PDA

View Full Version : Rod Size for Right now

SharkHart
11-12-2010, 05:06 PM
So who is using a 10 footer or longer now?

The fish are out more then they are in now. Long casts seem key.

I was fishing with a friend who was using a 10 footer and i was using a 9' arra which i dont want to lean into too much due to their reputation. We were both using SS Needles of the same pattern and you guessed it, he was having 5 hits to my 1. All our hits were within the first few cranks.

Im considering going with the 10' even though it wears my arm down. I know some people will say Im getting fish on an 8fter, but if you got 5 did you miss out on 10??

These current conditions too any time the water pushes you back seems like less opportunity to get to the fish, in the old days peanut bunker were more in the wash, i think thats also why i see guys thinking they need the big water. Just seems like more water to cast over to get to the bass now.

skinner
11-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Just seems like more water to cast over to get to the bass now.

Yes, and if you don't cast that far and don't get into fish, you think they're not there. I'm using a mojo surf 10'. I found I needed the extra distance. I do have an old 12' custom laying around that my Dad gave me. I'm thinking of dusting it off and bringing it with me next time. You really can use the extra distance in this washing machine water.

finchaser
11-12-2010, 05:29 PM
I use a custom 10' GSB120 1M in bad weather you know like we do :)the start of a NE and then NW after the blow till it lays down. then back to my 9 footers the Arra 1084 or my Super surf
If rod is properly balanced it doesn't wear your arm

Monty
11-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Used last Sunday and will use this Sunday too a Loomis sur1266S, (10'3" (after cut 3" off butt)). Can make long casts and has lots os sensitivity. My favorite plugging rod. Shortest rod I have used all year was a 9'10", I have gotten use to using rods between that one and 11'. Using a shorter one now feels weird. I am with SharkHart, distance matters.

SharkHart
11-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Yes, and if you don't cast that far and don't get into fish, you think they're not there. I'm using a mojo surf 10'. I found I needed the extra distance. I do have an old 12' custom laying around that my Dad gave me. I'm thinking of dusting it off and bringing it with me next time. You really can use the extra distance in this washing machine water.

How does that Mojo cast? ive heard well. Ever now and then i see a guy show up with a rod that booms past everyone, maybe customs. Since the patterns have changed in NJ Distance is in fact key, May-June also.

speedy
11-12-2010, 07:38 PM
I'm using a mojo surf 10'

i just got a 10.6 mojo surf great rod:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

finchaser
11-13-2010, 08:45 AM
How does that Mojo cast? ive heard well. Ever now and then i see a guy show up with a rod that booms past everyone, maybe customs. Since the patterns have changed in NJ Distance is in fact key, May-June also.

There great for a store bought rod but keep in mind they can't be used with mono do to line slap which really hurts there casting ability

LennyD
11-13-2010, 05:15 PM
i'm using a Tsunami Airwave 10' with a Penn 550ssg, i love it!

BassBuddah
11-13-2010, 05:17 PM
What finchaser said. I have 30#braid on my Mojo, and it loads up and casts well. I use it with tins up to 4oz and it handles them. You really get some nice distance from it. Btw I fished some SS beaches this morning, nice fish should be coming your way to NJ soon, fellas.