PDA

View Full Version : Up or Down

porgy75
10-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Do you fish with your rod tip up or down? Does it matter in different weather conditions.

cowherder
10-25-2010, 09:12 PM
I fish with the tip down when fishing metal in a rough surf. Tip up when it's calm so I can jig it a bit. When I fish plugs I try to hold it sideways in case a fish bites and I can get a good hookset. That's just the way I do it from the tips I learned here. Hope that helps.

jigfreak
10-25-2010, 09:52 PM
It also depends on where you are fishing in the surf. It's different if you are fishing the rocks, as opposed to the sand. What you should think about is how your presentation appears when you are reeling it in. For plugs on the surface, it's a no brainer. For other things, put some thought into it.

buckethead
09-23-2012, 06:45 PM
What you should think about is how your presentation appears when you are reeling it in. For plugs on the surface, it's a no brainer. For other things, put some thought into it.

I would add to this by saying you need to think about how the sweep is and the current if you are fishing areas where current moves fast like inlets or rips. You want to have what you are tossing work with the current, and sometimes against. I find that night this is even more important as the fish may be laying a certain way to ambush bait.

Rip-Plugger
09-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Do you fish with your rod tip up or down? Does it matter in different weather conditions.

Hi Porgy75,

when I am plugging,my rod tip is pointed in the direction the line is so I can get a full swing when theres a hit.
while I am fishing smiling bills and such,I point the tip at the line and lift it up a bit with a short,snap type action.
with krocodiles and such,same thing,I point my tip at the line.
mind you,I am not doing such on porpose,it just is a natural action I have.
is it right?,,,,well I don't know but,it is the way I do it.

R-P15481