PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys use for fishing a rough surf?

porgy75
09-16-2010, 04:02 PM
They said the surf would be chopped up with this weather we are having. What is your favorite thing to throw for big surf, and do you change the way you fish it, or just retrieve normally. Thanks guys.

CharlieTuna
09-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Porgy a bucktail with porkrind is one of the old tried and true reliables. You want it heavy enough so it stays on the bottom as you bump it along, but not too heavy so it digs into the sand or hangs up in the rocks. Bring different size weights along with you to change with the conditions. For nasty surf conditions, I generally like between 2-4 oz depending on how bad the swell is. Anything bigger than that and you need a conventional stick to control it. It's also different depending on whether you are using a spinning or conventional set up. Hope that helped.

crosseyedbass
09-16-2010, 04:58 PM
I like big darters, fish them slow parallel with the wave action, in the trough.

finchaser
09-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Day before blow or right at the start of blow is best usually with metal and teaser in the fall

Metal, bottle plug and heavy stubby needle fish day after the blow when wind goes west /northwest.

Day of the blow stay home and watch TV

Pebbles
09-16-2010, 05:39 PM
That's my favorite time to fish. I love the big waves and the roar of the sea. I have caught lots of blues durning those times but unfortunately, no bass. Just my luck I guess.

storminsteve
09-16-2010, 05:57 PM
^ Rumor has it that you fish those times because that's the only time Dark takes you fishing. I remember the last time you were out on the kayak and you outfished him.:clapping: Is he trying to handicap your ability?:d
(With all due respect, Dark:HappyWave:)

Monty
09-16-2010, 08:05 PM
I like to throw Ava 27, 37, 47 with red tube tails with small red tube teasers. Dragging it over a sand bar or through cuts in bars. This setup has been my "rough surf" set-up the last few years. The teaser would out catch the ava 5:1.

Pebbles
09-20-2010, 05:13 PM
^ Rumor has it that you fish those times because that's the only time Dark takes you fishing. I remember the last time you were out on the kayak and you outfished him.:clapping: Is he trying to handicap your ability?:d
(With all due respect, Dark:HappyWave:)

No, I think he gets a rush when he fishes those times. I just happen to be along for the ride.

rip316
09-21-2010, 09:17 AM
I will try to explain this method during rough surf. I fished with my BIL on Sat. morning. The ocean was getting pretty big and there was a really strong current. He wanted to bait fish because his shoulder was bothering him. I agreed setting out one rod while I stayed close by a rockpile. We were to the right of the rocks and the current was sweeping to the left. I finally held bottom with 8oz. With his soar shoulder he wasn't getting much diatance on his casts. With only using 4 oz the current pushed his bait along right in the wash with his line actually slack at times. I do not know a lot about surfishing but I am learning and starting to get better but he knows a lot less than me. He actually catches 3 shorts to 27.5". After discussing this with Dark he actually told me that there was something to why he was catching and not me.

The fish were in close and with the way the surf was, his bait presentation looked natural. Like waves smashing clams against the rocks. See I learned something new again. As much of a novice as my brother inlaw is, he was doing something right by accident. Thanks for opening my eyes to something that totally made absolutely made no sense to me.

hookset
07-30-2012, 11:50 AM
I like to throw Ava 27, 37, 47 with red tube tails with small red tube teasers. Dragging it over a sand bar or through cuts in bars. This setup has been my "rough surf" set-up the last few years. The teaser would out catch the ava 5:1.

. With his soar shoulder he wasn't getting much diatance on his casts. With only using 4 oz the current pushed his bait along right in the wash with his line actually slack at times. I do not know a lot about surfishing but I am learning and starting to get better but he knows a lot less than me. He actually catches 3 shorts to 27.5". After discussing this with Dark he actually told me that there was something to why he was catching and not me.

The fish were in close and with the way the surf was, his bait presentation looked natural. Like waves smashing clams against the rocks. See I learned something new again. As much of a novice as my brother inlaw is, he was doing something right by accident. Thanks for opening my eyes to something that totally made absolutely made no sense to me.

When the surf is too rough its almost impossible to keep whatever you have in the strike zone. If it is too muddy or dirty they don't like that and like finchaser and others said stay home. If they are on the feed bag they should be right in close. You can then catch them like rip said.