PDA

View Full Version : LI's shore losers: Riverhead residents sue to bar beachgoers

plugginpete
09-17-2010, 01:15 PM
This has got to stop somewhere, before all the access on the north shore is locked up! :burn:

LI's shore losers (http://stripersandanglers.com/p/news/local/li_shore_losers_E1T6X5EEuAVI9MH5TICOqI)

Residents sue to bar beachgoers (http://stripersandanglers.com/p/news/local/li_shore_losers_E1T6X5EEuAVI9MH5TICOqI)

By KIERAN CROWLEY
Last Updated: 12:10 PM, September 13, 2010
Posted: 5:05 AM, September 13, 2010
Comments: 5 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/#comments_block)

Life's a beach -- especially if you can't get your local authorities to stop people from driving and camping on your beautiful private Long Island shoreline property and leaving it a mess.
Five families -- from among those who own beachfront homes in Wading River, on Suffolk's Long Island Sound -- have filed a federal lawsuit in an effort to enforce what they say are their rights to keep crowds and cars out of their back yards.

The residents own the land down to the mean high tide mark, and the public is allowed access between that and the water under federal law, according to the lawsuit.

SURF & TURF: Wading River beachfront homeowner Harry Wood walks his dog on what a federal lawsuit against the town of Riverhead claims is his private beach.

The smaller homes in question are valued at almost $1 million, and the larger homes with larger property are valued higher.

"I've had family barbecues, and people walk up and join us," said Amy Csorny. "They set up tents. Last weekend, we had four tents and about 28 people." They left behind "condoms, feces and toilet paper," Csorny, 53, said.
She said some trespassers blast music and scream in the middle of the night and drive fast and dangerously close to her kids. "I would like to be able to enjoy the property I pay my taxes on without my family being at risk," Csorny said.
"I don't have enough stress in my life I've got to have these knuckleheads on the beach," said her husband, Jim Csorny, a former city fire lieutenant.
He claimed Riverhead Town Supervisor Sean Walter "is telling law enforcement not to enforce the laws in this town" by allowing motorists to drive and hang out on their property.

Walter scoffed at the charge and said that, historically, the area was always considered a public beach and that he has an old document that proves it. He said it was only in recent decades that the homeowners "got it into their heads" that they owned part of the beach.

"The public has a right to access these beaches," said Walter.
In past decades, at least one homeowner would fire a rifle to scare off rowdy trespassers, locals said. "At least we're not shooting at each other," joked Walter.

"This is not the Hamptons," said the homeowners' lawyer, Jonathan Sinnreich. "These are not millionaires who want to keep the rabble off their beach. All they want is some respect for their rights.

"All of my clients own the beach. The town is definitely violating its own law every day," said Sinnreich.
"The town politically favors fishermen because there are a lot more fishermen than there are residents. They are looking the other way," said Sinnreich. "They have never issued a single ticket to a single fisherman."

Other residents disagreed.
"They want to own the whole beach," said town resident Chris Anderson, who was strolling on the allegedly private beach recently. Anderson, 47, called the homeowners' no-trespassing signs "a blight."
"I guess when they spend that kind of money, they don't want to see people," said beachgoer Anton DeMartino, 66.
kieran.crowley@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/li_shore_losers_E1T6X5EEuAVI9MH5TICOqI#ixzz0zo8rZf bP

nitestrikes
09-19-2010, 12:29 AM
:2flip:Bunch of elite limp-wristed tea-drinking with the pinkies in the air clueless people. I understand them being PO'ed about the trash, but they have no right to kick us all out. If they win, we all lose on the NS. We should watch this closely.

Tom Farrell
09-20-2010, 12:12 PM
This suit is not worth the paper it is written on.

crosseyedbass
09-20-2010, 01:13 PM
This suit is not worth the paper it is written on.

Yeah, but the property owners are still willing to go to court. What will it take for us as fishermen to start filing lawsuits to stop idiots like this? Oh, I know -- cash, and try to get fishermen to contribute cash to a lawsuit, well good luck with that. Does anyone know of any groups out there besides the RFA that are in a position to fight people like this in court?

Pebbles
09-20-2010, 04:48 PM
I don't see anything about them complaining about beach replenishment. This is done with other peoples tax dollars. Let see what would happend if they each have to replenish "their own beaches" at their own cost.

Tom Farrell
09-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Yeah, but the property owners are still willing to go to court. What will it take for us as fishermen to start filing lawsuits to stop idiots like this? Oh, I know -- cash, and try to get fishermen to contribute cash to a lawsuit, well good luck with that. Does anyone know of any groups out there besides the RFA that are in a position to fight people like this in court?

Ever hear of the Fluke lawsuit? Alot of money has been donated by recreational anglers.

plugginpete
09-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Yeah but that's because a lot of guys fish on boats. Do you think we could get a lot of people to donate money to fight for surf access in only one spot? I don't know the answer, I am just thinking out loud.
If it was Montauk beaches and they tried to close it down I know a lot of guys would contribute.
But how about for this small area, what are your thoughts Tom. (Oh, and btw, thanks to everyone for keeping up the publicity here, I think it's really lame they are doing it. )

Tom Farrell
09-23-2010, 04:19 PM
What you just said is something everyone needs to realize. This is not about one beach or one access point. We can't let them set precedences by taking access away because if we do we will end up eventually losing all of our access.

BassBuddah
09-25-2010, 04:44 PM
We can't let them set precedences by taking access away because if we do we will end up eventually losing all of our access.

:thumbsup: Spot on, Tom. Thanks for all you do.

plugcrazy
09-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Fisherman do need to get more involved. There are too many out there who believe that it is ok for someone else to do the work. Or they believe that access will never be a true issue.

Wake up people. Get involved.

strikezone31
09-27-2010, 10:54 AM
What you just said is something everyone needs to realize. This is not about one beach or one access point. We can't let them set precedences by taking access away because if we do we will end up eventually losing all of our access.

:clapping: Thanks Tom.

rockhopper
09-27-2010, 01:03 PM
:thumbsup: to Tom and the others. I hate elite rich people.