PDA

View Full Version : NJ fishing reports for November 2010

DarkSkies
11-01-2010, 10:04 AM
NJ fishing reports for November 2010
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
IBSP - Island Beach State Park
LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
AI - Absecon Inlet
CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
CMC - Cape May County
CMR - Cape May Rips
GEI - Great Egg Inlet
TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
BB - Barnegat Bay
CB - Chesapeake Bay
CBBT - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
DB - Delaware Bay

DarkSkies
11-01-2010, 10:07 AM
_Cowherder,
you won the plug in the October random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:
PM me your address so I can send it out to ya!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits, or something similar.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)

Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site! :clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&thumb=1&d=1238965319 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&d=1238965319)

plugaholic
11-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Fished for an hour today before work, 6 to 7. One bass 23" on a black bomber, somoco.

storminsteve
11-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Some nice fish in the surf last night, got 5 to on a blurple magnum bomber, 3 on sluggos, 15lbs biggest and most were keeper sized. All still swimming . Nasty out there, but it was fish on, and lost quite a few as well.

c4charlie
11-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Got my first bass of November early this morning from 3:30-5:30. All of the bass except for one were 12-15lbs or so. Caught about 8 and had just as many hits/taps.

fishinmission78
11-01-2010, 11:12 AM
A nice mix of larger blues to 14# this morning at IBSP. Got many on a redfin, then some more on pencils as they moved out a bit.

captnemo
11-01-2010, 11:25 AM
We got some nice fat bass yesterday late afternon on the outgoing tide. Fished the channels with eels from Ambrose to SHC. 6 bass to 21lbs.

albanyguy1
11-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Did my 1st commando trip from Albany, NY to NJ surf - last thurs and friday.

Thursday - Hit the hook thurs afternoon for the outgoing. zippo. Went back later on to fish a spot loaded w/ sand eels. 1 Striper - a short. Fished another MoCo spot Thursday night managed 2 more stripers - again shorts.

Friday AM - fished OC. 3 Hickory Shad.

Friday Afternoon: Tried a new spot (to me) in MoCo, fish were swirling on sandeels. Caught several fluke. Caught 3 Stripers - shorts, but oh, so close!

Friday evening: Went to another MoCo location, caught 1 more striper. Legal. Had him for supper. Full of sandeels.

Total: 7 Stripers, 3 Hickory Shad, at least 6 fluke. Oh, also a stargazer.

6 of eight stripers hit teaser, 2 on small yozuri.

Fluke - seemed they hit anything that came in front (or above) them.

Can't wait to go back. Hopefully soon.

clamchucker
11-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Fished 6-2 today, various places in OC. 34" bass at sunrise on a gibbs popper. Then a mix of blues on A17 with green tails. Some bruisers. Also, I did see a few larger bass caught on bunker throughout the day.

gjb1969
11-01-2010, 04:22 PM
congrats to all that got fish good job guys:HappyWave::fishing::thumbsup:

SurfSpinner
11-02-2010, 06:01 AM
Got 5 tonight between 8-12am up to 32" and lost two others. Was hooking up right at my feet. My buddy caught 6 up to 30". Water was a bit more stirred then usual. Very cold and windy.

DarkSkies
11-02-2010, 10:00 AM
I fished last night 6-4am, a "short trip" by Monty's standards. :laugh:

Managed 3 to 28". Small profile swimmer at first, then heavy danny as the wind built up. A slow pick, had to visit a few places to put that together. At the next to last place, I met C, a guy who grew up around the same time I did. It was cool to meet someone else who actually went to a Led Zeppelin concert.

We started talking about less fish around, and the "M&M" theory that you folks see mentioned here and on the internet. He told me he read it here. It was nice to run into someone who actually is worried about the future of striped bass. Nice meetin ya, C. :HappyWave:
M&M theory posts 68 & 69
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=760&highlight=m%26amp%3BM+theory&page=7

Surfspinner, your numbers are impressive considering how much the NW sustained winds of 20mph effed up the presentation last night. :thumbsup:

It seemed the winds started the sustained push around 11, and the opportunities were better before then. I jerked around at some rockpiles first instead of going to the striped bass supermarket. :d
Getting tired of all the crowds, and looking to see if some other places are producing. They are, but it's still better on the red X.

Welcome aboard Surfspinner! It was definitely cold and windy last night. All my bass were in close as well. Putting together a catch like that in those conditions deserves a few :clapping: :thumbsup:
WTG. :fishing:

chas527
11-02-2010, 12:26 PM
fished sh this morning. nothing didn't see any one else catch anything either. found a cell phone on north beach turned it in at ranger station.if you lost it thats where it is.

Monty
11-02-2010, 02:37 PM
I fished last night 6-4am, a "short trip" by Monty's standards. :laugh:
Managed 3 to 28". Small profile swimmer at first, then heavy danny as the wind built up. A slow pick, had to visit a few places to put that together.

Thought you may have mixed the times up first (4-6).....:huh:
But 6 to 4 is a nice night out. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Wish I could have joined you.
Congrats on finding/catching some bass.

storminsteve
11-02-2010, 06:55 PM
You should have stayed till the morning Dark (but I guess 10 hours is enough in that cold.) It was nasty this AM!:scared:
Got 4 bass right before sunrise, A-17 jigged slowly. It was a quick bite and turned off soon after. All small fish.

clamchucker
11-02-2010, 08:57 PM
I got 2 bass to 37" this morning, IBSP, pencil poppers, before 7:30. Both released.

SurfSpinner
11-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Surfspinner, your numbers are impressive considering how much the NW sustained winds of 20mph effed up the presentation last night. :thumbsup:

It seemed the winds started the sustained push around 11, and the opportunities were better before then.

Thx.

That night, while walking to my usual spot I pass by an area that is looking choppier and foamier than usual. Even though the wind is coming strong right at me and I got a bomber and teaser on I'm like what the heck, let me give it a try. I cast and the thing falls like 15 feet in front of me. :laugh: I decide it's best to continue walking so I reel it in faster than usual. When I am about to pull my bomber out of the water, BAM, a 32" fatty. We stayed and picked a few more before moving on. It was low tide.

Your right, the opportunity was better earlier in the night.

storminsteve
11-04-2010, 07:41 AM
Fished nomoco, 9-1am. Threw the bag, great nite out but no fish, except for a few hickory shad.

c4charlie
11-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Last night report. 5 short bass and one hickory shad. 4 of the bass and the hickory shad went for a teaser that I tied which I was happy about. Had some other on and offs and also taps to keep me entertained but could not find any bass of size in the 4 spots I tried.

DarkSkies
11-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Thought you may have mixed the times up first (4-6).....:huh:
But 6 to 4 is a nice night out. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You read it right bro, 10 hours for 3 fish. Woo hoo. :wow: :kooky: :kooky:

WTG, Charlie, even the short bass were picky last night. Many guys flat out gave up or assumed they weren't there, because they only focused on the shad and became disinterested.

I fished 6-11:00pm. Bumped into Vpass along the way. :HappyWave:
We fished hard with not much to show for it except some very large shad up to 2#.

As I said, a lot of guys left, and we kept moving as well. After about 3 hours, we ran into some pockets of bass and shad slurping sandeels in close. Many others assumed it was "just shad", or maybe they didn't see them. It was tough to focus under the dark skies, but to us it was exciting and a challenge. All they really wanted was what they were feeding on. Nothing else, including teasers, seemed to match it.

I finally dialed in with the smallest swimmer I had, and Vpass was working a sluggo erratically. Even so, it was a lot of casts for scattered fish. I managed a short bass and lost a few, Vpass dropped a few as well. We also had some fun with the large shad, each having some good action. They would have been awesome action on 6wt fly rod or small spinner. It seems the sizes are starting to vary greatly.

We went through every presentation we had looking for a pattern, and worked to find the bass. Guys shouldn't give up so easily. Even though they were small bass, they were there among the shad, and you gotta play the hand you're dealt sometimes.

Newsflash: no fish were remotely interested in chicken scratch bombers last night. :d

The night was perfect for fishin, light swell, mild SE wind which turned light S, and temps in the 50's. :fishing:

ledhead36
11-04-2010, 01:03 PM
I fished IBSP yesterday afternoon till dark. Got 2 bass, one 32", and one 17lbs. Bunker.

wish4fish
11-04-2010, 01:09 PM
i fished the beach at nomoco last nite got one skate on bunker, my buddies got 3 nice bass the night before the fishing is up and down lately. maybe i should drive south to island beach great catch ledhead36!:clapping:

captnemo
11-04-2010, 04:00 PM
We managed 2 nice bass to 23lbs last night fishing eels in Ambrose.

cardoc765
11-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Hit SH at 5 yesterday morning. Had a friend and 2 of my brothers with me. Tried bait and lures as well. Nothing on the baited hooks. I got 10 nice sized fluke. My brother got 3 shorts 1 keeper. Our friend got 2 shorts and my other brother got skunk. Rough water, hard pelting rain in the face. Tide change made the water worse. Had a moment just before the top of the tide, where we saw bass busting the top of the water 30 feet in front of us. We threw everything at them and couldn't ge tthem to bite. Commerants were feeding right over them. Gave up at 10:30 or so, headed home for a break. Then headed out to OC for a late afternoon try at it. Had RIP with me and he managed to get a nice keeper in the slop and messy white water and multiple giant waves coming in. Had to make sure we stood in no more than a foot of water if that. WTG RIP. Congrats on getting your skunk off your back. Now I need to land a nice keeper bass. But it's all fun and great times on the water. While i haven't got a fall keeper yet, I sure am not missing out on great times with a friends and family.

yukon
11-05-2010, 03:40 PM
I got out early this morning. NoMoCo 4:30 - 8. Got em good on the 9in mega shad. Water was a mess when I left.

rip316
11-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Fished OC county yesterday with Cardoc. Running around like a madman trying to get of work on time to hit the high water. Made it there right before high and was lucky enough to get a nice fat 30 1/2". water was a mess. Got em on metal.

DarkSkies
11-05-2010, 04:16 PM
After I saw Finchaser last night, I moseyed around some OC hotspots. Thought I might run into Killie and mug the guy. Maybe he would have looked at that noreast weather :kooky: and been out fishin. ;) No such luck.

So I did what I do best, scout for fish. First spot I nailed a 20 on a small swimmer, nice fat 38" fish. :drool: Kept moving. The rain had stopped, but kept it up periodically all night. It was cold, rainy, and wet, but the fish don't care about that. :d

Went 2 hours without even a tap as I fished both slack tides, and the flood tide. Eventually the fish turned on, and I started a slow pick on metal and teaser combo.

The teaser was Monty's Magic Teaser. I stupidly never got around to using it before because I don't want to deal with the fluke and the shad. Well, where I was, they weren't a problem last night in the ocean.

Those teasers are so effective, they should be illegal. :rolleyes:

Thanks so much Monty for thinking of me, I'm sold on those teasers. :clapping::clapping: :thumbsup:
I wish I had the dough to give every S&A member one, they're that good.

So make sure you use your sandeel profile teasers, and keep them small. The bait last night may have been bay anchovies plus sandeels as well, another reason for the effectiveness of the teaser.

I didn't have non-stop action, I had to work for the fish. But the action at times was fantastic. I'm still playing the tapes over in my mind. :drool:

Somewhere around 6:30 am, I lost the fish, they just up and disappeared. At least they were around while I was there, much gratitude for that. :thumbsup:

Not one other soul on the dark beach where I was. With all the fog and rain, it looked like the scene from the first Black Sabbath album.

Final tally, 15 bass, no fluke or shad. :lookhappy:
5 of the bass went from 12 to 20#, the rest were smaller.

Nice catches everyone, glad to see people are out there catching. :thumbsup:

Monty
11-05-2010, 05:17 PM
The teaser was Monty's Magic Teaser. I stupidly never got around to using it before because I don't want to deal with the fluke and the shad. Well, where I was, they weren't a problem last night in the ocean.
Those teasers are so effective, they should be illegal. :rolleyes:

They have been my most productive "lure" this fall, by far. They seem to match a profile better than other artificials. Was great hearing that you caught with them. :D

c4charlie
11-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Today, actually, all week my little guys have been wanting to go out to the surf to catch some bass. They always see them dead and they really want to see them alive. I rarely ever fish in the daytime so I thought after the storms that clams would be the ticket. So we get to the spot, and soak some fresh clams. After an hour or so of the little guys braving the cold and nothing. I thought, I would see if the plugs would work. Sure enough, I get a hit on the 2nd cast and hook up but fish gets off as I get him in close.

I tell the little guys to bring in the clams and we are going to plug. 15 min later, I hook up, make sure the fish is hooked good and hand the rod over to my 6yr old. He got to feel the power and strength of a nice 31" or so striped bass. He had the fight of his life.:thumbsup: I wish he could have hooked him but the wind was a bit tough today to keep in contact. Less than a half hour later, we get another bass about the same size. Both bass released.:)

Big success. :D Kids could not stop talking about it all the way home. They also took turns reeling lures in and my older son was casting but not the best day for getting a bite because the wind was bowing the line.

One fish hit my teaser that I tied myself ;) which has gotten over 10 fish in my last 3 outings and another fish went for soft plastic eel.

Check out these pics. These little guys are the future of the sport and they already know a heck of a lot about fishing. I tell them every detail of my night fishing stories, every morning during breakfast or lunch if I can't get up for breakfast.

DarkSkies
11-06-2010, 12:40 AM
Great pics and story Charlie. :thumbsup:
Sounds like they had a blast. :fishing:

My report:
Took Pebbles fishin tonight 8-10pm.
Even Monty's magic teasers could not save me from the :skunk:
Pebbles also beat me, 2 fish (neither of which was a bass) to my 0. :clapping: :thumbsup:

Some fish were caught by others around sunset, all shorts.
Yesterday's fish are heading S. :d

finchaser
11-06-2010, 03:10 AM
Great pics and story Charlie. :thumbsup:
Sounds like they had a blast. :fishing:

My report:
Took Pebbles fishin tonight 8-10pm.
Even Monty's magic teasers could not save me from the :skunk:
Pebbles also beat me, 2 fish (neither of which was a bass) to my 0. :clapping: :thumbsup:

Some fish were caught by others around sunset, all shorts.
Yesterday's fish are heading S. :d

Hope she stood up wind of you and followed you in her car.:scared:

Reason you caught nothing was west wind blew stench off of you and pushed fish offshore.:eek:

Yesterday's fish are heading S.:wow:what a concept

c4charlie
11-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Got to fish with my buddy JimK this early early morning. Surf was big and fish were very hungry. 2nd cast, fish on. We had at least 15 fish and just as many hits and misses. I stopped counting fish when I took a wave right in front with water in my waders and on all of my electronics. Both camera and phone survived. That camera has been dropped in the Salmon River twice and has been in the rain and now a saltwater partial dunking. AND it still works. Don't tell my wife, it is not a waterproof camera. Little Canon Elph that thinks it is waterproof.

My biggest this morning was 32", Jim had the big fish of the day, a 20 pounder.

We had fish for a solid two hours or so from 4-6:30am and then the action just stopped.

Teasers and Xrap for me.

One more of the boys from yesterday...

rip316
11-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Good job there Dad. I fished OC this morning 530 til 9am Water is cleaning up rather quickly. Only saw 4 fish caught 2 left the beach. Had a real nice fish on for a few secs. but he shook loose. Oh well that's fishin. Congrats to the guys that are catching consistently. I have not been so fortunate.

bababooey
11-06-2010, 12:52 PM
They are right offshore guys, I hope some slide into the surf so you can get more consistent action. We had them this morning out of SRI, 40' of water. We had to make quite a few moves to hook up. There was lots of bait, but not every pod held bass. 3 bass to 21lbs, using 4 to 6 oz hammered jigs.

clamchucker
11-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Occo from 5-8am, 2 bass to 33" on ava27 with yellow tail.

cardoc765
11-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Worked on one of my charters today. Headed out at 6 am and got to the mouth of the bay and the swells were huge. One minute i could see sky line, next minute i was looking at a wall of water that was taller than me. No bs. Headed to the bow to anchor up and a big swell forced me to drop to me knees real quick. It was that or fly over to the rail or overboard. Capt even thought i was going over. Nothing on the clams so we dulled anchor and moved around the area and jigged a noce 31 inch bass and 2 big blues. The water started to lay down finally and we headed outside and anchored up and withine 10 minutes of chumming shells, we had a non stop bite for 2 1/2 hours. The guys managed 30 or so shorts in the 26 3/4 - 27 1/2 range and a 6 guy limit. It was time to go in, so we let a fellow charter friend come over and take over our slick. He didn't do as well up till then. he finished out the day good.

c4charlie
11-07-2010, 08:26 AM
Fished 4-7 this morning. It was a bit slow and difficult with the North wind. Not the same non-stop catching as yesterday early am but I did manage two stripers. One was a schoolie who went for my teaser. The other fish was approx 34" bass that was a great fight who went for my soft plastic in some very good current.

Released both fish and was so satisfied from the bigger fish that I had my shortest fishing expedition in a long time. Actually, I just can't stand the daylight hours. The sun comes up and I just can't see a damn thing.

Every time I think that I have figured out a pattern.... NOPE! Luckily, I have been managing to hook up usually but it is never the same even two days in a row.

Not sure if my thumb is going to make it through the season.

vpass
11-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Nice going C4, That's great you must be proud of your kids. :thumbsup::thumbsup::clapping:

finchaser
11-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Killie came to visit me yesterday pointed him in the direction of the beach where it's been going down for 2 days, he scored 25 keepers to 18# between, 4PM and 6PM. This was witnessed and he was the talk of 2 shops this AM. All were released way to go Killie:thumbsup::clapping:

Monty
11-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Fished this morning from 12:00 to around 8:00.
Great time, but had some stuff happen.
Ended up with 7 bass between 22 inches and 28 inches.
At one point I had lost 4 fish in a row that were hooked, one larger one that I could not get out of the wash.:kooky: Power pro line broke 4x. One time on a solid hit/hookset (lost Hogy and teaser):kooky:. On sun up lots of bird action in my face, literally at my feet at times. This happened for an hour or so, could not catch one fish during this time :kooky:.
Caught 3 on the rubber teaser, others on wood and plastic (catching on wood is my favorite way:).)
Bumped into Darkskies,:thumbsup: :HappyWave:
Was great fishing weather till the sun came up.

SurfSpinner
11-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Fished a couple of spots up North from 5-4pm. 12 to 35", but mostly little guys around 22". The bigger ones were caught on clam. Hooked a nice one on a swimmer who peeled off some line for a few seconds and then came loose. Felt bummed when I had to leave just when the bite turned on. It was tough casting earlier in the day.

DarkSkies
11-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Fished a couple of spots up North from 5-4pm. 12 to 35", but mostly little guys around 22". It was tough casting earlier in the day.
5 to 4? You put in a lot of hours in the cold for those fish SurfSpinner, nice effort!

Every time I think that I have figured out a pattern.... NOPE!
I hear ya, the pattern is whatever they're feeding on at that moment, in that stretch of water. Time and tide aren't even consistently reliable this year. You bang them one week on the ebb, at the beginning, and the next week it's the middle of the flood.

Ended up with 7 bass between 22 inches and 28 inches.
At one point I had lost 4 fish in a row that were hooked, one larger one that I could not get out of the wash.:kooky: Power pro line broke 4x. ... On sun up lots of bird action in my face, literally at my feet at times. This happened for an hour or so, could not catch one fish during this time :kooky:...
Bumped into Darkskies,:thumbsup: :HappyWave:
Was great fishing weather till the sun came up.

You definitely had the hot hand last night Monty, congrats on your persistence and willingness to try different presentations in that harsh wind. :clapping: No mention of how cold and windy it was...I think if you were still catchin fish, you would have stayed there till your fingers froze off. :lookhappy:

Killie came to visit me yesterday pointed him in the direction of the beach where it's been going down for 2 days, he scored 25 keepers to 18# between, 4PM and 6PM. This was witnessed and he was the talk of 2 shops this AM.
All were released way to go Killie:thumbsup::clapping:

When Killie puts his mind to it, he's a fishin machine! :clapping: I don't know how that talk ever arose about him shutting the bite down, unless it was a convenient way for guys to blame someone when the bite died as the tide went slack. :don't know why:
WTG Killie, even better on the releases. :thumbsup: :fishing:

DarkSkies
11-07-2010, 01:50 PM
The early bird gets the worm, the late fisherman gets cold fingers.... :d

Overslept and didn't make it down to the water till 5am. Bumped into C4Charlie and Monty :HappyWave: Not a lot of other guys out in that "mild weather". :kooky:

When I left my car it was a tropical 38 degrees. The 7mph NNW forecasted winds were double that, steady at 15+MPH with gusts to 20, making it hard to present. Fortunately the fish were in close, you only had to throw out 25-30 feet. I think C4 caught the last of the bigger fish as that bite shut down within 20 minutes of me getting there. No fish landed by me from 5-8am, a few hits and misses, but my googan ways took over last night. :o

There was then a slow pick of smaller fish until dawn, when the birds went nuts over small bait in the surf.

It could have been anchovies or rainfish. A few of us frantically tried to find the right pattern as we had bass blowing up on the bait 30' out in front of us. Some were caught, in the ratio of one bass for every 500 casts. None for me as I tried to match it with very small metal and small teaser. The teaser in this case might not have been small enough. :don't know why:

Monty was racking his brains as the fish were blowing up right in front. I think we threw every small presentation we had, and even switched it up with extra large in hopes of finding the right combo. No dice. :huh:

It was cool to see the action make that daytime appearance, as northern NJ action usually has been shutting off near sunrise unless it's overcast. Still looking for the days when the bite will transition to lasting for a better part of the day.

Last year by this time we had that type of action going on. I've heard all types of hypotheses for this...

the water isn't cold enough
(it now is)

too much bait in the back bays
(not any more)

waiting for all the big fish to come down from MA, RI, and Montauk
(that waiting should be over as half the fish biomass are now in Cape May and Delaware, or offshore swimming in that direction)

There are less fish around because we've been hammering them beyond the MSY (Maximum Sustainable Yield) for the last 3 years
(my guess is that this is a big part of why we're seeing less action along our surf, but there's not much beyond anecdotal confirmations of this just yet... )

Anyway, remember that the fish (except for the "resident" Hudson fish who now are available to some North NJ anglers) are swimming South every day, rain or shine, wind or not.

Get out there while you can, please be careful if yer fishin in the cold. There's no sense in getting hypothermia over a fish.

Congrats to all who got fish.
Only a few hardcore anglers were willing to brave that night cold and wind. :thumbsup:

Killie, if I had a trophy I'd deliver it to ya tomorrow... :thumbsup: :HappyWave:
I know if Finchaser was out fishin with ya, you'd have twice that many...

and he would have twice whatever your numbers were. :laugh: :fishing:

clamchucker
11-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Fished OC from 4-9am, 6 bass to 14lbs, ava17 with green tail.

Pebbles
11-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Hey Dark I thought you left my house at 2:30 am, Wow I must have really been in a fog.

I had a good time the other night. Caught a skate and a fluke. I must have done ok cause I out fished Dark.:d

clamchucker
11-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Fished OC early this morning before work. I caught 2 keepers on 30" and one 34" both on metal.

fishinmission78
11-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Last night was a winner for me. Fished 4 to 6 last night. Ended up with 8 bass four were a little short and the other 4 were 28" to 32". Used a small teaser with metal. All went back to the great sea.

buckethead
11-08-2010, 06:12 PM
NOMO last night. Started out with some black bombers, then changed to a yellow and orange swimmer and a white and red swimmer. Had no luck with them after about 2 hours of fishing I threw on some metal and caught myself a 34" bass.

captnemo
11-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Had a hard time getting started last night. Never thought I was going to make it out. My gear was all messed up so I took the extra time to make it right.

Went out from 6 to 11. First cast I caught a fluke. Second cast I had a short bass. Then things got slow. I tried all different plugs. Just before I was going to call it a night I put on metal and hooked another bass this time 30".

GeoffT
11-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Skunked last Thursday from 8-11 PM at a popular spot. Despite bassy waters, fog and a light NW, the hard S to N sweep against outgoing made presentations difficult.

Last night, on a hunch I tried a different spot far away from people for the last half of incoming with a brisk NNW. Bingo! Fishing the points where there was turbulence, I managed 18 bass in three hours. Smallest 24". Two biggest went 22 and 24 pounds. Big bombers, sluggos on a jighead and mega-shad were the tickets. I have a feeling they were onto big sandeels. The best part is there wasn't another soul besides me. :thumbsup:

yardvillejimmy
11-09-2010, 07:42 AM
OFFC and two associate members fished OC last evening. Just before dark each associate caught a keeper size bass. I myself caught a 32 inch striper on a yellow bomber and also managed to miss a fish.

DarkSkies
11-09-2010, 09:44 AM
^^ Yardville, so glad to see you guys are getting out there. I guess that means you won't be selling your gear on E-Bay, just yet. :cool:

I fished hard the last 2 days.
Caught some fish.
Released some keepers. :lookhappy:
To everyone I met out there, or bumped into, ;) it was great meeting ya's! :HappyWave:

The cold and harsh winds are making it tough for a lot of people to get out. The fish don't care. Congrats to all who saw some nice fish. :thumbsup:

Even more congrats to the guys I saw releasing keeper after keeper. :clapping::clapping: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

c4charlie
11-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Fished from 8pm until 5am. Caught the most bass I ever caught in one night. Stopped counting after 20. At least 10 keepers, biggest was 17pounds (pictured). It was so good that I went back to the car to get the fly rod out. Unfortunately, the sweep was just too much to contend with so after trying for an hour, went back to plugging. Fish were caught on blurple magnum bomber, small bomber and my hand tied teaser. The fish were not very easy to catch and they also came in waves.

Sandeels were so abundant that I didn't realize that when I brought the stripping basket to the car, one sand eel must have jumped in. Hours later, when I got home, it was still alive. Put it in a bowl for the kids before school and they loved watching it swim and playing with it until it died. Before it did, I took a pic. Here are some of the many pics including the biggest which was a memorable catch for me.

The same teaser has caught me more than 20 stripers and it still works and looks good. I just make sure not to use pliers on the teaser. Good thing these are bass and not blues or it would have been shredded on one fish.

All fish released! Now I got to figure out how to get my work done and get some sleep at the same time.

cardoc765
11-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Fished OC this morning from 5:30 - 11:00. Saw a couple fish caught at the first stop where I spent most of the morning. Then tried a spot a lil south and 3 spots north of where I started and nothing. Lots of shad in the water. Will try again later or tomorow.

gjb1969
11-09-2010, 12:45 PM
way to go with the bass that is a night u will not forget:fishing::HappyWave:

yukon
11-09-2010, 07:10 PM
I had a good night last night. Finally found some fish after hours of searching. At one point decided I was hanging up the gear for the year. I said that's it I'm done no more of this crap. I was freezing and soaked. Thinking to myself what other sane person walks around in the middle of night that has work at 9 chasing around a damn fish... but then I caught a bunch of fish with some nice keepers for 3 hours straight staying out to 4:30 and on the way home decided I'm going back out again tonight. http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Now I just need to figure out how to tell the wife who said when I walked in.. "are you telling me you just fished for 12 hrs'... But honey I caught a bunch of fish! http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/wink.gif

I got a bakers dozen mainly on the incoming. Got 'em on the Felmlee Eel teaser of course, 3 oz SS needlefish, and a crystal minnow. The more action the lure had as it came over the bar the more fish and hits I got. Tight Lines!

LennyD
11-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Nice Report Charlie and Yukon!
Hope when i go wednesday night i'll find them too.
I have a baby coming in 2 months so my time is very limited!

gjb1969
11-09-2010, 08:56 PM
way to go on the fish:fishing::HappyWave:

SharkHart
11-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Big swell and crashing waves late last night, guess from that storm up the coast. was making use of my last vaca day of the week, wondered why i was out in that cross wind and pounding water , I got one bass who was suicidal. the current was very strong and manasquan was pretty floooded at high tide this am.

I saw a guy on another site celebrating the big white water, why do you want a pattern change after a 4 day bite:don't know why: I get mental trying to figure these guys thought process sometimes

buckethead
11-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Fished OC last night 6 to 12. Caught 5 bass all keepers on needlefish with a bucktail teaser. .

finchaser
11-10-2010, 05:50 PM
I saw a guy on another site celebrating the big white water, why do you want a pattern change after a 4 day bite:don't know why: I get mental trying to figure these guys thought process sometimes

Fluke fisherman gone wild now wanna be bass fishermen,read books and articles by self proclaimed pro's :kooky:. You know big water big fish mentality. It's so bad now even the snot slingers can't hold with 10 ounces but they got white water.

LennyD
11-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Im going down tonight, mainly after midnight. Starting north and head south, unless if i get into fish. Anyone going???

fishinmission78
11-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Did good yesterday morning in the park, 11 bass to 30" on metal and teaser. Today I only got 1 on the teaser. The swell was building.
Lenny if I were you I would fish right before sunrise. Unless you're Houdini, getting fish at night is tough with this big surf. The morning bite has been a lot better, except for today. Good luck, be careful.

baitstealer
11-10-2010, 08:04 PM
I fished Sandy Hook from 3-7:45pm tonite. Got one 24" striper on clam. Where are all the fish?

finchaser
11-10-2010, 10:59 PM
I fished Sandy Hook from 3-7:45pm tonite. Got one 24" striper on clam. Where are all the fish?

south;)on sand eels

jigfreak
11-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Where are all the fish?

They are on sandeels like finchaser said. Give them what they are eating, or give them a profile that looks like that. Clams are for people who don't have confidence in any other way of fishing and want to make sure they catch at least a small fish. Right now the best thing is metal or needle plugs. If the wind dies down try other plugs for bigger fish. Or stay with the runts you will catch with clams, if that makes you happy.;)
I fished last night with big needles, 10-12". You had to sling them out far, but the fish were there. Got a little wet too, but got 8 fish to 17lbs. They were all fat migratory fish. Love them sandeels.

jigfreak
11-11-2010, 10:55 AM

Don't bother, people don't really want to learn how to fish by learning from experience. They would rather read it on the internet. They read a book on Montauk and think that applies to water everywhere. They don't realize that every state is different. Northeast and white water makes it tough and dangerous to fish in NJ. Why would you want to make it tougher to catch?:kooky:

porgy75
11-11-2010, 12:49 PM
I got a 28" keeper striper this morning at Island Beach. I fished from 5 to 11. Used clams.

clamchucker
11-11-2010, 02:38 PM
One short bass on metal this morning, 2oz t-hex, OC.
Porgy and others, be careful at IBSP. The beach has lost a lot of sand and some of the paths are very narrow at high tide.

wish4fish
11-11-2010, 04:09 PM
i wuz out there nomoco lookin for all the hardcore surfguys this morning, it waz lousy and the surf looked like the head of a beer nice and foamy. where were u dark i thought you wud be out in that stank. i threw the ava27s, got one fish on, but lost it. casting metal sux! rough surf sux! it kicked my azz, time for a beer!:plastered:

DarkSkies
11-11-2010, 07:03 PM
:clapping: for the guys who got out there today.

Announcement: to Ed K
I took pics of your 2 bass on Sun PM.
Tried to send them to the e-mail you gave me.
Bounced back.
I researched your correct spelling and was able to find you, but not your e-mail. If anyone knows Ed K the fishing fanatic from Mercer County, plse tell him I have some pics to send him. Contact me here at the site, thanks. :HappyWave:

LennyD
11-11-2010, 07:59 PM
i started to fish last night around midnight, the surf was huge and rough. it was kinda dangerous, it was hard to keep the lure in the water, high tide was extremely high + the strong N wind.
After trying my first 2 spots with just hassle i moved south to an inlet, even that was rough so i decided to sleep in the car a little bit.
Started again after 5am , low tide but still looked like high, i only saw one more "crazy'' out there. No fish. still hard to keep the lure in place, even AVA's.
Water was dirty as well.

storminsteve
11-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Same thing for me too Lenny. I fished after work 5-8. The surf in somoco was like chocolate milk. I threw diamond jigs, the 27s and even 47s. Only a few secs in the strike zone. Caught the skunk.:skunk:

LennyD
11-12-2010, 07:53 AM
Same thing for me too Lenny. I fished after work 5-8. The surf in somoco was like chocolate milk. I threw diamond jigs, the 27s and even 47s. Only a few secs in the strike zone. Caught the skunk.:skunk:

Thats my luck, i had one shot for the week and it was the worst for it.
If you guys would let me know how the water clarity is on sunday i'll appreciate it, that might be good for me in the evening to give it one more try.
thanx

c4charlie
11-12-2010, 10:18 AM
So, I went fishing last night from 11pm-3am. Had a difficult time finding the fish. The conditions were not as bad as everyone was talking about where I was. I had a bunch of taps before I finally hooked up. I couldn't tell initially if the taps were coming on the teaser or my soft plastic so I took off the teaser.

Then I proceeded to land 5 bass including 3 keepers mostly on soft plastic and my new 2 oz Jigman Breachway Swimmer. I am working on testing and developing a patent for the soft plastic so I can't share it just yet. When I get taps, I will vary the retrieve until I figure out something that works. Last night, the fish hit best when I sped up for a couple sec and then slowed down to a crawl. There were a lot more fish that would take the soft plastic and not get hooked. I think it was longer than what they wanted but I didn't have anything smaller rigged up on a heavier jighead.

Tried the bay first and it was dead.

jigfreak
11-12-2010, 12:46 PM
I got 4 fat bass to 13lbs last night, sluggos and spearing profile jigs, in a place away from the swell, the water was a little better. Fished 1-5, last of the outgoing tide.
Nice fat bass C4charlie, when the water is dirty or rough jigs will sometimes win over other stuff as a lot of fish are near the bottom.

cowherder
11-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Wow great catches guys!:bigeyes:
Charlie, the one on the bottom right is missing part of a tail, must have been a bluefish that decided to snack on him when he was smaller
I was out this morning from 5 to 8, the surf pushed my metal out of the way so I only had like 10 seconds in the strike zone for each cast. Nothing for me.
Darkskies, thank you very much for the custom plug I won in that monthly contest, very nice of you to do that for people.:clapping:

c4charlie
11-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Wow great catches guys!:bigeyes:
Charlie, the one on the bottom right is missing part of a tail, must have been a bluefish that decided to snack on him when he was smaller

Same fish, another pic. His tail was just buried under the sand. Tail is 100%!
This fish was actually a pretty good size and weight and put up an unbelievable fight. The pic really doesn't show his muscle. Made my drag scream.:headbang:

fishinmission78
11-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Fished the park, sweep was rough, tough, nothing there for me this morning.

finchaser
11-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Internet fisherman who ever wants fish follow C4 and his SUV:wheeeee:

c4charlie
11-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Internet fisherman who ever wants fish follow C4 and his SUV:wheeeee:
I change cars and outfits daily and the reason why I am able to take all of these pictures and not give away my spots is because there is never a soul around where I fish during the times I fish.

LennyD
11-12-2010, 07:02 PM
charlie,great job finding fish again

vpass
11-12-2010, 08:33 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:Your doing great there Charlie. I’m thinking of going out there tonight. I'm trying not to talk myself out of going. How are the conditions out front? I'm imagining it's unfishable.

vpass
11-12-2010, 08:52 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:Your doing great there Charlie. I’m thinking of going out there tonight. I'm trying not to talk myself out of going. How are the conditions out front? I'm imagining it's unfishable.

I talked myself out of going. Maybe safer later in the weekend.:don't know why:

cardoc765
11-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Took the wife out to OC this evening. She says i haven't had any keepers this fall yet because i keep leaving her home. So I took her with me and in an hour and a half, I managed 2 shorts and 2 keepers. All fish were super fat and put up a great fight. I used 6 inch sluggos on a 1 oz jighead on the out going tide.

finchaser
11-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Took the wife out to OC this evening. She says i haven't had any keepers this fall yet because i keep leaving her home. So I took her with me and in an hour and a half, I managed 2 shorts and 2 keepers. All fish were super fat and put up a great fight. I used 6 inch sluggos on a 1 oz jighead on the out going tide.

way to go:thumbsup:

killie
11-13-2010, 09:29 AM
I change cars and outfits daily and the reason why I am able to take all of these pictures and not give away my spots is because there is never a soul around where I fish during the times I fish.

I went to school to be a bodyguard, lots of intense training
you need me?

yukon
11-13-2010, 10:53 AM
NoMoCo 3:30am - 7:30am 5 bass. 1 keeper. Missed quite a few hits as well.

Rigged up some nice eels last night and got on the sand around 3:30. I was determined to catch a nice bass on the rigged eel but after an hour nothing... So I switch it up and first cast WHAM fish on... Fish are on the sand eels so my take away was the 18in rigged eel was too big of a profile which doesn't make sense because damn it looked soooo good or I still need more practice fishing those things. Sun came up and I got 2 more during a sand eel feeding frenzy that I thought was gonna explode wide open but never materialized so called it a day.

I'm planning on taking the kids down tomorrow for some clamming but these swells still seem to be a bit too much. If anyone is down more south today could shot me a PM and let me know if its worth a trip it would be much appreciated.

Tight Lines!

DarkSkies
11-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Fished Moco the last few hours of the ebb before sunrise. I might have run into some people as I cut out of there in a hurry to get to class. Nice to meet yas! :HappyWave:

These was some decent action in the dark, big swells as well.

Managed 4 short bass, 3 on a big needle, 1 on metal. It slowed to a slow pick before sunrise when the fluke and shad took over for the 2nd shift. The ocean is starting to lay down, finally.

Nice catches, guys, WTG. :thumbsup: There will come a day soon when the only fish that will be left in the migration are the 15-24" schoolies. At least now there's shots at bigger fish, catch em up. :fishing:

VSdreams
11-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Wow nice fish pics yukon, is that a bass assasssin you're using?
I fished tonight from 3-5:30, in somoco, got bubkus.:skunk:

storminsteve
11-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Took the wife out to OC this evening. She says i haven't had any keepers this fall yet because i keep leaving her home. So I took her with me and in an hour and a half, I managed 2 shorts and 2 keepers.

Sounds like your wife is a good luck charm,better than a rabbit's foot! Nice report, it's hard to get the women to fish with us at night, at least it is for me.:don't know why:
I fished nomoco from 4-7. Got some short bass and a few big bluefish on the ava27 with yellow tail.
Great pics yukon!:fishing:

captnemo
11-13-2010, 08:27 PM
We fished a little N of PP inlet today, about 1 mile off the beach. Got into some nice bass to 17lbs. We had to move around, but at times they were rolling on the surface. Hammered jigs 6 oz in gold did the job.

SharkHart
11-14-2010, 06:49 AM
Fished my old haunts in SNJ , back water below atlantic city, I went over 3 hours before getting a hit :scared: finally got one to make me feel better. My buddy kicked my butt with someteen fish to my 2

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/SharkHart/11-13-2010.jpg

basshunter
11-14-2010, 09:42 AM
MOCO from 3 to 8 this morning. Ran into a blitz and caught a 32" bass on a sandeel teaser. They started to move out a little further. We couldn't hook up after that one.

GeoffT
11-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Wow nice fish pics yukon, is that a bass assasssin you're using?

It looks like a mega shad to me. WTG, Yukon! :clapping:

surferman
11-14-2010, 11:59 AM
I fished some oc beaches this morning, S of LBI. Got one 30" bass on a bunker chunk, and that was it. The water is starting to clear up a bit. I was using a 8oz sinker and walked it down the beach a bit until it came in too close, and then repeated it again and again until I got the bass. There were not a lot of people out where I was. I like IBSP, but it's a little further drive and the crowds are too much sometimes. And if you do get a fish, everyone drives up real quick and tries to mug you. And they also "save spots" for their friends by putting out 5 rods at a time. How can you fish like that with 5 rods?

surferman
11-14-2010, 12:00 PM
:wow:Wow nice fish sharkhart! That is one fattie! Any estimate of the weight on that? What did you get it on? Great catch! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

porgy75
11-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Fished somoco this morning, near an inlet. Got 2 short fat bass to 26" by throwing a diamond jig and a rubber sandeel redgill teaser. It seemed they only wanted the teaser, would not hit my metal.
Sharkhart that is a beautiful fish, congrats. I'm also wondering about how big it was.:clapping:

wish4fish
11-14-2010, 01:10 PM
fished nomoco from 5to8, got the skunk on metal. did catch one big skate tho,lol

vpass
11-14-2010, 01:17 PM
I fished the outgoing last night. I was using needle fish, and Bombers, I did throw the bag. I got 2 bass on a sandeel fly teaser. Both shorts 1 was a almost keeper. I didn't see any bait, but others on the beach said they seen sandeels washup on the beach.:don't know why:

fishinmission78
11-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Fished the park this am, last of the outgoing. :skunk:
Nice fish shark, you look like you have demon eyes in that pic.:headbang:

basshunter
11-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Nice fish shark, you look like you have demon eyes in that pic.:headbang:

Maybe he is not of this world, and only comes out at night.:scared:
Sharkheart do you only fish at night or do you fish the realms of the daylight too?:d
(great catch, btw)
I fished OC from 6-11am this morning, incoming tide, and got one bass (I think) on a 2 ox t hex. I lost it after about 10 secs. It pulled drag and was fun while it lasted.

SharkHart
11-14-2010, 03:02 PM
thats my paranormal 2 picture, my buddys droid phone always does that on night shots, It was a teener fish, not sure really how much chucked it back. Luckily it was dead calm and i heard him swirl about 30 to my left in the dark and i got him on a pink zoom a min later. i ll try dayight tomorrow morning hopefully the ocean is calming.

Monty
11-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Fished from 1:00 AM to 5:00 AM this morning and ended up with the Skunkaroo. Through the bag. Not to much current, water looked relatively clean, waves not to big. Was nice out there. :wheeeee:

LennyD
11-14-2010, 07:26 PM
I fished Nomoco from 2pm till 530 no fish, didn't see anyone catching anything either. After 4pm lots of birds were working on something about 1/2mile out.they were there when I left moving south slowly.
Water is clean but still 4-5' rollers.

ledhead36
11-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Had the opportunity to excape for a few hours late this afternoon. Tried plugging but got skunked. Changed over to metal and hooked one but lost bringing him in.

vpass
11-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Maybe he is not of this world, and only comes out at night.:scared:
Sharkheart do you only fish at night or do you fish the realms of the daylight too?:d
(great catch, btw)
I fished OC from 6-11am this morning, incoming tide, and got one bass (I think) on a 2 ox t hex. I lost it after about 10 secs. It pulled drag and was fun while it lasted.

Shark, Nice fish. You do look like a Demon.:devil: and about to sacrifice that Bass.:scared:

Nice going.:thumbsup:

porgy75
11-14-2010, 09:29 PM
^ Striped bass pagan sacrifices, ha ha, lol. Fantastic catch, Shark!:clapping:

plugcrazy
11-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Fished a very lonely OC beach this morning, bunker on one rod. Threw diamond jig on the other. Big surf, still a little hard to hold. Not many people out there, nothing for me.

SharkHart
11-15-2010, 03:32 PM
the bite has officially crashed, i worked the barny bay several different areas and took the skunk. I found a million of the previously AWOL peanuts, some mid sized swimming in tight schools with nothing on them, hows that possible? especially when i had teen sized bass last week with no visbile bait :kooky: I think the sustained NE and High pressure moved alot of fish and or sent them deep. Im looking at thurs/fridays NW cooler temps to restore the action

finchaser
11-15-2010, 04:59 PM
the bite has officially crashed, i worked the barny bay several different areas and took the skunk. I found a million of the previously AWOL peanuts, some mid sized swimming in tight schools with nothing on them, hows that possible? especially when i had teen sized bass last week with no visbile bait :kooky: I think the sustained NE and High pressure moved alot of fish and or sent them deep. Im looking at thurs/fridays NW cooler temps to restore the action

Same up here NE winds had water and fish stacked up in the bay and river
When the wind dropped out the waters receeded and sucked bait and fish out Manasquan and Barnegat inlets been happening that way for over 40 years:(

Yep Thursday and Friday will be just how you and I like it. Guarantee you the clue less new generation of bass fisherman will want NE and big water. So they can fish for big fish and say how hard core they think they are.

storminsteve
11-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Yep Thursday and Friday will be just how you and I like it. Guarantee you the clue less new generation of bass fisherman will want NE and big water. So they can fish for big fish and say how hard core they think they are.

I'm waiting for the northwest too, I saw the forecast. Give some of us a break finchaser, not all of us love the big water. :whoo:
I can't wait till the swells get knocked down a bit. Fished after work today in nomoco. I was really hoping for some bass but the surf was still a little big. Ended up with a lot of casts and effort in that white water http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.gif and nothing to show for it. Big water whoo hoo! :kooky::huh: :learn:

fishinmission78
11-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Monster bluefish in OC, past the bar, got 2 this morning, snag and drop.

vpass
11-18-2010, 04:17 PM
I fished yesterday in OC. the water was Yohoo color, and there was a strong right to left sweep. I fished for about 2 hours before giving up. I will be out tonight. It been awhile since I caught a bass.

I also fished on Tuesday at the hook with the flyrod. I did manage a shad. I seen some shad jumping close to shore, but they looked different, could have been herring. Do any one know if the Herring are here for sure?

hookset
11-18-2010, 04:29 PM
I fished this morning, little seam in the back of moco, 1 shorty bass on fin-S. Vpass, some friends of mine live near the Great south bay in long island. They have seen herring near the back of the inlet there. So it's not too much of a stretch to think they could be here in NJ as well. I haven't seen them in the Manasquan yet, so I'm not sure.

cowherder
11-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Fished down in Ocean County after work from 4-7 tonight. There was so much bait around, and so many guys it was like opening day of trout season. I threw metal and needlefish plugs, not a tap for me. I hope some guys got a fish, as I didn't see any caught where I was fishing.

yardvillejimmy
11-19-2010, 07:57 AM
Fished OC Thursday afternoon with the OFFC. Bait and surfcasters everywhere. Only saw one bluefish caught on bait. :skunk:

vpass
11-19-2010, 10:43 AM
I fished OC this morning from 5 to 8:30am.:skunk: There was a 5 min window that the bass were feeding. In that time I saw 2 bass caught both of the basses were near 20 pounds. As I was leaving fish were busting offshore. I'll try again later.:huh:

clamchucker
11-19-2010, 11:17 AM
I fished 5-8AM above the park. As vpass said there was a short flurry of activity. I managed one short bass on a small oo7 diamond jig with white tail. There were not a lot of fish caught in the general area.

storminsteve
11-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Hit up somoco from sunup till a little after. No bass for me, there was some bait getting worked over (bunker?) and birds about 300 yards offshore.

finchaser
11-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Can't wait for these bunker to move south or get attacked by large blues. Since there arrival yesterday they have ruined beach fishing. Boats are all over bunker schools and catching .

captnemo
11-19-2010, 03:24 PM
It's not the supreme bonanza that it was back in June, Finchaser. We were out today, trolling chartreuse shads. The bluefish tore them up, but we did manage some bass to 19lbs. Water was loaded with sand eels and bunker. Lots of bunker held no fish, we had to move around on the outside.

finchaser
11-19-2010, 04:18 PM
We watched the boats in OCCO hammer on them this AM at first light, doing the snag and drop 100 yards off. All I know is the stretch of beach that has produced was dead since there arrival yesterday AM

Pebbles
11-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Hi Finchaser, It is good to hear you are up and about. :HappyWave:

I heard that the wind is going to be intense this weekend up to 40 mile an hour gusts. I was thinking about seeing if Dark was going out tonight. My question is doesn't the wind put the fish down and they don't bite? What is your opinion?

plugaholic
11-20-2010, 01:01 AM
Hey Finchaser, are you back to fishing? go catch em up, hope you are feeling better.
Pebbles, the wind wasn't that bad tonight. I fished ocean county with poppers from 3-7pm tonight. The big blues came in close around 4pm. Got 3 to 15lbs, they were brutes! The bite really slowed down with the darkness, though.

SharkHart
11-20-2010, 04:11 AM
So as my last outing was a skunk i hoped to redeem myself, I love it when a plan comes together, 3 others 27-32" Almost on cue when i got in my truck to leave, the song came on..."i get knocked down, but i get up again, aint nothing gonna keep me down" :)

http://imgur.com/RUwbb.jpg

stripermania
11-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Wow Sharkhart, that looks fat! Nice fish!:cool:
I fished somoco this morning from 5-8 on the incoming and outgoing. Saw some bait around. Was using metal and tried a needlefish in the dark, nothing.:skunk:

finchaser
11-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Pebbles love heavy NW/west winds in the fall usually do great as you can see from shark and plugoholic. Don't be discouraged by them. they aregood not like the NE violence Dark takes you out in.

Shark way to go pal

finchaser
11-20-2010, 08:23 AM
I am back with limitations as per the doctors,I am feeling better by the day thanks for asking

gjb1969
11-20-2010, 09:20 AM
fin glad u are feeling better

storminsteve
11-20-2010, 09:29 AM
So as my last outing was a skunk i hoped to redeem myself, I love it when a plan comes together, 3 others 27-32" Almost on cue when i got in my truck to leave, the song came on..."i get knocked down, but i get up again, aint nothing gonna keep me down" :)

http://imgur.com/RUwbb.jpg

Pebbles love heavy NW/west winds in the fall usually do great as you can see from shark and plugoholic. Don't be discouraged by them. they aregood not like the NE violence Dark takes you out in.

Shark way to go pal

X2, beautiful fish Shark, how big, what did you get it on if you don't mind my asking?
Good to see you back in the game Finchaser, hope you do better than I did this morning. I fished my favorite beach in ocean county, with 300 other guys who couldn't connect with a fish, though we tried like hell.
And what, no love for Dark? The west wind wally talks about the noreaster guys, I thought Dark was ranting against that. Do you mean Dark is secretly a noreaster lover???:don't know why: :whoo:

paco33
11-20-2010, 11:03 AM

Shark way to go pal

I think Dark is a glutton for punishment.:kooky:
Me too, sometimes. I have fished 2 hours each morning and night for the sunrise and sunset for the last 2 days, not a tap to show for it in moco. There has been a lot of bunker particularly in the morning, but it has just been out of reach or else the fish only wanted live bunker. And even that is a puzzle as some guys who could reach them were snagging and dropping, and nothing caught. Crazy fishing, I guess that's why they call it fishing and not catching.:don't know why:
Way to go on the nice bass, Shark!

fishinmission78
11-20-2010, 12:51 PM
:skunk: for me this morning in OC. Nice fish SH.

finchaser
11-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Bunker in the fall in the middle of bass run Sucks,draw everything with them like a vacuum

cowherder
11-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Add me to the frustrated list. I fished OC from 1-4:45, bunker periodically showing up. They were either too far out, or didn't have any bass under them. I snagged one and let it sit for 10 minutes. Even a bluefish would have made me happy. Oh well tomorrow is another day. Outstanding fish, sharkhart!

DarkSkies
11-21-2010, 10:20 AM
I am back with limitations as per the doctors,I am feeling better by the day thanks for asking

Good to hear that OGB, we miss ya on the water, last night Pebbles and I visited some of the old Spring haunts, the icy cold death grip of winter is creeping up on us.

Shark way to go pal

:2flip: :moon: Effumall ya old grouchy basstard! :kiss::HappyWave:
StorminSteve and others, OGB loves Pebbles like a daughter, but me, apparently not so much. What can I say? :laugh:

Went up to bat, struck out, the icy cold death grip of winter is coming to town...
Took Pebbles out last night for some hit and run fishin. Fished the top of the full moon flood, and 2 hours of the outgoing. We moved around a lot, about 6 times. In all those places I could only find a combined total of 2 spearing. Even the grass shrimp took the night off. I should have known after 5 minutes it would be a :skunk: but I hadn't been out in over a week, and it was good to be out there.

Although we hit some productive early and late season water that has been holding fish in the day, the night bite is non-existent without bait concentrations. The only areas that might have held a fish or 2 were the deeper channels, which we didn't fish.

There was a light NW, 5-10, very fishable, and the full moon was slightly obscured by clouds. None of that was a factor in last nights skunk. It was the cold water and lack of bait, plain and simple.

Shark, anyone can pull a fish out of the water when everyone else is catching. You got those fish on a night when not many others could even get a tap. Great fishin skills, nice fish, congrats. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon14.png

vpass
11-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Late report. I was out from 4:00AM to 12PM Saturday.(yesterday) Had one good bump at first light in south Ocean County. I tried many beach OC to SH. In one spot there was lots of birds working offshore. In another spot I did see bunker with fish on them but they never came in reach of casting. I went to the Hook found a lee in the wind and Fly fished for shad. From what I heared they were there earlier, but I didn't see any. I did see Birds were working off the hook, but way out of reach.

In every spot I visited, I did not see or hear of fish being caught:kooky::scared:.

What the hell is happening? It so far my worst Nov.:huh:

I'm not fishing today spending the day with the family, but I will be outer there tomorrow morning and fishing all day. Since I'm not out this morning you guys should be killing them. I am the :skunk:

clamchucker
11-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Don't count on that vpass. There is a lot of quiet ocean out there in the surf. I fished the park from 6-9am today, and didn't catch anything.

Monty
11-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Fished my favorite area out front from 1:00 to 5:00 this morning. Was fun throwing the bag in areas with different structure. Caught one short on a red fin. Had solitude, great weather, nice water, the small bass made my day.

finchaser
11-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Can't believe you went there this time of year at night fell for the LBI guy's internet story:huh: Waters cold there gone he got you again

voyager35
11-21-2010, 04:39 PM
We had a good day about 1- 2 1/2 miles off the beach, south of MI, around Seaside, all the way to LEI. Most of the bass were caught jigging. We did get some bass on green shads as well, and some bluefish trolling stretch 25s. We managed 7 bass to 17#, keeping 2. The numbers of bluefish were about twice that number, and they were voracious. We had to burn a lot of fuel to find fish as most of the day was a fish here, and a fish there.
I also heard reports that someone got a 100#bft yesterday. I don't know the person who got it but found a report, it must be them. I'll post in the offshore forum. There is a tremendous amount of life just slightly offshore.

Pebbles
11-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Went out last night with Dark. We fished from about 8 to 10. On the first stop we got into trouble. We were in a location were we should not have been. The police pulled us over as we were leaving. He explained we were looking for bait and after a few minutes he let us go. I thought for sure we were going to be asked to get out of the car and get searched. :scared: After a few minutes they let us go.

Sad part is after all of this we did not even get a tap.

jigfreak
11-21-2010, 05:22 PM
^Aah, the old looking for bait excuse. :beatin: :laugh:
Fishing on Sat night can draw suspicion. You guys would have been better off on a weeknight in "certain areas" or fishing at 3am, all the cops are in the donut shop around that time. A PBA card always helps too.
I fished OC, hit some structure around 3am, one 20" dink on rubber. Then hit the beach from 5-9, nothing but wishing. Not a fish caught around me either. The surf seems like it has gone to sleep. It's depressing. Finchaser is right, I wish the bunker would leave and then we would be back into a steady sandeel bite.

Monty
11-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Wow, Gotta say Dark sure keeps your fishing trips on the edge with illegal activities and severe weather. That stuff happens, I had search lights earlier this year put on me while I was wading out about 150 feet. I had earlier run a checkpoint (bad judgement).

On the first stop we got into trouble. We were in a location were we should not have been. The police pulled us over as we were leaving. He explained we were looking for bait and after a few minutes he let us go. I thought for sure we were going to be asked to get out of the car and get searched. :scared: After a few minutes they let us go..

gjb1969
11-21-2010, 08:56 PM
THE THINGS WE DO FOR FISH BUT THATS HOW THINGS GO ITS JERSEY WE COULD BE DOING WORSE THINGS :eek:

finchaser
11-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Your a brave women to fish with DS I can't believe where you went this time of year,considering where he got his so called Intel
The not a tap doesn't surprise me at all where you were at and it being mainly a day bite now.

DarkSkies
11-23-2010, 07:37 AM
^^Hey "Dad" :laugh: at least I had her home before curfew! :moon: :HappyWave:
There are minimal fish in MoCo and much of OC. It was time for a road trip. Half the fishin clubs, including the one you belong to, have been making the trip. Yet, sadly, the fish aren't there. Can't blame us for trying though. :don't know why:

Went S yesterday. Spent a lot of hours scouting in the early afternoon as the S wind was kind of nasty and no one was catching bass. Spent some time in an inlet playing with the bergalls and tog. Saw some fat tog caught. Lots of people there. Met a lot of old-time tog fishermen.

It was the only game in town yesterday for those who needed some action. :drool: I got one just shy of keeper. Sneaky bait-stealing bastages! But lots of fun.

Before sunset we went back to the beach, fished some beautiful water and nice pockets. I had a bigger rod and was making long casts, but there were no fish to be had.

There were nice pockets of water filled with rainfish, but no fish on them. I worked those pockets well into the dark hoping for a Hail Mary fish. Made sure I said my prayers to King Neptune, but it was not to be. :o

Finished up the night by working some strategic water I had marked during the day. Even though the OGB yelled about the dead water, I did find some bait after a lot of looking. Found some concentrations of spearing, and scattered adult bunker and mullet. A local we met on the beach told me about some mullet still being tucked away in the back creeks. What a strange year for bait distribution. More on that in another thread.

The highlight of the night was a small pod of bunker or miullet being harassed by bass about 1 1/2 casts out. I could hear them but not see them where I was as the moon was obscured by clouds at that point. That lasted for 30 secs.

I made the best of the time I spent. I marked and mapped a lot of new area that will be productive when the fish are around.

The water I was fishing was so clean you could bottle and sell it if it didn't have salt in it. Beautiful clean beaches and water, but no fish.

Also, for anyone who can manage it and has the incentive, now would be a good time for a DBay road trip.

DarkSkies
11-23-2010, 07:38 AM
The striped bass biomass is shrinking. The OFFC, Finchaser, Surfwalker, and others have been hammering that observation in my head the last few weeks. This fall I've seen the biggest bass in recent years being caught from the surf. I've also seen an extreme lack of diversity in bass size, folks. I won't clutter up this thread with that. More on that in an existing thread when I get a chance.

There are those who claim this is the best bass fishing they've had in 4 years from the surf. That's because they've only been fishing for 4 years. :learn:

There are still bass coming down the pike from LI.
We usually get our last push of larger bass around Thanksgiving every year before it becomes schoolie city. I talk to people every day who are killing them up there. Yet, from the surf, not so much.

That's the reality we have now. Although some in the boats are hammering them, many in the boats couldn't put a catch together yesterday. The masses of fish just weren't there. More on this in another thread, guys and gals.

As for the Thanksgiving bass, let's all say a prayer to King Neptune and hope he's listening.... :fishing:

vpass
11-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Fished the Hook this mornng from 5:30am to 11am. I hit many spots this morning and only witness 1 bass caught. It was a short that was smuggled off the beach as soon as it was caught. :burn: I was plugging that beach with out a bump.

Went to another beach that has consistent action with Shad. I figured that I could save the day with the fly rod. The Shad were there I just didn't connect. There is alot of bait around just no bass. I'm starting to go:kooky:

cardoc765
11-24-2010, 09:25 AM
I know we are all disappointed in the lack of fish being caught this time of year. So am I. However, there are somethings that I have seen in the last month or so. First, the bass and blues have been feeding mainly on sand eels. being that I work a charter boat I probably get to see more fish than most of you. Both blues and bass have had bellies full of sand eels only. I have not seen one yet with bunker in them. Although, I know there are blues and bass being caught on chunks. Makes me wonder about their eating pattern this fall. The other major thing I find is how far off the beach the fish are. Lately we have found huge concentrations of fish from a mile to 2 miles off the beach. We always make sure we stay inside of the EEZ. However the fish are out there too. Good thing is enforcement is out there boarding boats that are close to or just over the EEZ. Thought you guys might like to know that.

Here is my thought. Bunker are popping up all over. Even in the spring before the out of state bunker boats sucked our bait up, we had bunker boiling all over with no fish under them. They were just having play dates i called it. We see that now in the fall. Just because they are popping around you, doesn't mean the fish are under them. All that to say, the eating pattern of the bass this year is different than most of us expect it to be. Couple that with the fact that on the boat we mark acres of fish in deep and minimal fish in close to the beach. Yesterday we did a trip 2 miles off NOMOCO. (Maybe a bit closer who knows I'm not good at judging the distance on water) Either way, we found miles of fish. 10 boats out there, everyone saying the same thing. Fish stacked under the boat and loads of them and yet the bite was a pick. Fishing the last 4 hours of the outgoing tide. Both blues and bass were being super picky. Trip of 16 guys, we managed 5 keepers, 5 shorts, 10 blues. Us and all the other boats were saying, if we could have got 10% of the fish we saw on the fish finder to bite, we would have had an all out banner blitz to feed 50 boats.

Anyway, all this to say that maybe we should consider other reasons as well for the lack of fish along the beaches. That is where we all fish, so that is our focus. But then I go to work and get a different perspective out there. The bass and blues, seem to focus only on the sand eels right now and the migration seems to be further offshore than we would like. Couple that with the NE's we had this year have changed the beaches some as well. Just something to make your minds think a bit.

SharkHart
11-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Well Said Cardoc, this is why i was hoping for peanuts in the surf this year cause they hang in the wash. Although i haven't been boating this year I seen the exact same thing you described with sand eels being off the beach where as last year they hung tight. Bluefish used to be a can of corn to catch few years back now most wont leave 40 feet of water loaded with sandies, I think it was 2007 the mother load of bass came through NJ in December, did the last boat trip of the year on Dec 9th and i had like 40 bass, if i told anyone surf fishing i had caught 40 they would have called me a liar and punched me in the face beacause there was zero fish inside a mile, I still think there is a huge body coming down just unsure of who will be able to get to them.

gjb1969
11-24-2010, 03:07 PM
i hope we get a shot at them but i will not hold my breath i got a few good fish from the surf so i will keep trying

clamchucker
11-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Good action in moco today. The bass were chasing butterfish and in close in the surf line. They were moving fast. I would not expect them to be in the same place tomorrow. I managed 4 to 21lbs on pencil poppers, all released.

vpass
11-24-2010, 08:11 PM
I will be out early am. I'm fishing the Income.:fishing::drool:

fishinmission78
11-24-2010, 09:31 PM
I fished OC from 4-7. The bite was on and off but there were some nice fish around. Got 6 bass and 2 monster blues. Biggest bass was 19#. Poppers first, and ML swimmers as it got dark.

seamonkey
11-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Great reports fellas! I fished CMC today from 12 to 3pm. using bunker and clams. Nothin on the bunker, got a ling on the clam. Send those bass right down to us, we will be waiting!

jigfreak
11-24-2010, 10:16 PM
I know we are all disappointed in the lack of fish being caught this time of year. So am I. However, there are somethings that I have seen in the last month or so. First, the bass and blues have been feeding mainly on sand eels. being that I work a charter boat I probably get to see more fish than most of you. Both blues and bass have had bellies full of sand eels only. I have not seen one yet with bunker in them. Although, I know there are blues and bass being caught on chunks. Makes me wonder about their eating pattern this fall.
The bass and blues, seem to focus only on the sand eels right now and the migration seems to be further offshore than we would like. Couple that with the NE's we had this year have changed the beaches some as well. Just something to make your minds think a bit.

Those were some interesting thoughts, Cardoc. And as Sharkhart said, a lot depends on those sandeels, and where the heck have the peanuts been in the ocean. Some things to think about for sure.

I went to some structure in the back, one small 18" bass on the first hour of outgoing tide, on rubber and a 1/2 oz jig.

yardvillejimmy
11-25-2010, 07:32 AM
Fished NoMoCO Wednesday afternoon with OFFC. Each of us had a couple keeper bass on poppers. All were cookie cutter size of about 29 inches. Had many more hits than hookups. Consensus was the bait in the water was butterfish. :bigeyes:

basshunter
11-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Wow looks you guys were in the right place at the right time. I fished an ocean county beach this morning, it was pretty dead out there. I threw poppers and diamond jigs. Caught a very big fat skunk. Is the fat lady singing yet?
Happy Thanksgiving to all out there!
Congrats on the great catches!

clamchucker
11-25-2010, 12:46 PM
There was no action in the surf this morning. Fished an area near the park, it was dead. I hope all of you folks have a nice Thanksgiving and time with family.

vpass
11-25-2010, 03:21 PM
I fished OC Then SH. got the :skunk: again. Maybe tomorrow. I'm deaf, I can't hear that Fat B*&@H sing. I'm no where near quiting.:huh::kooky:

gjb1969
11-25-2010, 09:21 PM
i feel the same way if there is some bait around i will still fish

vpass
11-26-2010, 02:22 PM
I went Fly fishing this Morning from 8 to 12pm. Lots of Rainfish and Herring feeding on them. I did catch a short and dropped 2 herring in the wash. Lots of hits. Some hits were by surprise that the Fly line slipped thru my fingers on the hit.:drool::fishing:

There was more bass caught from other Flyrodders earlier in the morning. It about Matching the Hatch. Flys under 3 inches are catching. I was fishing a sandeel pattern and nothing. I seen Rainfish break and cut my fly to about 2 to 2 1/2 got hit on the next cast. Caught a bass with in the Next 10 casts. Then it got real windy had to quit. It's always fun on the flyrod.

lostatsea
11-27-2010, 06:11 AM
Fished Thanksgiving morning off MB, and down to MI. We were about 1 mile off the beach. Thanksgiving we got some nice bass up to 18lbs with diamond jigs. Also went out yesterday early. We moved a few times, and got into bass and bluefish in the same general area, again with diamond jigs. The fish we found were smaller yesterday, biggest was 32". They were stuffed with sand eels and also eating big sea herring. A few monster bluefish in the mix too. I hope all the guys had a happy Thanksgiving.
We also saw tuna busting early in the morning, but we were not prepared to catch them, although we did throw some poppers at them. It was an awesome sight to see these big fish still around, even though they didn't want what we had.

vpass
11-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Fished this morning from 6am to 10am. Got a few short bass on Fin-S and teasers. It was a nice morning. The bass were the small from 18 to 24 inches, mostly 20 to 22. :)

c4charlie
11-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Took a while to find some very finicky fish last night. Two bass, one football short and a 29" 10lb keeper which came home for dinner tonight.

There were more bass but they moved off a bit as the tide receded so it was hard to reach them even with the west wind. Also saw tiny bait in the wash that came back snagged on my plug.

finchaser
11-27-2010, 02:22 PM
OC 13# bass on one of my loaded redfins
Saw Herring chasing rainfish right up on to the beach in some places but no bass to be found there.
Got a report from a friend it was an all out massacre on the boats in 50-60 feet

GeoffT
11-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Got a report from a friend it was an all out massacre on the boats in 50-60 feet

What else is new? :banghead2:

DarkSkies
11-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Fished a cold but flat ocean today. The hard NW winds allowed some superman casts. Got out late, but I gave it a shot. Bumped into Vpass. :HappyWave: He's a little modest...he dominated all the other anglers where we were today, even though the fish were short. :clapping: http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon14.png
You put in a lot of time, V, about time you caught a fish or 2. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon14.png

I talked to Killie on the phone yesterday. I either brought the Killie curse with me, or I suck. Maybe a little bit of both, couldn't raise a fish to save my life. Hey that's fishin. The 35 degree air temps are thinning the herd. Nice to have a little elbow room. :fishing:

Congrats to all who managed to catch. You all earned every fish, and there really aren't many around in the surf zone. (Except the few places in NJ where you can snag and drop bunker from the surf).
In 50 feet of water, as Fin and others said, is a different story. :drool:

Fin, glad to see you hook up. People reading your reports should realize that if you caught 1 fish, that means there were probably slim to none chances of anyone else catching. You pulling a fat bass out of the cold surf probably couldn't be repeated by many anglers. WTG, ya grouchy basstard! Maybe now that ya can fish a bit you'll be less grouchy. :moon: :laugh: :HappyWave:

finchaser
11-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Went out again 3:30 to 6 PM OC 5 bass 9# to 11# all on needle fish all released. Fish turned off at dark.

My fish unhooker since i really can't bend and lift yet had 2 to 12#

finchaser
11-27-2010, 06:27 PM
What else is new? :banghead2:

My friend and crew had 6 over 20# and 4 over 30# all on jigs and all still alive

gjb1969
11-27-2010, 07:32 PM
nice fish well we know the fish are around so good:HappyWave:

voyager35
11-27-2010, 09:05 PM
We fished for most of the morning into the early afternoon. Had to run and gun for the fish. Most of the action was off SRI in 55' of water. They were on sea herring and sand eels. We jigged 5 bass to 32", and some bluefish. Marked some bigger fish but for some reason we couldn't stick them. The wind was up to 40mph at times.

storminsteve
11-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Way to go for any guys who hooked into fish. I got goose eggs this afternoon. Fished nomoco, there were birds around, up and down, lots of guys, but no fish. Threw metal, needlefish, bombers, bucktail, teasers big and small, it sucked. Maybe it will be better tomorrow, or I am going to hop on a party boat to reach the last fish that are left. This blows.

yardvillejimmy
11-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Fished NoMoCo with OFFC yesterday afternoon. Got sandblasted by the wind. One small fish caught on mambo by fishjay just before dark. Saw one other fish caught on bait.

porgy75
11-28-2010, 10:42 AM
Fished OC this morning from 5 to 8. Tried just about everything I had but got :skunk:.

fishjay
11-28-2010, 11:11 AM
finchaser; The offc is glad to see your fishing again.. Keep up the good work:

Monty
11-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Hit 3 spots out front and came up empty, 1:00-5:30 am.
Was real nice out, pretty calm out there.

DarkSkies
11-28-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm also adding to the skunk report.
Fished a bit this morning, water was dead.
The ocean, as Monty said, was calm as a lake.

Before I went home I scouted a bit. Found one spot in Moco where there was a flotilla of boats offshore about 2 miles out. I stopped counting after I got to 80. :whoo:

At another location I counted about 40, these were closer in, about 1 mile out. No working birds or clouds of birds to be seen anywhere inshore.

I did run into a grumpy old sharpie I know. He's retired, and fishes every day, morning, night, drives all over to get into fish. He claimed that although he did get some decent fish, this is his worst surf season in years. I respectfully agree. More on that in another thread. :fishing:

SharkHart
11-28-2010, 02:30 PM
Some nice fish either got active or just showed up in South NJ on the bay side, I thought the outgoing was going to be the play, I started with less then half hour incomming and had a 27" fish on the first cast, then i nailed two 15lbers and a 16 lber in short time, once the tide changed you guessed it the better fish were gone. A friend was having similar success few miles away same tide.

cowherder
11-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Wow great catches finchaser, vpass and sharkhart! I fished nomo today from 3-5pm, it was all quiet on the water, not a tap.

vpass
11-28-2010, 07:09 PM
I fished this morning from 5am to 1:30pm. Went to the same spot as yesterday and had no luck with the bass. I walked about 3/4 miles south and Found birds workin in a few spots. I was excited only to find out it was Shad working the bait, I caught a few.

I then decided to hit another beach. Decided to take the flyrod out again. I found herring working rainfish/ small sandeels. I caught 2 dozen 3 dozen herring to the point of bordeom:kooky:. I did see 2 keepers caught today in the second spot also a few shorts. I don't think the herring would give you the chance to hook into to a short bass. I hope Mama bass would teach those herring a lesson.

The amount of bait is amazing. I was standing in a cloud of Sandeels that were no more then 2 inch long the water was dirty looking from all the bait.

I was going to headout tonight to try again, but due to the lack of sleep i'm very Loopy:kooky: Going out in the AM.

finchaser
11-28-2010, 10:46 PM
was out before nada south wind and current dropped water temp from yesterday afternoon ,turned them off

water dropped from 52 to 48

seamonkey
11-29-2010, 04:39 PM
I fished a CM area beach this morning. Clams and bunker. Not even a skate.

wish4fish
11-29-2010, 04:45 PM
late report, fished nomoco turkey day in the morning, got one 30" bass on clam, it had only one sandeel in its belly whats up with that. fished the next 2 days up and down nomoco and got squat. fishin sucks rite now, if there are herring and shad out there where the hell are the bass?

vpass
11-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Fished from 6am to 9am. Used the fly rod again. I was casting big deceiver flys to match the Herring. After 2 hours desided to cast a rainfish size fly. Caught 2 Herring in 2 cast, and decided to go home. I can't believe with all that bait the Bass are not around. I believe staying with that bait will evently payoff. I'll try again with ML plugs early am. I might even swim a herring.

cardoc765
11-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Did a 15 man charter yesterday. My last one of the year. We got 4 shorts, 1 blue, 10 tog. It was tough conditions in the way of getting the fish to bite. Also caught 4 small mackerel already and 1 ling. Interesting day but at least we didn't get the skunk.

yardvillejimmy
11-30-2010, 06:57 AM
Fished SH 3pm to 6pm with OFFC yesterday. Saw bait but no fish.:skunk:

storminsteve
11-30-2010, 08:43 AM
Fished somoco, off some rocks, from 5am to 8 this morning. One 17" bass on a megabait crawled slowly. In the darkness I heard the muffled sounds of a fat lady warming up for her aria.:eek:

vpass
11-30-2010, 11:53 AM
fished an area that has a large concentration of Herring this morning from 5am to 10am. I used ML swimmers for the first 3 hours with no luck. Then I threw the bag a few times. I did snag a herring on the teaser. which explained the bumps I was getting just before I snagged the herring. What a suckie November.:mad:

clamchucker
11-30-2010, 07:59 PM
I fished the Moco area this morning. There was not much happening at sunrise, a few small bass caught. I worked some different beaches with heavy diamond jigs as the surf got bigger. I ended up with 3 bass to 32". Despite the rough winds and surf, the sand eels are still there.

jigfreak
11-30-2010, 09:19 PM
I hit an OC beach after work. Got 4 bass to 13lbs on an ava37. The fish were there but you had to work for them.

ledhead36
11-30-2010, 09:34 PM
Late report, got out with some friends on a Fri morning boat trip. We fished from the Shrewsbury rocks to Seaside. He tried everything to find fish for us. He did. They were all mid range fat bass. The biggest was 15 pounds with a few shorts and some lethargic bluefish. All on green shads.

hookset
11-30-2010, 09:41 PM
Fished somoco from 3 to 5pm today. The water was nasty and white and churned up. Managed one plastic bag filled with water on metal. It fought like a champ.:o