PDA

View Full Version : The things you love most about spring fishing

ledhead36
03-12-2008, 06:38 AM
One of the greatest things for me is getting up in the dark, all is quiet. Driving down to the spot, I know it won't be crowded b/c a lot of guys don't fish until they are dragging in fish all over the place. I like to think a lot when I am fishing, get my best thinking done when fishing by myself.

I also like being near the water in the pre-dawn hours, and watching the sun rise. Never gets old for me, I appreciate it every time I see it.

pescador29
03-13-2008, 05:25 PM
I like the peace and quiet. Not many people are on the beach. It is a good time.

stormchaser
03-13-2008, 10:16 PM
When the bunker are accessible, from shore or boat. Nothing like being in the middle of the schools. The adrenaline rush is unforgettable.

bababooey
03-13-2008, 11:24 PM
"Not many people on the beach" - good thing any time of year.:D

voyager35
03-15-2008, 09:57 PM
I like the quiet, lack of crowds. Never get that too much once summer comes around.

clamchucker
03-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Sunrise and sunsets, and the chance to sit down and have a beer or two without people bothering you.

plugginpete
03-19-2008, 11:31 PM
I like sometimes when we light a fire to warm up near the water. Reminds me of the boy scout camps when I was younger. Great times.

katiefishes
04-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Hi Guys!
The thing I love most is the rod in my hand.:drool:

stripercrazy
04-04-2008, 02:52 PM
So, Katie, haven't seen you around. Did you just join? Other than the fact you like holding the rod, we really don't know much about you. Why not tell us a little more about yourself? C'mon, we won't bite. :D

katiefishes
04-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Striper, I don't think I have to worry about you biting. I think you need to worry about my action with the rod. My delicate touch that catches the fish.

pinhead44
04-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Wow, Katie sounds like a live one, welcome to the site Katie.:HappyWave:

I like the fact that many people won't go out till they hear great reports, so you have some beaches to yourself till the end of April.

CharlieTuna
04-12-2008, 07:32 PM
To me, it signals a rebirth every year. The chance to get all the boxes and crates together, clean them out, organize, and set up for the season. The first trip of the season is kinda special, almost a ritual. Got my favorite place where I stop for coffee, buttered roll, bait, bs with the guys, and favorite early season haunts. Makes me feel alive. http://www.stripersandanglers.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

fish_off
04-13-2008, 11:35 PM
I love not seeing one guy with five rods and a cooler of beer crossing all the lines of the dudes next to him:)

fishlipper
04-15-2008, 06:56 PM
I love not seeing one guy with five rods and a cooler of beer crossing all the lines of the dudes next to him:)\

That's why you gotta keep a line clipper handy. When all those lines cross everybody else's, it's like the guy doesn't even care. Good to help a buddy out, clip clip, as you hand him back the ones that got crossed. I try to talk to the guy first, maybe he's a newbie, just doesn't have a clue. So I try the advice thing. It happens 2 or 3 times more, the lines might get "snagged" when you are handing them back to him. :D

skinner
04-15-2008, 07:53 PM
The lack of crowds does it for me. Forecast says storms, everyone stays home. Fish don't know when it's raining. :)

stripermania
05-11-2009, 04:40 PM
The smell of the ocean, sunrises, sunsets and the bass hitting my line.

jimbob
05-11-2009, 08:29 PM
I like getting the winter cobwebs shook out. also like the elbow room, but that seems to diminish every year. I never get tired of the sunrise or sunset. It is good to see the birds that have migrated back (maybe not the Piping Plovers) just kidding.

voyager35
05-11-2009, 08:37 PM
The smell of the ocean, sunrises, sunsets and the bass hitting my line.

The smell of the ocean...:heart: It doesn't get any better than that, with or without the bass.

jigfreak
03-26-2010, 09:43 PM
That's why you gotta keep a line clipper handy. When all those lines cross everybody else's, it's like the guy doesn't even care. Good to help a buddy out, clip clip, as you hand him back the ones that got crossed. I try to talk to the guy first, maybe he's a newbie, just doesn't have a clue. So I try the advice thing. It happens 2 or 3 times more, the lines might get "snagged" when you are handing them back to him. :D

The lack of crowds does it for me. Forecast says storms, everyone stays home. Fish don't know when it's raining. :)

This is me, I will give someone a chance once, then it's time for them to learn by getting the lines cut. I also like the fact that less googs are out when it's cold.

gjb1969
03-26-2010, 11:21 PM
rod in hand out fishing and no snow ice with promise of better fishing to come:fishing: tite lines and good fishin

hookset
03-01-2011, 08:43 AM
To me, it signals a rebirth every year. Makes me feel alive. http://www.stripersandanglers.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Yup, me too.

VSdreams
03-01-2011, 08:51 AM
And most guys won't be out till the reports start flowing in. It is one of the few times of the year you can have some peace and quiet at night on the beach.

porgy75
03-01-2011, 06:37 PM
The smell of the sea air.

rip316
03-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Just being able to get back out there.

finchaser
03-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Just being able to get back out there.

are you a bear, do you hybernate

rip316
03-02-2011, 04:52 PM
I wish I could sleep as long as a bear does. No wise @ss I don't lol. I am actually looking forward to fishing bait with my new buddy this Spring.

strikezone31
03-03-2011, 02:05 PM
What I love -people staying inside because its too cold!

In LI we have to wait for April for the season to open, or Mar 16 if you fish the Hudson. A lot of guys will stay in until the reports start flowing. As for me, I like to run around and check some of my reliable spots to see if the bunker are in. And they are, already. ;) So I mark that every year, and when the season opens I can usually catch a few fish by knowing their pattern.

skinner
03-21-2012, 09:54 PM

I used to love that too, but this spring all the guys were out fishing by the 2nd week of march. Crazy.

jigfreak
03-29-2012, 12:31 AM

Yup, and this year we have more herring than I have ever seen. They can all stay inside until May.

storminsteve
03-29-2012, 04:04 PM
I wish I could have found some herring last night. They come and go. Last night it was like they all went on a factory tour.

williehookem
03-01-2013, 07:53 PM
I like getting the winter cobwebs shook out. also like the elbow room, but that seems to diminish every year. I never get tired of the sunrise or sunset. It is good to see the birds that have migrated back (maybe not the Piping Plovers) just kidding.

The smell of the sea air.

I like getting the cobwebs out. It feels like such a long time till the season opens you just have to get out there whether you catch or not

Monty
03-01-2013, 08:30 PM
I like getting the cobwebs out. It feels like such a long time till the season opens you just have to get out there whether you catch or not

Me too, a few more weeks and the fun will start for me.

finchaser
03-02-2013, 07:26 AM
Nothing many small fish are killed needlessly with clams before they grow to breed. Then they are wiping out the breeders with snag and drop some before they breed. They should make it a law only circle hooks for bait like they did to preserve Marlin.
Just my .02 if things go on like this a collasp is near.

ledhead36
03-12-2014, 06:26 PM

x2 until the reports come out for a couple of days, or maybe a week you have it to yourself.

J Barbosa
03-13-2014, 04:52 PM
tire fires

guys setting up three rods directly behind me when I wade out

other general muggings

cooling towers

littering

the drunk who tries to steal my fishing bag ever Friday night so he could sell it for some crack

short keepers

guys who choose to fish the NJ flats but then try to skish to Staten Island with their CTS/ZB setup to toss a clam

okay....now seriously....below this line...

Snagging and chunking bunker in the spring

Kayaking before all the boats are in the water

storminsteve
03-13-2014, 06:08 PM
guys who choose to fish the NJ flats but then try to skish to Staten Island with their CTS/ZB setup to toss a clam

:clapping:haha I have seen guys like that!!!! They come down to the bay like they're trying out for a part in a surfcaster movie. It's the bay dude! No need for a 11' rod or large capacity ZB or VS. Most of your fish are going to be schoolies you don't need a rod and reel that can winch a 40 poound bass in. Lol all night long at these doofuses!

rockhopper
03-14-2014, 10:09 AM
To me, it signals a rebirth every year. The chance to get all the boxes and crates together, clean them out, organize, and set up for the season. The first trip of the season is kinda special, almost a ritual. Got my favorite place where I stop for coffee, buttered roll, bait, bs with the guys, and favorite early season haunts. Makes me feel alive. http://www.stripersandanglers.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Me too time to shake the cobwebs off and the winter blahs. You may not catch much but its great just to be out there. I took a ride to montauk over the weekend. Just to see what the winter did to the beaches and see the rocks that were there last year. Some have changed but it still is a rush getting that sea air in your lungs, seeing the gulls, and watching the waves crash on the rocks and beach. You start to get out of the hating winter mode and back into the hey lets go fishing! mode.

hookedonbass
04-08-2014, 04:37 PM

X3

robmedina
04-08-2014, 05:54 PM
Hopefulness. I feel hope for the up coming year.
Anticipation- I am excited to get back out there.

Monty
04-08-2014, 09:54 PM

Me too!!

seamonkey
04-06-2015, 07:26 PM
I love the fact that not too many is out there until the reports are all over the place. For at least 2 weeks you have peace and quiet. Then the madness starts!

seamonkey
04-06-2015, 07:26 PM

X2!

storminsteve
04-07-2015, 08:15 PM
its The one time of year you can fish without seeing any coney island whitefish in the water.:upck:

wish4fish
04-07-2015, 10:37 PM
haha lol luv them ci whitefish! just dont touch wit ur hands

surfrob
04-08-2015, 06:50 AM
its The one time of year you can fish without seeing any coney island whitefish in the water.:upck:

but it's also the time of year the "floaters" dropped in over the winter become visible for the CSI units :D

cowherder
04-08-2016, 05:40 PM
Whenever it rains most of the guys stay home.:headbang:

jigfreak
04-08-2016, 05:47 PM
Thats cuz they're waiting for fb reports to tell them it's on. I love rain and bad weather it keeps the fair weather fishermen by the TV.

ledhead36
04-11-2017, 09:42 AM
Whenever it rains most of the guys stay home.:headbang:

Thats cuz they're waiting for fb reports to tell them it's on. I love rain and bad weather it keeps the fair weather fishermen by the TV.

Yep yep. Did good and nasty weather the other night. I have been spending a lot of time, putting in time, catching some nice stripers. Some dudes only want to fish when the weather is perfect. That's good, they can stay home LOL

baitstealer
04-11-2017, 10:08 AM
I think you put in a lot of time. I have learned a lot from your reports, thank you sir. Congrats and thank you for sharing.

aage
04-11-2017, 03:56 PM
It's the only time Stripers taste good, they build up that good winter fat and are nice and firm.

jigfreak
04-11-2017, 09:37 PM
I agree. I kill most of my stripers in the spring and fall. Let em go the rest of the year. When they eat bunker regularly they taste like A**.

albiealert
05-13-2017, 07:05 AM

X2

albiealert
05-13-2017, 07:08 AM
Also, the nice part. When the weather is bad you can find a secluded spot and have it all to yourself.

CharlieTuna
05-13-2017, 08:41 AM
It's the only time Stripers taste good, they build up that good winter fat and are nice and firm.

Good point.

jigfreak
04-22-2018, 10:29 AM
Cold and windy also keeps guys inside in front of the game console. Love it.

jigfreak
04-22-2018, 10:35 AM
Cold and windy keeps a lotta guys inside at the video game consoles.