.

2 years ago in the spring friends were C&R them up to 16#, this year I didn't hear of one that even came close to that size.
They're becoming about as scarce as the yeti. ;)

DarkSkies
08-22-2010, 08:13 PM
Short report:

I took Pebbles out on the tandem kayak for a pre-storm fishing and scouting trip. We stayed close to the harbor trying to beat the weather, but it was getting ugly. We found porgies pretty quickly. Only had 5 minutes before a fierce squall came ashore, and we had to high-tail it back to the launch. She at least caught a porgy with sandworms on her Finchaser rod.

Long version in the kayak fishing reports thread. :plastered:

finchaser
08-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Short report:

I took Pebbles out on the tandem kayak for a pre-storm fishing and scouting trip. We stayed close to the harbor trying to beat the weather, but it was getting ugly. We found porgies pretty quickly. Only had 5 minutes before a fierce squall came ashore, and we had to high-tail it back to the launch. She at least caught a porgy with sandworms on her Finchaser rod.

Long version in the kayak fishing reports thread. :plastered:

She wants a bass last year swans this year porgies what next:don't know why::d

rip316
08-23-2010, 07:51 AM
hahahahahahahahahahaha. Fin won't let up. Too funny.

finchaser
08-23-2010, 08:39 AM
5:30 this AM 1 bass 19" in the back on DOA jerk on lead head

storminsteve
08-24-2010, 08:08 AM
Yeah Dark, you were the swan king, now you're the porgy king!:laugh: j/k, at least you got out there.

I fished nomoco last night. It was a light drizzle. I tried to fish bunker heads for some possible bass, got one dogfish about 4' long.

DarkSkies
08-24-2010, 09:49 AM
^^ The more ya guys BB about the swans, the more I'm gonnna look for them when I'm out there. :moon: :lookhappy: I saw some yesterday but didn't take the camera out much, I was too busy battling the intense NE swell.

Fishin report:
Yesterday morning I played hookey, and went to the dirty water. Report in the Dirty Water Anglers thread.

After only managing a few porgies and fighting waves to 3', I gave up and hit water where I thought I would find a lee. Not much luck with that, the steady 20-25 mph winds made it tough to move around, but the bass were there. My googan self only managed a few porgies, couldn't find a way to connect with the bass. :bucktooth:

Full report in the Kayak fishin reports thread.

jigfreak
08-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Fished a bridge in the back last night, the ocean was unfishable. Incomeing, one rat bass, tsunami shad.

wish4fish
08-25-2010, 12:45 PM
hey guys the smaller bluefish are eating the peanuts we fished in the back last night and caught 10 cocktails on peanut bunker near high tide, it died right after that. we caught them mon night too. cant wait for the bigger bluefish to show up!

buckethead
08-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Tried fishing nomo last night. Didn't get anything but did see one guy pull in a small blue.

surferman
08-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Fished a SJ beach from 5-8, a few small kingfish and 1 short bass, bloodworms.

captnemo
08-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Got out before sunrise and got a smorgasbord of small tog (returned) fluke, and sea bass. We were fishing within 3 miles of shore. The drift this morning was perfect on the incoming.

DarkSkies
08-28-2010, 07:49 AM
Short report:
Fished yesterday with an amazing T&W kayak fisherman.

Finchaser knew I was going and hooked me up with some custom tubes. :drool: :thumbsup:
I managed 11 bass to 26", lots of fun.
Report on the kayak fishing reports thread.

Later, I hit a dirty water spot looking for big blues and weakfish. Didn't find the blues or any porgies. I did manage a few small sea bass, some dogfish, and one 15" weakie. Haven't seen one of those in a while, beautiful fish, C&R. Report in the Dirty Water Anglers thread.

clamchucker
08-28-2010, 05:34 PM
I fished the park this morning, incoming. A few short fluke on gulp, and 2 bluefish on a bucktail.

Monty
08-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Out front this morning 1:30-8:30 (nap in jeep for an hour or so at low tide).
Ended up with a couple short Fluke on metal.
Looked like Blues harassing (slaughtering) bait out of casting range on sun up for a couple hours. Worked on my looong casts (which seem shorter than last year's:huh:).
Nice night but wow was it bright out there. Then this.

rip316
08-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Fished OC outfront this morning from 520 til 730. All I can say is thank you Monty. 2 short bass. Both copies of each other at 26". Beautiful morning. I just wanted to hit the ocean and see for myself what was happening. I caught them on plugs, not bait. Trying to become an all around type of angler. ( bait, plugs) Fished with my BIL. Always have a good time with him.

DarkSkies
08-30-2010, 09:58 AM
I caught them on plugs, not bait.

:eek: :wow: :don't know why: :plastered: :fishing: :thumbsup:
WTG, bro, and on Monty's Magic Teasers (MMT) :bigeyes:

voyager35
08-30-2010, 11:57 AM
We fished the Mud Buoy area yesterday. Fishing was a little slow compared to how it had been. We got into some bluefish 10-13lbs using diamond and gold hammered jigs, 2oz. We boated 10 and hooked a lot of others. The action was pretty consistent for about 1 1/2 hours.

clamchucker
08-30-2010, 02:43 PM
I fished the park this morning before sunrise and an hour after. Had almost 20 small bluefish. There were tiny spearing in the surf where I was and the bluefish were feeding. I was using an ava 1 oz and a teaser. About half hit the teaser, half hit the jig.

rip316
08-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Nice job guys on getting out there and trying. I might hit the back of RB before I go to work in the morning if I can get to bed early.

baitstealer
08-31-2010, 10:53 AM
I fished on my uncle's boat yesterday for bottom fish. We hit the Sandy Hook reef and got a lot of sea bass and porgies, on the incoming was best.

storminsteve
08-31-2010, 03:30 PM
Somoco from 5-7am today, 1 short bass 27" on a diamond jig.

rip316
08-31-2010, 05:26 PM
Looks like you had the same idea as me Steve. I love fishing ocean county. Had a really good fall last year there.

chas527
09-01-2010, 03:20 PM
took my grandson fishing on a half day party boat from atlantic highlands. got skunked he caught 2 small wons. not one keeper on the boat. what a waste of money.

jigfreak
09-01-2010, 03:45 PM
That sux, Chas, the water is like a sauna everywhere except offshore.

rip316
09-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Good call on the half day boat. I took my son once when he was little and my Dad insisted on a 3/4 day. All I can say is that he never once shut up about being bored. lmao.

surferman
09-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Back bay after work today. Did not have any action. I thought the fish came out before the storms?

finchaser
09-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Back bay after work today. Did not have any action. I thought the fish came out before the storms?

Not when the water is **** warm and the tropical storm brings even warmer water