PDA

View Full Version : teaser questions

porgy75
11-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Hey guys I am just getting into using teasers. I got 2 bass on the teaser this morning, and they didn't touch my metal at all. So I have just a few questions:

1. Do you buy your teaser rigs pre-made, or do you tie your own?
2. Do you like longer or shorter teasers for sand eels?
3. Do you tie a dropper loop, or tie a separate line to your swivel with the teaser? I saw guys doing this both ways this morning, and wondered which one is stronger? Thanks as usual for all the advice, guys!

CharlieTuna
11-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Porgy, I am old school, I prefer the dropper loop. You have to experiment with different teasers. If the fish are on small bait and the one you are using doesn't get bit within 10 minutes, you need to change for another style. There are times when unless you match the hatch quite specifically, they will not hit it. Keep changing your profiles that come close, you will know when you have hit it right.

vpass
11-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Porgy, I use a polmar knot for my leader to swivel connection. I do not cut off the tag end of that knot hanging off the swivel. that's where I connect my teasers to. As size of the teaser, last night the only hit I got were on a 4.5 inch teaser. 2 weeks ago it was on 2 1/2 inch. You got to know the size of your bait, either seeing them swim, or washing up on the beach. Also checking that keeper you take home by checking the stomach contents.

I gave up on dropper loops a long time ago. I lost many plugs because of them. The leader fails right at the dropper loop knot.

fishinmission78
11-14-2010, 02:17 PM
I tie my teasers to the swivel. I try to use the same # test or higher than the leader so it doesn't wrap around.

And as vpass and charlietuna said, you will know if your teaser works or not if you get slammed. No action and you are not matching the profile. Sometimes they are on sandeels, sometimes smaller. And sometimes you need to match the exact size of the sandeels if they are all uniform in size. Pay attention. When something is not working, change until you find the right combo. That right combo can change from day to day. Learn that basic fact and you will catch more fish.

Monty
11-14-2010, 06:55 PM
I make a leader with a drop loop. Leader about 4 feet long. Loop about 8" from swivel. Then a teaser "rig" 6"-10" long.
Rig and leader 50 lb test. Never had the rig break from a fighting fish, biggest bass so far on a teaser 35 inches. Have had many doubles with bass and teen blues.

surfstix1963
11-15-2010, 06:35 AM
I use different methods depending on the conditions but for the most part I use this method.I use a single pc. of leader material run it through the swivel the distance I want to tie teaser from the plug and then attach the plug to the other end.