PDA

View Full Version : NY fishing reports for October 2010

DarkSkies
10-02-2010, 08:48 AM
LI fishing: NY fishing reports for October 2010
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.
Some acronyms -

BP -- Breezy Point

CB -- CrossBay Bridge
CI -- Coney Island

Demo -- Sore Thumb/ Democrat Point

FB -- Floyd Bennett
FI -- Fire Island
FT -- Fort Tilden Park
FW -- Fort Wadsworth

GSB - Great South Bay

Jones -- Jones Beach/Debs
WE -- West End

JBay -- Jamaica Bay
LB -- Long Beach

MB -- Manhasset Bay
MI -- Moriches Inlet or nearby
MPP -- Marine Parkway Bridge

LNB - Little Neck Bay
OB -- Oyster Bay
PB -- Peconic Bay

RM -- Robert Moses

SB -- Sheepshead Bay

Shinny -- Shinnecock Inlet or nearby
SI -- Staten Island

NS -- North Shore
SS -- South Shore

Mecca -- if you gotta ask where that is, can't help ya :D

DarkSkies
10-02-2010, 08:49 AM
_Bassbuddah,
you won the plug in the September random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:
PM me your address so I can send it out to ya!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits, or something similar.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)

Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site! :clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&thumb=1&d=1238965319 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&d=1238965319)

pescador29
10-04-2010, 04:27 PM
staten island, we fished the beach today and we got 3 stripers and 5 bluefish on bunker and clams. We kept the biggest striper 30" and threw the others back, they were too short.

nitestrikes
10-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Fished a SS beach in the rain this AM. 1 short bass on a 3 oz tin, one fluke on the teaser.

strikezone31
10-07-2010, 10:26 AM
I fished on a friend's boat out of Montauk last night. We were eeling, and the fishing was great. We landed almost a dozen fish, the biggest one was 31pounds. What a rush!

rockhopper
10-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Jones area 5-9am, got into a lot of little schoolies to 23" this morning, all on tin, 2 oz.

nitestrikes
10-08-2010, 11:42 AM
SS early today, one bass 32" on bucktail and pr.

BassBuddah
10-08-2010, 02:23 PM
I fished M yesterday. It was a good afternoon bite, mostly bass, some blues, the fish ranged from 6# to 20# caught on the beach. My biggest for the day was 19lbs, released. They were on rainbait, tins with a bucktail teaser produced well. Also buck and pork brought in a few nicer bass.

strikezone31
10-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Eels at Montauk again today, fish to 27 pounds this time. The number of boats off the point were crazy, so we set up off the north shore and did ok.

rockhopper
10-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Late report fished montauk over the weekend for some epic fishing. There were blitzes right at sunrise, and then it would die down a bit, and then start up again in the afternoon. The amount of fish jumping out of the water was lunacy. The dance of death was spread out over a long stretch of beach and was some of the best fishing I have ever seen. I got mostly bass on bucks, and my biggest went 44 inches, released. Get up there guys it's worth it!

DarkSkies
10-12-2010, 10:54 AM
^ I'm getting daily reports from up there, people. Blabbing about great action and bass thumb, sore shoulders, etc. :HappyWave: Catch em up, good luck to all. :thumbsup:

nitestrikes
10-14-2010, 12:25 PM
They don't call it the fishing capital of the world for nothing DS.;)
I only had time for a quick trip this morning, fished the ss 5-6am, one runt bass on pork and buck.

rockhopper
10-14-2010, 12:28 PM
I hit the North shore on incoming tide this morning, got 3 monster blues on bunker chunks, one 23" bass.

nitestrikes
10-15-2010, 11:21 AM
SS, 4 bass to 30", pork and buck.

crosseyedbass
10-15-2010, 11:47 AM
I fished a favorite north shore spot from 5-8am, it was cold and windy. Got a few nice bluefish on heavy tins though.

BassBuddah
10-15-2010, 12:27 PM
I made a late afternoon trip to M yesterday. It was the kind of fishing that keeps guys honest and prevents a massive daily build up of crowds there, in other words a very slow pick. Managed a 28" bass on bucktail before dark, released. Didn't see much others into action either.

strikezone31
10-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Fished out of Shinny on my cousin's boat today, we got bass to 22lbs on eels, kept 2, and there were also some big buefish around when the tide started moving.

rockhopper
10-18-2010, 10:02 AM
Fished 6 to 8a, a few nice bluefish on tins, SS.:lookhappy:

BassBuddah
10-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Worked some of the sand beaches at M this morning in the rain. There were a lot of cookie cutter bass, I managed 16 to 30". Most were around the same size. Good morning on the water.

nitestrikes
10-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Last nite, SS, threw the bag, nada.

rockhopper
10-21-2010, 07:42 AM
Fished near an inlet, 4-7:30, 5 bass to 29", 2 monster blues, threw a ml swimmer and darter.

nitestrikes
10-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Last night, SS, blanked again. Time for another trip to mecca.

strikezone31
10-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Take to the boats fellas. We got into a nice mess of bass about 1/2 mi offshore of Tobay this morning. A little too far to cast, but definitely reachable by boat. 3-4 oz jigs did the trick. Good luck.

nitestrikes
10-24-2010, 01:54 PM
This morning I got 5 bass to 38", and one sick angry gator bluefish. South shore, 2-6am, darter did the trick.

rockhopper
10-25-2010, 11:44 AM
I fished Montauk yesterday. It wasn't that crowded considering it was a sunday. We had some fish around 6 to 9am, mostly bass. Then it got a little better around 3 to 6pm, bass and blues. I got about 12 bass to 30", and at least twice that many blues. The fish were on rainbait, and small tins were the ticket for most of them.

nitestrikes
10-25-2010, 10:42 PM
I had a panic attack last night. I felt my chest tighten with all the air around here, and had to breathe some fresh M air. That was the only cure for me. ;)

I got there at 4am, and we had fish from 5 to almost 10. It wasn't steady, but it was still a decent bite anyway. Most fish were smaller sized along with some bluefish. Managed 8 bass, biggest about 13, and a few bluefish. Metal with chartreuse tail.

pescador29
10-29-2010, 07:27 PM
I fished staten island after work today, we got 5 blues with bunker.

rockhopper
10-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Fished Jones 4-7, threw big swimmers and darters :skunk:

nitestrikes
10-29-2010, 10:18 PM
I hit a sand beach 5 till sunset, one dink bass on a tin.

BassBuddah
10-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Drove to mecca, fished hard for a few hours, and only 5 short bass to show for it. Caught on tin with green tail, it was pretty windy.

nitestrikes
10-31-2010, 04:26 PM
Fed near an inlet until sunrise, got one 17# bass on an eel. Not a thing on bucktails or tins in the 7 hours I was there.

mick2360
10-31-2010, 07:50 PM
Spent the weekend on Eastern LI. Loads of small to middling bass; one bigger keeper this morning on a kastmaster. Nice 8-10 minute battle.....it'll have to last the winter, doubt I'll get out again.

BassBuddah
11-01-2010, 10:51 AM
^Nice work, it seems the heavy blitzes are dying down. Nice going with the Kastmaster. I also find a small hopkins dressed with a white tail works well too.

mick2360
11-01-2010, 07:28 PM
^Nice work, it seems the heavy blitzes are dying down. Nice going with the Kastmaster. I also find a small hopkins dressed with a white tail works well too.

I seemed to time it right; outgoing tide and first light. Managed to find a 'bowl' where the combination of incoming water and the flush created a washing machine like swirl of current. Had 'em all to myself as the truck jockeys whizzed by chasing birds. Being a foot guy, I have to work the water I can get to. I try to get out early, before the beach is crowded. Just me and a regular Montauk sharpie, a guy I see at night pretty frequently.

As for the kastmaster, the day before it was a chatreuse bucktail w/red pork. That was doing nothing so I decided to go for the bigger profile. :HappyWave:

Monty
11-02-2010, 06:02 AM
Sounds like an awesome weekend, and a big fish :thumbsup:

Spent the weekend on Eastern LI. Loads of small to middling bass; one bigger keeper this morning on a kastmaster. Nice 8-10 minute battle.....it'll have to last the winter, doubt I'll get out again.

DarkSkies
11-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Way to catch em up Mick!
Glad to see ya finally got out there, WTG! :clapping::thumbsup: :HappyWave: