PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: fish a Noreaster!

DarkSkies
10-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Allright I know a lot of you guys are upset, it's nasty out and ya can't fish.

And when the weather clears up, it will be chocolate milk and pea soup in the water for a day or so.....

So does that mean ya can't fish?
That's up to you. :d

The following are some tips and some sage advice that came from some of the sharpies I know in real life and on here.

We're giving you some valuable and secrit advice in this thread. A road map if you will.... ;)

The rest is up to you.....

Cable TV? :plastered:
OR
Noreaster fishin? :fishing:

finchaser
10-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Satellite TV

But this was a southeaster so instead of my clam and bunker head hi-low rig with 16 ounce storm sinker . I guess I'll use my heaver and conventional reel with the super secret clambrella rig

DarkSkies
10-01-2010, 01:21 PM
I'll break this down into bait fishin, and plugging, to specifically address the different tastes out there. You can fly fish in a noreaster as well, but you have to use sinking Clousers that weigh 12 oz each. ;) We'll try to cover that topic in a more advanced thread later on...maybe at the Spring Shorebird seminar I'm thinking of doing. :)

Bait fishing: Gear Needed

1 or 2 tuna rods.
You only need one, but for the hard-core guys who can handle it I recommend 2.
Sand spikes
Make sure they're specially made for noreast fishing, or make your own with 4' of rebar cut on a diagonal to deal with the required deep-set anchoring needed for fishing bait in big surf.
Sinkers - 24oz - 48oz
8 oz sinkers are for sissies and googs. The hardcore noreaster fishermen know that the real fish are caught by clams that are anchored into the sand, so the fish can find em. :cool: If ya can't find a sinker that big, a window sash from an old window will do. :thumbsup:

Strong line - 100-150# test
When those big cows come through in the surf looking for your offering, you don't want to lose the fish of a lifetime. Al McReynolds caught his allegedly during a noreaster, ya never know when the next 75# fish will be swimmin by in all that dirty cloudy water with the sand that irritates their gills. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

A big pot of coffee to keep in your beach buggy - you can also mix with hot chocolate if ya want. :drool:
Remember that ya need access to a quick toilet if ya get the runs. Nothing is more uncomfortable than trying to pull your wet sweaty rain soaked clothes down in a hurry when the Hershey squirts feel like making an appearance. :scared:

Bait of choice - stinky clams, and stinky bunker
Let it sit outside for a day or 2 before the noreaster. Then, right before you leave the house, pop it in the microwave on "high" for 10 minutes. This will guarantee a most pungent aroma for the fish, and that your wife or girlfriend will be glad to have you gone a day or 2 as you pursue the cows on the beach during the noreasters.

Method of fishing - clam and bunker buffet rig.
Why bother fishing them separately? Put them together on a hi-low to increase your chances. This will also keep the cow nose rays away, as the clam swinging near the bunker acts like a scarecrow to spook them.

DarkSkies
10-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Don't worry about bringing your $400 honey lami to the beach during the noreasters. You will just feel out of place with them unless you're at Montauk, where you have to prove 12' Lami ownership when you get the permits at the County golf course. ;)

For all of NJ, Delaware, and LI with the exception of Montauk, the following gear will work just fine:

13-16' surf rod -
You can get them at Wal Mart. They frequently have them on special, and it won't be too much of a tragedy as the 12' waves toss you on the beach and rocks and break the rod.

VS 250 -
You need a reel at least this big to get out past the breakers. Most of the hardcore guys who fish during a noreaster catch their fish past the 3rd breaker, about 200 feet out. If ya can't cast this far, don't bother, stay home. :lookhappy: Only use 10# braid so you can pack on as much line as possible to get your presentation out there.

Presentations:
Metal - 12-16 oz diamond jigs with green chartreuse tails. -
Bucktails - 8-12 oz with bright pink 8" grubs attached to them -
Don't bother with teasers in rough surf, unless it has 24 hours to settle down, then you may use the teasers. However, everyone knows big cows want big meals, and that's what you want to be giving to them. :thumbsup:

Fishing method:
These presentations will be very heavy. You will not be able to work them like regular fishing in normal surf. What you need to do is toss them out as far as you can, and then run very fast along the beach in the direction of the sweep (this is important). http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif
As you are running along the beach in the sweep direction, you will feel the presentation grab bottom. Your job in running at full speed is to either attract those big cows, or, failing to do that, snag a wayward one in the head as the fish is wondering what the hell it is doing in that cloudy surf with the suspended sand particles. :huh:

This is a fool-proof method, and guaranteed to produce at least a cow or 2. At the very least, it will keep those pesky schoolies away, allowing you to expend your efforts only for the biggest fish.

Well, that's it folks, those are the secrets handed down by the sharpies. Please try not to pass this around to too many people. We can't have everyone catching the big cows so quickly.
(If people knew how effective these methods were, everyone and their brother would be out fishin right now bailing fish, so keep it quiet, please! :HappyWave:)

This has been another in a series of threads designed to help you guys and gals catch fish out there. If ya have anything to add, or some fine-tuning tips that you use to catch those cows, feel free to post up. :thumbsup: :fishing:

And let's be careful out there, folks! :plastered: on the beach might be OK regularly, but not during a Noreaster! :( :kooky:

jigfreak
10-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Satellite TV

But this was a southeaster so so instead of my clam and bunker head hi-low rig with 16 ounce storm sinker . I guess I'll use my heaver and conventional reel with the super secret clambrella rig

:clapping::clapping: Ha love that clambrella rig, classic! Do you ever put mullet chunks or bunker heads in the middle? And what kind of retrieve do you use when you are on a sandy beach, as opposed to fishing near one where there are some jetties? Do you ever work it around the sides of the jetties or do you think that's too risky? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

cowherder
10-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Hilarious, guys that was too funny!:clapping::clapping: :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
10-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Hey guys this is serious stuff, handed down by generations of sharpies. I had to get special permission to post it up here. :)

I almost forgot, the most important thing when you go out in bad weather....
Prayer to King Neptune:
@C DarkSkies

O King Neptune hear us now,
please help us catch that cow,

Keep us safe from wind and waves,
even though some may splash our face.

Please take care and watch over,
that we don't accidentally crunch a piping plover

Look out for us in our addiction,
so that we don't become part of fishing fiction

We believe in you and ask your support,
because we're compelled to look for fish in any port

So when we're out there, fingers cold, frozen, and seem to have lost our way,
We ask you to help us survive another day

And if you can't control the weather here and now,
we ask for some help when we bow to the cow. :lookhappy:

finchaser
10-01-2010, 02:28 PM
:clapping::clapping: Ha love that clambrella rig, classic! Do you ever put mullet chunks or bunker heads in the middle? And what kind of retrieve do you use when you are on a sandy beach, as opposed to fishing near one where there are some jetties? Do you ever work it around the sides of the jetties or do you think that's too risky? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

On a sandy beach I usually walk back and forth and troll it through the troff;)
Too risky to use on a jetty and snags too easily .

fishinmission78
10-01-2010, 02:55 PM
On a sandy beach I usually walk back and forth and troll it through the troff;)

:clapping: I've heard guys sometimes use thier pickup trucks and troll them, ever try it that way?

The search key is your friend -
How does the clamzilla factor into all of this, Dark, can we make the same applications to the fall as in the spring?
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=6110&highlight=clamzilla&page=2

stripercrazy
10-01-2010, 03:00 PM
I like the switch-up to larger weights, that makes sense in big swells. Very creative use of the window sashes too.:d

rockhopper
10-01-2010, 03:23 PM
A big pot of coffee to keep in your beach buggy - you can also mix with hot chocolate if ya want. :drool:
Remember that ya need access to a quick toilet if ya get the runs. Nothing is more uncomfortable than trying to pull your wet sweaty rain soaked clothes down in a hurry when the Hershey squirts feel like making an appearance. :scared:

You people are sick! roflmao! Do you have any picss?:upck: :kooky:

dogfish
10-01-2010, 03:41 PM
^ Hey, **** happens it's a part of life. Just for you, rockhopper.:HappyWave: Great thread btw. We don't have much use for clams up here, but I have fished that clambrella rig with eels, its deadly.

storminsteve
10-01-2010, 04:14 PM
The levels of sickness here are astounding.:rolleyes:
Hilarious, thanks for the entertainment.

rip316
10-01-2010, 06:28 PM
I don't see any toilet paper. EWWWWWWWWW.

VSdreams
10-01-2010, 06:37 PM
I don't see any toilet paper. EWWWWWWWWW.

better than a bathroom in India:d

Bathrooms are “unclean” places
It must be remembered that most bathrooms in India have cement or tile floors and do not have rugs or mats. Bathrooms are “unclean” places in India and not a place of comfort as in the USA. This is not where you would got to read Time magazine. The floors have a drain in the corner of the room. This makes the bathrooms easily washed down. Therefore, splashing water all around is common place and not of any concern. Body fluids on the floor are the norm. Another issue regarding the bathroom is that in India, toilet paper is not used. Many Indians have no clue as to what toilet paper is or how it is used. The toilet itself is usually not to be sat on this is a very dirty thing to do.

Often washing after toilet use is done by filling a bucket and then taking a small utensil, filling it from the bucket, wetting down the body, soaping up and then rinsing off using the utensil and the bucket of water.

CharlieTuna
10-01-2010, 06:45 PM
stinky clams, and stinky bunker
Let it sit outside for a day or 2 before the noreaster. Then, right before you leave the house, pop it in the microwave on "high" for 10 minutes. This will guarantee a most pungent aroma for the fish, and that your wife or girlfriend will be glad to have you gone a day or 2 as you pursue the cows on the beach during the noreasters.

If I did that I would be a dead man, my wife would kill me. Although I suppose you could double bag the stuff, and use clam string to keep it on the hook. Maybe bring some super glue along with you in case the string didn't work.:thumbsup:

Pebbles
10-01-2010, 09:13 PM
:upck:This is all I have to say!!!!!!!!!!

gjb1969
10-01-2010, 09:28 PM
DID NOT NEED TO SEE THE PILE OF CRAP:upck::upck::don't know why::skunk:

bababooey
10-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Boy you folks really know how to turn a post into crap!:eek:

bababooey
10-02-2010, 03:45 PM
:laugh: Hey can anyone get in on the northeaster advice, or is it just for you surf nuts?

Here's what I do - I look for the biggest waves, maybe 6-10 feet, and run my boat through them. I have whole bunker rigged up, with a bowling ball attached to keep it down. The key to this is to let the wave action of the boat jig the bunker so it looks like it's live. Maybe I can catch a 50 pounder this way. I'll be trying again during the next northeaster, and will let you guys know how I do. Here is a pic from the last time I was out.
And thanks again fellas, your posts really inspired me.

fishinmission78
10-03-2010, 12:42 AM
:laugh: Hey can anyone get in on the northeaster advice, or is it just for you surf nuts?

Here's what I do - I look for the biggest waves, maybe 6-10 feet, and run my boat through them. I have whole bunker rigged up, with a bowling ball attached to keep it down. The key to this is to let the wave action of the boat jig the bunker so it looks like it's live.

Bowling ball, eh?;)

basshunter
10-04-2010, 03:52 PM
When faced with a big swell, first toss a pitchfork out in the surf. Or swim out about 100' and plant it in the sand, attaching a line to it with a pulley. Then you can throw your clams out, anchored to the pitchfork, and they won't go to far.:)

albiealert
10-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Let me add to the legacy here.;)
I have a slingshot/walking stick I made out of a large tree branch. Whenever I go to Montauk and the waves are high, I bring my trusty slingshot with me. I have an old inner tube suspended between the branches.
To get past the waves, I take the clams and tie onto the hook with dental floss soaked in garlic. Then I pull back on the slingshot, and toss the clam snot out there. I attach the sinker with a rubber band, which breaks away from the clam when it lands in the water. I'm still a novice with my sling shot technique, but I have been able to get it out there 100 yards by doing this.

bababooey
10-04-2010, 04:52 PM
When faced with a big swell, first toss a pitchfork out in the surf. Or swim out about 100' and plant it in the sand, attaching a line to it with a pulley.

Ah yess the old pitching for bass tecnhique.:d

jonthepain
10-08-2010, 04:59 PM
you guys are crazy

DarkSkies
10-31-2010, 08:42 PM
Method of fishing - clam and bunker buffet rig.
Why bother fishing them separately? Put them together on a hi-low to increase your chances. This will also keep the cow nose rays away, as the clam swinging near the bunker acts like a scarecrow to spook them.

Satellite TV

But this was a southeaster so instead of my clam and bunker head hi-low rig with 16 ounce storm sinker . I guess I'll use my heaver and conventional reel with the super secret clambrella rig

So on Oct 1, 2010 and in some threads last year, we jokingly suggested here that folks use a clam and bunker combo rig. Finchaser gets the credit on this one as the humor came out in one of our conversations. He should have patented it, he might be half as rich as Bill Gates now. :d :rolleyes:

Because....guys are now using this as a way to catch more fish when fishin bait! :eek:

It was "just" reported on a popular tackle shop website that this is what the fish really want, and it's the new killer presentation for bait fishermen. Who woulda thunk it? :huh: Gotta give credit to Finchaser for his twisted humor. :ROFLMAO :clapping: :HappyWave:

dogfish
10-31-2010, 08:52 PM
That's the stupidest thing I ever heard of, fishing clams and bunker on the same rig. Everyone knows you need to put spearing on a separate hook on the top in case there are any fluke around, and you guys left that part out.:beatin:
I don't know the tackle shop yer talking about, but I would guess he said that because he had a lot of clams and bunker left over from the weekend and didn't want to have to throw them out. PT Barnum said there was a sucker born every minute. B&T owners will do anything they can to get customers out fishing. My .02.

jigfreak
11-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Gotta love it. Clam and bunker combo make everyone a bass fisherman.

bababooey
03-17-2011, 04:04 PM
I was wondering if any of the sharpies here will be using the clam and bunker combo rig, as I heard the bunker are around?
Thanks for the help guys. I still am debating which will be more effective so I appreciate all advice.:) Love that clambrella, finchaser.

DarkSkies
08-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Bababooey, Killie is the original inventor of the Clambrella.
That thing almost got more mileage among saltwater fishermen than Ronco's pocket fisherman. :laugh:

DarkSkies
08-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Hurricane Irene update....

Just a FYI that Finchaser will be running a very special advanced surf seminar on the Beach Sunday afternoon at Long Branch. :kooky: :rolleyes: :laugh: :HappyWave:
One of the topics will be how to fish clams after a noreaster, and why clams are the best bait around and you should all throw your artificials away. :drool: :bigeyes:

Right after that we will adjourn to Pier Village where Monty and Surfstix will be demonstrating their teaser/tube making abilities in 50mph wind.

Surfstix will then compete with Finchaser in a 10 minute rant on the NOAA, Lubchenko, and the state of fishing as it relates to the US economy. :argue: The loser of this contest gets to buy a beer for everyone but me and Pebbles, who will gladly accept coffee, straight up.

If there is a tie between these 2 old grouchy Crabs/Bastards,
Darkskies will force a tie breaker by wearing his smelly waders and getting as close to possible to the lingering voters.....
:upck:

Madcaster may be coming with some prototype plugs that will enable us to fish 15-20' waves.

Bababooey will be providing tall glasses of the hard liquor for anyone man enough to sit through that. :scared:

Surfwalker is bringing a BBQ grill and will be grilling us some fresh roasted plover blackened Cajun style....

Albiealert will bring a giant slingshot to catch bluefish from 2 miles offshore with in case we run out of plovers.

Storminsteve will bring some clambrella rigs and assist Finchaser in the demonstration.

Dogfish will be coming down from MA with a truckload of extra fresh fertilizer to dump in front of Dr Lubchenko's office.

Killie may make a surprise appearance with some free Effumall T-shirts, and maybe even have the one he promised me 2 years ago....

GJB will be showing up with a bucket of dirty water to symbolically mix with dogfish's fertilizer.

Sharkhart has said he might be there to video it all....

And if if gets too rough, Captain Atomic, Speedy, has promised to come along and blow the rough surf away with one of his infamous atomic butt blasts. :ROFLMAO Or, he will just give us some new 12lb pencil poppers he has been working on, and we can with a few mighty heaves break that swell down...

Jonthepain , provided he isn't buried in rain down in NC, will try to attend with one of the junk cars that frikkin hippie redneck keeps in his yard. (if he can get it started, ya know it's been sitting there for 5 years....) :kooky:

Vpass will be bringing some custom rigged 15' sluggos. the plan is to try to throw them out all in unison to stem the stom surge. If not they will provide a small barrier for the acres of sea foam that will be kicked up.
And JustEd said he may come down from Rhodie, providing he can get his bicycle to ski on top of the water.....:viking: :HappyWave:

That's all, folks, see ya's there. :rolleyes:

surfstix1963
08-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Is everyone double posting:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

DarkSkies
08-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Nope, SS, it's just the meds you're taking.....get ready for the next earthquake at 10:45pm...:):HappyWave:

Monty
08-25-2011, 10:38 PM
:ROFLMAO Great day for the first official S and A get together....... Dark, Surprised your available and not taking Pebbles out fishing.....:HappyWave:

15-20 foot waves...:wheeeee:

storminsteve
08-25-2011, 11:13 PM
Yes I will bring the clambrella rigs and the strait jackets. This thread is hilarious, dark sooner or later you should seek professional help but wait till after the surf bag giveaway please:d

cowherder
08-25-2011, 11:34 PM
Loved it! If we are not on the list are we invited too?

dogfish
08-26-2011, 04:14 AM
Shirley you can't be serious? One truckload of crapola coming up.

surfwalker
08-26-2011, 12:32 PM
I won't have to bring a grill, we'll just BBQ them on the cages that are supposed to protect them. ....a little home made red, sounds good.

jonthepain
08-26-2011, 05:44 PM
I just got off the phone with DS.

Actually, he's probably still talking, but my phone's battery only lasts a couple of days...

Anyway, before it died, he said he's gonna bring a couple of cords of firewood for the plover roast.

and a couple of teenage stepsons to help split it :laugh:

See y'all there.

gjb1969
08-26-2011, 06:52 PM
no beer for me that stuff dose not tuch my lips anymore soda is fine:rolleyes:

surfstix1963
08-26-2011, 08:28 PM
how to fish a nor'easter do fish before it and into the begining of it then stay home and wait for the water to clean up and you relocate all the new structure that has shifted. thats all.

DarkSkies
08-27-2011, 08:01 AM
Loved it! If we are not on the list are we invited too?

Cowherder, those are some of the funny invites I could think of. No elitism here, all are invited....
And to be clear, this is a spoof of the hype out there, I know you know I wouldn't encourage any of you folks to come out in that weather... ;) :HappyWave:

I just got off the phone with DS.
Actually, he's probably still talking, but my phone's battery only lasts a couple of days....Anyway, before it died, he said he's gonna bring a couple of cords of firewood for the plover roast.
Boy do you know me well...http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon11.png :laugh: :clapping: :HappyWave:

and a couple of teenage stepsons to help split it :laugh:

^ There's a better chance of Finchaser switching to Democrat before that happens. :kooky: :clapping: :laugh:

For those who are only tuning in now...this whole thread is a spoof of the people who chatter on internet boards about the fantastic noreaster and storm fishing. Someone who truly believes that holds true doesn't have a clear understanding of weather as it relates to fishing (except in specific instances like Montauk where the bait will hug the point in a foul weather pattern).

The one window of "quality" Noreaster fishing opportunity is usually before it happens, as the barometric pressure drops and the fish put on the feed. Once the storm actually hits the bite usually shuts down until many days after, as surfstix indicates above....

Yet there are so many threads out there talking about the fantastic Noreaster fishing :huh: that we thought we would have a little fun here and poke some fun at the misguided theories and advice people are holding to be true.....

The true fall pattern of a hard Northwest pattern is a preferred one for the fall as in many (but not all) areas it pushes bait out of the bays and into the surf zone for some epic fishing (with clear water) :drool:, as opposed to the garbage and debris kicked up after a heavy Noreaster. That's one of the reasons I created West Wind Wally...
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5418-West-Wind-Wally-thread...-a-SHOWDOWN!-NE-vs-NW-fishin....-PARENTAL-ADVISORY&highlight=west+wind+wally

Stay safe, and be careful out there if you have to go out, folks.

Hope ya enjoyed the BBusting, it's all in fun.... :cool: :HappyWave:

Pebbles
08-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by jonthepain http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?p=52311#post52311)
"and a couple of teenage stepsons to help split it :laugh: "

"There's a better chance of Finchaser switching to Democrat before that happens."

REMEMBER There are two sides to every story and HIS is the wrong one!! :beatin:

DarkSkies
08-27-2011, 08:22 AM
^^ Still love ya, Pebbles, even if ya don't love mehttp://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png, today.... :kiss: :)

surfstix1963
08-27-2011, 10:01 AM
OH OH what did ya want to go kayaking today.

DarkSkies
08-27-2011, 07:32 PM
^Hey COB, you nailed it.... :) I wanted to hit the NS of LI last night, there was a "window" and I knew it wouldn't start raining and kicking up the wind till 12noon today...but "someone" :heart: felt it would be too risky and gave me a lecture....Oh well....:don't know why:
Finchaser climbed through that window before it shut down and nailed some nice bass,,,,,:clapping: :thumbsup: now maybe he'll fish artificials for a bit longer....:laugh: :fishing:

porgy75
08-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Finchaser climbed through that window before it shut down and nailed some nice bass:

maybe thats because he's a master fisherman and you said you are a googan!:HappyWave:

albiealert
08-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Ha ha that was so funny, fishing seminar on the beach in a hurricane. You should have someone passing out those NJ whitefish in the plastic trojan packs to everyone who comes. I will bring the slingshot, lol.

bababooey
08-28-2011, 10:03 AM
maybe thats because he's a master fisherman and you said you are a googan!:HappyWave:

X2, that's why Dark is famous for carrying that googan bucket. Love this thread, funny stuff!:ROFLMAO :clapping::clapping::clapping:

jonthepain
08-28-2011, 09:13 PM
now i know why rich sleeps in his car so much...

it's more comfortable than the couch

;)

jonthepain
08-28-2011, 09:17 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/jonthepain/googanbucket.jpg

storminsteve
09-21-2012, 02:06 PM
well when we get a bad storm at least we know that finchaser and his crew will be ready!
Love that googan bucket, the graphics and artwork are so professional. Did you have someone do that for you?:rolleyes:

hookset
09-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Funny stuff.

porgy75
09-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Bababooey, Killie is the original inventor of the Clambrella.
That thing almost got more mileage among saltwater fishermen than Ronco's pocket fisherman. :laugh:

I think I remember that. That guy killy made the clambrella famous.

finchaser
09-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Yes Killie did make it famous and then Killie and I started the Effemall fishing club

gjb1969
09-22-2012, 12:47 AM
careful thats how:thumbsup:

DarkSkies
09-22-2012, 04:55 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/jonthepain/googanbucket.jpg

well when we get a bad storm at least we know that finchaser and his crew will be ready!
Love that googan bucket, the graphics and artwork are so professional. Did you have someone do that for you?:rolleyes:

Yes Killie did make it famous and then Killie and I started the Effemall fishing club

Steve, that childish magic marker scribbling you see... that's all mine...:o :laugh:

Porgy, good reference to Killie...
I think with all the websites that clambrella has shown up on., Killie's name sometimes gets lost in the shuffle....
That's too bad, because Killie is a great graphics artist. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:
And a fun guy to fish with....**(when he actually shows up to fish...) :rolleyes:

Finchaser and Killie were the Original Founders of the EFFUMALL Club.... :wheeeee:
It started as a joke, and actually took off like Gangbusters.....

Who in their right mind would buy a shirt for a Fishing Club that had no real presence except for the internet?...
Lots of guys did...and I'm convinced that KILLIE had a million $$ idea, if he just pushed it a little further....

The only problem, if it became nationally popular., I wouldn't want to be a member anymore....
The only club out there, that was "anti-club" and filled with misfits like some of the early members were...good times...:thumbsup: :fishing:

DarkSkies
09-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Some more about the EFFUMALL Club, for those who have an interest....

Effumall and discussion of the club anthem

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5541-effumall&highlight=effumall+club

(http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5541-effumall&amp;highlight=effumall+clubhttp://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5525-help-needed&amp;highlight=effumall+club<BR><BR)

More....
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5525-help-needed&amp;highlight=effumall+club

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5183-Who-needs-custom-T-shirts-or-stickers-at-a-great-price-EFFUMALL!!!&amp;highlight=effumall+club

Clambrella Rigs...
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7147-HOW-TO-fish-a-Noreaster!&highlight=clambrella+rigs

And a West Wind Ralph discussion on googan buckets and Effumall...:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&amp;v=-_nqYhgqOTs

DarkSkies
11-11-2012, 03:07 PM

A little satiric humor about noreasters, just to help get some of our minds off the sadness........

buckethead
02-13-2014, 08:56 AM

clambrella and the effumall club that brought back some memories. Anyone up for some surf fishing? Winds are 34mph on the beach now, gusts to 38mph.;)
http://www.surfchex.com/manasquan-web-cam.php

finchaser
02-13-2014, 09:02 AM
Just got back tried the fly rod with clams as it was a little brisk for a fly. just a bunch of shorts:fishing::HappyWave: Even wore my Effum all hoodie to stay warm

storminsteve
02-13-2014, 09:13 AM
clambrella and the effumall club that brought back some memories. Anyone up for some surf fishing? Winds are 34mph on the beach now, gusts to 38mph.;)
http://www.surfchex.com/manasquan-web-cam.php

Just got back tried the fly rod with clams as it was a little brisk for a fly. just a bunch of shorts:fishing::HappyWave: Even wore my Effum all hoodie to stay warm

haha rofl! You guys are hardcore thanks for the intel! I'll get my clambrella gear and try for after the storm stops. finchaser was this in moco or occo? clams on a fly rod lol.:clapping:

bababooey
02-13-2014, 09:45 AM

Curious about the mechanics of the clam and fly rod combo. Did you use an inline egg sinker for distance against the wind or was the weight of the clam enough to get it out there with the 38mph winds?:HappyWave:

finchaser
02-13-2014, 10:19 AM
I use a littleneck clam on the 1/2 shell with hole drilled for hook to go through

ledhead36
03-07-2014, 06:12 PM
I know there is a lot of joking going on in this thread but the conditions outside have me drooliing. Every year in the bay the first noreaster is when we catch nice bass. Like clockwork we fish the beginning 24 hours before and its like someone turned a switch on. This year we cant because its too cold. The water temps are around 38 and unless you're fishing a warm water outflow you won't catch numbers like we usually do. Hoping for this cold to fade away and some sunny days to stack up so we can get out there. Ol man winter get lost you have outworn your welcome.

DarkSkies
04-18-2014, 09:28 AM
^ Good point, led.....:thumbsup:..I remember those conditions too.....usually signal the start of some good action......
Back when I used to fish bait a lot I was out one night at 1am at Sandy Hook. It was hours before a pending noreaster in the morning......
The ocean was rough, big surf, and some wind...but no rain as of then....I figured I had till the morning....

I was catching bass....I think I had 6 or 7 bass to mid teens within 1 1/2 hours.......and then the storm started....first rain...then lightning......
I knew the rods could act as lightning rods so I laid down on the beach, away from them, after reeling them in quickly......the rain and lightning continued as I lay there curled up in the fetal position as flat as possible.......eventually there was a break in the weather. I made a break for the vehicle and got the hell out of there......looking back it was not the smartest move to be out in that weather...could have been killed....but I was younger and dumb......and the fish were hungry...

** The OGB asked me to advise ya's that all we need........ to bring the thousands of fish to the beach (the fish that aren't there anymore) is the next noreaster.....and that after that it will be EPIC....:rolleyes: :HappyWave:

storminsteve
04-19-2014, 08:36 AM
^^^^^^ Well looks like he was right! They're here with sea lice.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?9458-NJ-Fishing-Reports-for-April-2014-www-StripersAndAnglers-com/page5

finchaser
04-19-2014, 04:35 PM
Also the Dogwoods are in full bloom

Tulips – arrival ofwinter flounder
Dogwood –arrival of striped bass
Lilac – weakfish arein town
Forsythia – bluefishand fluke are on the move

September’s fullharvest moon has a tremendous effect on both weakfish and striped bass whichtake it as a sign to start their annual southern migration. During this lunar period juvenile species ofboth predator and prey are driven outward along the shoreline.

Wind from the North,fish come forth
Wind from the South,fish shut there mouth
Wind from the East,fish come to feast
Wind from the West,fishing is the best

bababooey
04-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Good call finchaser

bababooey
09-09-2014, 04:41 PM
All right who's the one from this site who will be photographed on the Squan jetty? must be some fish there it looks real fishy!:laugh:

Even the surfers took off today. You can just barely see 3 of them in the right half of the photo.

finchaser
09-09-2014, 08:25 PM
fished the back inside of the inlet and river for 3 hours just got in water is like chocolate milk full of weed no bait and no fish did it to prove a point to some one

DarkSkies
09-09-2014, 08:30 PM
^ It wasn't me. :kiss::HappyWave:

finchaser
09-10-2014, 01:13 PM
but I bet you were out

jigfreak
09-25-2014, 07:48 PM
All right who's the one from this site who will be photographed on the Squan jetty? must be some fish there it looks real fishy!:laugh:

I was watching that jetty on the cam today. Swells breaking over the front. How much do you want to bet some dilly will put himself out there before tomorrow. Where are the slobs being weighed in today?

hookedonbass
12-09-2014, 08:51 PM
Well with all the talk about northeasters I don't think anyone was out there yesterday or today. Real typhoon type weather equals no bass. The only stripers to be found in this weather are in the tank at Cabelas lol.

storminsteve
12-10-2014, 08:30 AM
Yup thats where all the cows are!

lostatsea
12-13-2014, 11:24 AM
I use a littleneck clam on the 1/2 shell with hole drilled for hook to go through
Love this thread it should be part of the best of here. Awesome advice and graphics.;)

jigfreak
12-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Yep clambrellas, littleneck clams with holes drilled, googs fishing on the tips of inlets this thread has it all. Good read I skim through it every winter for the sage wisdom.

jigfreak
09-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Did anyone else look at the Squan surf cam this morning? I saw two idiots three quarters of the way out on the jetty. they had rods and gear with them.

VSdreams
09-30-2015, 03:12 PM
Darwin's theory of evolution? You can't fix stupid? I don't have an answer because Ididn't see it. There is always someone out there who thinks when waves are crashing 10 feet over a jetty there will be a striper in the pocket lol.

VSdreams
09-30-2015, 03:14 PM
:scared:Whos going to be the first to break out the clambrella? Love this thread gents I was bored at work today and read over it. Some if it is priceless.

cowherder
09-30-2015, 08:18 PM
Don't doubt the magic clambrella! During Joaquin the real sharpies will be at the inlets between the wave sets trolling clambrellas along the sides and looking for the cows.

SharkHart
11-16-2015, 09:09 AM
A lot of ibsp crew their god at the tackle shop told them they needed hard NE " bass water". To get things going. WelL if u seen some of the videos. Flat ocean wasnt too bad. These fish moved into town on the tail of that hard nw saturday. Unfortunately that hard NE tuesday sent the blues offshore. IF they come back into all these peanuts mixing with the bass. Ohh man. Could get wild

hookset
11-16-2015, 12:34 PM
Totally agree bass water is for internet fishermen. Funny thing if you go back and see who was talking about basswater and crushing fish in noreasters a few years ago they are strangely silent about that now.

lostatsea
02-08-2016, 07:06 AM
No one is going to be fishing THIS noreaster.

finchaser
02-08-2016, 10:14 AM
Yesterday Mantoloking

http://link.patch.com/click/6063653.3903/aHR0cDovL3BhdGNoLmNvbS9uZXctamVyc2V5L2JyaWNrL3dhdG NoLXdhdmVzLWFnYWluLXBvdW5kLWJhcnJpZXItaXNsYW5kLWJl YWNoZXMtMD91dG1fc291cmNlPWFsZXJ0LWJyZWFraW5nbmV3cy Z1dG1fbWVkaXVtPWVtYWlsJnV0bV90ZXJtPWNvbW11bml0eSUy MGNvcm5lciZ1dG1fY2FtcGFpZ249YWxlcnQ/4dee4c2352366d35635521fcB5b0cafbf

plugginpete
01-23-2017, 03:02 PM
I will bet no one is out there fishing today.

finchaser
01-23-2017, 05:12 PM
I will bet no one is out there fishing today.

Wind gusted 77 miles per hour at 1:29 PM today at Manasquan inlet

hookedonbass
01-25-2017, 09:17 AM
:scared::scared:

lostatsea
09-20-2017, 10:01 AM
It amazes me the # of people in the internet bragging about great fishing during a northeaster. You should ask these 5 people that had to be rescued, how that worked out for them.
http://wpri.com/2017/09/17/several-people-hospitalized-after-being-knocked-off-jetty-in-narragansett/

surferman
09-20-2017, 11:03 AM
what the heck is wrong with people, do they really think they will catch in those conditions?