PDA

View Full Version : Bluefish

buckethead
09-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Time for bluefish to get some respect

By JIM HUTCHINSON • Staff Writer • September 10, 2010

When considering how many anglers feel about bluefish, a paraphrase from comedian Rodney Dangerfield would be appropriate: "Bluefish don't get no respect."

In truth, there are very few negatives about bluefish. Yes, their flesh is a darker hue than the white meat of flounder. Bluefish are on the oily side, and their flesh can be stronger-tasting than a striped bass. In addition, bluefish meat does not have a real long shelf life. It can be frozen, but the fish taste gets strong after just a couple of weeks.
Another factor contributing to the low esteem for bluefish is the ease of catching them. Its overall population is high, and hungry bluefish will try to eat almost anything put in front of them. Some anglers do not view them as a challenge.
On the plus side, bluefish are fierce fighters. At times they add excitement to the fight by jumping out of the water. Bluefish weighing more than 15 pounds are not uncommon, and any blue that weighs more than 10 pounds will put stress on both the angler and his gear.
Compared to other fish species, the regulations covering bluefish are liberal. New Jersey has no closed season, nor is there a minimum size. The daily bag limit is 15 fish.
Andy Tonnesen, owner of Tony's Bait and Tackle in the Manahawkin section of Stafford, maintains that bluefish makes for a fine seafood dinner if properly cared for.
"Bluefish eat very good if they are bled out right after catching and put on ice immediately. If they are kept cold and eaten in a day or two after being caught, they can be very tasty."
Bluefish first arrive in southern Ocean County in mid-April and provide frantic action in the inlets and bay waters. waves of these fish remain close to shore until June when the bulk of the fish move into the ocean.

Beginning in early August, snapper bluefish provide superb fishing opportunities in the bay waters for light tackle enthusiasts, especially youngsters. Snapper blues are young bluefish ranging from 6 to 12 inches.

Bluefish can be caught using a variety of techniques. With their voracious eating habits, they always can be caught with artificial lures. Whether fishing from the beaches of Long Beach Island, casting to schools from boats, or throwing small lures from a bay front bulkhead, shiny metal lures look good to bluefish.

Because a bluefish's mouth is loaded with sharp teeth, it is a good idea to use metal leaders between the fishing line and the lures. Bluefish do not shy away from the metal as other fish might.

Although the best bait to use for bluefish is whatever they are feeding on, their ravenous hunger leads them to eat whatever is presented to them. Depending on the bait fish around, preferred bluefish baits include fresh bunker, mullet, mackerel strips, and almost any type of live bait.
A great way to catch some of the snapper blues now occupying every part of the local bay waters is to use a bobber. This is an easy way for young children to be successful catching fish. Suspended several feet under the surface of the water is a hook baited with fresh spearing.
If you are successful in catching some bluefish, there are some things to keep in mind before sitting down to dinner. First, the smaller bluefish, 1 to 5 pounds, make for the best meals. Those weighing more than 10 pounds are best released to catch another day.
Next, follow Tonnesen's instructions for immediate care. For best results, eat within two days of catching. If the fish is to be frozen, it will keep best if frozen in water so that no flesh is exposed. This way, the fish can be palatable for up to two months.
One great way to eat fresh bluefish fillets is to slather them with mayonnaise and then throw them on the grill. The mayo pretty much dissipates during the cooking process and removes most of any strong fish flavor.

Based on all of their positive features, it is time that bluefish start getting some respect.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=20109100301

cowherder
09-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Another factor contributing to the low esteem for bluefish is the ease of catching them.

Not all the time.:burn:

gjb1969
09-14-2010, 07:06 PM
i have never bin a bluefish snob i love fishing for them its a tuff thing to do they dont just give up when hooked like some fish ol yelloweyes are cool with me:fishing::HappyWave:

Monty
09-14-2010, 09:34 PM
I am with you on this, the Gators are awesome, they tear it up. They can be picky too. Or freaky crazy relentless eating machines :headbang:

i have never bin a bluefish snoob i love fishing for them its a tuff thing to do they dont just give up when hooked like some fish ol yelloweyes are cool with me:fishing::HappyWave:

bababooey
09-14-2010, 11:06 PM
Love the yellow eyed demons, they have saved many a trip from the :skunk: for me.

gjb1969
09-15-2010, 05:53 PM
same here i wish some were close to shore now i need to feel a big tug on my line small bass are fun but i need bigger fish!!!!!:dribble::dribble: