PDA

View Full Version : The bite and the storm

porgy75
08-31-2010, 06:51 PM
The surf is going to be churning up because of the storm. Is it going to be too rough to catch fish, or will they bite more?

DarkSkies
09-01-2010, 08:32 AM
I have a good friend who times all his fishing trips by the barometric changes, Porgy. He, and others, will swear that right before a Noreaster or N/NE or N/NW storm pattern is the time to be out there fishing hard. Afterward, I feel the fishing suffers because it takes the churned up water a while to get back to normal. There are always examples people will use to counter this. If bait in in the surf on its yearly migration, the bite could resume more quickly.

Of course, safety comes first. You never want to put your life in danger over catching a fish.

But the hours leading into a severe storm will sometimes put the fish on the feed bag big time. If you want to add science to it, watch for the variations in barometric pressure, and add that info to your fishin log. :learn:

fishinmission78
09-01-2010, 09:37 AM
^ What Dark said. My rule - fish up to 2 hours before the rain hits, depending on the surf. Then get the hell out of there. I have nailed some high teen fish that way.

nitestrikes
09-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Northeasters are over-rated. You can bang fish before, but like it has been said above, it ruins the fishing for at least a few days after. At Montauk or a NE facing beach, like Block, it can be a killer bite. For some of the beaches on the north shore, it does nothing good but cloud up the water.

VSdreams
09-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Good sound advice guys, thanks.

storminsteve
09-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Hey I thought I would grab a surfboard and strap a rod on the side, go out and do some trolling, who's with me?:kooky: :laugh:

plugaholic
09-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Cowabunga!:plastered:

seamonkey
09-25-2010, 04:55 PM
I used to have some good fishing days during the noreaster's. It seems as if lately things have slowed down all around.

williehookem
03-21-2011, 04:22 PM
What the storms do is make everything murky. Then you are forced to use clams or bunker because the bass will have to rely on their sense of smell.

buckethead
09-21-2012, 02:40 PM
What the storms do is make everything murky. Then you are forced to use clams or bunker because the bass will have to rely on their sense of smell.

I agree with that but only partly. During the mullet run I feel the northeast wind and waves keeps the mullet disorganize and then the bass and blues can swoop in on them. Seen it happen 2 mornings in a row so far this month.