PDA

View Full Version : weather question

paco33
08-08-2010, 07:16 AM
Before I head out I always check the weather. There are many times when I found the forecast was inaccurate. It lead to me missing fishing opportunities or I would get caught in a downpour unprepared. I am the only one who relies on the weatherman? Maybe I should just go by my own instinct.

Doublerunner
08-08-2010, 08:26 AM
What forecasts are you listening to?

surfwalker
08-08-2010, 09:13 AM
I'll glance at the weather reports, but most times they are not the deciding factor of going or not, unless it's a hurricane. I'll make the trip anyway and adjust to the pattern once on the beach. I go, as you say, " on my own instinct". I enjoy it too much to have some other factor keep me from doing what I enjoy, it's just another challenge for me. To each his own.

cardoc765
08-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Paco, try using these sites to determine what you want to do. Don't go by them as gospel. The first one you can change the location to where you are going to be fishing or at least the closest town. Then to the right you can view an hourly account. That is what i use. The second one, you can change as well to find out marine weather and then make a good judgement. Hope this helps.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=south amboy, nj&wuSelect=WEATHER

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/okx/
you can play with this one too if the area you are going to fish isnt on it. Click in the outlined area where you are going to fish and it will give you the info you need.

rip316
08-08-2010, 04:25 PM
I personally have found NOAA to be more wrong than right. When I am planning trips on the ocean I use buoyweather. I have experienced them to be more accurate then NOAA

dogfish
08-11-2010, 09:48 AM
I will check a few of them. It's important to see what the forecast is. If you can break it down into an hourly graphic prediction, you can get in some good fishing right before a storm develops. You also want to check the barometric pressure.

CharlieTuna
03-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Dogfish mentioned barometric pressure. I think you will find that when the strongest storm systems are approaching is when you have the most extreme changes in barometric pressure. conversely, when they predict a bad one and it never materializes, you may find the barometric pressure never reached the extreme low or high they were talking about.