PDA

View Full Version : Swimmer dies in Asbury surf

DarkSkies
08-31-2010, 10:06 PM
This is breaking news as the story develops, so some details might be changed. Speedy called it in. He was out walking the surf in Asbury. Apparently a Dad took his 2 kids swimming around 6:30pm tonight.

They all got caught up in the rip current. The Dad was able to save his 9 year old son, but the 23 year old got dragged under and disappeared.

Rescue personnel were called. People responded from as far away as Shark River. There was a valiant effort, but when I heard it he still had not been recovered. This is a sad tragedy no matter how you look at it. They said the father collapsed on the beach when he heard the 23 year old couldn't be found.

My deepest thoughts and prayers to the family. :(

DarkSkies
08-31-2010, 10:12 PM
This allegedly happened in front of the area by the Stone Pony.
Asbury has strong rip currents. The pending hurricane would likely increase these currents.

We've fished the 8th Ave Jetty and some of the other rockpiles down there. It's great from a fishermen and surfer's perspective because of the strong current. Fish love that current.

But it can also be deadly, as it proved again tonight. There are those who might feel more caution could have been taken in a case like this. I might agree with that. What is clear to me is that a famiily out there has lost a member, because of a terrible accident. That person will never be at the Holiday table with their relatives again, will never have another chance to laugh and play at the beach.

It rips my guts up thinking about the lost potential, when a person so young dies tragically.
If any of these words reached you, maybe you could hug your family extra tight tonight.

I'll put up a thread of some refresher tips for rip currents. Anyone who wants to add, feel free.

storminsteve
09-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Rip currents will get you. The one at Sandy Hook is a killer. Also, even the first few parking lots, the surf can be dangerous as the water rips out through the cuts in the bar. Be careful out there guys.
RIP for the missing swimmer.

bababooey
09-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Search to resume for missing NJ swimmer

By NANCY SHIELDS • Gannett/The Asbury Park (N.J.) Press • September 1, 2010

ASBURY PARK, N.J. — Dive and rescue teams and the Coast Guard were expected to resume their search this morning for a city man who went swimming at the Second Avenue beach and disappeared in the water Tuesday evening.

The search for Franky Lezin, 23, will resume with the Coast Guard at first light with city and other divers coming in at 8 a.m., said Asbury Park Fire Official Garrett Giberson.

But the mood was grim with the passage of time as many members of Lezin's Haitian-American family and community gathered on the boardwalk along with many passers-by who watched the water outside a roped-off area.

Lezin was last seen about 30 yards off the beach in approximately 10 feet of water, Giberson said as city firefighter and Ocean Township police divers and city police were joined by the Area Network of Shore Water Emergency Responders.

Lezin was swimming after lifeguards went off duty at 5 p.m. A nephew who was in the water with Lezin told police that the current was taking him out but he grabbed onto a rope in the bathing area and pulled himself to safety.

There were no rip currents at that time although a small current was developing shortly afterward, Giberson said.

A third person was in the water with Lezin and the nephew but that swimmer apparently made it to shore safely, authorities said.

Police stayed with the family members. Emergency lighting was brought in at 7:45 p.m. but then shut down at 8 p.m. when the search was suspended.

Asbury Park has not had a drowning in five years, and Beach Safety Supervisor Joe Bongiovanni, one of the first to try to save Lezin, was distraught after the search was suspended.

"He had a body board with him and we're not sure if he fell off or got off," Bongiovanni said. "There's no reason for this. People come down after hours and think it's OK but they don't understand how much lifeguards do to keep people safe."

He said the continued search could be compromised by an expected big surf from Hurricane Earl.

speedy
09-01-2010, 12:25 PM
from news 12 search was called off because of water was bad high waves and the rip was getting bad they said for today

rip316
09-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Very sad.

gjb1969
09-01-2010, 05:06 PM
I wish his family well in this hard time

basshunter
09-02-2010, 09:40 PM
There are several beaches on LI closed to swimming and surfing now. I saw on the news that there was over 50 rescues today along.

It's too bad people to not pay attention to the warnings.

rip316
09-03-2010, 12:00 PM
People that take risks such as not obeying the beaches closed to swimmimg are putting the lifeguards lives at stake as well. It is just plain stupid if you ask me.

speedy
09-03-2010, 07:44 PM
People that take risks such as not obeying the beaches closed to swimmimg are putting the lifeguards lives at stake as well. It is just plain stupid if you ask me.
another one in belmar 20 year old and did not know how to swim:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::don't know why::don't know why::don't know why::don't know why: