PDA

View Full Version : Decline of bass

finchaser
11-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Well written by someone on another site

Striped bass boimass, my comments from report thread
Striped bass population is in the dumps. Even a critically low biomass will have localized bodies of fish feeding aggresivly. But what we are seeing is not a healthy dispersion of fish. There is just not enough to go around. Last thursday I was on ACRES AND ACRES of sand eels (in the boat). All the blues you could want BIG ones too. Not a one bass. Bass LOVE sandeels. THe storms may have moved the bait out of the wash but thats only half the problem. We were on top of sand eels ALL day long. Decent cloud cover part of the day and we even stayed till dusk from early morning. You would figure as it got darked the Bass's eye sight would counter the blues aggression and speed as the bluefish eyesight in the dark is not as good. No bass. Its scary to me the decline I have seen in years.

A reply to some of the follow up comments on my post. A video or report of blitzing bass in a localized area is not proof of a healthy stock. I am pretty sure there IS more fish on the way. But that in itself is an indication of trouble. Its november in NJ, water is 55 degrees. We should not need to wait for more fish to arive. Wheres the local fish. The ones that winter over. The spead of fish up and down the coast line we used to see. Someone mentioned the fish fill in those southern beaches every year this time. OK well they used to also be up here at the same time because there was a lot more of them.
Here is the facts according to the ASMFC striped bass population decreased by 25% from 2004 to 2008. And down ANOTHER 9% 2008 to 2009. A decimation of 25% of a species in 4 years is a pretty scary trend if you ask me. Especially if you considder the fact they have done NOTHING in terms of size of bag limits to stem the decline. Its Status Quo. So is it reasonable to project another 25% decrease over the next 4 years? I don't see why not. These numbers match my personal experience. I could go out this weekend and absolutely hammer the fish and the weekend after and another after that. Who knows maybe they show up on those eels that the blues are eating right now. I still would stand by my statement that overall the numbers are way down. We used to have MAJOR blitzes on mullet starting in september and a pretty predictable fishery till xmass time. And some years till mid january. I hope I am wrong and they just have changed their feeding habbits. There is just as many they just got trickier and migrate primarily off shore due to some very strormy falls in recent years.

finchaser
11-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Yep getting wiped out faster this time then last and it's got nothing to do with bunker boats. The breeders get hammered on in Virginia and Carolina's all winter then they get hammered on here in the spring. Many of which end up in dumpsters after a picture. As the breeding stocks go bye bye the YOY index goes in the shi--er. Last time the commercials wiped them out this time it's the rec'shttp://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/frown.gif

Pebbles
11-23-2010, 05:15 PM
It is so amazing to read account and account of how the striped bass is diminishing. Even more disturbing is how there are so many who don't believe it.

What could be some of the solutions to the problems? What are you willing to do, people?

finchaser
11-23-2010, 08:59 PM
1 fish 24 to 28 and 1 fish over 34
Gives 28 to 34 inch fish a chance to breed at least once and eliminates people keeping 2 large breeders over 34"

vpass
11-23-2010, 10:48 PM
1 fish 24 to 28 and 1 fish over 34
Gives 28 to 34 inch fish a chance to breed at least once and eliminates people keeping 2 large breeders over 34"

I like the idea of 1 fish from 24inches to 28inches, and no commercial fishing. Slots fish works with the Snook and Redfish down south. It would be ok with me if the season gets closed for a few years and no stripers are allowed to be taken. (Catch and Release only)

surfstix1963
11-24-2010, 06:43 AM
Starting to look like the 80's again, a closure may be the answer not that any of us want to see that it would have to be on both ends recs and comm's to be effective enough and it would also have to be the whole striper coast not just a few states.I'm all for slot limits they work there has definitly been a decline of fish over 36" the past few years, although I have not fished this year(think I got a total of about 3 hrs. this fall)the reports are saddening the herring run is going in Montauk and the big fish are 12-18 lbs.sad very sad.If you score a 20 lber now it is a big fish,granted there were some big ones caught earlier but that 30-50lb. stock of fish are diminishing quickly all for a photo op and who knows after that in the garbage I wouldn't want to eat a fish that big might just as well chew on your tire.If more people took cameras and scales to the beach and practiced C&R the problem wouldn't be so bad I'm not knocking people who keep their fish I eat fish to but putting the majority back will ensure (i hope) you can battle that big fish at some point and it is not wrong to send it back and let someone else do the same.BTW Thanks for posting Fin.

jonthepain
11-24-2010, 12:44 PM
slots worked before; why not again?

nitestrikes
11-24-2010, 09:10 PM
We have kind of a slot in LI, but not quite, one at 28", and one over 40". I would be happy if they made it so both fish have to be over 40" for you to keep one or 2. I doubt a lot of guys would support it, though. We have to do something. This is my worst year ever surf fishing, and I have been doing it over 30 years.

fishinmission78
11-24-2010, 09:37 PM
[I]Striped bass population is in the dumps. Even a critically low biomass will have localized bodies of fish feeding aggresivly. But what we are seeing is not a healthy dispersion of fish. There is just not enough to go around. A reply to some of the follow up comments on my post. A video or report of blitzing bass in a localized area is not proof of a healthy stock. I am pretty sure there IS more fish on the way. But that in itself is an indication of trouble. Its november in NJ, water is 55 degrees. We should not need to wait for more fish to arive. Wheres the local fish. The ones that winter over. The spead of fish up and down the coast line we used to see. Someone mentioned the fish fill in those southern beaches every year this time. OK well they used to also be up here at the same time because there was a lot more of them.

1. A video of a blitz does not mean that there is a healthy stock.

Def agree with this, where are all the different size classes?

2. Wheres the local fish?

They are not here anymore. They leave in the summer and don't come back until late fall. Even some of the bridges I fish are like barren of all bass until sept. They used to be around all year, and it was never a problem to get a quick 5 bass when you got skunked and just wanted some pullage at the end of the line. Now, good luck finding even those little dinks.

jigfreak
11-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Def agree with this, where are all the different size classes?

2. Wheres the local fish?

They are not here anymore. They leave in the summer and don't come back until late fall. Even some of the bridges I fish are like barren of all bass until sept. They used to be around all year, and it was never a problem to get a quick 5 bass when you got skunked and just wanted some pullage at the end of the line. Now, good luck finding even those little dinks.

The lack of some size classes is so obvious its unreal. There are usually a lot of small fish you can jig at the bridges. This year has been lame, even for that.

voyager35
11-27-2010, 09:15 PM
The breeders get hammered on in Virginia and Carolina's all winter then they get hammered on here in the spring. Many of which end up in dumpsters after a picture. Last time the commercials wiped them out this time it's the rec's

Agreed, the spring bunker chunkers aren't bad when it's cold out, because a lot of guys will keep the meat. Personally, I don't think the meat from a 40lb bass is as good as a smaller bass in the teens. One problem is some of the fishing in the late spring and early part of summer. A lot of guys aren't prepared to take care of the big bass on bunker (not enough ice, cooler too small, etc). They weigh the fish after it sits around all day. By not taking care of it right away, the meat spoils and it ends up in the dumpster. What a waste of a resource.

DarkSkies
11-28-2010, 02:30 PM
Fin has been fishing for over 55 years. :whoo:

He's seen it all. Some might think he's preaching. Some might think of him as chicken little claiming "the sky is falling" when in fact there's no danger at all....

If you do think that, I respectfully submit you haven't been fishing for very long, or have not had to experience the lean fruitless bass fishing years that led to the striped bass moratorium in 1982.

People, we're not preaching catch and release and joining PETA here. :laugh:
All we're asking people to do is look at the gov't documented ASMFC declines in YOY bass numbers. Ask yourselves if the stock is healthier than it's ever been, how is this decline possible? :huh:

Many who have a few decades of fishing experience understand this, they don't need it "explained" to them. There are some outspoken charter captains and writers out there who are trying to bring their anecdotal evidence and experiences to others.

We need to keep reaching the younger anglers out there. We need to keep reaching out to them, and illustrating why their 4, 5 or less years of experience doesn't give them the full perspective or allow them to see the complete picture of a trend that may not be apparent enough until it's again time to close the striped bass fishery.

I hope that we can continue to do that here without seeming antagonistic.
Aggressive, Yes http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon14.png
Antagonistic, No.

DarkSkies
11-28-2010, 02:44 PM
I did run into a grumpy old sharpie I know. He's retired, and fishes every day, morning, night, drives all over to get into fish. He claimed that although he did get some decent fish, this is his worst surf season in years. I respectfully agree. More on that in another thread. :fishing:

This guy mentioned above and his friends fish every day. They usually know within a few hours when a fish is caught. No internet or tackle shop reports in their lives, these guys just want to fish, and catch a fish or 2.

Some more of what he said to me today:

"6 years ago, the fish were all over the surf for the spring and fall. Every day I would catch 20 or 30, if I tried. I know they are out in the deeper water, my son tells me all the time. But for years we had plenty of fish near the beach. The trophy and tournament guys, they are killing too many big fish. It is getting just like it did before they closed fishing down, the moratorium. I shouldn't have to drive all over the state to catch a few fish. It's terrible now, and anyone who says it isn't is still wet behind the ears."

DarkSkies
11-28-2010, 03:10 PM
A great quote from a phone conversation with one of the OFFC today http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon14.png

“We can ignore reality,” author Ayn Rand once said, “but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.”

cowherder
11-28-2010, 05:16 PM
A great quote from a phone conversation with one of the OFFC today http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon14.png

“We can ignore reality,” author Ayn Rand once said, “but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.”

:thumbsup::clapping: Well said.

Doublerunner
11-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Serious problems. Unfortunately many do not want to get involved. My club is very active in writing letter, sending emails, making phone calls, and attending meetings on all fronts. More people need to take a few m inutes to get involved in this type of work.

Secondly, reduce the rec catch to 1 per angler with a slot size.
For charter boats that have huge fleets or do numerous trips per day/week/month we need to set a daily/weekly/monthly limit on them.

Third, reduce the commercial quota and count by-catch towards that quota

I would prefer the above 3 options before giving it "gamefish" status

If these are not done then there will be another moratorium and that will be very sad.

fishinmission78
12-09-2010, 08:29 AM
Fin has been fishing for over 55 years. :whoo:

He's seen it all. Some might think he's preaching. Some might think of him as chicken little claiming "the sky is falling" when in fact there's no danger at all....

If you do think that, I respectfully submit you haven't been fishing for very long, or have not had to experience the lean fruitless bass fishing years that led to the striped bass moratorium in 1982.

People, we're not preaching catch and release and joining PETA here. :laugh:
All we're asking people to do is look at the gov't documented ASMFC declines in YOY bass numbers. Ask yourselves if the stock is healthier than it's ever been, how is this decline possible? :huh:

Many who have a few decades of fishing experience understand this, they don't need it "explained" to them.

I'm glad you qualified that you're not all about catch and release. I can't stand someone leaning over my shoulder telling me whether or not I should keep a bass.
Here is a guy who has no clue at all. He references how the fishing is declining, and at the same time says the fishing will be great for the next few years. He's the owner of a tackle shop website. I have news for you, it doesn't work that way. He should buy a clue:

"The fishing on the Jersey Shore is cycling back to the way it was in the late 80's and early 90's and I think should be good for a lot of years to come."

:don't know why:

bababooey
12-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Don't hate that guy, FnM, he has a lot of clams to sell. Bunker too. Who would come down and buy them if he didn't hype it all up? I don't fish the surf that much, but this was my worst season on the boat in the past 5 years. We had a great spring, obviously that was due to the bunker. Usually you can hit the bay at night or early morning for some bass by plugging or bucktailing the sedges. Or anchor up in back of the inlet and get a few keepers clamming. It's hit and miss fishing, and is usually productive. This year those numbers were way down for me. I can travel hit 10 or 20 different spots or coves in a morning, and they usually produce.

This year I had my best results in the ocean. We did get a lot of bluefish in the back bays. However it seems like a lot of Barnegat had only a shadow of the fishing it has been in the past for us. There are actually guys out there who are saying we have an increase in the number of bass. IOW, those guys are either newbies, or delusional.I think a lot of people don't want to admit trends they might notice. Either they don't keep log books, have selective memory, or have only been fishing 5 years or less. Those are the guy who really amuse me. You will notice on the web sites how they claim to be experts, yet 5 years ago they were just getting started. How can you claim to have a wealth of experience if you don't even know what fishing during the moratorium was like?

DarkSkies
01-01-2015, 01:06 PM
from 2010