PDA

View Full Version : An Obama "gift" - your help is needed for the NJ fishing license

finchaser
11-29-2010, 06:25 PM
You people who voted for Obama should really be proud.:2flip:

Recreational Fishing Alliance Contact: Jim Hutchinson, Jr. / 888-564-6732
* ACTION ALERT * 11/29/2010

** RFA-NJ ACTION ALERT - ANGLERS URGED TO SUPPORT S1122**
Time Is Running Out For NJ Coastal Fishermen

November 29, 2010 - Starting January 1, saltwater fishermen in New Jersey will be required to pay $15 to the federal government in order to fish upon state coastal waters. To avoid the fee, New Jersey need only pass Senate Bill number S1122 which is now resting in the Senate Environment Committee chaired by Piscataway Democrat Senator Robert Smith. An Assembly version (A823) has already passed (54-16) which would allow the state to apply for "exempted state designation from the federal registration requirements" and would require the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) to maintain a free annual registry program to meet the new federal mandate for data collection.

Surfcasters, boaters, tackle shops, party and charter boat captains, marina owners, and livery operators up and down the Jersey Shore have openly supported S1122, and the Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA) and our allies in the coastal community have spent three years pushing to get this registry legislation passed on their behalf. In recent months, we've met with a number of legislators including both Senators and Assembly representatives, and have found there's overwhelming support in Trenton to get S1122 out of committee; RFA has even heard from the Governor's own staff on their commitment to fulfilling a campaign pledge to not implement any new taxes on New Jersey residents, which is precisely what a fee to fish will be.

Sen. Robert Smith, however, refuses to move S1122 for a committee vote unless the DEP supports the legislation - which they don't because it doesn't have a bloated user fee attached. The democratic process in New Jersey is essentially being held up by Trenton bureaucrats who want anglers to pay the annual $15 fee to fish starting in 2011, perhaps in hopes we'll be more willing to pay a state fishing tax in the future once we've gotten the foul taste of a federal charge. If S1122 doesn't move out of committee where it can get a full Senate vote before the year is out, saltwater anglers in New Jersey will be forced to pay this federal tax on saltwater fishing starting January 1.

Despite protests within the committee itself - from across both sides of the political aisle - Chairman Smith refuses to move this legislation. Regrettably, this is our political process today, and there seems to be very little we can do to fix the issue of elected leadership answering to an appointed bureaucracy instead of the will of the people. Legislators often make promises to clear the road blocks created by bureaucrats, but at the end of the day the process is still broken.

You'll hear plenty of bureaucratic rhetoric about this saltwater registry legislation being an "unfunded mandate." However, as the facts clearly show, a 'no-cost' saltwater registry has already been paid in full by the resident and non-resident saltwater anglers of New Jersey.

Fact 1: US Fish & Wildlife estimates there are 496,000 resident and non-resident saltwater anglers in the state of New Jersey.

Fact 2: DEP testified that the current mechanism for registering hunters and anglers can be used for the saltwater registry and would cost the state $1.01 per entry.

Fact 3: Combine Fact 1 and Fact 2 and the estimated maximum cost to implement a no-fee saltwater registry would total $500,960.

Fact 4: As of late November, 182,067 New Jersey residents registered federally to fish coastal waters in 2010 - another 63,026 from Pennsylvania - a total of 245,093 registered saltwater New Jersey anglers.

Fact 5: Combine Fact 2 and Fact 4 and the estimated 2010 cost of implementing a no-cost registry in New Jersey would've totaled $247,544.

Fact 6: A 2006 US Fish & Wildlife survey ranked New Jersey 5th in the nation amongst coastal states in terms of overall saltwater retail sales with an estimated $643.6 million spent on saltwater tackle.

Fact 7: Based on a 7% sales tax, saltwater tackle sales contribute over $45 million in state tax revenue.

Fact 8: A 10% federal excise tax on all fishing equipment means New Jersey's saltwater anglers contributed $65 million in federal taxes to the federal Sport Fish Restoration Fund.

Fact 9: For fiscal year 2010, New Jersey was entitled to receive $3.8 million back in federal Sport Fish Restoration Funds.

Fact 10: New Jersey will continue receiving at least 1% of the total apportioned amount of Sport Fish Restoration Funds (maximum allowed is 5%) regardless of whether there's a fee to fish state coastal waters or not.

RFA has been very outspoken about getting this registry legislation passed - if some of the other groups in New Jersey had helped do some of the heavy lifting (instead of sitting on top of the boulder that's sitting directly in our path), maybe we wouldn't be facing down the barrel of a loaded shotgun right about now. Everybody's got ideas and opinions - what New Jersey anglers need now is action!

The fact of the matter is, there's only one available option at this time which would help saltwater anglers in New Jersey avoid paying a federal saltwater user fee - there's only been one available option in play for the past 3+ years, and that's the saltwater registry legislation currently stuck in Senator Robert Smith's Senate Environment Committee in Trenton.

To find your local legislator, visit www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/legsearch.asp (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=hclmspcab&et=1103996404736&s=10015&e=001z3G8gxORw_gYPEotsnam9Y9nI7_Oky7ra2IeejAqu-vO1SlngbdJ6u02yRefDw7_oJ5yjevAdDgX6f97Haij0iGYE-ya9XWgp1HS1guCvIriuP1D0uP8du6IlEsMt5WbxNSdnDSm0KwO 17K-PhAVNQ==) - call your state senator today and urge him/her to have Sen. Smith convene his committee before time has run out on our saltwater angling community. There's still time for a committee hearing, and there's still time for New Jersey's Senate to match the actions of the Assembly in clearing this legislative hurdle, on behalf of our coastal fishermen.

Ask your state Senator to remind Sen. Smith that there's still time to post S1122 in committee - failure to do so will subject you as a constituent to a new $15 federal surcharge on fishing.

If Senator Robert Smith chooses to use his political muscle to suppress S1122 at the urging of the DEP, a half-million over-taxed voters will awaken on New Year's Day to a brand new saltwater user fee, avoidable today by a simple act of democratic process.

gjb1969
11-30-2010, 02:30 AM
well is time to get my new card and they all suck a$$ pay to fish salt its on the way i fish will now change:soapbox::viking::lynchmob::argue::2flip::mo on::banghead2::bonk::banned:

storminsteve
11-30-2010, 08:59 AM
You people who voted for Obama should really be proud.:2flip:

Despite protests within the committee itself - from across both sides of the political aisle - Chairman Smith refuses to move this legislation. Regrettably, this is our political process today, and there seems to be very little we can do to fix the issue of elected leadership answering to an appointed bureaucracy instead of the will of the people. Legislators often make promises to clear the road blocks created by bureaucrats, but at the end of the day the process is still broken.

Chairman Smith - remember this a-hole's name and actions on election day. Vote him out, we don't need trash like him representing us. He probably got paid off to stall the bill, what a tool!http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon8.png

hookset
11-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Half of these guys have no clue about why when or where we fish. Take back the choices from them, support someone who can get things done, join the RFA.

seamonkey
12-02-2010, 10:00 AM

To find your local legislator, visit www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/legsearch.asp (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=hclmspcab&et=1103996404736&s=10015&e=001z3G8gxORw_gYPEotsnam9Y9nI7_Oky7ra2IeejAqu-vO1SlngbdJ6u02yRefDw7_oJ5yjevAdDgX6f97Haij0iGYE-ya9XWgp1HS1guCvIriuP1D0uP8du6IlEsMt5WbxNSdnDSm0KwO 17K-PhAVNQ==) - call your state senator today and urge him/her to have Sen. Smith convene his committee before time has run out on our saltwater angling community. There's still time for a committee hearing, and there's still time for New Jersey's Senate to match the actions of the Assembly in clearing this legislative hurdle, on behalf of our coastal fishermen.

Ask your state Senator to remind Sen. Smith that there's still time to post S1122 in committee - failure to do so will subject you as a constituent to a new $15 federal surcharge on fishing.

Here is the e-mail of Sen Smith, do what you can to bombard him and let him know what he is doing is not acceptable. It only takes a few minutes, guys!

Senator Bob Smith
216 Stelton Rd.
Suite E-5
Piscataway, NJ 08854

(732) 752-0770
Fax: (732) 752-1590

SenBSmith@njleg.org (SenBSmith@njleg.org)

I just sent mine 5 minutes ago.

captnemo
12-02-2010, 10:13 AM
I composed one as well. It doesn't have to be a long haranguing e-mail, though I wish I could give this guy a piece of my mind in person.:burn:

Here is mine, copy and send, or add your own comments. It only takes a minute to send an e-mail.

To - SenBSmith@NJLeg.org

Dear Senator Smith. I am a NJ fisherman, and spend upwards of $5000/year on tackle and other expenses to fish in this beautiful state I live in. I have had it with the increases in fees and the taxes that are unfairly assessed on NJ fishermen. I and other fishermen are weary of unfair gov't intervention in our salt-water fishing.

I'm contacting you about Bill S1122.
It's my understanding you are holding this up at the request of the DEP.
There's still time to post S1122 in committee - failure to do so will subject me as a constituent to a new $15 federal surcharge on fishing.

I urge as a representative of your constituents, that you post and do what you can to support this bill. We voters are the ones who elect you, not the DEP.

Remember, we fish,
WE vote.

Thank you for your anticipated support in this matter.
Sincerely,

fishinmission78
12-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Just e-mailed my letter. I copied yours captnemo, thanks.

bababooey
12-02-2010, 02:29 PM
I did the same, thanks Nemo!

cowherder
12-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks for making it so easy. I copied and sent it, and also sent a copy to Gov Christie's e-mail.

http://www.state.nj.us/governor/contact/

The topic I selected was "environment", and sub-topic was "hunting and fishing"

storminsteve
12-02-2010, 04:00 PM
E-mail sent, thanks.

speedy
12-02-2010, 04:37 PM
me to bro thanks

clamchucker
12-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Thank you for the information finchaser and captain nemo. If an old Sr Citizen like me can do it, you young folks can do too. I sent an e-mail. It took me about 5 minutes from start to finish. And I probably type a lot slower than some of you young bucks. If you don't contact your lawmakers, do not gripe about it when you don't get the results you wanted.

DarkSkies
12-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the head's up people. Although it's been said that e-mails are not as effective as letter writing, a barrage of e-mails is better than nothing.

Bob Smith needs to be made aware that there are a lot of us out there. As someone here said...We fish, we vote. I'm sending mine today. Please take a moment and send Bob Smith a respectful but assertive e-mail.

I do have a problem with the whole "fee for fishing the salt" concept, especially if the user fees are way higher than the cost of actually running the program and improvements. Nonetheless, it would be better if our money eventually went into NJ, as Finchaser and others have mentioned. The politicians need to act on this instead of tabling it.

Please try to do what you can to help this happen. Thanks.

bababooey
12-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Sen. Robert Smith, however, refuses to move S1122 for a committee vote unless the DEP supports the legislation - which they don't because it doesn't have a bloated user fee attached. The democratic process in New Jersey is essentially being held up by Trenton bureaucrats who want anglers to pay the annual $15 fee to fish starting in 2011, perhaps in hopes we'll be more willing to pay a state fishing tax in the future once we've gotten the foul taste of a federal charge. If S1122 doesn't move out of committee where it can get a full Senate vote before the year is out, saltwater anglers in New Jersey will be forced to pay this federal tax on saltwater fishing starting January 1.

Ristori said the same thing in his blog, thanks for publicizing this finchaser.
Send those e-mails out asap, folks.
Looks like Sen Smith and the others in the Senate are playing a strategic game of chess, to get us to grudgingly accept the NJ license fees that will eventually be passed. Dirty politics and NJ, perfect together.

Saltwater anglers hit with a $15 paperwork fee

Published: Thursday, December 02, 2010, 9:54 PM Updated: Thursday, December 02, 2010, 9:59 PM

Al Ristori (http://connect.nj.com/user/ajristor/index.html)

The federally required saltwater angler registry was free this year but, as specified by Congress, a charge must be imposed next year to cover the cost of paperwork.
The National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration announced this week that the fee in 2011 will be $15 for recreational fishermen in New Jersey and Hawaii that fish in federal waters (except on party and charter boats), or for anadromous fish such as striped bass, shad and river herring.

Anglers in the other states have licenses or a state registration that will serve the same purpose. New Jersey fishermen with licenses from other states are covered.
As those who did the free registration online or by phone this year are aware, it is a very simple procedure.
They only want your name, address and phone number in order to create a registry of recreational fishermen to call for the Marine Recreational Fishing Statistics Survey rather than using random calls out of coastal phone directories to determine fishing effort.
Unfortunately, the funds paid by fishermen will not improve fisheries, as those fees go to the federal treasury. It says a lot about the efficiency of NOAA that it costs $15 to enter a name, address and telephone number from a phone call or e-mail. Imagine what they might charge for doing anything more complicated.
Short of adopting a state saltwater license (which hasn’t even been proposed as yet), the only way for anglers to avoid the registry fee next year is for the state to offer a free, or very low cost, state registry that meets NOAA’s requirements.
Legislation to do so was passed in the Assembly earlier this year by a vote of 54-16. The companion bill in the Senate (S1122) has been tied up in the Senate Environmental Committee.
Tom Fote of the Jersey Coast Angler’s Association has spoken to Committee Chairman Sen. Robert Smith (D-Piscataway), who scheduled a hearing on the legislation for Thursday at 10 a.m. in Trenton.
Smith indicated he is in favor of the legislation, but has been concerned about the funding. The state can handle the registry for a fraction of what NOAA will be charging, but there must be some funding to cover a free registry as the Marine Fisheries budget has been cut.
http://www.nj.com/shore/blogs/fishing/index.ssf/2010/12/saltwater_anglers_hit_with_a_1.html

voyager35
12-09-2010, 03:40 PM
A heads up to you folks that they agreed on the presentation of the bill in the Senate committee today. They still have to vote on it in the Senate, but it least it is on the table.

That piece of crap Senator Bob Smith abstained from voting. We all know which senator not to vote for come election day.
Here is the synopsis from another site:

"Just got a call from Jim Hutchinson from the RFA. He was in Trenton at the Senate committee hearing this morning with Jim Donofrio. Senator Smith finally bowing to pressure put the free angler registry legislation up for a committee vote and it passed unanimously with only Senator Smith abstaining!

Senator Van Drew provided extremely well documented testimony detailing the importance of recreational saltwater fishing to the state, the millions it generated in tax revenue, the money the state receives from the federal Wallop-Breaux Funds and how it is designated and how important fishing is to the shore area and overall state economy. He hit every salient point perfectly and backed it up with the facts putting everyone on the committee at ease with the decision to support the legislation.

Hutch and Jim Donofrio asked me to extend to all of you who wrote, emailed and called your State Senators and those who took time to attend today's meeting in Trenton a BIG THANK YOU!

We are facing so many issues that are aimed at destroying recreational fishing in saltwater and when we pull together we can get things done.

The legislation is slated for a floor vote in the Senate before the end of the year, where it is expect to pass handily. If one of your representatives is on the committee, call their office and thank them for their actions today. If not, call your state senator and tell them to vote for the legislation when it comes to the floor next week."