PDA

View Full Version : NJ fishing reports for September 2010

DarkSkies
09-02-2010, 07:17 AM
NJ fishing reports for September 2010
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
IBSP - Island Beach State Park
LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
AI - Absecon Inlet
CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
CMC - Cape May County
CMR - Cape May Rips
GEI - Great Egg Inlet
TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
BB - Barnegat Bay
CB - Chesapeake Bay
CBBT - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
DB - Delaware Bay

DarkSkies
09-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Buckethead...

you won the plug in the August random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:
PM me your address so I can send it out to ya!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits, or something similar.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)

Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site! :clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&thumb=1&d=1238965319 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&d=1238965319)

storminsteve
09-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Fished the rocks again in moco this morning, one micro bass 20" on the teaser. Surf was big, I had to use a a27 in back of the teaser.

chas527
09-02-2010, 12:57 PM
fished sh this morning 7 till 1130 .got 4 small fluke 3 sea robbons and 2 nice snapper blues, that i just had for lunch.lots of small bait jumping all over.water was calm but dirty.

DarkSkies
09-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Fished last night in the yak trying to get a jump on the forecast bad weather conditions. Got 4 bass 24-26" on the T&W before it got dark, then spent a few hours playing with slab porgies to 14".

Same drill again this morning. Slept in the yak on the beach. Up at 6, long paddle, first bass by 8AM, 30" on T&W, released. Rounded out the morning with an 8#bluefish and a 27" bass, plus some more slab porgies I managed to find, and a few short ones.

The weather really did not turn out as bad as they forecast for the bay area I fished. I could have stayed there for another night but had things to do. The T&W is becoming very addictive thing for me. :dribble: It magically draws bass to it, even when it appears there are none around.

Full report in the kayak fishin reports thread.

rip316
09-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Good job Dark. Maybe we will have to slap your extra yak on the roof of my truck after all.

vpass
09-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Sounds like alot of fun. Nice porgies. I will get a yak one day. I've been say that for a few years now.:embarassed:

jigfreak
09-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Fished a bridge for the first of the outgoing this morning before sunrise. 1 schoolie bass on a storm shad.

c4charlie
09-06-2010, 09:24 AM
Took my little guy on Saturday down to MOCO. He loves horse so I stopped by Monmouth Park and stayed for a couple races. Bet $4 on the first one and then $8 on the next race. We picked 12-1 and sure enough we hit a nice $64.80 exacta. It was a lot of fun and the little guy got to see the horses he loves so much.

Then we decided to look out back for some fishing. Found these two little guys fishing with their mom trying to catch snappers with a 7/0 hook and big marshmallow size squid balls. They were there for a while and not catching at all.
We assisted them by downsizing their hook and cutting the squd strips to 3 inch or so to match the spearing that were abundant. They started getting bites almost instaneously and caught one right away.

I said good luck and we moved down a bit. We were offered some fresh spearing by some other fishermen that were there. We used them and caught a bunch of snappers.

I noticed the initial kids were leaving and the mom said thanks and that they caught a couple each. Felt really good helping them out. They were all happy.

Another great day in MOCO. Didn't see any big fish. Was going to go out front but the wind was blowing hard and I was with my 4 yr old. He really had a great day and so did I. :)

rip316
09-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Awesome report C4

rip316
09-06-2010, 10:45 AM
I had the great pleasure of meeting and fishing with Monty today. We fished NOMOCO. He intoduced to a different type of fishing today that I have not done yet. Fishing rubber Hogy's. Not very hard. He had a couple of bumps but did not hook up. Went to another spot and finished out the day. Fished the entire incoming and the start of the outgoing.. Water was very clean and definitley looked like it was going to be a productive day. All I caught was one 17 1/2" fluke that hit a rubber shad like a truck. Monty hooked up with a small blue and had some hits on rubber also. Fished from about 1:30am until 8:00. I feel that the water is still way too warm. JMO. Looking forward to meeting some more of you guys in the future. Thanks again Monty

gjb1969
09-06-2010, 12:03 PM
i feel the same rip the water is still warm but who knows all we need is some bait to school up it could happen:don't know why:

LennyD
09-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Thanx for the report rip!
Cant wait to get out,
yes, i think the water needs to cool off a little bit. as we know below 60 is good the best is below 55!

DarkSkies
09-06-2010, 03:33 PM
I took Pebbles for a quick yak trip today before all the Holiday boaters and fishermen would be out there. It was a little too sunny and I think some extra traffic put the fish off the bite.

She still managed 3 bass on the T&W, on one of Finchaser's tubes. Full report in the kayak fishing thread.

He intoduced to a different type of fishing today that I have not done yet. Fishing rubber Hogy's....Fished the entire incoming and the start of the outgoing.. All I caught was one 17 1/2" fluke that hit a rubber shad like a truck. Monty hooked up with a small blue and had some hits on rubber also. Fished from about 1:30am until 8:00. I feel that the water is still way too warm. JMO. Looking forward to meeting some more of you guys in the future. Thanks again Monty

Monty won't give up, he's tenacious when fishin. :thumbsup:
If you guys couldn't find fish in that area, that could be because they aren't thick yet. Fishing on the LI shores is pretty consistent now, but only started shaping up in the last 2 weeks as far as surf fishing goes. I'm hoping that the same things start happening here soon. As you guys hypothesized, it's all about the water temps.

Or, if you find extreme concentrations of mullet or peanuts, the fish should be there as well.

LennyD
09-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Rich, you kicking ***! I mean Bass!:HappyWave:
Same Place????

I
She still managed 3 bass on the T&W, on one of Finchaser's tubes. Full report in the kayak fishing thread.
[/COLOR][/B]

DarkSkies
09-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Lenny, it's a paradise, as far as I'm concerned one of the best kayak fishin areas in the tri-state right now. :drool: :fishing:

It's not that easy though. The only people catching bass consistently there now are the kayakers with the T&W, a few fly fishermen using very small presentations, guys in boats who are lucky enough to find bass and blues crashing adult bunker, or the boats that go out at night and chunk them with the blues in 60' of water. But if you talk to some of the shore fishermen you would swear that not many bass were around. :huh:

And, although I like the action, after awhile you get bored with small bass when you know the bigger ones are there. The only thing is... the bigger ones, especially for a day bite, are in areas that are more isolated. That means ya gotta paddle out to where they are, and as I said, sometimes the locations change from rockpile to rockpile.

The concentrations of bait out there at night are amazing. Last week I was all by myself near a bunch of rocks. Ever see that video where the Asian carp jump out of the water? Well the other night the spearing were jumping out of the water by the hundreds every time I shined my headlamp on them. It was amazing, I wish I could have taken a video to show you guys. :wow:

Monty
09-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Rip, I had a great tme. Good talking fishing with you and the water on both areas looked great. Was a fun morning.

I had the great pleasure of meeting and fishing with Monty today. We fished NOMOCO. He intoduced to a different type of fishing today that I have not done yet. Fishing rubber Hogy's. Not very hard. He had a couple of bumps but did not hook up. Went to another spot and finished out the day. Fished the entire incoming and the start of the outgoing.. Water was very clean and definitley looked like it was going to be a productive day. All I caught was one 17 1/2" fluke that hit a rubber shad like a truck. Monty hooked up with a small blue and had some hits on rubber also. Fished from about 1:30am until 8:00. I feel that the water is still way too warm. JMO. Looking forward to meeting some more of you guys in the future. Thanks again Monty

LennyD
09-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Rich, maybe this weekend we could go there. i'd love to try it.
Guys fishing out front in NOMOCO on kayaks, they catching blues, the sand eels are out there.
gonna try to go out front this week or weekend.

DarkSkies
09-06-2010, 06:07 PM
The bass are there too for kayakers and some NJ surf guys and Dirty Water Anglers, but not in any great numbers or consistency yet like they have been in LI.

I'm actually more interested in the big blues that some NJ yakkkers have been hitting 1/2 mile offshore. To me they're worthy adversaries because they're ready to fight to the death, and then some. :viking: Last year I was catching those monsters in the back consistently by Aug, this year it's hit and miss. :(

Ya got my number bro, give me some notice ahead of time when ya wanna hit it up. :HappyWave:

LennyD
09-06-2010, 07:26 PM
ok Rich!
i'll keep checking the wind and stuff. let u know when im going!
last year i was out front with my yak even in december!

clamchucker
09-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Fished the park today, a few small blues and one short bass around sunrise. Diamond jig with teaser. Happy Labor Day to all the folks here and their families.

jigfreak
09-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Moco right before dark, 2 short bass on a SS needle. I was snagging some sandeels, they're here. Happy labor day to you too clamchucker and others.

rip316
09-07-2010, 06:28 AM
Tnx Clamchucker. You too bro.

cowherder
09-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Fished nomoco from 6-7, nothing doing. Was using rubber shads, bombers, and bucktails. One sea robin on the bucktail.

rip316
09-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Next time I go fishing I will be using eels or clams. Seems to me that plugging has not been working that much lately.

finchaser
09-08-2010, 10:16 AM
this am 5:30 to 7:30 4 bass to 29" no bait involved:d

rip316
09-08-2010, 03:24 PM
And you didn't invite me. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. LOL

plugaholic
09-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Wow great catches guys. I threw metal before dark for a few small blues at an inlet. What were you using finchaser if you don't mind my asking?

LennyD
09-08-2010, 09:39 PM
nice catch finchaser, thanx for the report!

SharkHart
09-08-2010, 11:36 PM

I knew youd be out and into fish when i felt that NW howling:thumbsup:

DarkSkies
09-09-2010, 07:51 AM

I knew youd be out and into fish when i felt that NW howling:thumbsup:

I think the saying goes something like.....
NW is best, eff all the rest! :2flip: :laugh:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5418&highlight=west+wind+wally

:clapping::clapping: His first appearance fishing from land in 2 months, and Fin finds the bass! Way to :beatin: the youngbloods, OGB in da house. :thumbsup:

c4charlie
09-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Between Yukon and I caught we caught five species of fish last night.
I got 3 stripers, 1 short fluke and 1 small bluefish. It was my first time out this season.

Stripers went for small Yozuri, little Rebel and I was really happy when I got one on an RM Sandeel. It was a bit difficult to fish the smaller lures with the sweep but if you get them to dig a bit right away, they stay in the zone.

I am not going to tell you how many bites i got and on and off fish because I do not want to embarrass myself.

Stripers were 20-22" or so. They were just lipping or barely hitting all of the small lures I cast. Action was less as the tide dropped.

jigfreak
09-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Last night on the incoming, a lot of spike weaks on metal and rubber jigs, and a few small blues, in front.

fishinmission78
09-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Fished a few places in OC this morning. There were bluefish at sunrise, then I managed an albie about 6lbs. All on metal.

finchaser
09-09-2010, 02:31 PM
This AM 5:30 to 7:30 a small bass and 11 bluefish all on metal

cowherder
09-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Wow you guys are really hitting them hard! Congrats!

buckethead
09-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Went to the back bay used some bombers and then tried to switch it up with metals. Still got nothing.

hookedonbass
09-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Out front last night at 8pm, caught a bass on a bucktail, OC.

DarkSkies
09-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Went with G yesterday to find and mug Finchaser. ;) The nite bite was not that productive, so far it's shaping up better as a dawn and morning bite. Anyway, we looked for any Grouchy Basstards on the beach, and kept moving along till we found the original OGB himself. :laugh:

We set up and started fishin the surf on the flood tide. He and G each dropped a fish, and that was it. Since we felt the fish were scattered, we moved on. We continued to try different small presentations, and found encouraging amounts of bait, mostly loads of spearing, and some mullet. But it was not to be.

Finchaser wisely called it a night. :learn: Sometimes even the sharpies don't catch fish. They also know when it ain't happening. :thumbsup:

G and I however, let ego get in the way. We didn't want to go home with the taste of :skunk: and hit a few more places. On the 2nd to last stop, I had a small fish blow up on the magdarter. We left anyway because fish were small and scattered. Spearing were there by the thousands, offering an easy meal for any fish.

At the last stop, we each had a few hits but no real hookups. G had a few surface blowups on the small presentations he was throwing, mine were on rubber. Fin, G, and I had each used some nice teasers during the night, nothing on them either.

We stayed too long at that spot, playing around with small and scattered fish. (A big change from last fall when 10-15# bluefish and some teen bass were available almost every night in the back bay areas. ) Hey, that's fishin! :fishing:

Today:
Met early AM with a friend to do some kayak fishin in Dirty Water. Managed 4 small bass to 22" in windy conditions, full report in the Dirty Water Anglers thread.

fishinmission78
09-11-2010, 08:48 AM
A few small bass in Moco this morning, bomber with teaser.

cowherder
09-11-2010, 03:46 PM
I got a 24" bass in nomoco on a yellow mambo minnow, fished from 6-7am.

storminsteve
09-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Inspired by the great reports I went out looking for albies today. Only managed a few small blues on a DD.:don't know why:

rip316
09-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Me and Cardoc did the same. Fished Monmouth County areas from 430 until 830. Saw a lot of bait out there. Looked like spearing. Can't stay out there all day playing the waiting game. Been putting a good amount of time in lately and not getting anything for my efforts. Have not run into anything. Been getting solid info from friends but just not putting it together. Hopefully soon. Starting to get aggravated. Losing sleep, spending money, and have a family to take care of as well.

bababooey
09-12-2010, 07:48 AM
We had a few nice albie and blues blitzes yesterday about 500' off IBSP. Albies to 8lbs blues to 14. All on deadly ***** and avas with green tail.

wish4fish
09-12-2010, 07:59 AM
small bluefish last nite in the back, on bunker, around midnite, they were also catching some other small baitfish and the mexicans were keeping them all i guess it was legal i never seen these kind of fish in the back.

basshunter
09-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Caught two small bass in nomo, last night on the outgoing. Weapon of choice was a black bomber. Hope to get out again tonight.

Monty
09-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Fished the complete incoming this morning with metal, plugs and rubber and got this one nice picture. Water looked great, loved the weather, no crowds. One shot at fish blasting bait, just a few yards to far out and only for a couple minutes.

vpass
09-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Monty, that's a beautiful picture. I'm hoping to see that seen soon. I haven't been out since first week of May. it's killing me.:don't know why::plastered:

LennyD
09-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Monty, thats an absolutely gorgeous picture!

storminsteve
09-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Fished the complete incoming this morning with metal, plugs and rubber and got this one nice picture.

I fished today and got :skunk:
Threw the bag, nada. Great pic, Monty.

rip316
09-12-2010, 08:57 PM
I know that I should not spot burn. Should not post where we catch fish but I want to post where I have not caught fish. I fished for a couple of hours this evening and did not see a damn thing. Very disappointed again. I fished Sandy Hooks Southern beaches first. NADA. No birds, bait, fish or fishermen.
I then went river/ bayside to get out of the wind. I fished Plum Island and A big part of Horeshoe Cove. Same results. I threw rubber, metal, needles, plugs, bombers and bucktails. Nothing for my efforts. Absolutely not a sign of life. I could not even get a horseshoe crab to grab my foot. I hope this is not a sign for the future. I still want to catch fish. Will keep my head up though.

storminsteve
09-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Umm, the horseshoe crabs have been gone from there for a few months now, dude.:d
I got skunked today too. It happens. I thought for sure the albacore would be available, I saw no signs of them. That's why they call it fishing, not catching. Keep the faith, bigger fish should be here soon.

finchaser
09-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Did the boat thing tonight 8 to 11PM in the back guess you could say I had the inshore grand slam all on jig and rubber

4) bass to 18"
1) Fluke 19"
1) weakfish 13"
1) bluefish
1) huge shad

gjb1969
09-12-2010, 11:49 PM
glad to see someone is geting fish but keep your chin up rip u will get fish we all will i have faith:fishing::HappyWave:

Monty
09-13-2010, 07:11 AM
I could not even get a horseshoe crab to grab my foot. I hope this is not a sign for the future.

They will be back......but it will be a long fall and winter.....:laugh:

rip316
09-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement there Monty. lol

hookset
09-14-2010, 06:47 AM
Late Report, moco yesterday morining from 4 to 8. Saw lots of bait. Had some fresh bunker with me I lost one schoolie as it hit the wash.

DarkSkies
09-14-2010, 07:20 AM
They will be back......but it will be a long fall and winter.....:laugh:

Looks like a cluster eff there, Monty. :plastered:
Once the crabs bond with your wader boots, it's almost impossible to get rid of them.
:scared:

Fishing report 9-13-10

Fished through the storm on the kayak, got 11 bass to 28", and some dinner plate porgies. Report in the kayak fishing reports thread. :fishing:

chas527
09-14-2010, 02:06 PM
fished the hook this morning .lots of bait in the water .saw albacore jumping all over tried eveything coun't hookup . did't see any body catch any either.

VSdreams
09-14-2010, 05:58 PM
I fished somoco this morning, got a few blues. The albacore came by but they were in and out in a flash. I sure would like to catch one.

clamchucker
09-15-2010, 12:39 PM
I fished somoco this morning, got a few blues. The albacore came by but they were in and out in a flash. I sure would like to catch one.

VS, you have to be patient, and try to cast ahead of the school. It's not that easy to do when they are fast moving, but if you look at it strategically, you will do better. They are feeding heavily for the past few days. I got 3 yesterday in moco when they were hitting small baitfish not too far out for about an hour. Above all, do not run after them, it is a waster of time.

This morning only a few small blues, all on a deadly ****.

fishinmission78
09-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Fished the park 6-8am, incoming tide. :skunk:

storminsteve
09-15-2010, 08:24 PM
I was at a nomoco beach looking for albies. Got out there as soon as I could after work, but it seemed they weren't going to show late in the day. Threw metal, and later switched to chicken scratch bombers, fished 5-7:30, nothing for me.

seamonkey
09-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Hit a SJ empty surf spot from 7 to 10 today, hoping for some kings or spot with bloods and fishbites. The surf started to get a little rough, only got a few sea robins for my efforts.

wish4fish
09-16-2010, 03:10 PM
we got sum small round fish last night fishin in the back, we were using small pieces of clam and fishing near the rocks. and one small blue on the clam he must of been hungry, the big ones took off somewhere i dont know lol

captnemo
09-16-2010, 03:27 PM
w4f, did they look like this? These spot have been around the bays and rocky areas, this year they are in areas you usually don't find them in.

wish4fish
09-16-2010, 03:47 PM
yeah dude thats the fish thanks! ima take a few in a bucket and try to liveline one off a bridge.

hookset
09-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Late report, got an albie yesterday on a t-hex. I moved to 2 different areas before I got one, they were moving fast!

porgy75
09-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Great going hookset. I have seen others get them but never caught one yet. Way to go!

bababooey
09-16-2010, 06:00 PM
We got some big blowfish and some kingfish on clams yesterday in Barnegat bay. I would love to see them make a comeback.

rip316
09-17-2010, 06:31 AM
For the last 3 years around the first week of Sept. They have been showing up in BB. Guys have some pretty good catches of em.

storminsteve
09-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Nomoco sunrise. Got 2 small bass to 24" on a teaser and ava combo. Bass hit the teaser.Surf was a little rough, no evidence of albies where I was, though I did try blind casting for them.

cowherder
09-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Fished after work tonight NoMoCo. Got one swipe on a yellow danny plug, couldn't get it to hit again.

finchaser
09-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Fished with Killie this AM 5:30 to 7:30 out front

I had 3 bass
Killie had 3 bass and a fluke

We had fish on plugs , metal and jig head with rubber tail, fish wanted no part of teasers.

rip316
09-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Fin, were you fishing the area you told me to go to last week this morning? I went there with my bro in law. He got 3 short bass on clam and 1 fluke. I threw the bag again and got the skunk. Why do I suck so bad.

LennyD
09-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Fished SOMOCO this am, 5-9am. got 1 bass @ 25" , saw lots of birds out about 1/2mile, fish were splashing under them, real fall view.
Water is still too warm.

finchaser
09-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Fin, were you fishing the area you told me to go to last week this morning? I went there with my bro in law. He got 3 short bass on clam and 1 fluke. I threw the bag again and got the skunk. Why do I suck so bad.

Check your PM plugging takes time to master your retrieve and feel the plug swim it's about presentation and covering allot of water. It's not a no brainier like clam fishing where you sit and wait and hope for a fish to swim by.:D Keep trying it will come, and you will soon out produce the clammers

rip316
09-18-2010, 08:41 PM
I sure hope so. I have been trying to put myself in the right situation to catch and have been putting in a decent amount of time on the water.

DarkSkies
09-18-2010, 11:07 PM
Fished with Killie this AM 5:30 to 7:30 out front

I had 3 bass
Killie had 3 bass and a fluke

We had fish on plugs , metal and jig head with rubber tail, fish wanted no part of teasers.

Wow!!!! :plastered: :clapping::clapping: :thumbsup: :eek: :wow: :cool: :birthday::viking::bigeyes: :fishing:

I couldn't be more amazed than if all the members of Congress on Monday voluntarily surrendered their medical benefits and pledged to begin paying them out of their own pocket. :eek:

I'm most impressed that Killie actually made it out there instead of coming up with 25 excuses why he couldn't. :kiss:

Will wonders never cease....;) :HappyWave:

Glad to see ya's got out there, congrats to all who were out today whether ya caught or not. I heard the swell was pretty strong. :thumbsup:

c4charlie
09-18-2010, 11:56 PM
I was out last night and caught 7 bass up to 32" around some rockpiles. Thanks to madbomber, I decided to go with a bigger lure than I would usually fish in the fall and the bass really liked it. I found this great rip next to a jetty that had some serious current and sure enough, the bass found it as well. Had to time the casts with the waves to get in the strike zone at the right time.

I had a real good time last night. Took home the keeper, filleted this morning and my wife did an incredible job cooking. Got some pics but they are still on the digital.

Today I took the kids out for some ocean fishing. I ABSOLUTELY HATE THE DAYTIME FISHING and got zilch. I just can't see anything in the daytime.

rip316
09-19-2010, 07:41 AM
Good for you C4

captnemo
09-19-2010, 09:18 AM
We went out to fish the Shrewsbury Rocks yesterday, but the seas looked angry and we never made it out there. Went to a place closer in raritan bay, loaded up on seabass and jumbo porgies. Great fall fishing.

fishinmission78
09-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Some early blues action in the park 5-8, thex. All got from blind casting, and one short bass at sunrise.

surfwalker
09-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Congrats to all who caught the past few days, great to hear it. I finally took a day off today and plugged early am to 9am. Nothing for me, but the walk sure felt great. Tons of bait seen, seemed like almost too much. Didn't see or hear of any Albies this morning.

Happy Trails

LennyD
09-19-2010, 03:21 PM
thanx for the report c4! Congrats! For me fall fishing is all about night fishing, unless if I'm on my kayak.

DarkSkies
09-19-2010, 10:40 PM
You guys are out there tryin, can't catch fish in front of a TV. :thumbsup:

Pebbles and I fished for 1/2 hour tonight on the way back from SJersey. We hit some back bay spots. It was hit and run because most of them had little or no bait. The ocean was big, most everyone we saw was fishin clams at high tide. Went in the back and there was lots of cloudy water and a small amount of scattered bait.

I did confirm some things, such as spot and kingfish being caught by the cooler full, along with some small bluefish, in some areas of structure.
However, the loads of spearing we had been seeing and other small bait were on vacation somewhere else tonight.

You people can have all the schoolie bass. I miss my big nasty back bay gorilla bluefish :viking:and I'm a little crabby about it. ;) The last 4 years, we had a bonanza of them around this time.

King Neptune, if the surf is unfishable for albies, at least give me some angry bluefish. Thanks. :fishing: :lookhappy:

Note to Rip and Speedy:
The highlight of the night was the 2 lipstick lesbians we found kissing at one of the back bay spots. I tried not to gawk at them and Pebbles was walking along behind me and nudged me...."did you see that?" :eek:

Yup, I saw it all, but I'm trained in the Ninja ways of not moving your head when ya pass something like that, ya gotta learn to move your eyes only. :d :naughty:

ledhead36
09-19-2010, 11:36 PM
The highlight of the night was the 2 lipstick lesbians we found kissing at one of the back bay spots. I tried not to gawk at them and Pebbles was walking along behind me and nudged me...."did you see that?" :eek:

Yup, I saw it all, but I'm trained in the Ninja ways of not moving your head when ya pass something like that, ya gotta learn to move your eyes only. :d :naughty:

:ttiwwop:

bababooey
09-20-2010, 12:15 AM
Yeah we need to check out the pics to see if they really were lesbians.:dribble:

c4charlie
09-20-2010, 05:37 AM
Just got back from a crazy night of fishing. Caught 6 bass in total including 2 keepers. Lots of taps/slurps. Fished with a good friend for the outgoing which produced a few fish for us including a nice 32" fish for my friend.

Had a snap problem for the first time.... Huge wave was just about to hit. All of a sudden, I get a nice big hit. I set the hook hard at the same time as the wave comes crashing down. (saw the fish and the pounding right in the face of the wave) Not sure how many pounds of pressure that created or what the fish thought about it. BUT my duo-lock style snap got completely straightened out.

Took a break for the change in tides watching peaceful bait in the back. Came back to the same spot for the incoming. I knew it was going to be good because the first thing I saw was sandeels that got washed up on the beach from the waves. Sure enough, the bass where there and I caught an additional 5 bass including two keepers and I left them biting.

Bucktails and soft plastic jigs were the key tonight. They did not want my swimmers or even bombers. Marine forecast was 100% wrong. It was beautiful out there and 1/2 of what the Marine forecast predicted.

rip316
09-20-2010, 08:31 AM
I usually have my sunglasses on so my wife cant see where my eyes are. hahahaha

clamchucker
09-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Nice catch c4charlie. I managed 4 bass to 31" this morning before sunrise on a needlefish. Fished 4 to 6 am, moco.

c4charlie
09-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Nice clamchucker. Looks like you started fishing as I left. They were definitely on the sand eels. Just curious as to which brand and length of needle.

clamchucker
09-20-2010, 07:48 PM
I was using a SS 7 1/4" needlefish Charlie, yellow and white.

gjb1969
09-20-2010, 08:11 PM
:thumbsup::fishing::HappyWave:

c4charlie
09-21-2010, 08:31 AM
Here are a few pics from Friday night. Got some from monday as wel but they are still on the camera.

Bottom pic is the first keeper of the fall for me at 31-32". This was the only plug that they wanted all night. Plug is a TBONE swimmer.

finchaser
09-21-2010, 08:39 AM
C4
Larry put you on to some nice fish;)

c4charlie
09-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Finchaser,

I assume Larry is the person that makes them? I did not get mine directly from him but TBONE now has a permanent place in my bag. Expect to see more pics.

Charlie

rip316
09-21-2010, 09:22 AM
I am guessing that is a mullet type profile.

finchaser
09-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Knowing better I still got up and tried this AM and was greeted by rough water that was not only brown but reeked. Weren't many people out. There was no bait or any signs of life in a 4 mile stretch through SOMOCO through NOOCCO. I got a call from a friend on a charter boat they found the bait and Albies ,blues and Bonita 3 miles off.

DarkSkies
09-21-2010, 12:46 PM
Here are a few pics from Friday night. Got some from monday as wel but they are still on the camera.

Nice pics and report, C4. :thumbsup:

Knowing better I still got up and tried this AM and was greeted by rough water that was not only brown but reeked. Weren't many people out. There was no bait or any signs of life in a 4 mile stretch through SOMOCO through NOOCCO.
:beatin: Cmon you know better than that Fin... the water didn't reek, it was filled with the smell of bass and mullet as far as the eye can see. :rolleyes:
The oracles have spoken, and now that the first day of Fall is here 30# fish will be crashing the beach every night.
Catch em up while ya can folks, just follow the smell...
Glad we got that all straightened out. ;)

LennyD
09-21-2010, 04:03 PM
Nice pictures C4!
Im going out tomorrow afternoon, ill let you guys know whats out there.
I like that plug!!!!

DarkSkies
09-22-2010, 01:19 AM
G and I hit the back bay tonight to load up on some spot and kingfish. Our plan was to get some for him, and let me use some of the smaller ones to liveline from the yak in deeper water. The plan fell apart as we fished an hour of the ebb with worms and couldn't get a tap. It seems as if the spot and kingfish either left or the bite is better in the late afternoon before dark.

There were a few tiny snapper blues around. This is the first year in a long time I've seen large parts of the bay barren of any bait this early in the season.

We got a call that there were some adult bunker and nice bass crashing them in the dirty water, so we trucked on over there to try to find them. By that time the wind kicked in much harder than forecast. It started SW but shifted to a straight S of sustained 20+mph, churning up the water and putting the fish and bunker down. :skunk:

Highlight of the night -
We saw what we joked about was a flying saucer. Turned to be the Metlife blimp as it got closer. It was having trouble making headway in the building wind, and had to move along by porpoising its nose directly into the wind.

Met some other nuts fishin bunker, no one else out there. We spent the next half hour watching that blimp being pushed around like a bunker underneath a school of angry bluefish, swerving up and down in the sea of air above. :eek: It crab-walked across the sky until we couldn't see it any more.

I hope it made it back to port, it was a little hairy to watch. Bet the piliot and any passengers poured themselves a few stiff drinks when they got home tonight. :plastered:

finchaser
09-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Fished this AM with RIP for bass and caught fluke,no signs of life as far as the Eye could see in any direction.

Our next plan of attack is to go for fluke so we can catch bass.

rip316
09-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Fin, Great to finally fish with you. Thanks for taking the time out to fish with me. Tomorrow is a new day. Maybe I should bring my fluke rod so I can catch a bass. See ya friend.

fishinmission78
09-22-2010, 06:10 PM
OC this AM, goose eggs.

buckethead
09-22-2010, 06:28 PM
MOCO last night tried some metal and some darters got :skunk:.

c4charlie
09-23-2010, 10:41 AM
I got out a 1/2 hr before storm and then drove around watching lightning from Monmouth to Ocean County and back trying to figure out when the coast was clear to get back out of the vehicle. I waited it out and picked up one short bass MOCO. I even checked the inside on the way home which has been disappointing thus far this season. Felt like more driving than fishing and it was way too calm after the storm with skinny water. Got the fish on a Tsunami sandeel next to a jetty.

Here are some pics from the other day I went out (same lure)...

DarkSkies
09-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Nice effort, Charlie, the storms were a little hairy last night. :thumbsup:

I even checked the inside on the way home which has been disappointing thus far this season.

I definitely agree with that, the understatement of the year. :burn:
Last year and for a few solid years before that we enjoyed hot action with big blues and teen bass in many of the inside spots almost until Columbus Day. This year sucks in those areas by comparison. I'm not too accepting of it either, just crabby. ;) :plastered:

Fishin report 9-23 AM
Had 1 1/2 hrs for some hit and run fishing starting at 6:45 am. Started by casting for albies, my first albie effort this year. I had a cool old-skool rig Finchaser made up for me :HappyWave: but there were no albies to be found this morning, either on the surface or blind casting.

There was an abundance of small bait in the wash and pockets, very small profile, not spearing, maybe rainfish approx 1-1 1/2" long. No mullet or other bait in the mix where I was.

After casting awhile and realizing the albies weren't showing, I switched to an ava 007 and picked up a few cocktail blues. Action died as it got brighter out, despite me making 2 more quick moves to similar areas holding bait.

The ocean wasn't that bad considering last night's storms. Not clear but not too dirty either, no weeds, and fishable. Saw a few kayakers out there, but not much action for them either. Ran into Shorelady and FoxyFisher on the way out, nice to meet you hardcore fishin gals. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

Made a few more stops before giving up, beautiful dead water at each location. Ran into an old-time sharpie I hadn't seen in a while. :HappyWave: We spent some time discussing how we feel we got cheated out of big surf bluefish this year. :( It's something we look forward to annually, and this year sucked for the surf guys in terms of consistency, if you compare it with the action just a few short years ago.

On the way home I made quite a few stops to check out for myself some intel about bait that had been passed along to me. The back bay area was pretty dirty and weedy from the rains.

Again, I want to state that many back areas that held bait last year are barren this year. Spearing are in abundance in many places, I don't see much difference in that amount.
However, mullet, peanuts, etc are less spread out than last year, particularly peanuts. I did find peanuts about 3", and some 6" mullet at one of the places I stopped at. They were about a 70/30 mullet to peanut ratio, almost the exact opposite from the numbers at this time 2 years ago.

There are some places where the mullet still remain thick. I'm not so sure all will be leaving with this full moon, only time will tell.

And as for adult bunker, I can report to the anglers out there, look for concentrations of adult bunker starting to show along Jersey any day now. You won't see miles of them, but they are there, and moving South, either slightly offshore or within view of the beach. :dribble:

Good luck to all fishin this weekend. :fishing:

captnemo
09-23-2010, 03:52 PM
And as for adult bunker, I can report to the anglers out there, look for concentrations of adult bunker starting to show along Jersey any day now. You won't see miles of them, but they are there, and moving South, either slightly offshore or within view of the beach. :dribble:

Good luck to all fishin this weekend. :fishing:

Good call dark, we were out today and found bunker off SH, down about 20'. We focused on bottom fishing, though, and got a few sea bass and a porgy limit on rough bottom in the bay.

fishinmission78
09-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Fished the park before work, got some small blues to 5lb, one bass 33", diamond jig with green tail. Bait was popping up and down.

cowherder
09-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Hey nice catch c4charlie, could I ask you how heavy that tsunami sand eel is? Are you throwing it as a teaser, or by itself? If by itself, how do you get it out there when it's windy out?

LennyD
09-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Nice catch C4!

LennyD
09-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Fished the park before work, got some small blues to 5lb, one bass 33", diamond jig with green tail. Bait was popping up and down.

Nice! Its good to see some bass over 30"

clamchucker
09-23-2010, 08:46 PM
A few short bass on a needlefish this morning at sunrise, MoCo.

finchaser
09-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Fished this AM South wind and current :2flip:shut them down nothing like yesterday morning

DarkSkies
09-24-2010, 11:19 PM
Fished this AM South wind and current :2flip:shut them down

I thought it was me that shut them down. Ya can blame me anytime Killie isn't around to kill the bite....feel free. ;)

AM Report:
I fished the ocean this morning. Ran into Finchaser. Fished together for awhile. There was no bait with the S wind and swell, the only life in the ocean was the dolphins feeding 500' offshore. Fishin sucked, so we moved to another beach. Ran into Rip, who was pluggin away. I checked his pockets for bait, lo and behold, NO Bait!!!!! :eek: he was a pluggin' maniac this morning. It didn't do us any good, as Fin said the S pattern is a "stay at home and sleep" pattern. Hey, we gave it a shot anyway, nice fishing wit youse guys! :HappyWave: :lookhappy: :fishing:

PM report:
The foggy and overcast day made me drool. Surely there was someplace else that would be happening on this cloudy day? :don't know why:

I took the yak out to find it. Had about 2 hours of good fishin before the sun came out. After that it was a slow pick, but I had consistent action for the rest of the ebb.

Managed 11 bass to 26", 10 porgies to 14". Most on the T&W, but I also drifted worms over structure. Report in the Kayak fishing reports thread.

LennyD
09-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Fished the park this am, few strikes on a popper and ML swimmer by "baby" blues, then by 8am, Albie heaven!!! Albies were busting water, jumping out as far as the eyes can see, about 1/4 to 1/2 mi off shore!!!

DarkSkies
09-25-2010, 03:20 PM
^^ So close you could taste them, eh? So close, yet so far,,, ;)
Tell me you didn't bring your yak out with you today. :beatin:

cowherder
09-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Fished this morn, moco, 6-7:30was throwing a very small ss popper, got some small bluefish, and a lot of missed strikes. I tried to slow it down but it seems they were kind of wary of the plug. Lots of small bait in the water.

wish4fish
09-25-2010, 04:46 PM
at the hook early, 3 hrs fishin for 4 small bluefish. where are the big blues?:burn:

fishinmission78
09-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Fished the park today, lots of hickory shad and cocktail bluefish, teaser and metal. And Lenny, I saw those albies, they were about 1000' out, sure wish they would have come in closer.

Monty
09-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Overslept this morning :beatin:
Fished out front 6:30-8:30, strong current to the south.
One Bass around 32 inches on SS Popper, quick pic and released. Water looked great, had fun:d.

striperhunter
09-26-2010, 06:09 PM
nice pic monty . I also out this morning wind blowing ne 10-15 one 26' striper on ava 17 with tail.:fishing:

Pebbles
09-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Nice fish and what a beautiful pic Monty. You did not do so bad for getting up late. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
09-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Nice pics and reports guys. I think you all did better with bass than 90% of the guys out there today. Even some boat guys I talked to got blanked, seems today was tough all over. WTG. :thumbsup:
Awesome sunrise in the surf pic, Monty. :drool:

I fished the Dirty Water this AM, got one bass, one bluefish, report in the Dirty Water Anglers thread.

jigfreak
09-27-2010, 12:33 AM
Rough seas tonight, one runt bass on a darter.
Nice fish Monty.

c4charlie
09-27-2010, 10:18 AM
The seas were angry last night. Nothing like a 25-30kt straight east wind in your face with a North/South sweep to make you really feel alive with rain/saltwater spray. The ocean was cutting the beaches ever so efficiently with that strong sweep. Spots that were relatively flat now have a very nice step down in certain areas. The wind changed to NE as the night progressed. It was definitely fishable, the sweep was just a bit difficult to deal with but there were definitely spots that the sweep was not an issue as we found later in the night. Too bad the tide was dropping down quick by the time.

It was good time last night but no fish to report.

Big Thanks to Darkskies for some great advice on a potential kayak purchase. Decided to hold out for something better. I am really hoping to have one by springtime!

clamchucker
09-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Fished the park yesterday, all the small blues and hickory shad you could want, ava and teaser. There are some sandeels in the wash and a lot of them past the bar, folks.
This morning I tried again in the rain but it was difficult. Fishing should turn around again when this current system winds down. Nice bass Monty.

Monty
09-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks, that bass broke a bit of a slump for me, as Surfwalker would say, it was good to see stripes.

I always need to take pics of the sun rises, they never get old.

nice pic monty . I also out this morning wind blowing ne 10-15 one 26' striper on ava 17 with tail.:fishing:

Nice fish and what a beautiful pic Monty. You did not do so bad for getting up late. :thumbsup:

Nice pics and reports guys. I think you all did better with bass than 90% of the guys out there today. Even some boat guys I talked to got blanked, seems today was tough all over. WTG. :thumbsup:
Awesome sunrise in the surf pic, Monty. :drool:

I fished the Dirty Water this AM, got one bass, one bluefish, report in the Dirty Water Anglers thread.

Rough seas tonight, one runt bass on a darter.
Nice fish Monty.

LennyD
09-28-2010, 09:31 AM
fished last nite 2hrs of incoming MOCO, one hit on bucktail, also saw one short caught.

striperhunter
09-28-2010, 12:25 PM
:fishing:fished this morning one sm blue s wind . fish yesterday south end isbsp mine friend one 30' on metal s wind and saw one other striper .

wish4fish
09-28-2010, 02:15 PM
:fishing:fished this morning one sm blue s wind . fish yesterday south end isbsp mine friend one 30' on metal s wind and saw one other striper .

nice bass dude we fished last nite from the concrete it was nasty and wet, threw bunker chunks down at slack had a bite for a haf hour, 3 bass to 27" and one biteoff by bloofish.

ledhead36
09-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Nomoco 5-8am incoming, rough surf. 2 keepers on clams, kept one at 31", threw back the 2nd one about 29".

finchaser
09-28-2010, 04:47 PM
2 bass one 27 and one 24 both on jig head and tail this afternoon 2-3:30

fishinmission78
09-29-2010, 08:28 AM
Ibsp before sunrise, one bass, one blue, thex with teaser. The surf was big but the swell wasn't that bad. Fishable.

finchaser
09-29-2010, 11:31 AM
OC 1 bass at first lite on teaser seas as Fishinmission said

finchaser
09-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Went back tonight 6-10 pm mullet so thick I was snagging them on the teaser 9 of us not a touch

rip316
09-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Did someone forget to tell the bass that the bait was on the move. I am seriously concerned as to why things are going the way they are. No big concentration of bluefish and bait with no bass. I am getting concerned. Maybe after this blow and rain tomorrow it will trigger something.

vpass
09-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Fished NoMoCo from 3:00 to 5:00pm. tons of bait no fish on them. Moved to SH. I found a school of Peanut getting pushed against the beach. I ended up with 5 Cocktail, and 2 short Bass. Action stopped as soon as it got dark.

rip316
09-29-2010, 11:14 PM
Good for you V

yukon
09-30-2010, 02:48 AM
Water looked good tonight... tons of white water for the incoming but only managed one. Started in MoCo then moved and got her in SFZ. She feel for a new teaser I rigged up.

Next stop Montaukhttp://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/biggrin.gif. We'll be out there next week. If ya see a guy with a GoPro cam on his head filming I'll be the one next to him.. Say hello!

rip316
09-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Nice fish Yukon.

DarkSkies
09-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Congrats to all who got out before the storm developed, looks like ya's were able to take advantage of that window. WTG. :thumbsup: :fishing:
I think that window might now be closed for the next 48 hrs. :(

jigfreak
09-30-2010, 10:42 AM
One small bass on rubber, first hour of outgoing last night. In the back.

cowherder
09-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Nice catches guys! Yukon was that sand eel something you can buy, and then you attached to a jighead, or is it just on the hook, it's hard to tell. And if you don't mind me asking who makes them and do they sell them to the public? How long are they?

LennyD
09-30-2010, 12:21 PM
hey yukon,
I'm heading up to Montauk too, I'll be up there next saturday or sunday for 2 days!

c4charlie
09-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Went fishing last night from 10:30 until 3:30am. At my third stop, I got a nice bite on my magnum crystal minnow. I hooked a personal best stargazer. Once out of the water, it is amazing how they borrow down so quickly. Good thing another wave came in to loosen up the sand because the fish wouldn't budge no matter how hard I pulled. Here's the ugly mugshot. :scared:

Proceed to the back after 1am where there was a flurry of activity. Too bad, they were all snappers. After i could not get anything big to bite, I downsized to a small bucktail and caught some snappers. Not sure why I kept trying to target them with a 9ft surf rod. :kooky:Nothing else was biting. Tons of bait around as usual, not many predators (other than snappers)

Best part of the night was about 3am when the fog rolled in from the ocean. Felt like I was inside of a painting with all of the blurred lights and everything else. Surprised that the rain held off all the way until I got back home at 4:30.

VSdreams
09-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Best part of the night was about 3am when the fog rolled in from the ocean. Felt like I was inside of a painting with all of the blurred lights and everything else.

Cool!
Hey c4charlie, they say if you kiss a stargazer on the head it brings you big luck and big bass. Try planting a kiss on it next time.:fishing:

clamchucker
09-30-2010, 01:54 PM
I fished OC from 11-1 today. The surf was rough but you could fish it in places. I opted for heavy diamond jigs, and managed 7 bluefish. The sizes varied, for example one was 9lbs, and one was about 9". The rest were in between. The winds were making it uncomfortable so I called it a day. It will take a day or so to clean the water up. I drove by an inlet on my way home and the water looked pretty dirty there.

yukon
09-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Nice catches guys! Yukon was that sand eel something you can buy, and then you attached to a jighead, or is it just on the hook, it's hard to tell. And if you don't mind me asking who makes them and do they sell them to the public? How long are they?

Hey Cowherder, Yes you can pick it up at most shops. The brand name they go by is FELMLEE EELS. I pick up the 5 in long version. They also come in a smaller size but stay with the 5 in. There sold loose then I hook them onto a 3/0 or 4/0 hook. You can also put them on a jig head but I only use them for teasers so mine are not weighted. I pick em up at Fisherman's Supply in PT. Ask for Ronnie and tell him what your looking to do and he'll tell ya everything ya need to know. I also put some glue at the head and the base where the hook comes out. For these I used Epoxy since I was loading up some redfins at the time.:d

finchaser
10-01-2010, 06:27 PM
In the back 4 to 5:30 pm 2 blues and a shadall on lead head and rubber tail Water is brown Ocean unfishable