PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Skull weave

Doublerunner
11-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Here are some pics of a "weave" I just put on a rod.

This first pic shows all the threads loaded onto the loom. There are almost 400 individual threads in total

The weave has now started and there are about 20 wraps/turns done in this pattern so far. There are 7 total colors being used. It's too soon to see the image developing

Now I am about 75 percent done and you can see the image developing

The image is complete

This pic shows the image and the top trim band

And now both trim bands are on and all I need to do now is put the finish on

vpass
11-28-2010, 07:22 PM
:wow: That's cool.:heart: How long did that take you?

I had done simple weaves with 1 colors, and maybe 20 rows of tread. I know your is complicated. that would make a great winter project.

Doublerunner
11-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Thank you for the kind words. About 3 hours to design it, about 4 hours to load it on the loom and about 40 hours to weave it. 6 color changes and 109 passes x 90 threads wide. Size A ncp over size D ncp

DarkSkies
11-29-2010, 02:54 PM
That's a sick wrap! :drool:
You're really ramping up your wrapping skills, Doublerunner. I hope to see some sweet customs coming out of your workshop soon. :thumbsup:

rockhopper
11-29-2010, 04:16 PM
Wow that is awesome. A lot of guys use the fish decals and such, its cool to see some different thinking out there. Do you listen to metal or do you just like skulls?

wish4fish
11-29-2010, 04:43 PM

yeah dude skulls rule about how much do u charge to do a rod?

finchaser
11-29-2010, 06:14 PM
:thumbsup:Very nice you must have good eyes and patience of a saint

Doublerunner
11-29-2010, 08:44 PM
yeah dude skulls rule about how much do u charge to do a rod?

I charge for the cost of materials plus $100

Doublerunner
11-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Wow that is awesome. A lot of guys use the fish decals and such, its cool to see some different thinking out there. Do you listen to metal or do you just like skulls?

That was done at the request of the rod owner. That is not my rod

Doublerunner
11-29-2010, 08:46 PM
You're really ramping up your wrapping skills, Doublerunner. I hope to see some sweet customs coming out of your workshop soon. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the kind words. I have 5 rods ordered to be built as of right now. Wait until you see the next one. A 9/11 theme on a super surf blank

Doublerunner
11-29-2010, 08:47 PM
:thumbsup:Very nice you must have good eyes and patience of a saint

Thank you for the kind words. It does take a lot of patience but I really enjoy it. As for the eyes I do use a magnification lens for the really detailed, intricate stuff

Doublerunner
11-29-2010, 08:54 PM
test to see if I can zoom in better on the pics

Doublerunner
11-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Guess not. With some sites you can

vpass
11-30-2010, 12:03 PM
I charge for the cost of materials plus $100

That Weave is worth alot more than that. Maybe a simple weave that take less then 10 hours total. I'm still looking at you skull weave. I don't have the balls to tackle something like that.:wow:

Doublerunner
11-30-2010, 02:24 PM
That Weave is worth alot more than that. Maybe a simple weave that take less then 10 hours total. I'm still looking at you skull weave. I don't have the balls to tackle something like that.:wow:

Thank you. If I charged by the hour then no one would buy one. It's a passion and I enjoy doing them. Plus I don't want to mass produce them so I just build them one at a time and really try to get into each one so that it has it's own flair. Maybe that is why I have 5 rods to build right now which will take me most of the winter probably. If you think that was intricate wait until you see the next one I am doing. It's a custom 9/11 theme with a matching guide and butt wrap. 8 colors. It is going to be awesome.

Doublerunner
11-30-2010, 02:25 PM

Thank you. If I charged by the hour then no one would buy one. It's a passion and I enjoy doing them. Plus I don't want to mass produce them so I just build them one at a time and really try to get into each one so that it has it's own flair. Maybe that is why I have 5 rods to build right now which will take me most of the winter probably. If you think that was intricate wait until you see the next one I am doing. It's a custom 9/11 theme with a matching guide and butt wrap. 8 colors. It is going to be awesome.

vpass
11-30-2010, 03:46 PM
Thank you. If I charged by the hour then no one would buy one. It's a passion and I enjoy doing them. Plus I don't want to mass produce them so I just build them one at a time and really try to get into each one so that it has it's own flair. Maybe that is why I have 5 rods to build right now which will take me most of the winter probably. If you think that was intricate wait until you see the next one I am doing. It's a custom 9/11 theme with a matching guide and butt wrap. 8 colors. It is going to be awesome.\

Can't wait to see it.:drool:

Pebbles
11-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Very impressive.

DarkSkies
12-01-2010, 07:50 AM
test to see if I can zoom in better on the pics

Doublerunner, it's now a lot easier to post and manipulate pics. It does take some getting used to, though.

There is a good tutorial posted by Paco33 in post 14 of this thread:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7261-New-Look-at-Stripers-and-Anglers/page2

Take a look at it and see if it helps. You can use the attachment (paperclip) feature to post pics this way.
If you still have difficulty after going through the steps, PM me and I'll try to walk ya through it.

The step-by-step process you illustrated there is very helpful to others who might want to see the different stages. I'll try my best to help you showcase that to people. Thanks for the informative post. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

Doublerunner
12-01-2010, 09:19 PM
12771 12770

Doublerunner
12-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the info Dark. I had tried that way before but having that tutorial helped. It's a few more steps than some others ut does a good job. I think these pics show better detail now

DarkSkies
12-02-2010, 07:39 AM
They do showcase better. The paperclip feature gives you more pic manipulation options. Glad ya were able to use it, your pics really show the details now. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

surfstix1963
12-07-2010, 05:36 AM
That is some damn nice work beautiful patience is not the word.

Doublerunner
12-11-2010, 01:58 PM
\

Can't wait to see it.:drool:

Hopefully soon. 8 colors. 444 individual threads. Over 200 turns. About 3/4 done now on the weave. Still have to do the dec wrap and guides after that. I'll post up the weave when it is done

bluesdude71
12-12-2010, 10:58 AM
9/11?
I would love to see that. Look forward to the pics when done.

Doublerunner
12-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Finished off the 9/11 weave last night about midnight. Had to cut it off unfortunately. I made some mistakes in my patterns design and no way of salvaging yet. I am re-designing it on mjy computer right now to correct the problem areas. About 40 hours weaving down the drain but I want it to be perfect

Oh well. Still learning

vpass
12-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Finished off the 9/11 weave last night about midnight. Had to cut it off unfortunately. I made some mistakes in my patterns design and no way of salvaging yet. I am re-designing it on mjy computer right now to correct the problem areas. About 40 hours weaving down the drain but I want it to be perfect

Oh well. Still learning

:wow: 40 hours. 444 treads. Holy cows. Probably need a few days off before attempting again.

are you using special software. or the old fashion grid paper. I can't imagine 444 treads.:scared:

tropics
01-14-2011, 05:38 AM
Nice job on the weaves, sorry to see you lost that 9-11

braskyrod
07-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Doublerunner. What software are you using to create your weaves. I'm about to do a 13'0" heaver for Cape Hatteras and I got to do the skull. I've looked for weaves, and I think your skull is the only thing I think I can put on the rod. Awesome work. :d