PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Lures

Monty
09-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Who throws plastic?
What percentage of the time is throwing this stuff?
I have thrown it less than 5% of the time the last 4 years, maybe like 1 or 2%.
Going to use it some more the next few weeks (at least the plan, depending on the weather, bait and water conditions).

jigfreak
09-14-2010, 10:56 PM
I like bombers and magdarters. You can't throw them when the surf is rough, so I throw loaded bombers or bigger magnums. Other than that, the bombers are cheap, not so cheap for the magdarters. You can also throw redfins, they swim nice and dig in a little better. Great spearing and small bait profile, excellent choice for this time of year.

surfwalker
09-15-2010, 06:51 AM
I carry them all the time, 4", 5/6" and 7". Black, black over silver or white, yellow over white, and others. I use old Rebels, Redfins, and Bombers. If the wind is favorable I may use them up to 20% of the time, in the dark, first light or pre darkness. A 4" black/silver Rebel has produced very well over the years at first light, maybe not the biggest Bass, but action. In a heavy current I use the same make/color in the 7" sinking model, it allows me to search different depths on the sweep, and has produced again at first light.

Even though the 4" models don't travel very far on the cast, it's amazing what is traveling in the skinny water right at your feet. They have salvaged many a trips that would have been just a nice walk.

Just remember to use a slow retrieve and let the plug do the work for you, and stand back from the waters edge and reel right through to dry land.

Happy Trails

DarkSkies
09-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Plastics are great producers for this time of the year and in the summer when it's slower. Just remember to change the hooks out with VMCs for when you run into a larger fish. :lookhappy:

gjb1969
09-15-2010, 12:12 PM
i have mostly plastic lures so thats what i throw most of the time so they produce for me i have just a few wood lures:fishing:

clamchucker
09-15-2010, 12:44 PM
They are time honored producers. I like the standard bombers and the mambo minnows.

nitestrikes
09-15-2010, 01:33 PM
I love plastic, throw small swimmers whenever it's not too windy. Otherwise I like bigger stuff for rough water, like darters.

storminsteve
09-15-2010, 08:20 PM
I like to keep it simple, mag-darters, and bombers. For the bombers, I love the chicken scratch yellow, schoolbus color, and the blurple for night. What is that top one Monty?

Monty
09-15-2010, 09:53 PM
I think its a Wind Cheater? Rebel?
Its got to be around 15 years old I think.
I'm dusting off the old plastic and found two of them.
I remember catching a few Blues on the same plug many years ago on Island Beach (if 10-15 years ago is many).
Anyone know what the second one is? I remember catching a few fish on it but forget what it is. I used to like that plug a lot. Casts a little better than the others.

I like to keep it simple, mag-darters, and bombers. For the bombers, I love the chicken scratch yellow, schoolbus color, and the blurple for night. What is that top one Monty?

albiealert
09-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Who throws plastic?
What percentage of the time is throwing this stuff?
I have thrown it less than 5% of the time the last 4 years, maybe like 1 or 2%.

Hi Monty I use it 95% of the time because I fish rivers and there are a lot of small bait in these rivers. It matches the profile and if I lose one it's no big deal. A lot better for my attitude than losing one of those $25 dollar plugs people drool over. Just my .02. small plugs like bombers catch for most of the year, when they don't work I use small bucktails or grubs on a leadhead.

fishinmission78
09-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Also great for when spearing and sand eels are around. Lots of guys focus on needlefish, but the small bomber and mambo minnow dig into the sand similar to a sand eel, if you fish it right. You should always have a bomber with you this time of year.

Monty
09-23-2010, 09:05 PM
albiealert, I have really gotten away from throwing the smaller plugs the last few years. Will be changing that now. I think the only plastic I threw this year is a Black Bomber and that was for maybe 10 casts one night. Considering I get out 1x per week and fish a solid 6 hours and throw nothing but artificials, I have really neglected throwing them.:beatin:

Hi Monty I use it 95% of the time because I fish rivers and there are a lot of small bait in these rivers. It matches the profile and if I lose one it's no big deal. A lot better for my attitude than losing one of those $25 dollar plugs people drool over. Just my .02. small plugs like bombers catch for most of the year, when they don't work I use small bucktails or grubs on a leadhead.

bluesdude71
10-18-2010, 12:10 PM
A bomber will save you from more skunks, if there are fish around.
Another profile I like is the small yozuris, small and slim to match rainfish, anchovies, and spearing.

clamchucker
01-28-2011, 09:15 AM
albiealert, I have really gotten away from throwing the smaller plugs the last few years. Will be changing that now.

monty, also for the beginning and end of the season, the predominant bait in bay and inlets is small, minnies, spearing, etc. A small bomber or other plastic presentation crawled slowly matches that profile and you will do quite well with it. Stick with it and you will develop confidence.

williehookem
03-21-2011, 04:19 PM
A small bomber or other plastic presentation crawled slowly matches that profile and you will do quite well with it.

^^What he said.

finchaser
03-21-2011, 09:32 PM
IMO wood is good but plastics better,they always swim great right out of the box especially Super Strikes

Monty
03-21-2011, 10:56 PM
monty, also for the beginning and end of the season, the predominant bait in bay and inlets is small, minnies, spearing, etc. A small bomber or other plastic presentation crawled slowly matches that profile and you will do quite well with it. Stick with it and you will develop confidence.

I have small plastic ready to throw this spring. Last year in the fall I caught a few bass on small plastic. Confidence with plastic improving:thumbsup:

surfstix1963
03-22-2011, 06:50 AM
Like Fin said plastic out of the box are all molded the same so they are pretty much identical and will have more consistency than wood.Wood no matter how well it is sealed does absorb some water which may effect the way it swims especially after a few blues put their teethmarks in them wood also has different densities in the case of poppers alot of guys say the wood makes a different sound than plastic and draws more strikes I do have a preference for wood poppers( not because they say so because I have been more successful with them and have given each equal time),now in the case of darters I feel plastic is the way to go you can build 10 darters and if 3 of them swim you are lucky(very few have mastered the wood darter) thats why I like plastic for darters and Superstrike are the ones I like the best IMO.Another thing is guys say I always catch on this or that if you are fishing that 90% of the time your going to catch more on it a.because you use it and b.you have confidence it works.Bombers have their place but the conditions need to be right I'm not a big fan so i don't use them much.

jigfreak
04-19-2011, 10:10 AM
. You should always have a bomber with you this time of year.

Good point, fnm and you should always have at least one bomber and some other small swimmers with you at this time in the spring.

Monty
04-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Loaded some Redfins this past winter. Swam them a few times this year and was happy with the distance I could get with them. Looked to be swimming nice too. Will go to them much more often this year.

Good point, fnm and you should always have at least one bomber and some other small swimmers with you at this time in the spring.