PDA

View Full Version : Tackle shops - is it ok to hype the bite?

bababooey
10-27-2010, 11:24 AM
I found a discussion on the barn about tackle shops that hype the bite. I was wondering if guys think it's ok for them to exaggerate, and if so, how much is too much?

"
I hit seaside park today just two blocks south from betty and nicks. First cast within 5 minutes with a mullet rig a 4lb blue. Looked to be a great day. By 9am the winds starting picking up abit. Wave heights went from 2 feet to 4 feet by 10am. There was some beach errosion from the pounding waves. Went from my starting point to area 6. Nobody was catching anything. Had bird action about 1/4 mile out, picked up the binoc's but saw nothing hitting the surface. We took a ride all the way to the end of the island and the beach was cleared out quickly of pickup trucks. Nobody was getting anything today, but Bettyandnicks say's there was a steady bite at 11:47am. Dont know where this report came in from, but it was obviously ********. Winds changed since friday, water wasnt as clear, and all in all the weather got nasty quick. I wonder if these guys tell you a line a crap just to get people down to buy the bait? I talked to a guy next to me who had been there over 4 hours without a bite, but who did get 8 yesterday. "

"b&n will report a washed up can of starkist as a bluefin blitz ,been doing it for years.we used to laugh at the thursday blitz reports,gets people down on the weekend.use reports to get a general feel for what's going on,then figure out your plan from there " :laugh:

gjb1969
10-27-2010, 12:48 PM
its a game they play to make money now i am not saying all shops do it all the time but i know some will bs to get sales i fell for it quite a few times now i dont because i go whenever and its not good to hype the bite :(:(

7deadlyplugs
10-27-2010, 07:33 PM
The point of reporting is to help out your fellow fishermen. A report to make yourself look good shows how much low self esteem one has. If your hyping the bite then stay the hell home.:beatin:

cowherder
10-28-2010, 04:39 AM
I know they need to sell bait, and that's a big part of it. If no one comes in they will be out of business and guys will complain they have to drive further. So we should support all our local tackle shops. That being said, I think the guy at B&N exaggerates a bit, though I do enjoy his daily weather video reports.:thumbsup: I think if you told him to be more honest, he wouldn't get it. So like others said, you have to take these reports with a grain of salt.

As for blowing up a spot, I remember he did that last year in 2 places that I can think of. The day after he posted those reports guys were all over the place, parking haphazardly and it was a zoo! So I think these guys need to think of the effect their reports will bring when 1000 guys read it, and should accept some of that responsibility, even though they are probably not legally liable. my .02.

surfwalker
10-28-2010, 07:58 AM
We've talked about this subject before, and my views remain the same. I read the reports, but it's usually just to find out what areas to avoid. I like to catch, I don't like crowded spots though. So, let them ramble on and let the hordes go to these spots, not me. Just go to your favorite spots and make your own reports, and keep them to yourself.

jigfreak
10-28-2010, 09:54 AM
His father was doing it long before he did. His dad would fish all night, wait till the bite was done, and then hype everybody up and tell them it was still on. You lose a lot of credibility when that happens.

SharkHart
10-28-2010, 11:22 AM
The problem is every now and then they mix in a real blitz! Especially in May/June

SharkHart
10-28-2010, 01:05 PM
this is just Business 101

10/27 10:47 AM The bait bite is on in Normandy Beach. Greg Covi landed 6 bass up to 18 pounds on bunker and he saw another gentlemen landed a 20 pounder. Almost all on bunker

10/28 UPDATED 5:32 AM WE WILL HAVE FRESH BUNKER IN STOCK BY 6:30 AM. Good bass day yesterday wiht fish up to 35 pounds almost all on bunker.

wait for it.....................

10/28 10/28/10 UPDATED 9:57 AM Just had a nice 23 pound bass come off of Seaside Park on a clam, so clams are working as well as bunker. Good thing because bunker is gonna be scarce this weekend. 125 pieces lasted 1 hour this morning.

sell the clams!

:ROFLMAO

plugaholic
11-01-2010, 10:41 AM
sell the clams, sell the clams!
TROhlThs9qY

You've got clams,
If you can't sell the clams, you're a loser!
Only one thing counts in this life, get them to buy the clams!

ABC, always be selling clams,
you sell clams or you hit the bricks

They're waiting to give you their money for those clams,
and your job is to TAKE IT!!!:2flip:

You want to work here,
Sell the clams!!!!:plastered:

ledhead36
11-01-2010, 10:48 AM
They're waiting to give you their money for those clams,
and your job is to TAKE IT!!!:2flip:

You want to work here,
Sell the clams!!!!:plastered:

:clapping::clapping: Hilarious!

fishinmission78
11-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Someone should make t-shirts up that say that. Sell the clams so freaking funny.:laugh: