PDA

View Full Version : Waders on Jetties

Pebbles
09-26-2010, 09:33 AM
When the cold weather comes around I like to wear my waders for warmth. I have been reading posts and articles about how it is not a good idea to wear them on a jetty. What should I be wearing?:don't know why:

rip316
09-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Rain gear and rubber boots with korkers if you plan on going on the jetty. You will kill yourself if you go on the jetty without korkers.

finchaser
09-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Rain gear and rubber boots with korkers if you plan on going on the jetty. You will kill yourself if you go on the jetty without korkers.

What he^^^ said people who wear waders on jetties have a death wish with or without korkers don't listen to Dark on this one period. Waders are for the beach go to jetty country and check out the experienced jetty fisherman, not the want to be INTERNET crew. The real rock hoppers are not in waders, they wear insulated boots with korkers when it's cold with a pair of Grundens or Helly Hanson bibs. I've fished in the snow like that and was always warm and most importantly safe for over 40 years.

jigfreak
09-27-2010, 12:35 AM
Wear waders on the jetty if your wife wants to get rid of you. If she ups your insurance and buys you waders in the same month, shes planning something unholy.

CharlieTuna
10-05-2010, 11:02 AM
What he^^^ said people who wear waders on jetties have a death wish with or without korkers don't listen to Dark on this one period. Waders are for the beach go to jetty country and check out the experienced jetty fisherman, not the want to be INTERNET crew. The real rock hoppers are not in waders, they wear insulated boots with korkers when it's cold with a pair of Grundens or Helly Hanson bibs. I've fished in the snow like that and was always warm and most importantly safe for over 40 years.

What he said, sage advice here.

albanyguy1
10-05-2010, 11:34 PM
But my question is ---why are waders on jettys dangerous? Is it because they can fill w/water? Or is it because they are too difficult to get off quickly? I don't dispute the wisdom, just curious as to why.

fishinmission78
10-06-2010, 05:14 PM
But my question is ---why are waders on jettys dangerous? Is it because they can fill w/water? .

Yes

Or is it because they are too difficult to get off quickly? I don't dispute the wisdom, just curious as to why.

Yes

Imagine you are fishing in water that is 55 degrrees from the jetty. Your waders fill with water as you slip off a rock when fighting a fish. You are frantically pawing water trying to make it back to the rocks and there is a strong full moon tide. In 55 degree water how long do you think you will survive if you can't get those waders off? That's something to think about, no?:scared:

Pebbles
10-06-2010, 07:02 PM

Grundens or Helly Hanson bibs? I'll have to do a search on them. I wear anything that will keep me warm.

Thanks