PDA

View Full Version : Beginners - Let's talk about the T&W essentials

DarkSkies
08-18-2010, 09:02 PM
How to set up a tutorial thread in this beginners forum:

There are a ton of tutorials out there to help the new guys getting started. Some of the best ones I found have been from Ocean Kayaks. I could use some help putting these up and laying out some new threads here.

What I'm asking you folks for help is in kind of illustrating these threads for the beginners, and labeling it in the title with some reference to beginners, or you could copy exactly the format in the title line above.

All you have to do is:

go to you-tube,

C&P the link,

and put it in the brackets so it shows up here.

Here's a tutorial:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=7

Simply putting up the you-tube link as shown above and the thread title for "Beginners" would be very helpful.

If you can post up any more than that, that would be awesome as well. :clapping:

Thanks for any help you can give people, as I'm busier now and could really use the assistance. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

Feel free to post up links as well. Links are decided on a case-by-case basis here.

For the most part, I'm pretty liberal about posting up links here, unless the person putting them up has a financial interest, is trying to spam the site, or is not a contributing member to these forums. Thanks.

DarkSkies
08-18-2010, 09:18 PM
This came from the t-man's site, they have all kinds of T&W stuff there.

http://www.tmancustomtackle.com/

Tube Fishing FAQ's

1. Can I fish my T-Man Striper Tube without any weight?

Yes, you can rig your T-Man Striper Tube without any weight to troll in shallow waters. Tie a quality swivel on the end of your main line and attach a

3ft piece of fluorocarbon leader from the swivel to the tube. Or better yet, tie a T-Man Quick Change Weighted Keel "in-line" with your tube and simply remove the weight. Now your fishing weightless but also ready to add weight back on the frame when needed.

2. How much weight should I use to reach the depths I want to fish?

How much weight to use varies from trip to trip and area to area. It is dependent upon tides, currents, wind conditions, boat speed, line out behind the boat and boat direction. Below is a chart which will give you a good idea where to start!

Note: Use a bit more weight than the chart below describes when trolling our Tube Tail Spoons!!

3. How fast should I troll the tube and worm rig?

Slow, slow, slow!!! 2mph or less is ideal!

4. What should I use as bait to add to my T-Man Striper Tube?

Fresh sandworms, thinly cut squid strips, nightcrawlers, eels or artificial plastic worms

5. What type of line should I use when trolling the Tube & Worm?

Braided Spectra fiber lines from 30-50 pound test work very well with the T-Man Striper Tube and Quick Change Weighted Keel system.

6. Will other fish besides stripers hit the tube and worm rig?

Yes! Bluefish and other gamefish will hit the tube and worm rig readily!

Here's a list of fish caught on T-Man Striper Tubes ove the last few years...

Striped Bass, Bluefish, Blackfish, Fluke, Scup, Sea Bass, Sand Shark, Barracuda, Cobia, False Albacore Tuna and Weakfish.

7. Does the tube color really matter?

Absolutely. The scarlet tubes are consistently effective in almost all conditions. However, when fishing in murky or stained waters, try the hot pink or Hi-Vis bubblegum tube. The ebony tube can also be very productive just about anytime. Don't be afraid to troll a couple of different colors to help get a feel for what's hot on a given day!!

DarkSkies
08-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Just some pics to illustrate the most basic of the T&W rigs.

Remember the following....

1. The T&W without a sandworm is like a store bought fish rig without the hook. :beatin:

2. You can use other choices besides sandworms. Will they work?...sandworms are like crack to most fish. Wanna use something else?...:huh: be my guest, catch less fish. :learn:

3. Remember that a T&W setup will catch not only bass and blues, but other bottom fish as welll. Most of the online discussions speak about targeting bass and blues. We'll try to touch on other examples here.

4. There are a lot of technical things to remember for people who really get into this type of fishing. You can make it as complicated or simple as you want. I prefer simple, that's just me. ;)

5. Try to follow the basic presentation and methods, but don't be afraid to experiment with different styles based on the water you're fishing.

6. Color? ...Use any color ya want, as long as it's wine red! :laugh: :thumbsup:

and I'll try to add to this when I have time, or you guys feel free to add to it as well.

albiealert
08-26-2010, 01:20 PM
http://kayakcarl.com/

This guy is becoming pretty popular. A lot of kayakers fishing the islands of the Eastern Sound seem to be talking about his tubes because they have memory, and the wire lets you mold it however you want.
CGQbzczess8

DarkSkies
08-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks Albie, Kayak Carl has grown in popularity, and it's easy to see why. He puts a lot of thought into the tubes he makes and how they will present in the water.

Some people sent me some PMs and e-mails asking about the T&W. I'll preface this by saying there are quite a few guys out there who are amazingly talented at this. They're certifiable maniacs when it comes to T&W fishing. :clapping: That probably happens once you start to use this and see how it produces. It's addictive as hell. :dribble:

Others out there have a lot more experience doing this. To some of them, as mentioned, I have a deep gratitude for their generosity and patience in showing me. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

I'll try to list here some of the things that have worked for me.....

Remember the techniques I describe below are best suited to trolling shallow areas with structure. If you want to try other areas, such as bridges, etc, you'll have to decide how to modify the techniques accordingly. :fishing:

Tube and Worm techniques for shallow water with structure:

1. Depth: I'm fishing 5-15' of water, any deeper and it seems they won't hit. (That could have a lot to do with the weight, as mentioned in point #2) This T&W advice is tailored to fishing rocky shoreline and shallow flats with rocky areas.

2. Weight: Weight is anywhere from 3/4 - 1 oz, depending on the tide and area. This is an important factor. You want to be touching bottom at times without hitting it constantly and picking up a lot of weeds. One thing I learned is you have to be flexible enough to know when to change the weight at the different tide stages. If you're fishing low tide, you need to adjust, but you still need to troll structure and rocky shoreline, or points off those areas.

Variations: You would have to adapt differently in deeper water or when fishing different structure like bridges. For example, when fishing bridge areas, you might need 1-3oz in weight to get you down where the bass are holding. This would all depend on stage of tide, moon phase (which determines curent flow and strength), and where the fish are feeding on that particular night.

As for weights, some who have a better handle on it than me fit the weight right in the top body of the tube. This allows the T&W to move more naturally under water and makes it less susceptible to snagging.

If you don't want to do that, I would recommend you place a very short length of 100# leader right before the top swivel, and tie your egg sinker into that 4" length so it's as close to the swivel as possible.

Pics of the ones I use are in this thread:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=6408&page=5

3. Sandworms: if you think of a T&W as a "sandworm delivery system" you're already thinking better than most anglers. The tube and the action is what brings the fish in, the blood from the sandworm is what seals the deal and provokes the aggressive strikes.

Some people recommend a whole sandworm. I'm on a budget and can't afford to burn through 12 dozen each time out there. Also, bait stealers like porgies will peck at your offering without getting hooked when you have worm pieces dangling everywhere. I use a 1-2" piece, only enough to get the blood scent in the water, and change frequently. If you go 5-10 minutes without a hit, you're doing something wrong trolling, or you need to swap for a fresh worm piece. I generally get 3 baits out of each sandworm.

4. Tube size: different people have different theories on this. What has worked for me is 15-23". A good friend made me up some with #5 circle hooks. The hookup rate with these is great as they are all hooked in the mouth corners.

5. Colors: black and red are great colors. Others have done well using bubblegum color in murky or deeper water. I'm still experimenting and will be trying some smaller ones in bright primary colors with smaller hooks, for porgies.

The problem with smaller tubes is figuring the weight and kayak trolling speed combinations needed to keep them consistently near the bottom. The fish are always there when there is bait around. If you don't keep in contact with the bottom, you would never know that.

6. Trolling speed: Many recommend about 1mph. I don't have electronics right now, so my speed estimates are subjective. I try to keep in contact with the bottom. If the wind or current is pushing me faster than that, I have found it better to troll against either of those so I can better control the speed. In fact, when I really started paying attention to that and the presentation, I started catching more fish.

7. Presentation: A key mistake I made when I first started this was I didn't have the horizontal rod holders. You can get these "Scotty-type" at many kayak shops, or Cabelas. These allow your rod to be used like they do on the boats, with the T&W moving along the structure in a relatively smooth parallel action. Having the rods placed vertically hurts your hookup chances because the T&W will dance up and down too much, and the fish will miss it.

I compensate for this lack of proper holders by holding both rods tightly in a vice-like grip in my hands as I pedal along, kind of like Yosemite Sam. :viking:The rods are held at a right angle to the kayak and in a perfect horizontal direction from the water. I'll have the holders soon. In the meantime, the hits that come while you're holding the rods like this are like a jolt of lightning, and very addictive. :headbang:

DarkSkies
09-03-2010, 08:52 PM
6. Trolling speed: Many recommend about 1mph. I don't have electronics right now, so my speed estimates are subjective. I try to keep in contact with the bottom. If the wind or current is pushing me faster than that, I have found it better to troll against either of those so I can better control the speed. In fact, when I really started paying attention to that and the presentation, I started catching more fish.

I just wanted to repeat what I said here. Today the water was choppy, it was pretty windy, and there were some rollers. I also was fishing deeper water hoping for some surprises. I was using 1 oz egg sinkers all day. This made it a challenge when I trolled rocky areas, snagging was a regular occurrence. However, only by keeping in regular contact with the bottom was I able to get strikes. Whenever I had to speed up, rounding a corner, etc, the tube was not in the strike zone and I got no hits.

Also, I wouldn't say my speed was steady today. I slowed down or speeded up in response to water depth and bottom contour. The best results happened when I really paid attention to that. I'm doing this without electronics, so I kind of do it by "feel".

Others may have different solutions, but this is what works for me. :fishing:

DarkSkies
09-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Having the rods placed vertically hurts your hookup chances because the T&W will dance up and down too much, and the fish will miss it.

I compensate for this lack of proper holders by holding both rods tightly in a vice-like grip in my hands as I pedal along, kind of like Yosemite Sam. :viking:The rods are held at a right angle to the kayak and in a perfect horizontal direction from the water. I'll have the holders soon. In the meantime, the hits that come while you're holding the rods like this are like a jolt of lightning, and very addictive. :headbang:

Again I want to stress the importance of keeping those rods held horizontally. The guy I was fishing with yesterday hooked less bass than I did on the T&W. I was holding the rods horizontally, his were vertical. He's a great fisherman though, a true fanatic :thumbsup: and managed to get action going other ways.

But I wanted to try to illustrate the subtle difference that technique can sometimes make in your actual catch ratio.

I haven't had time to get the Scotty holders yet, so I'm still trolling like Yosemite Sam.

Yesterday was more of a challenge as there was lots of seaweed on the bottom where we were. You would have to stop and re-start every time you felt a slight weight on the tube. Otherwise the presentation is a waste of time if not done effectively. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

DarkSkies
09-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Yesterday's report:
"1.We each lost a few other fish on the T&W. I think the murky water may have had something to do with that. Visibility was at most 1-2'. The visibility of the water I usually fish T&W at is at least 6-8'. "

From my limited experience, I would recommend some different tactics trolling the T&W in murky water:
a. Brightly colored tubes - a bright yellow, bubblegum pink, flourescent orange or chartreuse tube may have a catching advantage in murky water.

"2. The wind was a steady 20mph, with sustained gusts of 25mph.
The wind made it a little tough for us as it was wind against tide for most of the morning. That can sometimes be to your advantage, I'll explain in the T&W thread in the kayak forums."

When the wind is blowing WITH the tide and the current is strong, the trolling speed may often be too fast. If you don't bounce bottom occasionally you're not fishing effectively. (Again, this is for shallow water areas, others may have techniques that work better for them).
Your job as a successful T&W fisherman is to figure out how best to present to the fish so they will see and have time to hit it, keeping it in the strike zone the longest.

Sometimes it's better to troll against the tide or wind. Vary your retrieve so you're bouncing bottom.

If the hits are light in murky water, it may be because the fish have trouble keying in on the tube to hit the hook. :learn:
Slow down your presentation or figure out a way to keep the tube in the strike zone longer.

DarkSkies
09-11-2010, 08:37 AM
If you're using this method right, you'll know because you'll start to rack up numbers. A lot of them will be small bass. Part of responsible fishing is to try to reduce the mortality rate of released fish.

I really don't take the fish out of the water unless I'm keeping it, and try to handle it as little as possible.

Circle hooks go a long way toward decreasing fish mortality, especially with T&W fishing.

I don't know if others are using these or not. Finchaser made me up a batch, and I have come to love fishing the tubes he made because of the hassle free, clean releases.

During the fall runs, I have seen surf fishermen drop or kick a short bass on the beach, or carelessly toss it into the water, all because they're too lazy to bend down a bit and release it the right way.

Why increase fish mortality if you have the choice not to? :don't know why:

These are baby bass we're talking about, a few extra seconds won't take away from your fishin time that much. :rolleyes:

For this reason, I'm grateful Finchaser hooked me up with the tubes he made. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

Monty
09-11-2010, 02:51 PM
:HappyWave: Great thread Dark. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

nitestrikes
09-11-2010, 04:10 PM
I haven't had time to get the Scotty holders yet, so I'm still trolling like Yosemite Sam.

With or without the handlebar mustache?:laugh: :HappyWave:

baitstealer
09-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Never fished t&W thanks for the advice.

vpass
09-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Dark, thanks for the info. Maybe next year in june I'll have a yak to try the T&W. I'm saving my pennies.:embarassed::plastered:

DarkSkies
09-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Ya don't have to wait till next year to try it out, V. All ya need is a way to put a yak on the top of your vehicle, and I'll take ya out there. Let me know, the fishin's worth the trip. :fishing: :HappyWave:

dogfish
09-13-2010, 01:58 PM
It seems like you're jumping through the learning curve right quick now.:HappyWave:
What ya gotta do Dark, is troll those suckers along the structure at night, or start fishing the bridges down by you. You would be surprised what lives on the bottom. Ramp up the weight a bit so you're about halfway down in the water column with your drift. You'll catch em up.:thumbsup:

dogfish
09-13-2010, 01:59 PM
With or without the handlebar mustache?:laugh: :HappyWave:

Love the yosemite sam pic!:ROFLMAO
yosemite dark!

DarkSkies
04-12-2011, 09:54 PM
2 day report

Mon PM - yak fished 3 hours in windy conditions, 1 short bass on T&W.
At first I planned to fish a few places, but the first stop proved difficult with the steady wind. I missed the flood tide as well, and had to fight against current for the duration. However, after hearing all the great yak reports for 4 days, I theorized some other places would be holding good bodies of fish for the artificial bite. I was dead wrong on this theory, and spent the 3 hours proving it to myself. In the end, I was able to scratch one small bass on a T&W. The lamemess of that was apparent, as I trolled past lots of structure. If there were a reasonable amount of bass there, I should have had more action.

Slightly discouraged and with a building wind, I bagged if for the night with the yak still on the car.

Tue AM- had a small window before it got snotty this AM. Had 1 hour to fish before work. Got to the party a little late. It seems some of the nicer fish are nailed right around sunrise. Managed 2 short yak bass on artificials. 13432

They're hitting the plugs hard on the troll. :viking: I initially started out much further than I needed to be until I realized the fish are in relatively tight.

I started trolling bombers but got no love with them. Switched to small flashy yo-zuris, and got action within a few minutes. I got 2 short bass after that, and had to stop to get to work. The tide was dropping out anyway, and you could see the action dropped with the dropping tide.... (I believe this is called EBB Tide....:bucktooth: :laugh:)

Met MSGDan (DannyV) out there and some of the guys he was with. He was giving pointers to a newbie, a younger kid who seemed very appreciative as Danny got him into a few fish. Despite his unselfishness, Danny remained high hook for the morning, getting into 15 fish to 36". 10 of these were 30" and better.

There were also a lot of small fish hooked as well, but the level of activity was the addicting part for me. Although I missed most of it, the little that I did experience will keep me coming me back until those fish spread out.

On the way in, I got a chance to talk with Dan a little more. I'm thinking about nominating this guy for a Kayak outdoorsman of the Year award. In a world where many fishermen, shore, yak, boat, are into it for the numbers and the ego, MSGDan is one of the old-school sportsmen, never too busy to help a new guy out or talk fishing. :thumbsup: And he's about as hard-core as they come. Nice to finally meet ya, Dan. :HappyWave:

I took some pics of his fish. Maybe if I get his permission, I'll post later. Quality fish, they seem to be eating well. :cool:

hookedonbass
07-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Tube n worm revisited

This came from kayakfishing, I think JonSchein wrote it? interesting read.

Several years back I was introduced to a deadly kayak fishing technique, the Tube in Worm (TnW). Over the past few years I’ve been fishing out of the area a lot and while in the area I’ve used other methods. The 6th Annual JBay Tournament reminded me just how effective a technique the TnW is. On Friday of the event I was chatting with a couple guys who caught 35 stripers between them on the rig while most people fishing that day only managed bluefish. When I was originally introduced to the TnW it was early August and my buddy JoeV caught over 30 bass that sultry morning. Speaking with another friend he told me last summer he did very well in the western Sound using it, also in August. A few years back I spent a few days at Cuttyhunk with Mike Laptew. He’s an underwater videographer and photographer. He wanted to get some kayak fishing shots. Mike snorkels and acts as a bird dog in the water spotting fish. The problem was things were off and he didn’t spot any stripers. I followed him towing a TnW and managed two nice bass. Mike said I pulled those fish out of the ether. That’s the power of the rig. I attended the Striper Shootout, held in Salem, MA and things were a bit slow. Again it was the ticket to catching a lot of fish. Last this past November I joined the crew from the NY KFA on a trip to the Cement Ships at Kiptopeke. A few of the guys decided to try the Bay Bridge and wanted to use the TnW. At the local bait shop there weren’t any sandworms but and the folks there told the guys the TnW didn’t work in these parts saying those northern techniques don’t work here. So they substituted with a Gulp! Sandworm and John landed a 49” striper. Ironically the bait shop was having a striper tournament over the weekend and the biggest http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/plugins/content/fboxbot/thumbs/carl4x4-TnW-weak_320x428_16e19e57890c1e7d32f9bda647799c16.jpg

bass was 38 pounds. John’s fish would have easily won the contest, so much for a Yankee fishing methods on Dixie bass. The rig works.

To refresh your memory the TnW consists of a surgical tube that’s rigged to spin. On the end is a piece of bait, usually a sandworm. To prevent the spinning tube from twisting the line most fishermen use either some high quality swivels or a rudder. When using a rudder I like to have it two feet above the tube. Rudders come in a few forms. The most common being a simple plastic one. The first rigs we got from JoeV had a plastic rudder in the system.

The TnW is essentially and attractor lure to get the fishes attention. Then they smell the bait and that triggers the strike. Sandworms are the most common bait put on the hook but bloods can be used too. I often call the TnW a sandworm delivery system. Guys have been using Gulp with good success too and it has worked for me. Carl 4x4, a TnW maker, makes a TnW he calls the stinky. It has material at the end. You fill the tube with a fish oil (can be bunker, shrimp, crab, whatever you prefer) and it leaves a scent trail in the water. It’s very convenient as bait isn’t always available and can be a hassle. Besides it gets expensive. The spinning tube gets the fishes attention and then they smell the bait. It is very effective and unlike many forms of bait fishing

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/plugins/content/fboxbot/thumbs/basspicinva2_498x294_4d1a30f7d8147aee278b0548921be 258.jpg (http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/images/basspicinva2.jpg)

it isn’t passive. Some people cast the rig off of jetties and structure but I don’t find it very practical from a kayak. In a kayak the technique is to troll. It’s a terrific search presentation because it allows you to cover a lot of water.

As to tackle anything will do but I suggest leaning well to the heavy side. That first day with JoeV I watched him lose two very big bass because his gear couldn’t keep those bass out of the rocks. I learned this lesson the hard way a couple weeks later using the rig for the first time. Joey, Doug and I were fishing Montauk at night when I hooked a fish that I was helpless to control. The fish took a lot of line on the first run, stopped, probably laughed, and then went on a second run and broke me off in the rocks. Now I use heavy braid, preferring 65 pound or heavier. I like a rod with some muscle too - something that can control a big fish. I go back and forth between spin and conventional gear. It you’re fishing shallow water a spin outfit is preferable. That’s because you’re going to want to cast the TnW to get it away from the kayak. Conventions aren’t as easy to cast. In deeper water it doesn’t matter. When using spin gear I prefer a 4500 sized reel and it’s usually teamed up with an Ugly Stik BWS1100, which is 8 feet and rated 1-4 oz. When using a conventional I use an Avet SX and a Tsunami rod, also eight feet.

I make my own rigs and mine is a modular system. That way I can replace any of the components. There are a couple reasons I suggest doing this. Hooks can and will rust out so I can replace the hook without destroying the rig. While the tubing is tough, bluefish also love the rig and eventually they will destroy it so the ability to replace the tube is nice. When I want the rig to run shallow I use a plastic rudder but at times it’s necessary to get deep. A couple days after the 6th JBay tourney a few of us hit the bay targeting the big tide runner weakfish. Unfortunately we didn’t find any and I think the bright sunshine was the reason. We marked plenty of fish in the channels but were only catching the occasional bluefish. George trolled two rigs and on one he replaced his rudder with a T-man rig, which is a wire rudder frame that allows barrel sinkers to be placed on it. This way you can control the depth. I had read online about the rigs and had made up a bunch of my own. As soon as George put one on he started banging bass. He got over a dozen to 33”. When George caught up to Eddie and me he told us of his success. I had several of my homemade T-Men in my TnW kit so I put one on and gave another to Eddie. We both started getting fish. Unfortunately the bluefish started getting thick but we did manage some nice bass and I even got a doormat fluke. Between the tube and the rudder there’s a leader of about two feet in length. I prefer heavy line and usually use 80 pound fluorocarbon or 100 pound mono. Why so heavy? That’s because when there’s structure around bass are going to head for it and even the heavy tackle might not prevent them from doing so. On that Cuttyhunk trip with Mike I had a fish fray my 80 pound leader and curl off half of it. With it sliced in half I effectively had 40 pound which was enough line left to land the 18 pound bass. If I had started with 40 pound it would have resulted in a lost fish and tube.

I have tubes in a variety of colors but haven’t found it to make much of a difference. My first tubes were burgundy red and it is the most common color. I also carry chartreuse and bubblegum pink. When I first learned about the TnW it was said to work great for Tuna and all sorts of species. I think I’m going to have to do some more experimenting with it and see what else succumbs to this fish catcher.

rockhopper
07-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Awesome thread! Makes me want to run right out and buy a kayak! I thought the hobie guys ruled in the game, but here is a video where john skinner nails em too, love to hear that fish run.:drool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7gawwTVhi0&feature=player_embedded#at=47

williehookem
07-29-2011, 09:26 PM
I would have never guessed you could catch bass that big on gulp and not the real thing.

DarkSkies
08-01-2011, 10:58 AM
A few reports:

Sat into Sun,
Fished LIS, lots of hours and pedalling.
Total 19 fish...
15 bass to 28", released.
3 giant porgies to 14".
1 bluefish.

Sun Pm...
Fished LIS, another area, first time fishing it.
Total 10 fish.
6 bass to 27".
4 porgies to 13".

Full report here...
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7866-LI-Sound-Nomad-fishing-2011

All on the Finchaser Tube and Worm. :clapping: :thumbsup: :fishing: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
08-01-2011, 11:22 AM
I'll start this by saying that I have tremendous respect for John Skinner. Haven't met him yet, but the quality of his writing and experience is so good that I learn something new every time I see one of his videos or how-to's.

Just have to report my experience with the Gulp and T&W.
Was fishing Sat night into Sun morning.

Got 15 bass on the T&W with sandworm, in the daytime.
I had 2 rods, one T&W I exclusively tipped with Gulp yellow grubs, They fit on there perfectly and the tail was enticing, at least to me it was.

Not one hit on that rig. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png
All the bass came on pieces of sandworms. I hardly ever use a whole sandworm, except at night.

I had one rod with braid, one with mono.
One tube was red, one was black.

Thinking that maybe the mono produced less than braid, and that black was not as productive as red (which was true, as I got no bass this time on black in the daytime), I switched the gulp from black tube to the red one, and back again, and switched the tubes from the braid to the mono, and back.

Neither Gulp presentation got any hits at all, even from porgies.

There may also be other factors at play....
1. The water in one area was murkier than usual, which may have given the red tube a distinct advantage.
2. It could be a braid vs mono thing, although I'm not convinced of that.
3. Maybe when John was demonstrating the Gulp effectiveness, it was earlier in the spring and the bass were more aggressive, more willing to hit different presentations.
4. He was kind of jigging his gulp a bit in his video. That extra movement may have been needed to get the fish to hit the gulp, I'm not sure either way. :huh:

As I said, I have tremendous respect for John Skinner. If someone wanted to learn how to be a better fisherman, all they would have to do is watch his videos and they would be halfway there. :thumbsup:

However, I have to honestly report what happened, in my experience.
At this point, I am slightly disappointed.

I WANTED gulp to be the magic formula.
I only know one place where sandworms are cheap and big, and I have to cross the GWB to get them. If someone gave me a better alternative that consistently worked, I would be the biggest proponent of it.

But for now, all I can say is I will still be experimenting with Gulp as a substitute.

For me, I have a sandworm bias, because I have seen them out-produce all other baits, big bass that won't hit anything else, bass in cold water, porgies that are scattered and not stacked... (some have said that clams work as well as sandworms for porgies, but I've seen first hand that when you're by yourself, and not chumming, sandworms out-produce clams 5:1)

So this experimenting, and commentary will be continued,,,,,

I hope to have better results and reports for Gulp in the future, we'll see.... :fishing:

DarkSkies
08-09-2011, 08:30 AM
48 hour trip to the Sound -
Got back last night, marathon trip, low budget. :cool: Slept in the car and lived like a nomad. Fished hard but it took time to learn the area. Fishing was honestly slow, but I still managed to eke out about a dozen fish. Nothing notable except for the 14" scupzillas I got in the morning yesterday. :headbang:Otherwise, a total of 4 short bass and 9 porgies up to 14". All on the T&W.

Full report in the nomad fishing 2011 thread.

DarkSkies
08-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Kayak marathon 8-12 LI Sound

The brief outline...:laugh:
Went back to the place of current with a better plan to fish different areas at different parts of the tide.

The wind and weather made me re-evaluate my plan.
Some funny stories about that.
Fished hard all night in swells that were mostly 1', but at times up to 3' and causing me concern. Therefore, I stuck to shore even though I was in open water, and believe me, in the dark of night with those swells, it was big water. Even beached the yak for a 15 minute period as I re-evaluated how to deal with the raging current.

Went back out and fished hard, not much to show for it.

Total 2 big porgies on the T&W & one small bluefish on a NB Bottle darter I was trolling.
Not one indication of any bass, big or small.

Pretty disappointed in myself and at those results, I drove a long distance to another location to fish the flood tide, almost all of it. Met up with another yakker from KFS-NY, and we talked about the Nissy incident and safety issues. Good talks.

We were both out there fishin hard, but the weeds were all over and a problem for presentation. I managed 2 monster porgies right before sunset and one small bass on Finchaser's T&W with the circle hook. The circle hook was key here because the other guy, definitely an experienced angler and good yak fisherman, was having trouble with the porgies stealing his bait. Together with the weeds and warm water, he took his leave and said good-bye before the top of the tide.

I continued to fish that warm and weedy water, just looking for that one quality fish. Tried all sorts of different presentations to deal with the weeds, some worked.

Didn't want to leave without getting a nice fish, so kept at it.
Managed some more giant porgies, no small ones (but many small ones acting as a nuisance stealing the worm).

Finally got into some feeding bass 1 hour after the tide turned, into the ebb. They were turned on at that time, and I believed I could have got more if I didn't have to make it home in time for a trip with Pebbles. :kiss:

Total for the entire trip:
9 porgies to 14", T&W
1 small bluefish, NB Darter
2 bass--- 28", and the one that made me smile, 37" and about 15#. :)
Both released.

The first time in a long time that I "left the fish biting". :fishing:

Full report and pics in the nomad fishing thread.

DarkSkies
08-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Yes it does work, but it requires more finesse, strategy, and the key to success here, similar to the real estate mantra, is.....

presentation, presentation, and presentation..... :)

To break that down for others to understand better. some things that have worked for me...

1. Braid only at night, you need to feel every extra 1/2 oz or oz that is on that line.

2. If it feels heavier, you need to reel in and re-position it immediately. Any weeds or substance on that hook other than the worm will kill your effectiveness and attraction.

3. Washed out worms. If you are not getting hit at least every 5 minutes in the area you're trolling, either the bait is washed out or the fish aren't there in numbers, and you should move elsewhere if you can. Now is the time to make that big move!

4. Fresh bait, and lots of it.....I have caught fish in the daytime on a worm that was dragging in the water for 10 or 15 minutes, but that was when they're stacked. If not, without fresh bait and fresh bloodk you are wasting your time and might as well be home. :rolleyes:
In the daytime, I can get 3-4 uses out of one worm, as I only thread on a small piece to discourge the porgies, those bait-stealing bastids! http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon8.png
In the night, I am back to using 1 worm at a time, so it costs more to fish the night bite.

Fail to pay attention to these words, and you won't catch any Quality fish. In fact, you will swear to your friends that they just aren't there.
Think about it,.....a bass finds the T&W at night because of the underwater vibration detected by it's lateral lines.

How does it know it's food?? ...the blood from the worm, and the soft texture when they mouth it. Chintz out on that and you will score very few bass.

porgy75
08-19-2011, 05:02 PM
wow it seems you are a fanatic about fishing when you are out there! Thanks for the info.

DarkSkies
08-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Fished the RB Fri morning, last 2 hours of flood, first 2 of ebb.

Perfect conditions, water was like a lake.

2 short bass, 3 blues.
Bass on T&W.
Blues trolling small diving swimmer.

I know the area I was fishing, so I was confident I would catch a fish or 2.
The most disturbing thing to me was all the shoreline I trolled that was "dead water", with only small pockets of bait and snappers here and there.

Previously productive areas of structure were a vast wasteland of warm water and an all-encompassing algae bloom.

No action in shore area except for small hits on the T&W, nothing on different swimmers.

All the fish I got were concentrated in one area of structure, minimum of 15-20' of water. They were only there for the top of the tide. By 7:30am the action was completely done.

Pedalled back through green scum algae. It was prevalent through at least the top foot of the water column.

I felt like I was fishing in a toilet.

The waters of LI Sound have really spoiled me.
Also, I knew weakfish, kingfish, bass and other creatures were packed into JBay, and was wistfully looking over there across as I dealt with the scum-saturated water where I was. :drool:

(the bite in Jbay did slow down that day, but lucky Eli, the human fishfinder, fishing a live eel in deep water, hooked into a 6' dusky shark he fought for a 1/2 hour. Fantastic fight, bro, wish I was there with you guys. :clapping: :headbang:

Calm pre-dawn launch

The water was so calm you could see the mirror reflection of the T&W in the water.

Sunrise on the water

Bass aggressive on the Finchaser T&W. The bass action only lasted for 15 minutes. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

This was the scum that was in the water along the shoreline. Hopefully the storms will break up some of this organic growth. It's nasty.

fishinmission78
10-18-2011, 08:36 PM
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:By John Skinner, this guy is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAlwxs93axM

rockhopper
10-18-2011, 09:12 PM
He's also a good sport. I read on another site where they guys in the boat mugged him. You can hear him asking them to give him some space in the video. Then after asking the guys to take a pic of him with the bass, he ended up giving it to them. Must have really made their day, and it shows what a stand up guy John Skinner is. Great fish, I need to get a kayak!