PDA

View Full Version : Should he be charged?

plugcrazy
08-08-2010, 08:00 AM
Do you think this guy who was operating the boat should be charged?

Fatal boating accident near Brigantine involved inexperienced boaters who rented a skiff for the day, police say

A 41-year-old New York man died Wednesday afternoon in a boating accident in the back bay of Brigantine, officials said.
The accident happened at about 3:15 p.m. in Little Bay, and involved two friends - inexperienced boaters who rented the 16-foot-long skiff for the day.

State Police Sgt. Stephen Jones said Samuel Shiel was piloting the boat. Noam Lasker of New Rochelle, N.Y., was on board. Shiel made a hard left turn. Lasker fell overboard, and was hit by the boat's propeller.

The U.S. Coast Guard was called. A helicopter spotted Lasker's body in the water, and the Coast Guard boat crew picked him up. Lasker was dead at the scene.

An autopsy is scheduled for today. State Police are investigating.
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/n...cc4c002e0.html (http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/breaking/article_5682ab5a-a004-11df-a142-001cc4c002e0.html)

Doublerunner
08-08-2010, 08:25 AM
A tragedy for sure. I feel for both families as they both will be affected forever. I am sure that charges will be filed...at least by the authorities. But this is where boaters education comes in. Where I do a lot of my boating I had to pass an online exam and then I had to take and pass a writtem exam to be allowed to operate a boat in this state. Of course accidents will still happen but will be reduced if there is more boaters education made mandatory

Monty
08-08-2010, 12:47 PM
I am leaning towards not charging him. He will have to live with what happened the rest of his life. If alcohol was involved, I would say charge him and lock him up. But if it was a complete accident, IMHO no charge.

cardoc765
08-08-2010, 03:49 PM
To begin with, I feel that the places who rent boats should only rent to those who have passed a boaters safety course like the rest of us have to. If not, they are just promoting violating a law that pertains to ALL boaters. I am on the water almost everyday and I can tell when someone is out there on their boat and has not taken a safety course or they are just plain a holes and don't give a hoot. :beatin: Should he be charged? I agree if there was alcohol involved, then yes. Should he at least get a fine for driving without a boater safety course card? Assuming he didn't have one, yes. He will have to live with causing his friends death for the rest.

c4charlie
08-08-2010, 09:48 PM
I AGREE that you should not be able to operate a rented boat or whatever boat without the safety course. Not sure how there is a loophole in the law that allows people to rent skiffs without a boating safety course. If these skiffs operate on the same waters as other non-rental boaters then the same laws should apply to EVERYONE.

I am not sure if the person operating the boat should be charged. Definitely a penalty and if they were drinking, definitely involuntary .... Just not sure if it was a true accident. I think that it should be more than a fine, just not sure if it should be jail time or community service or what...