PDA

View Full Version : Great fishing with black sea bass back in force

hookedonbass
09-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Great fishing with black sea bass back in force

By JIM HUTCHINSON • Correspondent • September 24, 2010

As I write this column, Hurricane Igor is heading northward. Igor at this point is a huge, nasty storm. The only good thing about him is he should pass by us far out to sea.However, the storm will have some effect on us as far as large swells, rip currents and some higher than normal tides. While I do not expect this to cause any real property damage, it should slow down fishing once again for a few days.

I got a phone call from Skip Deckman, the owner of the Chum Bucket Bait and Tackle in West Creek. It seems that last Thursday Skip returned to his shop from tending his minnow pots.As he was going through his minnows, he noticed one that looked different from the others. While there are many different species of minnows, this one had a real funny look to it.

Actually, at first he thought it might be a baby oyster cracker.When he picked the strange looking little fish up, it got aggressive and bit him. He then isolated the fish and looked it up on the Internet. After an exhaustive search, Skip is pretty sure that it is a baby snakehead.
Snakeheads are not a native American species but have been brought over from other areas of the world. In places where they have become established, the adult snakeheads have become very aggressive and feed on any other fish they can find. Evidently there are no known predators for snakeheads.

Skip notified the state about his find, and the last I heard he was still waiting for a response from them. In the meantime, the fish has died, but he is saving the body for positive identification. This could turn into a very interesting story.

I got an e-mail from Carl Sheppard, the captain of the Star Fish out of Beach Haven. He reports having five great fishing days last week.
Carl said the black sea bass are back in force, and one day his group boated more than 100 fish including quite a few keepers. The only sad part to the trips, according to Carl, was the large number of doormat fluke they caught, which had to be released since the season is closed.Carl also ran into some amberjack and a little later some scattered false albacore. The false albacore seemed to like trolled silver and old fashioned feathers.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=20109240302

VSdreams
09-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Carl said the black sea bass are back in force, and one day his group boated more than 100 fish including quite a few keepers. The only sad part to the trips, according to Carl, was the large number of doormat fluke they caught, which had to be released since the season is closed.

Yeah just when the fluke start to get to a decent size we can't fish for them anymore.:burn: