PDA

View Full Version : needles

strikezone31
09-25-2010, 05:05 PM
What seems to be the problem? I fished with needles the last few weeks off of some jetties but can't seem to have any success with them.

nitestrikes
09-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Fish them slow. If you're not bored you're not fishing them right.

finchaser
09-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Fish them slow. If you're not bored you're not fishing them right.

What he ^^^^said and more importantly there has to be fish around

plugcrazy
09-25-2010, 08:06 PM
That why I don't like fishing needles, you have to fish them slow.

surfstix1963
09-26-2010, 03:05 PM
They are more effective when sandeels are around later in the fall try different retrieves or a different type needle they are best worked just off the bottom so a quick sinking needle is better.Sometimes a skinnier model will work over a fatter needle also. Regardless the slow retrieve is the best retrieve give it a slight twitch every couple of cranks I like stubby needles at this time of the year they give a profile of a needle but can also pass for a peanut bunker or smaller bait fish them w/ a teaser also.These are one of the most common plugs that are given up on you really need to build cofidence in them.

Monty
09-27-2010, 07:01 AM
So they really should be fished deep, not floating (most of the time)?
I have had terrible results fishing needles with just a few fish caught over the years. For a period of 10 years my PB was on a SS needle, but I still had zero confidence in it. When I fish them I'll concentrate more on getting them down deep. I had caught my previous PB with the needle deep, while SLOWLY raising the rod up, but side to side (like 10:00 - 2:00 o clock).

Thanks SurfStix

They are more effective when sandeels are around later in the fall try different retrieves or a different type needle they are best worked just off the bottom so a quick sinking needle is better.Sometimes a skinnier model will work over a fatter needle also. Regardless the slow retrieve is the best retrieve give it a slight twitch every couple of cranks I like stubby needles at this time of the year they give a profile of a needle but can also pass for a peanut bunker or smaller bait fish them w/ a teaser also.These are one of the most common plugs that are given up on you really need to build cofidence in them.

clamchucker
09-27-2010, 10:43 AM
For a period of 10 years my PB was on a SS needle, but I still had zero confidence in it.

That is one of the keys to fishing, Monty. If you have confidence in bucktails, bombers, darters, swimmers, etc you will do better on that type that you call your "confidence presentation". Try to fish the needlefish more, in the late fall like now. Give them at least 15 minutes before you reach for anything else at night if you are fishing where there are sandeels. Then possibly you will develop more confidence in them as you see them produce. Good luck.

surfstix1963
09-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Thats how I like to fish them Monty I don't have much success keeping them up in the water column and on top other than blues I like the superstrike needles both versions stubby and their regular model they also have just come out with a clear version:don't know why: which are heavier(not sure about the clear the verdict still out on that) Al Gags are another one I like they sink differently I believe vertically,Gibbs are alright but for me personally no bass all blues I think the reason is they sink slow and come to the top very quick unless you are cranking it as slow as a bomber.One thing most needles cast good into the wind and the retrieve should always be slow.For a plug that has no action what so ever they do catch fish.

storminsteve
10-01-2010, 04:17 PM
One thing most needles cast good into the wind and the retrieve should always be slow.For a plug that has no action what so ever they do catch fish.

Yeah, I like them too for when you reallly need to punch it out there.

plugcrazy
12-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I came back and revisited this thread after my earlier comments. I got a nice bass around 16lbs Thanksgiving week fishing a superstrike needle at first light, slow and low. That's one of the good things about this site, you guys are very helpful. And the search key can give you a lot of info on what you are looking to learn.